Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

720B
Topic Author

New post Covid-19 airplane seat design

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:16 pm

As per Sam Chu's website, an Italian company called Aviointeriors has filled a patent application for a new type of airplane seat that would allow for "social distancing" while on board an airplane.

Each seat is surrounded by a large transparent shield that prevents the breath propagation to the other passengers on the row. According to the manufacturer, seats are deigned with easy cleaning and safe hygienist materials.

https://samchui.com/2020/04/21/the-new- ... p822MhKiUl

BlueberryWheats

Re: New post Covid-19 airplane seat design

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:39 pm

Which is great until the window person still has to invade your space to visit the loo.
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

FlyingHonu001

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:42 pm

No more goodnight kisses from the misses...

speedbird52

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:53 pm

The first one is super cool, and looks like it would be nicer to fly on than current seats. The second one gives me claustrophobia just looking at it.

NameOmitted

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:58 pm

FlyingHonu001 wrote:
No more goodnight kisses from the misses...

Unless one of you is in the middle seat.

Nicknuzzii

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:02 pm

This will never happen.

KFTG

New post Covid-19 airplane seat design

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:23 pm

At which point did Sam Chui's website become a reputable news outlet? I must have missed that memo.

One thing that has me annoyed more so than usual amid this pandemic is the obvious pandering corporations are doing to take advantage of this pandemic, this being one example. We do not need to reinvent the wheel after every crisis that we encounter. Airplanes were cesspools of viruses and the like well before SARS-COV-2, but yeah, let's do this now that there's money to be made.

At birth we vaccine (those us with brains, that is...) our children for a plethora of diseases, depending on the country sometimes more than 10 vaccines are given, and then boosted later in life. Now it will be 11.
Last edited by KFTG on Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

santi319

Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:25 pm

The fact there are so many posts about Sam Chui in this page means we really are bored at home.

Boten

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:15 pm

KFTG wrote:
At which point did Sam Chui's website become a reputable news outlet?

Who said that? And what does being reputable have to do with this report? It's just quoting a press release from some company about a product they're proposing that's relevant to current aviation market. It's basic web news.

Of course these kind of seats will very likely never see the light of day but it's still an interesting concept and worth discussing.

flightwriter

Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:50 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
The first one is super cool, and looks like it would be nicer to fly on than current seats. The second one gives me claustrophobia just looking at it.

Except with the first design, any sneeze or cough from the middle (rear-facing) passenger would blow right onto the window and aisle passengers in front of them, and vice-versa. Today's seating configurations actually offer more protection in this scenario simply by not positioning Y passengers face-to-face.

The second option, while I agree it looks more confining, offers more protection. Both are wholly impractical to implement.

Lrockeagle

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:18 pm

This is pretty asinine. You can’t put 50-300 people in a confined area and expect some plastic shields to stop contagions from spreading
Lrockeagle
15 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

novak500

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:24 pm

santi319 wrote:
The fact there are so many posts about Sam Chui in this page means we really are bored at home.

His YouTube videos are showing up in my feed A LOT these days.

wingman

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Who would wipe down all that plastic on tight turn-around flights? I'll have to double my position in Clorox if this concept ever takes off.

SPREE34

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Nope. Weight penalty, lost revenue seats, and that plex is going to discolor and scratch from cleanings. Then we'll have A-netters criticizing [insert airline name here] for having raggedy used interiors.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

KFTG

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:51 pm

wingman wrote:
Who would wipe down all that plastic on tight turn-around flights? I'll have to double my position in Clorox if this concept ever takes off.

The passengers should. If you truly care about your personal safety...

DarkSnowyNight

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:18 pm

KFTG wrote:
At which point did Sam Chui's website become a reputable news outlet? I must have missed that memo.

FWIW, the actual article is written by Catarina Madureira, who is an actual ME. Her insight is not particularly novel or groundbreaking, but not incompetent or down to the level of an amateur photog either.

Having that been said, yes, I have seen enough of the vlogger in question to functionally agree with what you are saying. That guy is definitely over exposed, and from what I have seen, spends quite a lot of time dramatically oversimplifying things. I get that that is part and parcel to vlogger/influencer culture, but I also get that it is not real journalism either. He is probably no worse than most other media outlets, but I do agree that posting a few pics on a.net should not confer any technical credibility, especially on fanciful notions like these.

santi319 wrote:

Heh... Yep.

flightwriter wrote:
Except with the first design, any sneeze or cough from the middle (rear-facing) passenger would blow right onto the window and aisle passengers in front of them, and vice-versa. Today's seating configurations actually offer more protection in this scenario simply by not positioning Y passengers face-to-face.

The second option, while I agree it looks more confining, offers more protection. Both are wholly impractical to implement.

Not only is that true, but in addition, it looks this would very likely be an evac hindrance as well. Any company that buys these —which will likely be zero as the precipitating issue will be moved on from by the time certification can be done with— deserves whatever grief and heartburn they get from this junk.
"Nous ne sommes pas infectés. Il n'y a pas d'infection ici..."

kjeld0d

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Is it "chew-ee" or "chew-eye" ?

PepeTheFrog

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:43 pm

So that means the guy in the middle seat will have to look at the people in the aisle and window seat. For hours.

No thank you.

And what about evacuation? Will people still move in the same direction if there's an emergency? It doesn't look safe to me.
Good moaning!

hOMSaR

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:52 pm

The design would take away any ability to use multiple economy seats as a "poor man's business class" on emptier flights. I know it's not an airline priority, but it's still a nice perk when it happens.

I could also see flight attendant service to the window seat passenger being a real pain in this scenario.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

VSMUT

Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:59 pm

PepeTheFrog wrote:
So that means the guy in the middle seat will have to look at the people in the aisle and window seat. For hours.

No thank you.

It's like BAs business class. I've never tried anything as awkard on a plane before, looking at the faces of two strangers for several hours. Definitely designed by some mad extrovert. Judging from how early window and aisle seats got reserved (several weeks out, very atypical on other airlines), most other passengers hate them too.

KrustyTheKlown

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:19 pm

This design would still require modifying the air distribution system of an airplane to assure that you are not breathing air exhaled by somebody else (for example by blasting large quantities of air to exhaust grates on the floor).

The air and droplets exhaled by the middle seat passenger may not directly reach their neighbors but they will eventually make their way to them like it is shown in this NHK video.

Providing each passenger with mandatory N95 masks would be way more effective.

CFM565A1

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:39 pm

About as idiotic as the circular runways
C172-M/N/P/R/S , PA-28-180, P2006T, PA-34-200T, B1900D, DH8A/C ERJ-145, CRJ-100/200, DH8D, CRJ-700/705/900, E-175/190, A319/320/321, 737-200/300/400/600/700/800/900ER/M8, MD-82/83, 757-200/300, 767-300, A330-300, 787-9, 777-300ER, F28-4000.

MrBretz

Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:58 pm

How about providing everyone with an N95 mask and hand sanitizer when you board? I am assuming we ramp up production of both items.

FlyingHonu001

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:42 pm

Never gonna happen, cabin cleaning already has tight turn-around times to deal with. More surface area to clean means it is going to increase ground time which is too costly for airlines nowadays

DL747400

Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:05 pm

Silly idea which really doesn't solve the problem. In terms of the source, he is paid for his opinions and for promoting stories for a fee through his web site, making him nothing more than an airline industry Kardashian.

Alternative: FAA-mandated elimination of all adjoining seats for passengers who are not related and/or traveling together, preserving the space currently occupied by the middle and adjoining seats to enforce social distancing. At the same time, create a separate section on the plane WITH adjoining seats for families or people traveling together, with additional spacing from other similar seating areas. Cover the revenue shortfall this would create by increasing ticket prices. Everyone pays more, but everyone gets more personal space. Air travel becomes less unpleasant.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

OB1504

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:42 am

DL747400 wrote:
Silly idea which really doesn't solve the problem. In terms of the source, he is paid for his opinions and for promoting stories for a fee through his web site, making him nothing more than an airline industry Kardashian.

Alternative: FAA-mandated elimination of all adjoining seats for passengers who are not related and/or traveling together, preserving the space currently occupied by the middle and adjoining seats to enforce social distancing. At the same time, create a separate section on the plane WITH adjoining seats for families or people traveling together, with additional spacing from other similar seating areas. Cover the revenue shortfall this would create by increasing ticket prices. Everyone pays more, but everyone gets more personal space. Air travel becomes less unpleasant.

Increasing ticket prices would also reduce demand, though I suppose it would even out given that there would be fewer seats available.

No need to physically remove seats as long as you can block off seats like European airlines do for their shorthaul business class products.

questions

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:47 am

kjeld0d wrote:
Is it "chew-ee" or "chew-eye" ?

“choo-e”

DL747400

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:56 pm

OB1504 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

Increasing ticket prices would also reduce demand, though I suppose it would even out given that there would be fewer seats available.

No need to physically remove seats as long as you can block off seats like European airlines do for their shorthaul business class products.

I think that it is naive to believe that in a post-COVID world, people will have no problem whatsoever being squashed up next to total strangers of unknown health status when traveling commercially by air. Airline passenger seating and personal space standards will change. COVID will force structural changes in both airline cost structure and hard product. Air travel will be changing in ways that we cannot even imagine yet. Hopefully these will be government mandated so that everyone can be on the same page and the playing field will be essentially level, but that remains to be seen.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Coronado990

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:05 pm

If airfares rise because of having to keep the middle seat free, I would suggest airlines offer a discount to any group of pax that book in a "block of three" on the same reservation (where they can all sit together) as sort of a promotion to get things going.
Cornucopia

OB1504

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:14 pm

DL747400 wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
DL747400 wrote:

I think that it is naive to believe that in a post-COVID world, people will have no problem whatsoever being squashed up next to total strangers of unknown health status when traveling commercially by air. Airline passenger seating and personal space standards will change. COVID will force structural changes in both airline cost structure and hard product. Air travel will be changing in ways that we cannot even imagine yet. Hopefully these will be government mandated so that everyone can be on the same page and the playing field will be essentially level, but that remains to be seen.

America has people protesting for the right to get a haircut. The majority aren’t going to care.

adamblang

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:22 pm

OB1504 wrote:
America has people protesting for the right to get a haircut. The majority aren’t going to care.

To be fair, it's like .01% of the population. But point taken.

sirloin

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:22 pm

I don't understand why things like this even get attention. This pandemic is going to be over at some point.

peterinlisbon

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I have a better idea - they should make the planes smaller so that your head fits through a hole in the top and you can wear a type of motorcycle helmet. Much better view. Either that or the passengers could hang upside-down like bats underneath the aircraft.

flybyguy

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:55 pm

I think a better means of reducing the health risk to travelers is for airlines to permanently institute the fare and schedule flexibility they currently provide for all fare classes. Back in the good old pre-COVID-19 days, I can’t tell you the number of sick people I’ve encountered on airplanes. I speculate that traveling while sick was the norm for those of us who didn’t want to forfeit our airfare as a no-show. Allowing last minute ticket changes or refunds may significantly reduce the number of sick flyers on airplanes.

That being said, I suspect the cost of air travel will have to be significantly increased to support both fare flexibility and lower load factors for the foreseeable future. I’m sure that minuscule global operational fleet capacity and public heath worries will achieve both.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

KFTG wrote:

One thing that has me annoyed more so than usual amid this pandemic is the obvious pandering corporations are doing to take advantage of this pandemic, this being one example. We do not need to reinvent the wheel after every crisis that we encounter. Airplanes were cesspools of viruses and the like well before SARS-COV-2, but yeah, let's do this now that there's money to be made.

At birth we vaccine (those us with brains, that is...) our children for a plethora of diseases, depending on the country sometimes more than 10 vaccines are given, and then boosted later in life. Now it will be 11.

Why on Earth isn't Sam's site a reputable source. He loves a.net and has no reason to not be accurate. He has lots of industry connections because of his YouTube channel. Sam is a totally reliable source he knows way more than a normal news company reporting on aviation and much better connections at this point.

His YouTube videos get enough watches they companies care alot and want to talk with him.

BBLIMA

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:28 pm

talking about how to respect the social distancing, now the immediately praticable solution (twicing the tickets price) is to sit the passengers alternatively like on a chessboard.

this halfs the capacity and could be a problem expecially for the most congestioned routes.

So I was wondering if this situation can revamp the demand of very big aircraft such as the A-380, where it could be possible to to move a decent amount of people also keeping the density very low.

should the airlines beging to reconsider they paradigms in this?

Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:47 pm

This would have a major disruption to the airflow pattern in an aircraft, which is needed to ensure adequate fresh air and flushing of common air contaminants. Not going to work.

No major changes to aircraft seating or barriers will occur. Covid-19 is just a temporary virus, and I predict that the world will go back to normal once its 1st 2 waves goes around the world. (and perhaps after the 1st wave). It's just a nasty flu virus... and its expected that people will develop at least a modest immunity to it. Of course, a reality is that even the normal seasonal flu kills several hundred thousand people around the world every year who have week immune systems and poor health.

Latest news is that it appears that at least 10 times the number of people have had Covid 19 than the "positive test" results show based on testing for immunity response indications. That lowers the overall death rate from Covid 19 in the USA to about 0.04% or less. The normal flu has a death rate I believe in the 0.01% range.

Have a great day,

Winterapfel

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:11 am

However: great solution to protect against the obese person sitting next to you, bulging into your seat...

slowroll

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:52 am

When you look at the spacing and sizing of those people and seats, you realize that it's about the same space as 5 conventional seats. So about 5 or 6 across on a 777.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sat Apr 25, 2020 12:59 am

It would take so many years to actually design, get regulatory approval, source materials, scale production, and retrofit not to mention get customers to spend and buy it would be probably 2030 before this could even be implemented. It’s not happening.

WayexTDI

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:26 am

MrBretz wrote:
How about providing everyone with an N95 mask and hand sanitizer when you board? I am assuming we ramp up production of both items.

That's what Air France is doing now: every pax (at least) on board will be wearing a mask, either one that they brought in or one provided by Air France.

whisperjet727

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:12 am

I’m required to wear a mask in my local market. But not on an airplane.

Miamiairport

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:05 pm

Right. Airlines are going to add weight to the a/c for "social distancing." Not gonna happen. Given the near 90% cuts in capacity we will be back to flying sardine cans by summer.