Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
727LOVER
Topic Author
Posts: 8614
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:36 pm

I have never heard of this aircraft.


Seems to fly with a very low airspeed...reminds me of the Dash-7
Great footage of DCA, MDW & LGA....airport within the 1st two minutes, I'm not catching.

Sorry...no sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bWu71iNy9Y

So what is this? How many were made?




OK....so this video explains it a little, but now I'm confused. Is this a military cargo transport plane?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZavOHg0ch4
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
VSMUT
Posts: 4239
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:40 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 pm

It's better known as the Breguet 941. Only 6 were built, 4 of which entered service with the French AF. McDonnell Douglas was to market it in the US as the 188. It would seat up to 60 passengers.

Image

It seems to have more than a passing resemblance to the Nord 262, which is a distant relative of the ATR.
Last edited by VSMUT on Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 5631
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:47 pm

It’s all here, courtesy Google and Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bréguet_941

STOL was a fashion in the late ‘60s, planes landing on piers in NYC, in Central Park. Point to point to an extreme.
 
TexStones
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:09 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:49 pm

Mais oui! Pouvons-nous emprunter votre avion?
 
GDB
Posts: 13677
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:19 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
It’s all here, courtesy Google and Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bréguet_941

STOL was a fashion in the late ‘60s, planes landing on piers in NYC, in Central Park. Point to point to an extreme.


You got that right, look what West Germany was planning and built;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FM-OOo4Sw-o
 
GDB
Posts: 13677
Joined: Wed May 23, 2001 6:25 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Then there was this, never got beyond the drawing board, though HS explored less radical ideas for STOL, then quiet STOL, eventually leading to HS.146, cancelled after the 1973 oil shock, re-instated to become the BAe-146.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawker_Siddeley_HS.141
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5574
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:12 pm

Of interest to note that the 188 model predated the McDonnell Douglas merger - it was originally the McDonnell 188.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:58 pm

Here is a video and some information on the Boeing YC-14, which had impressive performance, but never reached production...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_YC-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZRUgQQOick
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4900
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:27 am

Lookd like a cross between a Nord 262 A C-130. and a DeHavilland Dash 7. ,
 
User avatar
bombayduck
Posts: 248
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:31 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:55 am

It also reminds me of the Ahrens AR404, sorry cannot post a link as I have no Wi-Fi access at the moment.
 
VC10DC10
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:56 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:37 am

I realize it was probably the result of an internal numbering system that some very smart engineers had a hand in creating and enforcing, but didn't it seem odd to anyone at McDonnell that the number "188" had been used just a few years before by Lockheed for their Electra II?
 
EWRandMDW
Posts: 444
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:28 am

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:16 pm

VC10DC10 wrote:
I realize it was probably the result of an internal numbering system that some very smart engineers had a hand in creating and enforcing, but didn't it seem odd to anyone at McDonnell that the number "188" had been used just a few years before by Lockheed for their Electra II?


Early in the video shows the MD188 taking off from DCA. In the foreground is the tail fin of an L188, probably EA which used them as overflow aircraft for their Air Shuttle service. I thought it was a curious coincidence.

The footage of the plane using runway 14 STOL at LGA was wild. Had something bad happened just at moment of takeoff the plane could have easily hit the control tower or terminal.

I noticed that when engines were started both propellers on each wing began rotating together, though in opposite directions. Were the two engines synchronized to simultaneously start or was there a single engine turning both props?
 
WayexTDI
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Re: McDonnell Douglas Model 188 STOL

Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:45 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
VC10DC10 wrote:
I realize it was probably the result of an internal numbering system that some very smart engineers had a hand in creating and enforcing, but didn't it seem odd to anyone at McDonnell that the number "188" had been used just a few years before by Lockheed for their Electra II?


Early in the video shows the MD188 taking off from DCA. In the foreground is the tail fin of an L188, probably EA which used them as overflow aircraft for their Air Shuttle service. I thought it was a curious coincidence.

The footage of the plane using runway 14 STOL at LGA was wild. Had something bad happened just at moment of takeoff the plane could have easily hit the control tower or terminal.

I noticed that when engines were started both propellers on each wing began rotating together, though in opposite directions. Were the two engines synchronized to simultaneously start or was there a single engine turning both props?

The Breguet 941 had a "blown wing" using 4-meter diameter propellers. To ensure a uniform airflow, the 4 props had to all turn, so the gearboxes were all connected via driveshafts; in case of an engine failure, the power to each prop would be reduced but they'd all still turn.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos