Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Brickell305

Re: OAG Changes 4/19/2020:F9 Cuts AUG/SEP;DL Exits JAXRDU;UA Follows AA by Decimating Int'l for May and Summer, Drops SC

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:21 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
phllax wrote:
enilria wrote:
The stuff not dropped is now the more interesting part
*AF MIA-PAP MAY 0.5>0.2[0.6]

This flight is a lifeline for the French Caribbean. Cargo and other essential food stuffs are what is keeping it going.

Also keeps the MIA-based 320s slightly active. Are there two AF 320s based at MIA?

The 320s are based in PTP, not MIA.

Judge1310

Re: OAG Changes 4/19/2020:F9 Cuts AUG/SEP;DL Exits JAXRDU;UA Follows AA by Decimating Int'l for May and Summer, Drops SC

Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:31 pm

DDR wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
With their blood tests being done, EK plans to come into BOS with the A380 straight away. They say.

What blood test? No way would I ever submit to a blood test to an airline in order to travel. I can’t believe the US government would allow this.

My WORD, calm down there, mate! EK did COVID-19 antibody blood tests on one flight from Dubai to Tunisia. Why? I can only surmise as a test. But honestly, just as it's not permissible to fly if one has a transmissible/communicable illness. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of checks involving this virus also be implemented with current and future security protocols.

Cubsrule

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:25 am

Judge1310 wrote:
DDR wrote:
ChrisNH38 wrote:
With their blood tests being done, EK plans to come into BOS with the A380 straight away. They say.

What blood test? No way would I ever submit to a blood test to an airline in order to travel. I can’t believe the US government would allow this.

My WORD, calm down there, mate! EK did COVID-19 antibody blood tests on one flight from Dubai to Tunisia. Why? I can only surmise as a test. But honestly, just as it's not permissible to fly if one has a transmissible/communicable illness. I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of checks involving this virus also be implemented with current and future security protocols.

What’s the point of booking any travel if you might be denied boarding over a disease you don’t even know you have?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

Sctvman

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:41 am

ATL-CHS getting cut to 2 flights a day on DL. That’s a legacy route.

mcogator

Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:45 am

United1 wrote:
mcogator wrote:
All that's left on LAX-MCO is UA. Not sure why they are the last ones standing on this route, as I thought DL would be. DL just got rid of their last one, as I received the email about my May flight last night around 1am pst. Now I'm connecting in ATL.

UA and AA handle most of Disney's corporate travel but LAX/SFO-MCO are not operating right now on UA.

AA 2279 looks like it's still running.

I just saw that UA removed their LAX-MCO flight today. My good friend is upper management at Disney in Burbank, and he only flies DL to MCO. I asked him what their policy was, and he replied

We use Amex travel and concur and have rates with everyone. I prefer Delta and book on corp card using amex travel
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

United1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:06 am

mcogator wrote:
United1 wrote:
mcogator wrote:
All that's left on LAX-MCO is UA. Not sure why they are the last ones standing on this route, as I thought DL would be. DL just got rid of their last one, as I received the email about my May flight last night around 1am pst. Now I'm connecting in ATL.

UA and AA handle most of Disney's corporate travel but LAX/SFO-MCO are not operating right now on UA.

I just saw that UA removed their LAX-MCO flight today. My good friend is upper management at Disney in Burbank, and he only flies DL to MCO. I asked him what their policy was, and he replied

We use Amex travel and concur and have rates with everyone. I prefer Delta and book on corp card using amex travel

At one point UA had Disney's corporate travel contract, AA won some of that business a few years ago (one of the reasons why they opened a club at MCO) guess Disney has opened it up further. Which would not be too surprising considering how large of a company Disney is.

Right now UA is routing anyone who is traveling to MCO via IAD, IAH, ORD and DEN with some day of the week cancelations.

AA operating LAX-MCO is not horribly surprising considering how slowly they have been to react to all of this.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

MAH4546

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:39 am

United1 wrote:
mcogator wrote:
United1 wrote:

At one point UA had Disney's corporate travel contract, AA won some of that business a few years ago (one of the reasons why they opened a club at MCO) guess Disney has opened it up further. Which would not be too surprising considering how large of a company Disney is.

Right now UA is routing anyone who is traveling to MCO via IAD, IAH, ORD and DEN with some day of the week cancelations.

AA operating LAX-MCO is not horribly surprising considering how slowly they have been to react to all of this.

Slowly? AA has been the first airline to slash schedules far ahead, including Europe. It is the largest airline at LAX and the largest airline on LAXMCO and at points operates 4-5x daily so no shock it’s the surviving carrier for the moment.
a.

tphuang

Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:47 am

At this point, Doug Parker has been the most optimistic of the big 3 CEOs about industry recovery. And AA has been the slowest among big 3 in cutting flights recently. Both UA and DL are probably canceling 90% of their flights. AA is scheduling probably 20 to 25% of their flights still.

I mean do they really need to operate 300+ flights from DFW still? The burn rate for AA has got to be higher than UA/DL.

United1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:12 am

MAH4546 wrote:
United1 wrote:
mcogator wrote:

Slowly? AA has been the first airline to slash schedules far ahead, including Europe. It is the largest airline at LAX and the largest airline on LAXMCO and at points operates 4-5x daily so no shock it’s the surviving carrier for the moment.

Yup slowly both DL and UA have been far more aggressive at cutting empty flights. AA is still flying a lot of empty aircraft around far more than DL and UA are. AA needs to cut and consolidate more than they already have...but hey if they want to burn money who am I to complain.

AA is not that much larger than its peers are at LAX. LAX is a very fragmented market and while AA is the largest it's certainly not larger by orders of magnitude.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

United1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:22 am

tphuang wrote:
At this point, Doug Parker has been the most optimistic of the big 3 CEOs about industry recovery. And AA has been the slowest among big 3 in cutting flights recently. Both UA and DL are probably canceling 90% of their flights. AA is scheduling probably 20 to 25% of their flights still.

I mean do they really need to operate 300+ flights from DFW still? The burn rate for AA has got to be higher than UA/DL.

This stat can't be right....per Flightaware.

AA canceled 302 flights today or 15% of their scheduled flights. That implies AA operated 1700 flights today...if they are flying that many flights AA must be burning money.

Putting that in perspective UA had roughly 500 flights scheduled today but only operated around 250 of them. That is just mainline BTW.

chepos

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:36 am

United1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

AA canceled 302 flights today or 15% of their scheduled flights. That implies AA operated 1700 flights today...if they are flying that many flights AA must be burning money.

Putting that in perspective UA had roughly 500 flights scheduled today but only operated around 250 of them. That is just mainline BTW.

AA is not operating a full April schedule, it is operating at about 25% of regular schedule and proactively canceling based on the demand. Next month it is drawn down even more. I am sure you have noticed this, in past OAG threads and the drama that ensues because people believe AA has reduced schedules too much. IE look at the past two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

chepos

United1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

AA is not operating a full April schedule, it is operating at about 25% of regular schedule and proactively canceling based on the demand. Next month it is drawn down even more. I am sure you have noticed this, in past OAG threads and the drama that ensues because people believe AA has reduced schedules too much. IE look at the past two weeks.

Fly the Flag!!!!

admanager

Sctvman wrote:
ATL-CHS getting cut to 2 flights a day on DL. That’s a legacy route.

That caught my attention too. I've probably taken that route 250 times over 5 decades - from flight aware, it appears there were 12 commercial flights departing today from CHS.
Sad.

United1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:50 am

chepos wrote:
United1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

AA has definitely cut flights, no one is disputing that, just not as aggressively as UA or DL have. Looking at a press release before all this “fun” started AA mentioned it flew 6800 flights a day. Obviously that is mainline and commuter combined but....25% of that is 1700 flights a day. That seems very high when the TSA has reported a 97% drop in passengers going through the checkpoints.

It will be interesting to read these threads, thanks Mr. OP for all the work you do, when AA wakes up. Hopefully sooner rather than later for their employees sake.

Brickell305

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:22 am

United1 wrote:
chepos wrote:
United1 wrote:

AA has definitely cut flights, no one is disputing that, just not as aggressively as UA or DL have. Looking at a press release before all this “fun” started AA mentioned it flew 6800 flights a day. Obviously that is mainline and commuter combined but....25% of that is 1700 flights a day. That seems very high when the TSA has reported a 97% drop in passengers going through the checkpoints.

It will be interesting to read these threads, thanks Mr. OP for all the work you do, when AA wakes up. Hopefully sooner rather than later for their employees sake.

I’m very confused by this. If anything, it seems as if AA cut more than anyone else. They’re down to three long haul routes (DFW-LHR, MIA-LHR, and DFW-NRT 3x weekly). They’ve cut NYC to thirteen flights. They’ve turned DCA into a spoke. They don’t fly full schedules out of MIA, ORD, PHX and PHL every day of the week. They’ve downsized DFW and CLT. What more could they cut?

aemoreira1981

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:34 am

Dominion301 wrote:
phllax wrote:
enilria wrote:
The stuff not dropped is now the more interesting part
*AF MIA-PAP MAY 0.5>0.2[0.6]

This flight is a lifeline for the French Caribbean. Cargo and other essential food stuffs are what is keeping it going.

Also keeps the MIA-based 320s slightly active. Are there two AF 320s based at MIA?

Actually they're the PTP-based subfleet.

As for 7S and GV, this makes me wonder why 7H didn't sell the owned fleet to those carriers before filing for bankruptcy or closing, and then negotiate to return the leased frames to lessors, given how essential air travel is in Alaska.

usflyer msp wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:
So looks like G4 is taking the month of May off? Does that mean they aren’t taking a stimulus package? How does that work?

Why not. G4 owns their fleet so they don't need revenue to support aircraft payments. Everything except for crews and HQ staff is contracted out so they would not receive much from the "payroll support" grant section of the relief bill. It may be a better move for them to just shut down and keep a skeleton staff until tourism demand returns. I would not be shocked to see SY do the same.

Not yet, Some of the G4 fleet is under operating lease, particularly the ex-SV A320s (the buyout hasn't been reached yet) and some of the new fleet under sale-leaseback.

Dominion301

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:46 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
phllax wrote:

As for 7S and GV, this makes me wonder why 7H didn't sell the owned fleet to those carriers before filing for bankruptcy or closing, and then negotiate to return the leased frames to lessors, given how essential air travel is in Alaska.

usflyer msp wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:
So looks like G4 is taking the month of May off? Does that mean they aren’t taking a stimulus package? How does that work?

Why not. G4 owns their fleet so they don't need revenue to support aircraft payments. Everything except for crews and HQ staff is contracted out so they would not receive much from the "payroll support" grant section of the relief bill. It may be a better move for them to just shut down and keep a skeleton staff until tourism demand returns. I would not be shocked to see SY do the same.

Not yet, Some of the G4 fleet is under operating lease, particularly the ex-SV A320s (the buyout hasn't been reached yet) and some of the new fleet under sale-leaseback.

Ah that’s true eh. Do AF have a pair there?

United1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:01 am

Brickell305 wrote:
United1 wrote:
chepos wrote:

I’m very confused by this. If anything, it seems as if AA cut more than anyone else. They’re down to three long haul routes (DFW-LHR, MIA-LHR, and DFW-NRT 3x weekly). They’ve cut NYC to thirteen flights. They’ve turned DCA into a spoke. They don’t fly full schedules out of MIA, ORD, PHX and PHL every day of the week. They’ve downsized DFW and CLT. What more could they cut?

I don’t see what is confusing about it.

If traffic has fallen by 97% and your peers have cut 90% of their schedules but you have only cut 75% of your schedule you probably didn’t cut enough.

Maybe AA needs to look at those routes that overfly hubs (like UA and DL have done) and consolidate those passengers onto a flight to DFW/CLT and then onto their final destination. AA seems to be holding onto some sort of almost delusional thinking they can operate almost as many flights as UA and DL do combined. That is a sure fire way in this environment to end up in BK court really quickly especially with their levels of debt. To me it seems like AAs management is asleep as the wheel. Let’s hope that doesn’t cost 130k people their jobs.

Rdh3e

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:21 am

We really should be talking about Southwest. They have barely cut anything relative to the others, they are now 50% larger than next largest carrier (AA).

Here are the carriers ranked by this week scheduled ASMs and their YOY %
WN (23%)
AA (70%)
UA (84%)
DL (84%)
AS (76%)
G4 (16%)
B6 (85%)
NK (91%)
F9 (91%)
SY (67%)
HA (94%)

n7371f

Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:23 am

With the exception of SEA-GEG, these routes are for late fall or even early 2021 - not next month or summer.

hiflyeras wrote:
DL is still showing a crazy amount of flights on some city pairings. Is this still a work in progress? I'd hope so.

DL ATL-EWR DEC 11>9[9] JAN 10>9[9]]
DL ATL-SEA DEC 8>7[6]
DL BOS-JFK DEC 8>7[7] JAN 8>7[7]
DL DEN-LAX JAN 4>3[3]
DL DTW-SEA OCT 6>5[5]
DL GEG-SEA MAY 4>3[8]
DL IDA-SLC OCT 5>4[4] NOV 5>4[4] JAN 5>4[4]
DL JFK-LAX SEP 9>8[8] OCT 9>8[9] NOV 9>8[9] DEC 9>8[9] JAN 9>8[9]
DL JFK-SEA DEC 4>3[4] JAN 4>3[3]
DL PDX-SLC DEC 6>5[5] JAN 6>5[5]
DL PSC-SLC OCT 4>3[3] NOV 4>3[3] DEC 4>3[3] JAN 4>3[3]
DL SEA-SFO SEP 8>7[7] OCT 8>7[7] NOV 8>7[6] JAN 8>7[5]

tphuang

Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:48 am

Yes, southwest has been slower to cancel than everyone else. I suppose that's due to their superior cash position. But their current burn rate is too fast (GK said the CARES money will only last them 2 months!), they will be cutting fast and furious. WN has been very slow in reacting to this imo.

btw, it looks like WN is operating BWI-LGA for May/June. Presumably WN is turning into more of a hub carrier during this time and BWI si handling all the LGA traffic.

hiflyeras

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:03 pm

Other carriers are likely shaking their heads at what's going on at WN. Begging your union employees for pay cuts while burning through cash needlessly?

JFKCMILAXFLL

Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:54 pm

enilria wrote:

DI LGW-MIA MAY 0.9>0[1.0]

RIP DI7043/7044 :(

I never planned to take that flight, but its mid-afternoon arrival and late-afternoon departure was a boon to me for photographic purposes, particularly when it originally flew to FLL. Even after it moved to MIA, I was able to get shots of it arriving final from my job (when the MIA ATC gods smiled on me and routed it to runway 9 rather than 12). Alas, I am working from home now indefinitely, and there's a fair chance that Norwegian themselves might not come out of this crisis.

COVID-19 sucks!!!

JFKCMILAXFLL

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:01 pm

United1 wrote:

I don’t see what is confusing about it.

If traffic has fallen by 97% and your peers have cut 90% of their schedules but you have only cut 75% of your schedule you probably didn’t cut enough.

Maybe AA needs to look at those routes that overfly hubs (like UA and DL have done) and consolidate those passengers onto a flight to DFW/CLT and then onto their final destination. AA seems to be holding onto some sort of almost delusional thinking they can operate almost as many flights as UA and DL do combined. That is a sure fire way in this environment to end up in BK court really quickly especially with their levels of debt. To me it seems like AAs management is asleep as the wheel. Let’s hope that doesn’t cost 130k people their jobs.

If that happens, I suspect one of the jobs lost will belong to Doug Parker. (I'm sure he'd get some kind of golden parachute, so the only real hardship he would experience would be to his ego).

FlyPNS1

Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:23 pm

tphuang wrote:
Yes, southwest has been slower to cancel than everyone else. I suppose that's due to their superior cash position. But their current burn rate is too fast (GK said the CARES money will only last them 2 months!), they will be cutting fast and furious. WN has been very slow in reacting to this imo.

Not sure that's totally true when you consider that WN is mostly domestic while the legacies have a significant international presence that requires even deeper cuts. Plus, some of the legacy domestic flights exist to feed international flights, so the legacies feel the bite of the international downturn even inside their domestic networks. That's far less the case for WN.

aemoreira1981

Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:39 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

usflyer msp wrote:

Ah that’s true eh. Do AF have a pair there?

Yes. For a long time, it was just one frame doing the island-hopping, first one B732 and then one A320. Now it's two A320s as island-hoppers.

ryby92

Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:56 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
We really should be talking about Southwest. They have barely cut anything relative to the others, they are now 50% larger than next largest carrier (AA).

Here are the carriers ranked by this week scheduled ASMs and their YOY %
WN (23%)
AA (70%)
UA (84%)
DL (84%)
AS (76%)
G4 (16%)
B6 (85%)
NK (91%)
F9 (91%)
SY (67%)
HA (94%)

Also understand that in the case of UA, B6 and DL they had a much higher percentage of flights and even proportionately higher ASMs concentrated in NY so UA going from 404 flights to 17 will represent a higher percentage than AA going from 250 to 13. Plus UA would have had flown extensively to Europe. Similar situation for DL in NY compared to AA which is supposedly smaller in Europe than UA or DL.

We all know B6 is a predominately NY based airline hence the similar bigger reduction.

in summary much less to cut for AA compared to UA, B6 and DL as it relates to NY. AA actually has less exposure in this case.

CIDFlyer

Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:12 am

I feel like AA has cut significantly, especially May DCA gets cut back dramatically. Here at my hometown airport in CID they haven’t run any ORD flights (and that is the closest hub) and it’s maybe be 1 or 2 flights a day depending on the day to CLT and DFW and that’s it. DL is only running 3 a day to MSP (if they don’t cancel). Next month it’s down to only 2 CR9s to MSP and that is it.

ghost77

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:55 pm

enilria wrote:
I'm assuming that is all USA service?
4O CUN-MIA MAY 0.6>0[0]
4O DFW-MEX MAY 2.0>0[1.7]
4O GDL-LAS MAY 1.0>0[1.0]
4O GDL-LAX MAY 1.0>0[1.9]
4O GDL-ORD MAY 1.0>0[1.0]
4O GDL-SAT MAY 1.0>0[1.0]
4O GDL-SFO MAY 1.0>0[1.0]
4O IAH-MEX MAY 2.0>0[1.6]
4O IAH-MTY MAY 1.0>0[0.8]
4O JFK-MEX MAY 1.0>0[4]
4O LAS-MEX MAY 0.6>0[1.0]
4O LAS-MTY MAY 1.0>0[0.6]
4O LAX-MEX MAY 2.0>0[1.7]
4O LAX-MTY MAY 0.6>0[0]
4O MCO-MEX MAY 1.0>0[1.1]
4O MEX-MIA MAY 1.0>0[1.7]
4O MEX-ORD MAY 2.0>0[2]
4O MEX-SAT MAY 2>0[1.7]
4O MTY-SAT MAY 1.0>0[0.7]

Right assumption. More over, 4O has returned 51 Airbus to lessors.

g77

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos