Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Topic Author
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:50 pm

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news ... nistration

After the termination of a wet-lease contract with EW, the former AB subsidiary entered administration today. All 15 DH8Ds it operated are owned by Nordic Aviation Capital and are currently stored at BTS.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:45 pm

That’s unfortunate but no surprise after the EW deal fell thru. I don’t think we’ll see them back in the air.
 
A380MSN004
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Wow this is crazy. 15 more DH8Ds back on the market. Before COVID very few of them were available on the second hand market. Now it's approx 100 frames avails.
 
lowwkjax
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:52 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:21 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Wow this is crazy. 15 more DH8Ds back on the market. Before COVID very few of them were available on the second hand market. Now it's approx 100 frames avails.


Another 14 frames on the market coming from OS, they’ve announced that they’ll get rid of theirs (plus A319 and 3 Boeing 767) as pre-Corona level of demand is expected to not come back until 2023.
 
32andBelow
Posts: 4692
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:24 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Wow this is crazy. 15 more DH8Ds back on the market. Before COVID very few of them were available on the second hand market. Now it's approx 100 frames avails.

RAVN has some that might be available
 
maps4ltd
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:37 pm

I thought Gatwick Airport had gone under by the thread title.
Delta Gold Medallion
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:42 pm

The price of Q400 must be practically zero right now considering in the last three months the numbers that have been stored through covid and bankruptcy now way they will all make it back in the air, I wonder if some could see cargo conversion to replace things like the ATPs at West Atlantic although they seem to have grown into the 737F like crazy in resent years
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
baje427
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:17 am

I suspect the end is near for the Q400 being produced.
 
User avatar
aemoreira1981
Topic Author
Posts: 3479
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:17 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:52 am

mwhcvt wrote:
The price of Q400 must be practically zero right now considering in the last three months the numbers that have been stored through covid and bankruptcy now way they will all make it back in the air, I wonder if some could see cargo conversion to replace things like the ATPs at West Atlantic although they seem to have grown into the 737F like crazy in resent years


DHC really should offer a combi conversion (they have sold 5 new-build combis). In Canada and bush markets in the USA, they could kill two birds with one stone. That could also make this appealing in more markets over an ATR72, as I don't believe a combi version has been certified for that series. The price of a Dash 8 also has to be lower to better compete with the ATR.

Even though Hawaiian went through getting ATR72 freighters, could a Dash 8 combi work better on routes not warranting mainline service? (Their scope clause is: no mainline and regional on the same route.)
 
Philippine747
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:54 am

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:34 am

lowwkjax wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:
Wow this is crazy. 15 more DH8Ds back on the market. Before COVID very few of them were available on the second hand market. Now it's approx 100 frames avails.


Another 14 frames on the market coming from OS, they’ve announced that they’ll get rid of theirs (plus A319 and 3 Boeing 767) as pre-Corona level of demand is expected to not come back until 2023.


I think it's the end of the line for the OS frames. The OS birds are some of the earliest Q400s produced and they've been used heavily for years.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE BR
 
debonair
Posts: 3764
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:50 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:13 pm

LGW was one part/member of German Airways - the other one is is WDL with EMB190.

Strange to see LGW which earned money until the last moment folded and WDL, which suffered extremely from the BRA liquidation and flyBAIR debacle, still surviving...
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:44 pm

In 2017, my husband and I flew from Salzburg to Berlin Tegel on Air Berlin. Well, a DH8 operated by "LGW - Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter". Despite rumors that year of the impending collapse of AB, all went well with our one-and-only flight with the airline. My one and only flight with no beverage service offered (including water!), but complimentary chocolates were distributed.

The collapse did happen, but I never heard much of what happened to LGW and their aircraft thereafter. it's nice to know that the airline survived for a while!
 
oldJoe
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:23 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
In 2017, my husband and I flew from Salzburg to Berlin Tegel on Air Berlin. Well, a DH8 operated by "LGW - Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter". Despite rumors that year of the impending collapse of AB, all went well with our one-and-only flight with the airline. My one and only flight with no beverage service offered (including water!), but complimentary chocolates were distributed.

The collapse did happen, but I never heard much of what happened to LGW and their aircraft thereafter. it's nice to know that the airline survived for a while!


In December 2017 Lufthansa took over LGW and they flew on Wetlease for Eurowings. Lufthansa sold them on 1. April 2019 ( not a joke ) to Zeitfracht but still flying on the Wetlease contract for Eurowings. The contracts were stopped due COVID-19.
 
PSAatSAN4Ever
Posts: 1094
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:38 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 pm

oldJoe wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
In 2017, my husband and I flew from Salzburg to Berlin Tegel on Air Berlin. Well, a DH8 operated by "LGW - Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter". Despite rumors that year of the impending collapse of AB, all went well with our one-and-only flight with the airline. My one and only flight with no beverage service offered (including water!), but complimentary chocolates were distributed.

The collapse did happen, but I never heard much of what happened to LGW and their aircraft thereafter. it's nice to know that the airline survived for a while!


In December 2017 Lufthansa took over LGW and they flew on Wetlease for Eurowings. Lufthansa sold them on 1. April 2019 ( not a joke ) to Zeitfracht but still flying on the Wetlease contract for Eurowings. The contracts were stopped due COVID-19.


Oooh, great information - thanks for sharing!!

Ironically, all our flying on that trip was done on one Lufthansa ticket, with the exception of Salzburg to Berlin. Six months later LH was flying that route...
 
T4thH
Posts: 935
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:28 pm

Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter will be history., the wet lease airline will be closed for ever. Employees will be laid of in Jul-2020.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/zeitfracht-will-lgw-ganz-dicht-machen
 
IWMBH
Posts: 606
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: LGW (Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter) enters administration

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:20 pm

T4thH wrote:
Luftfahrtgesellschaft Walter will be history., the wet lease airline will be closed for ever. Employees will be laid of in Jul-2020.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/zeitfracht-will-lgw-ganz-dicht-machen


Too bad, really liked their goofy name. This was to be expected though.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos