Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eta unknown
Topic Author

Mahan Air: IKA-LSP

Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:01 am

Out of curiosity, does anyone know why a Mahan Air A346 (EP-MMF) flew from Tehran to Las Piedras return (Venezuela) this week?

Prior to departing IKA the aircraft has arrived from Chengdu and then went back there after Tehran, so presumably medical supplies, but why Las Piedras instead of Caracas?

TUGMASTER

Re: Mahan Air: IKA-LSP

Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:16 pm

As well known, Mahan are Govt /IIRG owned /Sponsored...
Iran and Venezuela are very pally in terms of arms trading and all sorts of misdemeanours.

Is LSP also a military field..?

This route Iran-Venezuela has been flown by a few operators in the past..
Iran Air 74L, Conviasa 342, Mahan .?
Believe they also stopped in DAM as well, just for good measure of loony Govts.

eta unknown
Topic Author

Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:30 pm

Yes the normal route is IKA-CCS, but the question is about why Las Piedras instead of CCS. We don't need to delve into sidebars about the politics of the usual IKA-CCS route.

LMFNINJA

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:00 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
As well known, Mahan are Govt /IIRG owned /Sponsored...
Iran and Venezuela are very pally in terms of arms trading and all sorts of misdemeanours.

Is LSP also a military field..?

This route Iran-Venezuela has been flown by a few operators in the past..
Iran Air 74L, Conviasa 342, Mahan .?
Believe they also stopped in DAM as well, just for good measure of loony Govts.

Agree 100%. Medical supplies being flown in along with a few "accessories" like guns, rockets, ammunition etc.

bennett123

Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm

seansasLCY

Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:24 pm

According to Twitter and Bloomberg, Mahan Air is ferrying supplies to restore an oil refinery back to working condition.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/arti ... CugZOTNAg7

migair54

Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:48 am

16 charter flights are planned for the same route, in the future days and weeks. only 2 of them already happend so far.

eta unknown
Topic Author

Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:20 am

seansasLCY wrote:
According to Twitter and Bloomberg, Mahan Air is ferrying supplies to restore an oil refinery back to working condition.

Great- thanks for the answer!

dcajet

Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm

seansasLCY wrote:

While the above seems to be true (Venezuela's oil industry has been virtually destroyed; China and Russia won't help and Iran is the only country that can and is willing to help. Venezuela has acute shortages of gasoline and has gone from having the cheapest gas on earth to the most expensive one), it is also rather naive to think that oil refinery supplies are just the only thing being transported. I'd focus on what the planes are carrying back to Iran.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

RWA380

Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:35 am

dcajet wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

While the above seems to be true (Venezuela's oil industry has been virtually destroyed; China and Russia won't help and Iran is the only country that can and is willing to help. Venezuela has acute shortages of gasoline and has gone from having the cheapest gas on earth to the most expensive one), it is also rather naive to think that oil refinery supplies are just the only thing being transported. I'd focus on what the planes are carrying back to Iran.

I think Iran is uniquely interested in giving the US the finger in that country. A well behaved Venezuela is a well rewarded Venezuela. I would venture to say the planes bring many needed & wanted items. I agree the return "cargo" is likely the more interesting of the two directions. I'm guessing a good flow of gold, hard currency & the few passengers of distinction that use this flight to funnel cash in & out of the respective countries (mostly hard currencies, if I'd venture to guess). Other easily tradeable items, like gems, bearer bonds & but mostly it's cash, cash & more cash. The cargo holds likely laiden with a myriad of high end consumer goods.
707 717 720 727-1/2 737-1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9 747-1/2/3/4 757-2/3 767-2/3/4 777-2/3 DC8 DC9 MD80/2/7/8 D10-1/3/4 M11 L10-1/2/5 A300/310/320
AA AC AQ AS BA BD BN CO CS DL EA EZ HA HG HP KL KN MP MW NK NW OZ PA PS QX RC RH RW SA TG TW UA US VS WA WC WN WP YS 8M

dabc

Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:19 am

Is this route the longest for an A346, more than 14h?

TC957

Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:51 am

dabc wrote:
Is this route the longest for an A346, more than 14h?

Don't think so, SA flew theirs on the JNB- JFK route for years and LH have operated nonstop MUC - HNL cruise ship charters before.

dabc

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:10 am

Since yesterday, IKA-LSP moved to IKA-ALG-LSP, technical stop in Algiers
Return flight LSP-IKA is still direct

IWMBH

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 am

I don't know of this was already mentioned.

''Pompeo urges end to overflight rights for Iran airline flying to Venezuela''
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN22B2OI

Any ideas which countries might be willing to comply to this request?

Toinou

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:25 am

Isn't that against Chicago convention? (Which was signed by almost every states on this route?)

raylee67

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:07 pm

IWMBH wrote:
I don't know of this was already mentioned.

''Pompeo urges end to overflight rights for Iran airline flying to Venezuela''
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN22B2OI

Any ideas which countries might be willing to comply to this request?

From the Mediterranean coast of Syria, the flight would be able to fly over international airspace all the way to the Caribbean coast of Venezuela (by circumnavigating south of Cyprus, Sicily and Malta to fly solely over international waters of the Med Sea and cross into the Atlantic over the Strait of Gibraltar). The distance will be longer, but it's possible, no? If they need a refueling stop, they can do it at Latakia. Between Latakia and Iranian airspace, all they need to do is to cross over Iraqi and Syrian airspace. I doubt Iraq will ban Iranian aircraft over its airspace, and certainly not Syria.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

eta unknown
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:21 pm

raylee67 wrote:
From the Mediterranean coast of Syria, the flight would be able to fly over international airspace all the way to the Caribbean coast of Venezuela (by circumnavigating south of Cyprus, Sicily and Malta to fly solely over international waters of the Med Sea and cross into the Atlantic over the Strait of Gibraltar). The distance will be longer, but it's possible, no? If they need a refueling stop, they can do it at Latakia. Between Latakia and Iranian airspace, all they need to do is to cross over Iraqi and Syrian airspace. I doubt Iraq will ban Iranian aircraft over its airspace, and certainly not Syria.

Even flying over the Mediterranean doesn't appear to be that much longer. I wonder it these flights will now have their transponders turned off.

IWMBH

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:52 pm

eta unknown wrote:
raylee67 wrote:

Even flying over the Mediterranean doesn't appear to be that much longer. I wonder it these flights will now have their transponders turned off.

I don't think you can traverse the Mediterranean without crossing into some countries airspace.
If the EU and some African countries pick up on this they're basically screwed.

eta unknown
Topic Author

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 pm

Paint one A346 all white (or Conviasa) and re-register it in Venezuela for a few weeks.

raylee67

Fri May 01, 2020 6:04 am

IWMBH wrote:

I don't think you can traverse the Mediterranean without crossing into some countries airspace.

You can. Note that sovereign airspace is only 12nm from the coastline. The Exclusive Economic Zone (which is 200nm from coastline) applies only for economic interests, i.e. fish and oil wthin the EEZ is exclusive for the country at most 200nm from its coast, but the sea and the airspace is free for anyone to pass through in the EEZ.

On https://www.openstreetmap.org/ you can see the boundary of the sovereign airspace/territorial sea. There are plenty of international airspace over the Med Sea. The only problem is that the Moroccan airspace actual borders the Spanish airspace directly over the Strait of Gibraltar.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

migair54

Fri May 01, 2020 8:20 am

raylee67 wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

You can. Note that sovereign airspace is only 12nm from the coastline. The Exclusive Economic Zone (which is 200nm from coastline) applies only for economic interests, i.e. fish and oil wthin the EEZ is exclusive for the country at most 200nm from its coast, but the sea and the airspace is free for anyone to pass through in the EEZ.

On https://www.openstreetmap.org/ you can see the boundary of the sovereign airspace/territorial sea. There are plenty of international airspace over the Med Sea. The only problem is that the Moroccan airspace actual borders the Spanish airspace directly over the Strait of Gibraltar.

The spanish part is not a problem since our beloved leaders are more than happy helping Venezuela, not long ago one minister had a meeting in MAD with her counterpart in Venezuela, as soon as she set foot in Spain she should have been detained, however she was not and she introduce many bags in Spain avoiding customs thanks to the meeting.

I guess Mahan Air are doing more or less like El Al when they fly over the red sea, just fly between the countries an in international free airspace.

eta unknown wrote:

No, they can't, in that case they will not be allowed by over the Mediterranean, they , and that could be dangerous, anyway It's not like a secret CIA flight, at least not anymore, so what's the point to Off the transponder.

Toinou

Fri May 01, 2020 9:28 am

If I'm not wrong, the "International Air Transport Agreement" grants first freedom (ie right to overfly another country) between all its signatories, and this includes all states implicated in this discussion.
So the move asked by US government would be a breach in one of the most fundamental aspects of air transport regulation.

They might try to circle that aspect by pretending that these flights are not civilian one but from what I understand of the rules it may be tricky as even transporting weapons does not allow to make a flight "non-civilian".

eta unknown
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 9:33 am

Well there's 2 more in the air right now: one just took off from ALG and the other is heading back to IKA.

IWMBH

Fri May 01, 2020 9:36 am

Toinou wrote:
If I'm not wrong, the "International Air Transport Agreement" grants first freedom (ie right to overfly another country) between all its signatories, and this includes all states implicated in this discussion.
So the move asked by US government would be a breach in one of the most fundamental aspects of air transport regulation.

They might try to circle that aspect by pretending that these flights are not civilian one but from what I understand of the rules it may be tricky as even transporting weapons does not allow to make a flight "non-civilian".

The EU has been blocking certain airlines from crossing into their airspace for years.
And before you say ''but thats for safety reasons'' how about SAA during the apartheid?
Or the Russians that use airspace for political reasons, see the video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdNDYBt9e_U&t=2s

Toinou

Fri May 01, 2020 10:02 am

Russia is not a good example as it hasn't signed the agreement I mentioned.

The case of South Africa is more interesting. I think that European countries (not EU that did not exist at that time) may have restricted right to land (even though, I can't really find a list), which is perfectly authorized. I can't see any European country banning SAA from overflying (on what I may be wrong). Many African countries did so, I have no idea how they put it. Maybe by the fact that they did not recognize then South African government and that, as an effect, they couldn't allow the planes.
Trek airways flights used the fact the aircraft(s) is (were) registered in Luxembourg to avoid African restrictions and take a more direct route.

eta unknown
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 10:25 am

IWMBH wrote:
Toinou wrote:
And before you say ''but thats for safety reasons'' how about SAA during the apartheid?

I was unaware of any European country doing this. IIRC SAA had an extensive European network at the time and plenty of European carriers operated to JNB:

http://www.departedflights.com/JNB89intro.html

IWMBH

Fri May 01, 2020 10:38 am

eta unknown wrote:
IWMBH wrote:
Toinou wrote:

I was unaware of any European country doing this. IIRC SAA had an extensive European network at the time and plenty of European carriers operated to JNB:

But SAA had to fly around the African countries during the apartheid.

Toinou

Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 am

IWMBH wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
IWMBH wrote:

As I said, probably on the ground of not recognizing the government.
You were talking about European countries banning overflight. Can you mention some (if possible with strong evidences)?

eta unknown
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 10:52 am

IWMBH wrote:
[

Correct- because African countries would not permit overflight. You said it was because of Europe.

IWMBH

Fri May 01, 2020 11:07 am

eta unknown wrote:
IWMBH wrote:
[

Correct- because African countries would not permit overflight. You said it was because of Europe.

I meant to say that the EU blocks certain airlines from crossing their airspace because of safety concerns.
And SAA was blocked from flying over some African countries well after the Act was signed.

What I was trying to say is that there where many examples of countries that don't allow certain airlines to cross over their country.
It is not just the US.

Toinou

Fri May 01, 2020 11:42 am

IWMBH wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
IWMBH wrote:
[

I meant to say that the EU blocks certain airlines from crossing their airspace because of safety concerns.
And SAA was blocked from flying over some African countries well after the Act was signed.

What I was trying to say is that there where many examples of countries that don't allow certain airlines to cross over their country.
It is not just the US.

In this case, the US are trying to make other countries ban an airline,

dabc

Fri May 01, 2020 11:42 am

During apartheid, South Africa was banned from African Union and most of African countries suspended diplomatic relations with this country
SAA was banned from overflying most of African countries

IWMBH

Fri May 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Toinou wrote:
IWMBH wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

It is not just the US.

In this case, the US are trying to make other countries ban an airline,

They're not making other countries ban Mahan, they're asking countries to ban an airline that is supporting a regime most of the world has already condemned.

gioannis13

Sat May 02, 2020 8:55 am

EP-MMR https://www.flightradar24.com/IRM125/246f6ee8 JUST NOW OVER Greece to Bulgaria enroute to Tehran and EP-MMF Take off from Algier to Uknown destination but with Western direction............
SeaSunSex...........

factsonly

Sun May 03, 2020 7:34 am

May 3rd 2020: MAHAN operating back to Tehran:

- W5127 LAS PIEDRAS 18.28 - IKA 16.03 Airbus A340-642 EP-MMF

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ep-mmf

Outbound flights IKA-LSP divert (re-fuel) at ALG at times.

eta unknown
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 am

This is about the third flight to divert to ALG. Safe to say no country is going to place an overflight ban.

cedarjet

Sun May 03, 2020 8:30 am

eta unknown wrote:
This is about the third flight to divert to ALG. Safe to say no country is going to place an overflight ban.

I don’t think Algiers is a diversion, it’s a scheduled tech stop.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

dabc

Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 am

ALG is a re-fuel tech stop for the outbound IKA-LSP flight

Diverskii

Sun May 03, 2020 11:30 am

Any -600 drivers think of a likely reason for a tech stop in ALG?

IKA-LSP well within 7000nm. Just how strong are those westbound winds? Or maybe its the weight of the cargo...

The 600 is known to perform well at those kind of westbound ranges out of JNB for example.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos