Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skipness1E

Re: Norwegian News and Discussion Thread

Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Hub and spoke needs a critical mass of traffic to pay for the higher costs. This was the thinking behind building and building at LGW albeit at a loss. They’re going to be starting again from scratch and hoping to make money using the same flawed formula. Hub and spoke loco long haul doesn’t work in a boom and yet somehow 2022 will be the year it does?

a350lover

Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:45 pm

Only DY long haul routes "on sale" I can see right now:

-London-JFK
-London-LAX
-London-MCO
-London-MIA

All scheduled for December 2020.
Will that be "enough" to sustain a viable operation?

bluefltspecial

Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:48 am

a350lover wrote:

-London-JFK
-London-LAX
-London-MCO
-London-MIA

This was reported officially by RoutesOnline, and also posted in another thread, I think the Sunday Special posted by enilria.

You missed the JFK-CDG

The London centric routes are easily doable. From what I remember reading the aircraft were often routed in a continuous pattern of east and west coast
IE LGW-JFK-LGW-LAX-LGW-MIA-LGW etc

The JFK-CDG route will be 4x weekly, and likely only need one frame. There are no constraints to have the aircraft sit for long periods as there were before in JFK or CDG.

It should be pointed out that with the leaseholders now somewhat having a larger say about the operation, they are likely pushing Norwegian planning to operate the 787 fleet sooner rather than later, but that's just a guess.

Should be interesting to see how they crew the aircraft. The crew in LHR and JFK both had I think about 50+ crew in each base that were dual certificate qualified, the rest were restricted to said certificates. JFK / NAS and LHR / NUK. There was also a CDG base which had become quite small, but only trained on NAS certificate.

It should be pointed out that they are likely looking to get back into the US market before the busy holiday schedule, and then likely reduce the frequency until Spring travel break. What is loaded now, may not operate. Norwegian has already loaded schedules for both July and September, and has been forced to push their launch back due to the unbelievable handing of the covid situation by the US government. The majority of Norwegian long haul passengers have been majority US citizens visiting Europe, making their long haul ops extremely vulnerable during this crisis.
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

a350lover

Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:53 am

bluefltspecial wrote:
a350lover wrote:

-London-JFK
-London-LAX
-London-MCO
-London-MIA

This was reported officially by RoutesOnline, and also posted in another thread, I think the Sunday Special posted by enilria.

You missed the JFK-CDG

Oh I missed that Sunday Special thread. At the moment I can't see any JFK-CDG flights bookable. Maybe they closed for booking them recently.

Looks they will only operate long haul via the LGW base.

bluefltspecial

Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:15 pm

a350lover wrote:
bluefltspecial wrote:
a350lover wrote:

-London-JFK
-London-LAX
-London-MCO
-London-MIA

You missed the JFK-CDG

Oh I missed that Sunday Special thread. At the moment I can't see any JFK-CDG flights bookable. Maybe they closed for booking them recently.

Looks they will only operate long haul via the LGW base.

You are Correct, looks like it was updated a few days ago, and CDG is now pushed back till March.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-10jul20/
Save a horse, ride a Fly-boy....

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos