Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

horpdorp
Topic Author

Updated: Berlin Tegel (TXL) to Remain open until end of October at least

Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:33 pm

Note to moderators: This closure is separate from the obligation for the airport to close when BER opens and as such I think warrants a separate discussion. Thanks :)

Per Berliner Morgenpost, the airport commission has opted to close Tegel Airport starting on June 1, due to decreased demand from the Coronavirus. While the closure is officially "temporary", with the recent developments in the approval of the BER airport, it is likely that this is it for the last West Berlin airport.

Link in German only, but google translate does well: https://www.morgenpost.de/berlin/articl ... -Juni.html
Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title updated

hpff

Re: Berlin Tegel (TXL) to Close from June 1

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:48 am

Shame - Tegel was not a fun place to fly in or out of because of the infrastructure/poor public transit relative to the rest of Berlin, but I think the airport consolidation will be looked upon in the future as a mistake.

Blerg

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:19 am

So what will happen to TXL once BER opens?

LuxuryTravelled

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 am

So what happens between July and October?

Terrier79

Berlin Tegel (TXL) to Close from June 1

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:25 am

It‘s a good decision. No one needs two Berlin airports these days, so keeping the outdated TXL open although there is a current lack of demand would just be a waste of money.

I assume (though nobody will confirm this) that TXL will be gone for good and never re-open once closed. The Corona crisis will allow for a soft opening of the new BER making the move much easier from a logistics perspective.

Phosphorus

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:52 am

LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Everyone will fly from SXF?
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Terrier79

Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:57 am

Phosphorus wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Everyone will fly from SXF?

Potentially first flights (such as the currently only two or three lufthansa dailies) even from BER as a soft opening. The new airport is ready and has received the last necessary approvals to start operations by the authorities last week. This could be similar to what they did with the new IST last year.

SurfandSnow

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:03 am

TXL probably won't be missed. I'll never forget flying into there on a UA 757 from EWR. That was quite a long flight on a narrowbody plane to begin with, though we were lucky enough to be on the plane for an extra hour or two at EWR after our "on time departure" thanks to EWR's summer transatlantic bank congestion. Once we finally arrived at TXL, there was no quickly getting up and off the plane as might be the case anyplace else in Europe...although I guess waiting in line for customs in the aisle of the airplane and then the jetbridge (since we were processed by two tiny customs booths right at the entrance to the hexagon) was a truly unique experience for a 21st century traveler?

I then found a bus to the nearest U-Bahn station in a local neighborhood. It's not like Berlin's public transit was ever extended to TXL, since the airport has been due for closure and replacement for many years now. Once at the U-Bahn, I was unable to buy any sort of ticket.. so I followed the advice of the young locals and hopped over the turnstile with all my luggage in tow. Less than one hour in Germany, and already breaking the law. Luckily I did get a free ride to downtown Berlin rather than free ride to a police station! Even so, the arrival experience into Berlin was absolutely terrible. Hopefully the new airport will offer a much better experience than TXL!
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Andy33

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:21 am

LuxuryTravelled wrote:

There are currently two open airports, the other is SXF. All flights will use SXF until BER opens, and as most here know, SXF and BER are effectively on the same site. When BER opens, SXF becomes a secondary terminal of BER.

SwissCanuck

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:30 am

SurfandSnow wrote:
TXL probably won't be missed. I'll never forget flying into there on a UA 757 from EWR. That was quite a long flight on a narrowbody plane to begin with, though we were lucky enough to be on the plane for an extra hour or two at EWR after our "on time departure" thanks to EWR's summer transatlantic bank congestion. Once we finally arrived at TXL, there was no quickly getting up and off the plane as might be the case anyplace else in Europe...although I guess waiting in line for customs in the aisle of the airplane and then the jetbridge (since we were processed by two tiny customs booths right at the entrance to the hexagon) was a truly unique experience for a 21st century traveler?

I then found a bus to the nearest U-Bahn station in a local neighborhood. It's not like Berlin's public transit was ever extended to TXL, since the airport has been due for closure and replacement for many years now. Once at the U-Bahn, I was unable to buy any sort of ticket.. so I followed the advice of the young locals and hopped over the turnstile with all my luggage in tow. Less than one hour in Germany, and already breaking the law. Luckily I did get a free ride to downtown Berlin rather than free ride to a police station! Even so, the arrival experience into Berlin was absolutely terrible. Hopefully the new airport will offer a much better experience than TXL!

There is/was an express bus to the banhof, as well as a lesser-known one that does a trip to the Zoo station from memory. I found it pretty easily. But both TXL and SXF are dumps.

PM

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:39 am

LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Good question. I'm booked to fly VIE-TXL in the first week of July...

steman

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:56 am

If TXL will not open again, even for just a couple of months till BER starts, it is really the end of an era for West Berlin.
I have heard that, before the Corona crisis, there were talks of some special events for the official closure of TXL in November, including special flights. But this is all moot now. Most probably the temporary closure will be definitive. I don´t think traffic will increase enough by August to necessitate both TXL and SXF to be open.
Incidentally, the current crisis is a blessing in disguise for BER. It will allow a soft opening and no capacity strain: the current capacity of T1 (the main Terminal, the only one complete), T2 (a new Terminal still under construction) and T5 (the current SXF Terminal) is barely enough to cover the 2019 combined TXL-SXF traffic level.

fraT

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:57 am

PM wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:

Most likely your flight will be adjusted to VIESXF.
But let's see if there will be any legal objections against this decision.

Flightguy123

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:03 am

SurfandSnow wrote:

I've taken that UA flight countless times during the summer schedule and have never had that type of experience before. Also took the old Air Berlin flights in as well. The airport is not that bad if you know what is going on and appreciate the history of the airport. Also the Berlin Ubahn system doesn't have turnstiles.. I don't think any Ubahn/Sbahn in Germany does... you just walk on the the train ticket or not. And if you do get caught, you just pay the officer 40 euros or something.. you don't go to a police station..? Not sure who scared you in to thinking these things. No need to exaggerate. There's also plenty of signs that take you to express buses that leave every 5 minutes to the main train station.

Needless to say, I appreciated the TXL airport and think that it was unique and served for a good long time. With the departure of Air Berlin, the airport hasn't really been the same. Glad to see a move to BER coming soon even though the transportation out to there will definitely take longer for most Berliners.

PM

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:11 am

fraT wrote:
PM wrote:
LuxuryTravelled wrote:

That's actually rather good news. I've used Tegel and Tempelhof but never Schoenefeld. Be nice to get all three before BER opens.

GBNWB

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:21 am

Will be interesting to see what BA do in the interim period. Berlin is one of the few places BA are still serving almost daily.

steman

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:25 am

PM wrote:
fraT wrote:
PM wrote:

That's actually rather good news. I've used Tegel and Tempelhof but never Schoenefeld. Be nice to get all three before BER opens.

Be prepared to experience the worst airport in Europe. Or at least one of the worse.
It´s as old and shabby as TXL, with the added bonus of being very far from the city centre and the City West. I really despise SXF and, thanks to Air Berlin first and, later, Easyjet, I have been able to avoid it for some time now.
For me personally the move from TXL to BER will add 30 to 40 min travel time from home or work to the airport but the experience will be much better. I´m really looking forward to flying out of BER T1. It will finally feel like a real modern airport!

ramsesp

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:34 am

Blerg wrote:

The plan is to develop a new city district: https://www.berlintxl.de/en.html

n797mx

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:38 am

ramsesp wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The plan is to develop a new city district: https://www.berlintxl.de/en.html

What ever happened to the referendum to keep TXL open?
Clear skies and strong tail winds.

davidjohnson6

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:40 am

Website about Tegel redevelopment looks very fluffy and completely lacking any real content. Airport architecture is very effective when you want to operate an airport, but maybe less effective for thing like homes and offices. Perhaps there might need to be some redevelopment done first...

Toinou

Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:52 am

I did not follow all developments about this : for how long is SXF supposed to be used as "terminal 5"?

mxaxai

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:01 am

n797mx wrote:

It was never legally binding. Only the Senate of Berlin has the power to keep TXL open. They would need to renegotiate a bunch of contracts, and perhaps even reevaluate the permission to build and operate BER, so that was never going to happen.

mxaxai

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:04 am

n797mx wrote:

It was never legally binding. Only the Senate of Berlin has the power to keep TXL open. They would need to renegotiate a bunch of contracts, and perhaps even reevaluate the permission to build and operate BER, so that was never going to happen.

IWMBH

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:12 am

SurfandSnow wrote:

I flew on TXL last summer on a flight from DUS, it was a shame that the U- or S-bahn didn't go all the way to TXL.
But, the bus service was pretty good and is wasn't much of a problem.
What was a problem however was the fact that my flight was delayed and that there is not enough seating nor a place to get some decent food.

TXL won't be missed, at least not by me.

Jomar777

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:12 am

Flightguy123 wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

I've taken that UA flight countless times during the summer schedule and have never had that type of experience before. Also took the old Air Berlin flights in as well. The airport is not that bad if you know what is going on and appreciate the history of the airport. Also the Berlin Ubahn system doesn't have turnstiles.. I don't think any Ubahn/Sbahn in Germany does... you just walk on the the train ticket or not. And if you do get caught, you just pay the officer 40 euros or something.. you don't go to a police station..? Not sure who scared you in to thinking these things. No need to exaggerate. There's also plenty of signs that take you to express buses that leave every 5 minutes to the main train station.

Needless to say, I appreciated the TXL airport and think that it was unique and served for a good long time. With the departure of Air Berlin, the airport hasn't really been the same. Glad to see a move to BER coming soon even though the transportation out to there will definitely take longer for most Berliners.

You are absolutely correct. TXF and SXF are not really brand new Airports and carry a lot of history. They were never really upgraded because there was always the desire to, like Templehoff, close them in exchange for a single unique state of the art BER Airport which is only coming up now because it is severely late.

TXF always had good connections with clean and quite new buses every so often (5 - 10 minutes???) that would leave you in the center of Berlin with at least 2 U-Bahns connecting stops along the way (I do not remember when the 3rd - Berlin Hauptbanhof was added - this is the new central unified train station by the way...).

Train Stations and Ubahns, as the buses and trams in Germany, do NOT have turnstiles (I wonder which one did he jump). You just get a ticket in a machine and validate on the train. If you do not buy a ticket/validate and get caught, you pay a fine which, sometimes, for tourists, means a talking to and walking to a machine and a lesson on how to use it rather than proper cash fine (I got caught with a wrong ticket in Koln once - boarded the wrong Tram and ended up on the wrong side of town... Got a talking too (even tough I could speak a fair German) and given a "proper" tram/bus map - then sent away...).

The only regret is that I never flew to TXL - only to SXF - which was dingy but I liked and - as told - if you get the history and perspective, it is quite alright

AirbusOnly

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 am

TXL is also used on the military part of the aircraft of the federal government and by state guests. Will this part of the airport be closed down and moved to BER? That would be a long arrival and departure for this group - mostly with police or security escort. All additional costs for the German taxpayer.

mxaxai

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:51 am

AirbusOnly wrote:
TXL is also used on the military part of the aircraft of the federal government and by state guests. Will this part of the airport be closed down and moved to BER? That would be a long arrival and departure for this group - mostly with police or security escort. All additional costs for the German taxpayer.

Yes, there will be / already is a dedicated government terminal at BER. An 'interim' building was built in 2018 on the existing SXF area. It was planned to build a nice, large government terminal directly adjacent to the terminal of SXF but that would have been far more expensive and would have reduced the capacity of SXF / BER terminal 5. So it got canceled in late 2019.
The terminal was originally planned on 'Ramp 2'. Maintenance hangars and aircraft hardstands would have been there as well. The interim solution is located on 'Ramp 1', but 'Ramp 2' can be used to park aircraft if needed. Hangars may or may not be built at a later date.

Some helicopters could remain at TXL for a few years, though.

Toinou

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:56 am

AirbusOnly wrote:

I'm pretty sure that putting a VIP on a car, even with an escort is less expensive than keeping an airport open just for that purpose...

Besides, if I'm not wrong, escorts tends to be lighter in Germany than in many countries (except for some security-obsessed visitors). I'm always impressed (and not in a good way) to see how, in many countries, security for any important person seems to mean paralyze half a city rather than using discretion (but that's not the topic).

TC957

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 am

I have a sweet spot for TXL. Used it and visited it for spotting lots of times as I have relatives in Frohnau in the north of the city. SXF will be a lot more inconvenient and as mentioned, it's a horrid old Interflug-era facility.

PM

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:19 am

TC957 wrote:
I have a sweet spot for TXL.

Me too. I've been in or out of TXL 50+ times and mostly have happy memories.

Airbus747

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:29 am

Oh, this is really sad... !

Aside from the historic and architectural positives of TXL:
- TXL is extremely convenient location-wise if you need to go downtown quickly, a bit like LCY in London or LIN in Milan. Whether by taxi or bus, it's often a very short drive.
- SXF has a regional/city train link unlike TXL, BUT it is a pain in terms of duration and changing within the city. I would compare it a bit to taking the London Underground to LHR. Long, sweaty and crowded.

I sincerely hope they will set up a smoother public transit experience to connect BER and other parts of the city. Probably those living closer to the south will get there more easily.

Might also be a good gateway into Dresden, Leipzig, West Poland, Czech Republic, etc.

jevans900

Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:40 am

I flew into Berlin-Tegel almost 20 years ago on a school trip. Sad to see it's probably closing for good.
This is probably a dumb question, but I took a photo of my luggage tag from the trip, and we flew to Amsterdam on KLM, and then on Northwest Airlines flight 68. Any idea what aircraft I probably flew on... I've wanted to fly a 747 for years now, and I'm wondering if I actually already did. Image

oxonrow

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:20 am

SurfandSnow wrote:

There are no turnstiles in Berlin or most of Germany for that matter, it's an honour system. TXL is a dream of an airport, curb to gate, gate to curb, express bus 20m walk from almost any gate. It's a dream for a smart traveller, I dare say, not those who mistake roomy posh surroundings for luxury. Sadly not many airports like it anymore.

Airbus747

Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:56 pm

oxonrow wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:

There are no turnstiles in Berlin or most of Germany for that matter, it's an honour system. TXL is a dream of an airport, curb to gate, gate to curb, express bus 20m walk from almost any gate. It's a dream for a smart traveller, I dare say, not those who mistake roomy posh surroundings for luxury. Sadly not many airports like it anymore.

That's true as well. It may be old, have a very basic lounge, but it has such a "local bus stop / train station" feeling :) Very good for frequent flyers and those who have to commute via plane.

timf

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:11 pm

jevans900 wrote:
I flew into Berlin-Tegel almost 20 years ago on a school trip. Sad to see it's probably closing for good.
This is probably a dumb question, but I took a photo of my luggage tag from the trip, and we flew to Amsterdam on KLM, and then on Northwest Airlines flight 68. Any idea what aircraft I probably flew on... I've wanted to fly a 747 for years now, and I'm wondering if I actually already did. Image

I can't say for sure, but at that time DTW-AMS was predominantly DC-10s. The 747 flights would have been operated by KLM.

ua900

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Scheduled to fly into TXL with the first available UA flight on June 4th. Got moved once already from May 30th since UA decided to push out route resumption from May 20th to June 4th and I wouldn't be surprised if they push it out again, but if they fly I'll able to do a quick report on customer experience arriving TATL at SXF compared to TXL.

oxonrow wrote:
TXL is a dream of an airport, curb to gate, gate to curb, express bus 20m walk from almost any gate. It's a dream for a smart traveler, I dare say, not those who mistake roomy posh surroundings for luxury. Sadly not many airports like it anymore.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: Can't name another larger airport where a car can drop you off or pick you up 60 feet from a gate. LH Senator lounge upstairs had plenty of luxury, certainly more than that very basic lounge at SXF ;-)

As someone who also flew in THF, I have to say that being close to a city center is a great benefit. Berlin often likes to compare itself to Paris or London, but both of these cities have multiple airports, and many cities would kill to have an airport capable of receiving TATL flights so close to downtown. Lots of history at TXL, they even had a PanAm plaque in the airport thanking them for 50 years of service into Berlin.

AirbusOnly wrote:

Jein :-) The federal government is fully expected to continue using TXL for helicopters, locals who banked on "silence" are already complaining ;-) It's nice to see the federal government acknowledging in their own special way that TXL is more convenient than SXF / BER.

IWMBH wrote:
I flew on TXL last summer on a flight from DUS, it was a shame that the U- or S-Bahn didn't go all the way to TXL.
But, the bus service was pretty good and it wasn't much of a problem.
What was a problem however was the fact that my flight was delayed and that there is not enough seating nor a place to get some decent food.

TXL won't be missed, at least not by me.

You'll love the fact that SXF has a train connection. It can be reached via a covered walkway a la EWR Terminal B to C, just a couple hundred feet. The train station has three flights of stairs or a long ramp up to the passenger platform. The train runs every 30 minutes in a wide crescent through the eastern sector of the city. It's great when you carry two suitcases per person and with kids in tow, and you can enjoy the warm welcoming nature of the "Berliner Schnauze" for an additional 45 minutes as there won't be any designated area of luggage in these trains. That would obviously only be needed on something like an airport express, which won't be ready until *maybe* 2025/26 according to the Berlin Senate / Deutsche Bahn. So you'll either stand next to your luggage the entire time or you can sit down and have your luggage block a seat or two and draw comments. Alternatively, you'll also be able to take a bus to a subway station in the far south of Berlin and transfer there, also without dedicated luggage storage space. But enough about luggage, it's not like you'd be carrying and hauling suitcases flying in from the US, what for? :roll: :D

n797mx wrote:

The referendum was held, most Berlin voters voted to keep it open, needless to say, the Berlin government ignored the result since it wasn't to their liking. Something similar happened with parking spots btw when the Berlin Senate moved to eliminate parking spots in several areas and local residents made it plain that they weren't in favor of fewer spots. "Undesired" result = go ahead anyway for that government.

steman wrote:
Be prepared to experience the worst airport in Europe. Or at least one of the worse. It´s as old and shabby as TXL, with the added bonus of being very far from the city centre and the City West. I really despise SXF and, thanks to Air Berlin first and, later, Easyjet, I have been able to avoid it for some time now. For me personally the move from TXL to BER will add 30 to 40 min travel time from home or work to the airport but the experience will be much better. I´m really looking forward to flying out of BER T1. It will finally feel like a real modern airport!

Sums it up nicely. At least BER will now be great for connecting flights on Air Berlin since they always wanted the local government to help them out with that in a new airport. Or perhaps BER will be used for a third LH hub now, maybe EW direct transatlantic flights :lol:
Last edited by ua900 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | GUA | IAH | LAX | LIM | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SAL | SCL | SFO | TXL

william

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:32 pm

I went through TXL last summer. Split personality airport, the original terminal feels like another era but cool. The new terminal is a bus station leaving on EasyJet ( putting the gift shop right after security and before the gates, very witty, noticed this across Europe). Taxiing out, I was amazed how close the apartments or buildings were to the the taxiway.

There were no mass transit to the airport, but considering the airport was suppose to close ten years ago, it makes sense.

superjeff

Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:53 pm

I'll also miss Tegel. About a 20 minute taxi ride from my hotel near the K'Damm. Yes, the airport is a dump, and, yes, coming in from a non Schengen area, you clear immigration/customs at the gate which can be slow, but, still a neat airport, especially due to the history (although I never had the experience of traveling through THF). Personally, I would have preferred that they keep it open in some fashion, maybe like Dallas Love Field in Dallas, Texas, as a secondary, close-in airport, at least until there's an express train of sorts from BER to at least downtown Berlin (Alexanderplatz area) or maybe the Hauptbahnhof.

jetfan

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:

Well, to be fair, even JFK isn't well connected to the subway system. I remember using a "local neighborhood" station there as well, after getting there on the ridiculously expensive airport train. Also, Berlin has no turnstiles in subway stations, this must have been Paris ;-)

TXL has a very special design, in each gate is it's own "mini-terminal" with own facilities for customs, luggage and so on. The idea was having short distances, but of course it is completely inefficient and not good for large capacity planes, getting congested quickly. TXL is an outdated relic from former glorious times like the now demolished PanAm / Delta terminal at JFK.

factsonly

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:19 pm

jevans900 wrote:

If it was indeed 20 years ago that you visited Berlin Tegel (Summer 2000), your Atlantic flight sector NW68 AMS-DTW was operated by NW B747.

You can check the timetable yourself.

http://northwestairlineshistory.org/wp- ... -06-01.pdf

FrequentFlyer77

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:35 pm

Thanks God for closing Germany's ugliest "airport" - a shame for a capital airport especially for Germany!
An airport that no one needs...congratulations!

TC957

Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:51 pm

FrequentFlyer77 wrote:
Thanks God for closing Germany's ugliest "airport" - a shame for a capital airport especially for Germany!
An airport that no one needs...congratulations!

That's a bit harsh ! Presume you haven't " experienced " SXF then ?

AaronPGH

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Honestly, pretty gutted that I won't get a chance to fly into TXL one more time. Had two "last trips" planned this summer through there. It had it's frustrating moments, but I love the brutalist architecture and relative convenience compared to mega airports with centralized security. Won't miss the LH lounges, though.

Airbus747

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:59 pm

AaronPGH wrote:
Honestly, pretty gutted that I won't get a chance to fly into TXL one more time. Had two "last trips" planned this summer through there. It had it's frustrating moments, but I love the brutalist architecture and relative convenience compared to mega airports with centralized security. Won't miss the LH lounges, though.

Are there any airports left around the world which have the "decentralized" security (security only during boarding, basically)?

hpff

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:59 pm

Airbus747 wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

Are there any airports left around the world which have the "decentralized" security (security only during boarding, basically)?

Haven’t been to MCI in years but that had it 10 years ago, I think they have made minor modifications since

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:59 pm

This is sad news for me. I know for all of us, certain airports have become "happy places". Places from and to which we commute on a regular basis, which bookend professional and personal adventures. Both TXL and FRA are like this for me coming from IAD. While TXL certainly has its disadvantages, access to U-/S-Bahn connections mainly, I feel that the BVG did an excellent job with the TXL Bus connecting TXL, the Berlin Hbf, and Alex. Buses departed every 5-10 minutes 24/7, but yes, construction on Unter den Linden has complicated downtown street traffic. The big advantage of TXL, while cramped, a bit old, and lacking in retail amenities (who cares?), was that you could go from curbside to check-in counter, to security, to gate (A/B terminal) within the span of what 100 meters? Talk about quick and convenient!

TXL will remain my first memory of West Berlin. I will never forget arriving there in the summer of 1988 as an Army Brat, looking up from baggage claim, to see heavily armed Polizei with their guns and guard dogs, all maintaining their Cold War posture. I've spent time in Berlin for one reason or another just about every year since. While DC is my current home, Berlin is where my heart is.

RIP dear friend.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

Phosphorus

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:23 pm

Airbus747 wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

FRA Terminal 2, for example. You clear security to get to an area of two-three gates, a couple of vending machines and a toilet. All the shopping malls and lounges were before the security check.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

miegapele

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Airbus747 wrote:

Singapore airport Terminal 1,2,3. Although you still need to do border check procedures before.

mxaxai

Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Airbus747 wrote:

AMS on some gates.

zkncj

Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:23 pm

Airbus747 wrote:
AaronPGH wrote:

It's not un common in smaller airport, we're there are different requirements for screening e.g. in New Zealand screening is only required for 90 or more passengers hence at smaller aiports with both requirements its done at the gate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos