Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
Devilfish
Topic Author
Posts: 7120
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:22 pm

For a bit of inspiring news...what some people saw as an ideal plane to serve St. Helena has now come true as Titan Airways landed its A318 on the island's runway..... :airplane: .....



https://www.flightglobal.com/news/first ... 00.article

"UK charter airliner Titan Airways has become the first operator to land an Airbus airliner on the Island of St Helena in south Atlantic following the arrival on 20 April of an A318-100."


Hopefully, that plane didn't carry with it the virus that has crippled aviation worldwide.....and that it won't be the last A318 flight into the remote island's airport. :crossfingers:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
User avatar
PM
Posts: 5286
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 5:05 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:27 pm

I live in Namibia. A trip to St. Helena is not out of the question. I've already been to some remote airports. (LYR...) I'd LOVE to go there. And I've never flown on an A318...

I know. I know. But I can dream...
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4897
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:03 pm

Devilfish wrote:
Hopefully, that plane didn't carry with it the virus that has crippled aviation worldwide.....and that it won't be the last A318 flight into the remote island's airport. :crossfingers:


I flown on that aircraft, G-EUNB on LCY-SNN-JFK-LCY when it was with British Airways.

Great video there too! Since they did all those extra landings for crew training, I daresay it won't be the last Titan Airbus A318 to St. Helena!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
KliptWings
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun May 12, 2019 8:00 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:08 pm

I see they activated the OWE
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5006
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:20 pm

Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.
 
amstone17
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:37 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:03 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.


Probably same reason Barra Airport in Scotland has one.

Typically airport operators, even if they have ridiculously low traffic, like having something like a tower where they can see the full airfield for operational and emergency reasons.

St Helena airport does get more than just occasional airliners. They have business jets and some cargo operations that fly there too. Tower doesn't hurt.
 
GDB
Posts: 13780
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:06 pm

It's been a long and at times fraught process to get an airfield at this remote UK territory, made more urgent when the dedicated supply ship was due for retirement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena_Airport

(I recall one MP bitching on about 'wasting tax payers money on foreign aid', after those initial difficult 737-800 operations, she did not seem to know it was a UK territory. She's probably a minister now).
 
9252fly
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:47 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.


I would hazard to guess the primary reason is to have accurate and constant updates on the weather conditions at the airport as it's probably one of the world's most challenging to land on considering the wind shear on runway 22 and the potential of having to land on 02 with a tailwind. Air Link's weekly service from JNB makes a technical stop at WVB on the Namibian coast to check the latest weather at HLE and likely top up on fuel, then make a decision to proceed or not. I believe they use ASI as an alternate if they proceed and then find the conditions have deteriorated and they will not be able to land while en-route to HLE. The airport being Saint Helena's lifeline also utilizes medi-vac flights that could be required in urgent life threatening situations, with the same critical need for accurate weather reports on conditions at the airport.
 
Clipper002
Posts: 663
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:24 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Jeb Brooks actually flew JNB/WVB/HLE on February 15th. 2020 on an AIRLINK EMB 190, returning HLE/CPT on February 19th. Broadcast on Youtube earlier this month.

Ed
Ed
 
An225
Posts: 271
Joined: Tue May 31, 2005 6:37 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:00 pm

Can someone explain why they had to do a stopover at ASI? Was it for offloading some cargo/pax at ASI?
The A318 can fly more than 5,500km non-stop, and ACC-HLE is only 2,460 km. It mean that if conditions are not good thay can turn back to ACC without any problem.

An225
 
9252fly
Posts: 1032
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:19 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:39 pm

An225 wrote:
Can someone explain why they had to do a stopover at ASI? Was it for offloading some cargo/pax at ASI?
The A318 can fly more than 5,500km non-stop, and ACC-HLE is only 2,460 km. It mean that if conditions are not good thay can turn back to ACC without any problem.

An225


Probably for the same reason Air Link's flight from JNB stops in WVB to check the latest weather conditions. Flying into HLE is not for the faint of heart, there's no point in taking risks.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2143
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:02 pm

Video of the A318 in action in Saint Helena.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfkXm7iQC6k
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO
 
Arion640
Posts: 3077
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Nice little Domestic service all the way from London ;)
 
kalvado
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:29 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:26 pm

9252fly wrote:
An225 wrote:
Can someone explain why they had to do a stopover at ASI? Was it for offloading some cargo/pax at ASI?
The A318 can fly more than 5,500km non-stop, and ACC-HLE is only 2,460 km. It mean that if conditions are not good thay can turn back to ACC without any problem.

An225


Probably for the same reason Air Link's flight from JNB stops in WVB to check the latest weather conditions. Flying into HLE is not for the faint of heart, there's no point in taking risks.

Don't they have that novel thing called "radio" for that?
 
User avatar
Devilfish
Topic Author
Posts: 7120
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:52 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:26 am

Arion640 wrote:
Nice little Domestic service all the way from London ;)

Disregarding available airways and winds ~ 4,070nm nonstop almost straight down from STN on GC. They say nothing was changed on G-EUNB except to add crew rest to cover really long sectors.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=STN-HLE&MS=wls&DU=nm

Assuming the baby bus could do it with 32 pax, the Saints would have to be very well-off indeed to pay for what must be the most expensive "domestic" fare ever (unless the government subsidises most of the trip costs.) :cheerful:
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield
 
f4f3a
Posts: 616
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:07 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:41 am

Nearest div is 2 1/2 hours away . There also might be a shortage of av fuel as well. They might want to tanker in . Cool vid by the way
 
Toinou
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:21 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:59 am

GDB wrote:
It's been a long and at times fraught process to get an airfield at this remote UK territory, made more urgent when the dedicated supply ship was due for retirement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena_Airport

(I recall one MP bitching on about 'wasting tax payers money on foreign aid', after those initial difficult 737-800 operations, she did not seem to know it was a UK territory. She's probably a minister now).


Technically, it's a bit complicate. Saint Helena is a British Oversea Territory, which means it is self governed, relying on UK for defence and foreign relations. The question of saying if it is fully part of the UK is tricky. (If you want to learn more about that, you can start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... erritories)

On the aspect of considering that money as foreign aid, it seems that Saint Helena is one of three BOT receiving money from the "Mainland" and this is done through DFID, Department for International Development! (https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/ ... erritories) It may explain what this MP said.
 
GDB
Posts: 13780
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 am

Toinou wrote:
GDB wrote:
It's been a long and at times fraught process to get an airfield at this remote UK territory, made more urgent when the dedicated supply ship was due for retirement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena_Airport

(I recall one MP bitching on about 'wasting tax payers money on foreign aid', after those initial difficult 737-800 operations, she did not seem to know it was a UK territory. She's probably a minister now).


Technically, it's a bit complicate. Saint Helena is a British Oversea Territory, which means it is self governed, relying on UK for defence and foreign relations. The question of saying if it is fully part of the UK is tricky. (If you want to learn more about that, you can start with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_O ... erritories)

On the aspect of considering that money as foreign aid, it seems that Saint Helena is one of three BOT receiving money from the "Mainland" and this is done through DFID, Department for International Development! (https://www.gov.uk/world/organisations/ ... erritories) It may explain what this MP said.


I am aware of it's status, fact is, the only overseas territories people like her care about are tax havens. Where her party gets most of it's funding from. Or just that she's awesomely thick.
Plus it plays with the 'bloody foreigners' base, not known for their knowledge, you have seen a lot of that in the UK since 2016.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:07 pm

An225 wrote:
Can someone explain why they had to do a stopover at ASI? Was it for offloading some cargo/pax at ASI?
The A318 can fly more than 5,500km non-stop, and ACC-HLE is only 2,460 km. It mean that if conditions are not good thay can turn back to ACC without any problem.

An225
One of the considerations must be to carry as much payload as possible as this is a delivery of Covid-19 related medical supplies. That may mean that it cannot tank up full of fuel for a non stop flight.
 
armadillomaster
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:59 pm

Currently a Titan 757 due to land on HLE very shortly. Would love to see that
 
User avatar
airportugal310
Posts: 3669
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:49 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:12 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
Currently a Titan 757 due to land on HLE very shortly. Would love to see that


I see you got the FR24 alert as well lol
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 4897
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:33 pm

armadillomaster wrote:
Currently a Titan 757 due to land on HLE very shortly. Would love to see that


I'd say there'll be a YouTube video from the spotters there.

Hope so anyway! :)
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 800
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:37 pm

Here's the video of the Titan B757 landing & taking off from HLE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXRVZg24ag
 
TheWorm123
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:29 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:52 pm

As short, stubby carbon-composite flying tubes go I’ve always found the A318 to look adorable when compared to a plane like a 777 :P
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738
 
bennett123
Posts: 9799
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:49 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:15 pm

They may get a spare shortly, as BA is getting rid of theirs.
 
armadillomaster
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:00 am

Nice video.

Wish titan had the stars on the tail still.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15146
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:12 am

32andBelow wrote:
Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.


Minimum requirement would be for ATC, ground based navaid, airport operations, fire and rescue, customs, quarantine, and terminal/cargo security.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
32andBelow
Posts: 5006
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:26 pm

zeke wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.


Minimum requirement would be for ATC, ground based navaid, airport operations, fire and rescue, customs, quarantine, and terminal/cargo security.

It’s a weird requirement. I’m a center controller. We have plenty of airports with no towers that get dozens of IFR flights a day
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 15146
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:55 pm

32andBelow wrote:
zeke wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Can anyone explain why st Helena airport has an air traffic control tower.


Minimum requirement would be for ATC, ground based navaid, airport operations, fire and rescue, customs, quarantine, and terminal/cargo security.

It’s a weird requirement. I’m a center controller. We have plenty of airports with no towers that get dozens of IFR flights a day


And how many of those IFR flights are international carrying 1-200 people ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
maxholstemh1521
Posts: 40
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 am

Re: Titan A318 Lands on St. Helena

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:54 pm

zeke wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
zeke wrote:

Minimum requirement would be for ATC, ground based navaid, airport operations, fire and rescue, customs, quarantine, and terminal/cargo security.

It’s a weird requirement. I’m a center controller. We have plenty of airports with no towers that get dozens of IFR flights a day


And how many of those IFR flights are international carrying 1-200 people ?


Admittedly while not international there are several airports that have RJ's and mainline aircraft flying into them fully loaded. An example I can think of is Gunnison, Colorado (KGUC). A320's and 737's go in there during the winter for ski season, and RJ's during the rest of the year.
It's not a Beaver

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 142857, A340TLS, airplaneboy, asqx, Baidu [Spider], BAINY3, berty320, Blerg, deltacto, Ducari, Google Adsense [Bot], Happytycho, Ishrion, JakeWelty, jbs2886, Jimothy, knray, LG777, n757kw, Noshow, Obzerva, olba, Opus99, qf002, SurfandSnow, vahancrazy, wnskyguy, yyzmdw, YYZORD, zionite and 210 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos