Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
vhqpa
Posts: 1698
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:21 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Wed May 20, 2020 2:53 pm

After a bit of digging around it appears to be N962CL ex A6-EMM. It flew ASP-BNE-AFW 26APR.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/boeing-777-300-n962cl-umb-bank/rz85mr

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N962CL/history/20200426/0530Z/YBAS/YBBN

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N962CL/history/20200426/0920Z/YBBN/KAFW

Given it went to Alliance and not DFW I'm guessing it has nothing to do with AA other than having some of their crew contracted to fly it back to Texas.
"There you go ladies and gentleman we're through Mach 1 the speed of sound no bumps no bangs... CONCORDE"
 
ben175
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Wed May 20, 2020 3:09 pm

I flew PER-MEL today on QF - was interesting to say the least. Police officers sitting at desks lined up taking details from approx 20-30 passengers obviously from hotel quarantine at the gate. No TVs, and the service consisted of a mini-muffin, packet of soy crisps and water only. Social distancing was implemented with what appeared to be 1 person per block per row (even in the middle 4 seats) so 3-abreast on an A330. I had an all-female flight and cabin crew which was great to see.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 am

Philippine Airlines new PER service delayed now to start in late October though wouldnt be surprised if it was put of until next year

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2020/
Forum Moderator
 
anstar
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 am

ben175 wrote:
I flew PER-MEL today on QF - was interesting to say the least. Police officers sitting at desks lined up taking details from approx 20-30 passengers obviously from hotel quarantine at the gate. No TVs, and the service consisted of a mini-muffin, packet of soy crisps and water only. Social distancing was implemented with what appeared to be 1 person per block per row (even in the middle 4 seats) so 3-abreast on an A330. I had an all-female flight and cabin crew which was great to see.


Socxal distancing I believe is on all flights until June 12 which is when the government underwriting ceases.
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1947
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 6:39 am

anstar wrote:
ben175 wrote:
I flew PER-MEL today on QF - was interesting to say the least. Police officers sitting at desks lined up taking details from approx 20-30 passengers obviously from hotel quarantine at the gate. No TVs, and the service consisted of a mini-muffin, packet of soy crisps and water only. Social distancing was implemented with what appeared to be 1 person per block per row (even in the middle 4 seats) so 3-abreast on an A330. I had an all-female flight and cabin crew which was great to see.


Socxal distancing I believe is on all flights until June 12 which is when the government underwriting ceases.


Can state governments mandate social distancing on flights via public health bulletins etc?
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 6:50 am

qf2220 wrote:
anstar wrote:
ben175 wrote:
I flew PER-MEL today on QF - was interesting to say the least. Police officers sitting at desks lined up taking details from approx 20-30 passengers obviously from hotel quarantine at the gate. No TVs, and the service consisted of a mini-muffin, packet of soy crisps and water only. Social distancing was implemented with what appeared to be 1 person per block per row (even in the middle 4 seats) so 3-abreast on an A330. I had an all-female flight and cabin crew which was great to see.


Socxal distancing I believe is on all flights until June 12 which is when the government underwriting ceases.


Can state governments mandate social distancing on flights via public health bulletins etc?

Domestic interstate aviation is covered by federal laws not state so I would assume the airlines would have to comply with any directive issued by the Federal CMO or Transport Minister. States only have directive powers on intrastate services.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 7:35 am

Some interesting info about the VA sale from today’s The Australian.

- Interview with Indigo co-founder Bill Franke. He was a chairman and CEO of America West from 1993 to 2001. In 2001/2002 he teamed with then Ryanair Chairman David Bonderman to form Air Partners III Australia which was a financial backer to Fox and Lew’s Tesna consortium trying to buy Ansett. Pages 13 & 17

Quite a large article but I thought those were some interesting facts out of it.

- In another item, “sources” reported to The Australian that 3/4 bids submitted to Delloite last Friday suggested a plan to reduce the VA fleet to mostly B738s and terminate all international routes with the exception of Trans Tasman. This contrasts with the VA management plan to retain international operations. Page 14

Edit. Apparently Autocorrect thinks tesna should be Tesla :?
Cheers,
C1973
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 11:50 am

Qantas Dreamliner VH-ZNL is Undergoing Final Assembly. Thought AJ put a pause on new frames or it's already paid for?
 
grjplanes
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:52 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 11:57 am

According to FR24 schedules, SAA is scheduled to do flights to SYD and BNE in the next week or so, with A346.

Will this still be for repatriation of Aussie citizens from SA, or other way around, repatriation of South African citizens from Australia?
 
BAeRJ100
Posts: 438
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 12:22 pm

Captdasbomb wrote:
Qantas Dreamliner VH-ZNL is Undergoing Final Assembly. Thought AJ put a pause on new frames or it's already paid for?


It's a delay in delivery, not production. The production order for aircraft is worked out well in advance, AJ hit the pause button only a couple of weeks ago which is far too late for the frames involved. All 3 of the delayed 787s will be stored by Boeing until QF can take them.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 1:37 pm

OEH seen at LAX in front of the QF hangar then departing for MHV

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/CalvelliVincent/sta ... 52928?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 21, 2020 2:29 pm

Alliance has reported that Coronavirus has helped their profits by about $7 million

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... e-profits/
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas737
Posts: 764
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2000 8:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 1:08 am

qf789 wrote:
OEH seen at LAX in front of the QF hangar then departing for MHV


Interesting to note that the tail didn't get painted all red and the titles covered up as would normally occur at LAX. Perhaps I have missed something, but would this indicate that OEH hasn't yet been retired, but rather just going into long term storage? Seems odd for QF to not paint over the titles and tail.
 
AMSAKL
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 1:30 am

Hi guys

Just curious to know which QF and NZ flight numbers are 100% flying between Perth and Eastern states and, SYD, MEL, BNE to Auckland in July?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 1:41 am

AMSAKL wrote:
Hi guys

Just curious to know which QF and NZ flight numbers are 100% flying between Perth and Eastern states and, SYD, MEL, BNE to Auckland in July?


Currently it’s bussiness as usual on the Tasman for NZ from July, pending the Tasman bubble decision. Would expect we will start to see some movement of flights etc in the next couple of weeks.

At this stage they probably don’t want to make to many changes until, they know more about the Tasman bubble.

They restarted Domestic at 20%, which proved to be to little to fast. Would think demand on the Tasman would be pretty high.
 
AMSAKL
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:58 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 1:52 am

zkncj wrote:
AMSAKL wrote:
Hi guys

Just curious to know which QF and NZ flight numbers are 100% flying between Perth and Eastern states and, SYD, MEL, BNE to Auckland in July?


Currently it’s bussiness as usual on the Tasman for NZ from July, pending the Tasman bubble decision. Would expect we will start to see some movement of flights etc in the next couple of weeks.

At this stage they probably don’t want to make to many changes until, they know more about the Tasman bubble.

They restarted Domestic at 20%, which proved to be to little to fast. Would think demand on the Tasman would be pretty high.


Thanks zkncj

I have to get myself over to New Zealand around the start of July and am hoping I can get the flights we know are still going. Might be worth booking later I think. It looks like WA and SA are going to put a spanner in the works of any unrestricted July border opening between the two countries.

Cheers
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 2:09 am

Qantas737 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
OEH seen at LAX in front of the QF hangar then departing for MHV


Interesting to note that the tail didn't get painted all red and the titles covered up as would normally occur at LAX. Perhaps I have missed something, but would this indicate that OEH hasn't yet been retired, but rather just going into long term storage? Seems odd for QF to not paint over the titles and tail.


VH-OEG didn’t have her tiles painted over either. The plan is for the entirety of the Qantas 744 fleet to fly to MHV between now and June 2020 for storage until the COVID crisis is over.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4283
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 am

vhqpa wrote:
As far as I know there weren't any basic 777-300s powered by GE90, only PW4000 (KE/NH) and Trent 800 (Everyone else). I can almost make out the RR logo on the nacelle. Also what appears to be "BOEING 777-300" titles directly under the cockpit windows is consistent with where EK puts the aircraft type titles with every aircraft in their fleet. So I'm tipping it's ex EK. Although I'm not aware of any of their aircraft being stored in ASP. As to what AA want with a non ER 777-300, well I'd be very interested in knowing as well.


eta unknown wrote:
Re above pic- my guess is an EK 777- if only because there aren't many operators with the aircraft type posted below the cockpit windows.
A6-EMO became N286AR and A6-EMP became N939AR.


vhqpa wrote:
After a bit of digging around it appears to be N962CL ex A6-EMM. It flew ASP-BNE-AFW 26APR.

https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/boeing-777-300-n962cl-umb-bank/rz85mr

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N962CL/history/20200426/0530Z/YBAS/YBBN

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N962CL/history/20200426/0920Z/YBBN/KAFW

Given it went to Alliance and not DFW I'm guessing it has nothing to do with AA other than having some of their crew contracted to fly it back to Texas.



Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for solving that mystery for me!


VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
OEH seen at LAX in front of the QF hangar then departing for MHV


Interesting to note that the tail didn't get painted all red and the titles covered up as would normally occur at LAX. Perhaps I have missed something, but would this indicate that OEH hasn't yet been retired, but rather just going into long term storage? Seems odd for QF to not paint over the titles and tail.


VH-OEG didn’t have her tiles painted over either. The plan is for the entirety of the Qantas 744 fleet to fly to MHV between now and June 2020 for storage until the COVID crisis is over.


June is nine days away. As much as I want to see the 744s back, it seems very unlikely to fly them to MHV for a storage period that would only be a couple of months - easier (and cheaper) to send them to ASP. They planned to retire the remaining 747s by the end of the year anyway. The Covid19 crisis isn't going to help their cause. People need to face up to the fact that, unfortunate as it is, they're not coming back.

You'd think they'd at least sent one to Longreach - though maybe an A380 will be going there in the not too distant future.
First to fly the 787-9
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2485
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 3:11 am

VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
OEH seen at LAX in front of the QF hangar then departing for MHV


Interesting to note that the tail didn't get painted all red and the titles covered up as would normally occur at LAX. Perhaps I have missed something, but would this indicate that OEH hasn't yet been retired, but rather just going into long term storage? Seems odd for QF to not paint over the titles and tail.


VH-OEG didn’t have her tiles painted over either. The plan is for the entirety of the Qantas 744 fleet to fly to MHV between now and June 2020 for storage until the COVID crisis is over.

I would expect 1 744 to remain in Australia so QF can do some form of farewell program towards the end of the year such as visiting all mainland capital cities. I wouldn't expect the fleet that has moved to MHV to ever return to Australia and they will move to their new owner, if they exist. It is unlikely int'l routes except NZ and nearby Pacific Islands will be back before 2021 so there is no need for these planes

QF's 100 year celebrations have been thoroughly mucked up by Coronavirus so maybe a brief farewell call by the last 747 will salvage something from the ruins.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
User avatar
VCVSpotter
Posts: 927
Joined: Mon May 04, 2020 6:10 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 5:33 am

zkojq wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:
Qantas737 wrote:

Interesting to note that the tail didn't get painted all red and the titles covered up as would normally occur at LAX. Perhaps I have missed something, but would this indicate that OEH hasn't yet been retired, but rather just going into long term storage? Seems odd for QF to not paint over the titles and tail.


VH-OEG didn’t have her tiles painted over either. The plan is for the entirety of the Qantas 744 fleet to fly to MHV between now and June 2020 for storage until the COVID crisis is over.


June is nine days away. As much as I want to see the 744s back, it seems very unlikely to fly them to MHV for a storage period that would only be a couple of months - easier (and cheaper) to send them to ASP. They planned to retire the remaining 747s by the end of the year anyway. The Covid19 crisis isn't going to help their cause. People need to face up to the fact that, unfortunate as it is, they're not coming back.

You'd think they'd at least sent one to Longreach - though maybe an A380 will be going there in the not too distant future.


I’m sorry, I meant between now and the END of June 2020. My source has been very reliable regarding Qantas retirements/storage in the past, including the prediction of VH-OEH (the most recent one).
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s
 
User avatar
CraigAnderson
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:28 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 6:09 am

According to this article Paul Scurrah is now pushing his version of VA2 as 737-only and domestic-only, except for NZ, with a low-cost carrier arm (Tiger) and long-haul flights to the US as "options". Well it's not as if there will be any US flights until sometime in 2021 anyway.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... b02adadc17
 
VH-BZF
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 1999 1:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am

Makes sense especially ex COVID-19, for VA or whatever it will be called (I for one hope it will wear a new name and livery), for the new operation/entity to focus on 1 aircraft type and domestic possibly Tasman, as that's where they can make a decent return.
Ansett Australia - (was) One of the worlds great airlines!
 
zkncj
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 7:12 am

VH-BZF wrote:
Makes sense especially ex COVID-19, for VA or whatever it will be called (I for one hope it will wear a new name and livery), for the new operation/entity to focus on 1 aircraft type and domestic possibly Tasman, as that's where they can make a decent return.


Done well, the Tasman could be an gold mine for the second half of this year (provided that Tasman travel is allowed).

There isn't anywhere else that we likely be able to go on an International holiday, so should be some steady demand that VA could tap into.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 7:15 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
According to this article Paul Scurrah is now pushing his version of VA2 as 737-only and domestic-only, except for NZ, with a low-cost carrier arm (Tiger) and long-haul flights to the US as "options". Well it's not as if there will be any US flights until sometime in 2021 anyway.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... b02adadc17

So in other words, none of the 4 shortlisted investors bought into " Plan A" and he's now trying to gain favour. I still predict the administrators will run out of cash and the end result is liquidation.
 
anstar
Posts: 3264
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 7:23 am

AMSAKL wrote:
Hi guys

Just curious to know which QF and NZ flight numbers are 100% flying between Perth and Eastern states and, SYD, MEL, BNE to Auckland in July?


I believe July schedules are still being worked through. But there won't be any regular TT flying in July as the border will remain closed - especially as internal state borders may still be closed as well. WA,SA, NT seem to be going for a wipe out of COVID not a supression like the rest of the country.. The earliest for the "bubble" is August from what I have been hearing.
 
flyingisthebest
Posts: 56
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 12:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 am

It makes sense that QF are still sending their 747s with titles still to MHV as pre -covid QF was chronically short of aircraft. Whether getting rid of the 747s would allow Qantas to have enough aircraft to do International and Domestic is the ?
 
User avatar
Chipmunk1973
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:23 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 8:27 am

eta unknown wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:
According to this article Paul Scurrah is now pushing his version of VA2 as 737-only and domestic-only, except for NZ, with a low-cost carrier arm (Tiger) and long-haul flights to the US as "options". Well it's not as if there will be any US flights until sometime in 2021 anyway.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... b02adadc17

So in other words, none of the 4 shortlisted investors bought into " Plan A" and he's now trying to gain favour. I still predict the administrators will run out of cash and the end result is liquidation.


As I posted yesterday about the articles in yesterday’s The Australian, apparently 3/4 of the bids chose this option. I think it’s a fairly safe bet that a Indigo Partners is one of the three. In another article where they interviewed one of the co-founders Indigo, he stated that their initial model to follow was that of Jetstar and that they had favoured this style of airline setup. But he did add the caveat that Australia was unique in having a duopoly and they may take into consideration more than just a Jetstar style LCC model. Perhaps what he said maybe the style of operation REX has alluded to for their possible capital city services.
Cheers,
C1973
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 9:34 am

SIN will allow transit pax from June 2- we'll see if BA will decide to return to SYD soon after.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 am

AC delays Australia return:
YVR-BNE resumes 22OCT
YVR-SYD originally set to resume late June, now cancelled until 01SEP.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21may20/
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 am

eta unknown wrote:
AC delays Australia return:
YVR-BNE resumes 22OCT
YVR-SYD originally set to resume late June, now cancelled until 01SEP.
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-21may20/


I recon they wont return at all to Melbourne.
 
ZK-NBT
Posts: 7467
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2000 5:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 10:50 am

flyingisthebest wrote:
It makes sense that QF are still sending their 747s with titles still to MHV as pre -covid QF was chronically short of aircraft. Whether getting rid of the 747s would allow Qantas to have enough aircraft to do International and Domestic is the ?


There will be plenty of aircraft, QF are playing it safe imo by not officially retiring them. Things won’t pick up to quickly post covid, enough 787s to cover the longest routes to start with and A330s to Asia as routes come back.
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 11:16 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
flyingisthebest wrote:
It makes sense that QF are still sending their 747s with titles still to MHV as pre -covid QF was chronically short of aircraft. Whether getting rid of the 747s would allow Qantas to have enough aircraft to do International and Domestic is the ?


There will be plenty of aircraft, QF are playing it safe imo by not officially retiring them. Things won’t pick up to quickly post covid, enough 787s to cover the longest routes to start with and A330s to Asia as routes come back.


Pretty sure they can get them painted in Mojave if they end up not flying again
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm

Virgin has received recognition for Chapter 15 from the US Bankruptcy Court protecting US assets from creditors

https://www.flightglobal.com/airlines/v ... 91.article
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 3:01 pm

Health experts say that it is safe to travel in middle seats on aircraft after QF's announcement earlier this week

https://www.9news.com.au/national/coron ... cial-9News
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 3:02 pm

First Qatar A350-1000 arriving in BNE a couple days ago

Image

https://twitter.com/qatarairways/status ... 65728?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 3:17 pm

Food for thought: would it be possible to buy Nauru Airlines (purely for the jet AOC), then buy the VA remains at the fire sale?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 3:44 pm

Virgin has expanded its domestic schedule for the next few weeks. Additions include

PER-ADL, 3 weekly
BNE-MEL, 2 daily
BNE-MKY, increased from 5 to 6 weekly
BNE-CNS, increased from 3 to 4 weekly
737's to replace F100's on PER-KTA, PER-ZNE and PER-PHE

https://blueswandaily.com/virgin-austra ... -schedule/
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Food for thought: would it be possible to buy Nauru Airlines (purely for the jet AOC), then buy the VA remains at the fire sale?


Isn't Nauru Airlines wholly owned by the Nauru Government? I doubt they are looking to sell...
 
zkncj
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 12:47 am

eta unknown wrote:
Food for thought: would it be possible to buy Nauru Airlines (purely for the jet AOC), then buy the VA remains at the fire sale?


Wouldn’t the Nauru airlines AOC only cover the 733, and not the 738s wouldn’t it require an bit of work to get the 738 added to that AOC?

The TT AOC is probably worth the most, with being rated for the A320/738. Giving any MK2 operator an option to go either way fleet wise .
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1310
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 2:26 am

Cathay into SYD today doing a HKG-SYD-BNE-HKG triangle. Nice to see the Saudia 773 as well.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 4:15 am

Next year's Avalon Air Show has been postponed till 23-28 November 2021, originally planned to start on 23 February 2021

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... -november/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 4:20 am

The Canberra Airport CEO has proposed a SA/QLD/ACT travel bubble. On the cards would be flights from CBR to both BNE and ADL

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... bble-plan/
Forum Moderator
 
moa999
Posts: 928
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 4:44 am

qf789 wrote:
The Canberra Airport CEO has proposed a SA/QLD/ACT travel bubble. On the cards would be flights from CBR to both BNE and ADL

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... bble-plan/
So a Sydney resident can drive to CBR to fly out ..
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11104
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 4:46 am

Saudi 77W HZ-AK39 arriving in SYD from JED on a repatriation flight, the aircraft departed from SYD to DMM

Image

https://twitter.com/aussiepomm/status/1 ... 24321?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
Kent350787
Posts: 1310
Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:06 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 4:47 am

qf789 wrote:
The Canberra Airport CEO has proposed a SA/QLD/ACT travel bubble. On the cards would be flights from CBR to both BNE and ADL

https://australianaviation.com.au/2020/ ... bble-plan/


He's always been a big talker and managed to pull off a couple of decent new routes overtime. But the financial situation for the airport must be pretty desperate by now. i would have thought a NSW/Vic/ACT bubble was potentially more lucrative, albeit less palatable to the local community.

I have to admit I speak as a Sydney resident, but the domestic border closures do seem pretty nonsensical now. IIRC 2 or maybe 3 of the new NSW cases in the last 5 day have not had immediately identified pathways, with the majority being people in hotel quarantine having arrived via Australia's major gateway city. One of the new NSW cases was imported via Brisbane.

If the new cases are quarantined then the fact that one location has more is immaterial. September to reopen Qld just seems far too long away.
S340/J31/146-300/F27/F50/Nord 262/Q100/200/E195/733/734/738/744/762/763/77W/788/789/320/321/332/333/345/359
 
User avatar
a36001
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:47 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 7:43 am

The QLD border closure is now purely political and will be at the cost of domestic tourism measured in the billions! There are thousands of airline crews grounded around the country that want/desperately need to work ( I live with one who has itchy feet that I want to return to flying as quickly as possible for my own sanity) and they are in part being hindered to achieving that by some lame duck premier on a power trip! *moderators this is not political this is a fella with a grumpy flight attendant partner dying to get on a plane again who wants them to get on a plane again ASAP!
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2804
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 7:59 am

Why single out QLD as WA is also closed- just ask Clive Palmer lol.
I'm sure the QLD Premier has concluded as there is a state election this year, keeping the state healthy is a higher priority even it affects those in the tourism sector.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 8:52 am

I know many flights are freight only at the moment but I am really surprised at the volume of aircraft still flying. Yet on the other hand, I am more surprised how few of these are either QF or to a lesser degree, VA. Even NZ over the past few days have had 4 or 5 wide bodies in the air at the same time. Even as at right now, NZ have 4 widebodies on LH international missions according to FR24
What gives?
 
zkncj
Posts: 3815
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 9:10 am

Velocity7 wrote:
I know many flights are freight only at the moment but I am really surprised at the volume of aircraft still flying. Yet on the other hand, I am more surprised how few of these are either QF or to a lesser degree, VA. Even NZ over the past few days have had 4 or 5 wide bodies in the air at the same time. Even as at right now, NZ have 4 widebodies on LH international missions according to FR24
What gives?


Ministry of Transport funding for NZ.... the Government has made sure that freight to/from New Zealand keeps moving.

Most of NZ’s 77Ws and 789s are still flying a couple of times an week, and just the 77E’s are currently parked.

Take that Qantas hasn’t had the same support when it comes to freight? But then Qantas does have access to dedicated freighters.
 
Fuling
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:41 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 23, 2020 9:15 am

Velocity7 wrote:
I know many flights are freight only at the moment but I am really surprised at the volume of aircraft still flying. Yet on the other hand, I am more surprised how few of these are either QF or to a lesser degree, VA. Even NZ over the past few days have had 4 or 5 wide bodies in the air at the same time. Even as at right now, NZ have 4 widebodies on LH international missions according to FR24
What gives?


Looking at FR24 now too, there's x4 QF heavies in the skies right now too. 2x A333 (MEL-HKG/SYD-PVG) and 2x B748F (SYD-PVG/ICN-ANC).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos