Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Midwestindy

Re: To be in Compliance with CARES Act B6 to Add Routes Like SFO-SMF,MCO-SRQ,MSY-IAH, SLC-BZN, etc

Tue May 05, 2020 4:50 pm

evank516 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
So the DOT approved all of the new exemption requests from B6?!? Wowza...

Will make things interesting as far as reworking the route map slightly. With stations like DEN, they added the tag on to ABQ

I don't think they approved it yet, B6 is just requesting the exemptions.

Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

USAavdork

Re: To be in Compliance with CARES Act B6 to Add Routes Like SFO-SMF,MCO-SRQ,MSY-IAH, SLC-BZN, etc

Yes, they did approve the 16 city exemptions!

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3569148

StinkyPinky

evank516 wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
So the DOT approved all of the new exemption requests from B6?!? Wowza...

Will make things interesting as far as reworking the route map slightly. With stations like DEN, they added the tag on to ABQ

I don't think they approved it yet, B6 is just requesting the exemptions.

It's been granted by the DOT
https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=DOT-OST-2020-0037-0132&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf

LAX772LR

Re: CARES Act Forces B6 to Add Routes Like SFO-SMF,MCO-SRQ,MSY-IAH, SLC-BZN, etc

Tue May 05, 2020 5:32 pm

11C wrote:
Looks like common sense prevailed, but I’m sure you have more to say, so knock yourself out...

You're welcome to show where anyone, myself or otherwise, stated that the DOT couldn't or even wouldn't grant exemptions based on a request; just that B6 (nor any other others) had a right to unilaterally change a mutual agreement.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

TigerFlyer

Sat May 09, 2020 2:35 pm

Interesting DOT filing yesterday by the B6 Pilots -

"The JetBlue Master Executive Council of the Air Line Pilots Association, International (the MEC) answers in strong support of the May 5, 2020 request of JetBlue Airways Corporation (JetBlue or the Company) for an exemption. As explained in detail by the Company, the routes at issue involve long, thin Western markets that are outside of JetBlue’s natural sphere of service, which is centered on the East Coast with primary hubs at JFK and Boston. Requiring JetBlue to continue service to distant Western points for which there is no current demand serves no identifiable public interest purpose, and is putting the financial health of the Company and the physical health of JetBlue pilots at risk.
The MEC appreciates the Department’s efforts to strike an appropriate balance between the need to maintain the integrity of the National Air Transportation System, while at the same time allowing carriers the necessary flexibility to reduce services that are not “reasonable or practicable.” This has been an iterative process, starting with the Department’s initial Orders, and refining eligibility criteria as operating experience is gained in the Covid19 environment. The MEC applauds the Department’s decision to relax exemption criteria for smaller carriers at large hub airports that continue to maintain abundant service and high connectivity.
The MEC respectfully requests the Department to apply similarly relaxed exemption criteria to allow smaller carriers to be exempted from markets where (i) there is a proven insufficiency of demand, (ii) adequate service levels will be maintained by other carriers, and (iii) the point is more than 1,000 miles from a smaller carrier’s primary hub. Doing so will not only benefit smaller carriers that are unfairly burdened by such service; it will also benefit the remaining carriers by allowing them to capture a larger share of the extremely limited demand that exists in today’s environment.
The MEC therefore urges that five Western airports where the Company has requested exemptions (Albuquerque, Bozeman, Palm Springs, Reno and Sacramento) be granted such relief. Due to exceedingly low loads JetBlue has been forced to implement undesirable and inefficient “tag” operations on its transcon flights to maintain required minimum service levels at these points. This degrades the quality of its nonstop transcon flights, and adds enormously to the cost of operating them, since an entire additional take-off and landing cycle is required.
JetBlue pilots are dedicated professionals and are committed to providing service when and where needed. The MEC is, however, opposed to unnecessary service at unsustainable loads, which only serves to weaken our Company, threatens the long-term viability of pilot jobs, and puts the personal health of pilots at risk.
JetBlue pilots have risen to the occasion to keep passengers, vital medical personnel and supplies moving throughout the United States. It bears note that JetBlue’s largest hub and headquarters are in New York, which lies at the epicenter of the Covid19 crisis. The Company, together with the pilots that operate these critical flights, have gone above and beyond in the line of service and to honor and appreciate our medical professionals.
The personal risk to JetBlue’s pilots is no exaggeration. Already across our ranks at ALPA-International nearly 300 of our brethren have been sickened and three have died. As reported by the New York Times, just this week, projected mortality rates have nearly doubled to 135,000 Americans. It is one thing to ask pilots to fly in needed service for the Company and the Country. It is quite another to ask pilots to put themselves at risk for unnecessary flights, for which there is no demand, and which serves to weaken our Company and undermines the long term viability of our jobs.
The JetBlue MEC and the 4,000 pilot members across our ranks remain committed to providing vital and needed services in this time of crisis. For the foregoing reasons, we respectfully request that the Department grant the limited and well justified exemption relief requested by the Company

ZazuPIT

Sat May 09, 2020 2:47 pm

Someone in the BNA thread mentioned B6 isn't dropping Nashville despite it being reported in a Routes Digest newsletter this week.

KlimaBXsst

Sat May 09, 2020 5:22 pm

If this has been granted to JetBlue as it seems, I wonder what expectations other carriers will have.

I am sure other LCC’s and Legacies will be expecting a “slice of the” un-flying unprofitable routes “pie.” Interesting.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

trueblew

Sat May 09, 2020 5:34 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
If this has been granted to JetBlue as it seems, I wonder what expectations other carriers will have.

I am sure other LCC’s and Legacies will be expecting a “slice of the” un-flying unprofitable routes “pie.” Interesting.

If I'm not mistaken, these exemptions are granted to airlines with less than 10% of market share in which case the legacies would not be eligible.

TigerFlyer

Sat May 09, 2020 6:13 pm

trueblew wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, these exemptions are granted to airlines with less than 10% of market share in which case the legacies would not be eligible.

That is correct. Others with less than a 10% U.S. total market share (Frontier, Spirit, etc.) were similarly allowed to request exemption relief at 26 large hubs identified by DOT. In addition to JetBlue's new request for additional relief at distant western points that did not fit DOT's new criteria (e.g. ABQ), Delta filed last week for relief at 9 small airports that are within a one hour drive from large hubs. e.g. Wooster Mass, 55 miles from BOS. All are less that airports that are already classified as "coterminal", e.g. Stewart, 70 miles from NYC. A sensible request that will preserve cash and eliminate wasteful flying. https://www.regulations.gov/document?D= ... -0037-0102

umichman

Sat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm

trueblew wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

DL and UA have applied to suspend service to a handful of destinations which are near other airports, but did not qualify as part of a metro area under the CARES Show Cause Order.

DL filed for HHH, LAN, PIH, PIA, AZO, BQK, ORH, MEL, and FNT suspensions and UA for GRB, GUC, ITH, AZO, SAF, and VPS. DL is temporarily suspending operations (until at least September) on May 13th at MDW, OAK, BUR, LGB, PVD, HPN, SWF, CAK, MHT, and PHF which is allowed under Show Cause Order as they are considered to be part of larger metro areas with other nearby airports. https://news.delta.com/delta-temporaril ... -us-metros

formeraa

Re: CARES Act Forces B6 to Add Routes Like SFO-SMF,MCO-SRQ,MSY-IAH, SLC-BZN, etc

Sat May 09, 2020 9:25 pm

NWADTWE16 wrote:
ill never understand why, within the U.S. when a tag is added, people cant buy just the tag? How does that hurt anyone, it only helps and I for one have been asking for Intra-state Florida services to be expanded so we don't have to drive the killer roads forever. I would certainly book SRQ-MCO, I prefer it was RSW but all the same to me, and id like to see them add SRQ/RSW-FLL as well.

In some caese you can buy the tag; sometimes you can't. Think about the airline staffing issues. IThey only need one agent at the airport to meet the plane. If the tag is at an odd time when the front counter is not normally open, they probably have to call in 2 more agents to staff the counter for, say, 5 passengers who buy the tag. It doesn't make economic sense to do that.

OB1504

Sat May 09, 2020 10:09 pm

formeraa wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:
ill never understand why, within the U.S. when a tag is added, people cant buy just the tag? How does that hurt anyone, it only helps and I for one have been asking for Intra-state Florida services to be expanded so we don't have to drive the killer roads forever. I would certainly book SRQ-MCO, I prefer it was RSW but all the same to me, and id like to see them add SRQ/RSW-FLL as well.

In some caese you can buy the tag; sometimes you can't. Think about the airline staffing issues. IThey only need one agent at the airport to meet the plane. If the tag is at an odd time when the front counter is not normally open, they probably have to call in 2 more agents to staff the counter for, say, 5 passengers who buy the tag. It doesn't make economic sense to do that.

Frontier is letting people buy their MIA-PBI tag, but then again it's part of a triangular PHL-MIA-PBI-PHL routing so they'd need full staffing at the stops no matter what.

I wonder why JetBlue decided to go with the tags versus triangles on cities that are near each other. Frontier's approach eliminates one unnecessary short distance flight and there's only one stop required for a roundtrip.

Edit: JetBlue is selling the SRQ-MCO tag at a bargain price of $49.

Blueknows

Sun May 10, 2020 7:13 am

B6 is not going with the tag flights. That was canceled once they got the exemptions. B6 is doing flight schedule now month to month. It may show certain flights in June but that’s not happening. The company hasn’t even come up with a June flight schedule yet. They are not closing cities, but temporarily halting service for 30/60 days depending on operational need and demand.

gunsontheroof

Sun May 10, 2020 7:32 am

Well, at least we can add B6 to the laundry list of carriers that have tagged PDX to SEA over the years...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

TigerFlyer

Sun May 10, 2020 10:17 am

formeraa wrote:
NWADTWE16 wrote:

Its not a staffing issue; its displacement cost. Example; SEA-PDX-JFK. You don't want to displace the high value SEA-JFK thru passenger with someone just flying SEA-PDX.

TigerFlyer

Sun May 10, 2020 10:22 am

Blueknows wrote:
B6 is not going with the tag flights. That was canceled once they got the exemptions. B6 is doing flight schedule now month to month. It may show certain flights in June but that’s not happening. The company hasn’t even come up with a June flight schedule yet. They are not closing cities, but temporarily halting service for 30/60 days depending on operational need and demand.

This is incorrect. B6 is tagging a number of cities that did not qualify for the "large hub" exemption. A new B6 application is pending for Albuquerque, Bozeman, Palm Springs, Reno and Sacramento, all of which are tags on transcon flights. But, yes, the scheduling situation is very fluid. For everyone.

Blueknows

Sun May 10, 2020 10:54 am

Maybe you should read your daily news before opening your mouth

With this exemption in hand, we plan to take a mix of network actions. First, we will temporarily suspend service for about six weeks in six of these markets – Chicago, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Houston, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Philadelphia, and Portland, OR – from May 11 to June 30. This will also result in the cancellation of our one-stop “tag” flights touching IAH, ORD, MSP and PDX. Similar to our previously announced consolidation of services in metro areas where we serve multiple airports, Airports Crewmembers will continue to be paid during their station closure. We’ve also asked for a similar exemption for schedule flexibility for ABQ, BZN, PSP, RNO, and SMF.

trueblew

Sun May 10, 2020 2:53 pm

TigerFlyer wrote:
Blueknows wrote:

This is incorrect. B6 is tagging a number of cities that did not qualify for the "large hub" exemption. A new B6 application is pending for Albuquerque, Bozeman, Palm Springs, Reno and Sacramento, all of which are tags on transcon flights. But, yes, the scheduling situation is very fluid. For everyone.

Yet again Blueknows has proven their username is a misnomer.

Blueknows

Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm

I’m sorry what station do you work at

flyboy7974

Mon May 11, 2020 4:07 pm

Blueknows wrote:
I’m sorry what station do you work at
io

Last I heard and read, RNO was going to be served 3X a week to LGB. Is that still the plan or now tagged?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos