Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:56 am

Welcome to Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020. Please continue the discussion below.

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1443795

Link to Qantas Fleet Thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1437873&p=21892753#p21892753

Link to Virgin Voluntary Administration Thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1444905

SCFlyer

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:59 pm

Forbes Headline: Singapore Airlines under 'no obligation' to help Virgin Australia. Committed to Vistara.

IMO, not a surprise there. Would not surprise me if this was released in reply to the rumours of their parent Temasek looking at teaming up with BGH for Virgin Australia.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/willhorton ... f3529623b4

qf2220

Fri May 01, 2020 12:36 am

And there we go with a record breaking month, 1159 posts for April!

tullamarine

Fri May 01, 2020 12:53 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Forbes Headline: Singapore Airlines under 'no obligation' to help Virgin Australia. Committed to Vistara.

IMO, not a surprise there. Would not surprise me if this was released in reply to the rumours of their parent Temasek looking at teaming up with BGH for Virgin Australia.

This is non-news and doesn't tell uis anything that hasn't been obvious for 2 weeks. Once VA was placed into administration, the role of shareholders and the Board was replaced by the administrator. The shareholders are wiped out and SQ will have to write off their existing investment. If they or Temasek see a place for future investment it will have to be via being a member of the successful consortium in the current bidding process.

Australia remains incredibly important for SQ where it operates as a virtual second carrier sometimes servicing cities with international flights better than QF. Due to competition issues, it is pretty much barred from forming an alliance with QF so will have some sort of relationship with the new VA be it via investment or just a bilateral alliance.
Last edited by tullamarine on Fri May 01, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

oskarclare

Fri May 01, 2020 12:55 am

https://newsroom.bne.com.au/brisbanes-n ... ompletion/

Here's some good news - BNE's new 2nd runway has reached practical completion. The commission process is currently undergoing. Due to open on 12th July. Bummer it has to be opened in the current situation but looking forward to seeing it in operation this year and the years to come. Believe new runway (01L/19R) wil be used for North/West arrivals and departures whilst the current one (01R/19L) will be for South/East departures and arrivals.

smi0006

Fri May 01, 2020 2:03 am

oskarclare wrote:
https://newsroom.bne.com.au/brisbanes-new-runway-reaches-practical-completion/

Here's some good news - BNE's new 2nd runway has reached practical completion. The commission process is currently undergoing. Due to open on 12th July. Bummer it has to be opened in the current situation but looking forward to seeing it in operation this year and the years to come. Believe new runway (01L/19R) wil be used for North/West arrivals and departures whilst the current one (01R/19L) will be for South/East departures and arrivals.

It’s always amazed me, I know BNE is slot constrained at peak periods and gets significant airborne holding delays - but it just never looks busy around the taxiways and runways like SYD can. Purely anecdotal and not questioning the need for the runway. Just interesting.

Also looking forward to MELs taxiway Zulu project completion which should improve flow around international and reduce departure delays due to domestic movements around the terminal.

oskarclare

Fri May 01, 2020 2:14 am

smi0006 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

It’s always amazed me, I know BNE is slot constrained at peak periods and gets significant airborne holding delays - but it just never looks busy around the taxiways and runways like SYD can. Purely anecdotal and not questioning the need for the runway. Just interesting.

Also looking forward to MELs taxiway Zulu project completion which should improve flow around international and reduce departure delays due to domestic movements around the terminal.

Sydney is significantly busier than BNE so that would be why. On peak mornings (Sat, Thur etc) aircraft waiting to depart Alpha 1, 3, 7 and 9 can get banked up along taxiway alpha for a little while. This new runway will provide ample capacity for current/future growth.

qf789
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 3:44 am

BITRE is out for February

https://www.bitre.gov.au/sites/default/ ... y_0220.pdf

Huge drops for routes from China and Hong Kong
Other airlines did experience falls however not as bad as what I would have thought, though having said that figures for March are going to be telling

smi0006

Fri May 01, 2020 4:03 am

oskarclare wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

Sydney is significantly busier than BNE so that would be why. On peak mornings (Sat, Thur etc) aircraft waiting to depart Alpha 1, 3, 7 and 9 can get banked up along taxiway alpha for a little while. This new runway will provide ample capacity for current/future growth.

No I am aware Sydney is busier, but I’d never seen the described back log that you describe in Brisbane. It was more a comment on the anecdotal observations not questioning the statistics.

CraigAnderson

Fri May 01, 2020 4:14 am

tullamarine wrote:
SCFlyer wrote:

This is non-news and doesn't tell uis anything that hasn't been obvious for 2 weeks.

Forbes is little better than a blog these days, at least when it comes to this 'aviation' content. It's basically that the person writing this column has to file something each week to get paid, so this is all they can come up with, especially when looking for an 'Asian' angle. Don't forget, this writer Will Horton is also the one who a few weeks ago was peddling on Forbes and ABC that Qatar Airways was a potential investor in Virgin Australia!

zkncj

Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 am

qf789 wrote:
BITRE is out for February

https://www.bitre.gov.au/sites/default/ ... y_0220.pdf

Huge drops for routes from China and Hong Kong
Other airlines did experience falls however not as bad as what I would have thought, though having said that figures for March are going to be telling

Wonder if they will even bother to publish an April edition? Would hardly worth the time/effort to generate the report.

Chipmunk1973

Fri May 01, 2020 6:29 am

smi0006 wrote:

No I am aware Sydney is busier, but I’d never seen the described back log that you describe in Brisbane. It was more a comment on the anecdotal observations not questioning the statistics.

It was an issue quite a few years ago, especially in the morning and afternoon peaks. Exacerbating the whole thing was the amount of FIFO jobs with the mining boom and the LNG plants being constructed in Gladstone. If I can recall, BNE was only able to process about 45 take offs and landings during it’s busiest time. Even though the major stakeholder at BNE is Amsterdam’s Schipol, they actually brought in some consultants from London Heathrow to assist with better scheduling. This resulted in getting BNE to around today’s maximum of about 55 runway movements per hour.

Here’s some of the media hype about it:
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/more-than-2-million-air-passengers-have-experienced-flight-delays-landing-at-brisbane-airport-over-the-past-year-bnelateagain/news-story/b234879ccf458c17aa7258901b69d8c2?sv=6ae63c9e17267b8b7da5a1fc880452

Chipmunk1973

Fri May 01, 2020 6:36 am

zkncj wrote:
Wonder if they will even bother to publish an April edition? Would hardly worth the time/effort to generate the report.

It’ll be the first edition that can be comfortably read on A5 sized paper. :biggrin:

qf2048

Fri May 01, 2020 9:12 am

As redroo said in last months post re QF A330's on East Coast- Perth flying I agree there is a lot of freight that moves. I work in a logistics roll for a company that manufacturers heavy mining equipment. We have a freight account with Toll, who use QF for their same day and priority services. We have had transmissions that weigh over 1000kgs flown from Perth to us on the east coast. Plenty of Q Go stickers all over them. I always like to look at the air way bills on the freight tosee how they travelled.

NZ801

Sun May 03, 2020 6:28 am

Alliance QQ3392 F70 is bringing the NZWarriors to Tamworth from Auckland to begin 14 day iso before training.
Due to land around 17:15 03/05.

https://fr24.com/UTY3392/2470bd5a

CraigAnderson

Sun May 03, 2020 10:28 pm

zkncj wrote:

It'll be less a report, more a postcard!

ABpositive

Mon May 04, 2020 3:28 am

oskarclare wrote:

I understand that 14/32 will be closed with this change. What's the reason for this decision, I would have thought this would be valuable infrastructure, so why remove it... I'm not sure how it's being used today.

DeltaB717

Mon May 04, 2020 4:16 am

ABpositive wrote:
oskarclare wrote:

I understand that 14/32 will be closed with this change. What's the reason for this decision, I would have thought this would be valuable infrastructure, so why remove it... I'm not sure how it's being used today.

Today, 14/32 is a parking area for VA B737s. In busier times, it's been used for some Dash 8 / Saab 340 type flights, maybe the RFDS, and very occasionally a B737/A320. With two parallel runways operating (in fact, even in the current 01/19 + 14/32 configuration), most movements on 14/32 (other than a 32 departure) reduces the capacity of the 01/19 system, and the use of 14/32 has formed part of a number of ATSB investigations.

zkncj

Mon May 04, 2020 5:29 am

NZ801 wrote:
Alliance QQ3392 F70 is bringing the NZWarriors to Tamworth from Auckland to begin 14 day iso before training.

Just struggle to see how this flight is classes an an “essential travel”.

As Australian and New Zealanders are currently living with travel restrictions, most can’t travel beyond there own city.

Yet we’re ok for an sports team to fly to Australia? Kind of defeats the do not travel messages both governments are giving.

CraigAnderson

Mon May 04, 2020 5:47 am

Etihad in the running for Virgin Australia Mk II? Some journalists are either very well informed or very desperate for a story!

Oaktree, Etihad team up in Virgin Australia rescue battle.

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 1e2ab375af

NTLDaz

Mon May 04, 2020 5:50 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

As Australian and New Zealanders are currently living with travel restrictions, most can’t travel beyond there own city.

Yet we’re ok for an sports team to fly to Australia? Kind of defeats the do not travel messages both governments are giving.

Luckily they came to Australia so they won't be bothering you :)

Ever since the day the ban was enacted there has been the ability to seek an exemption. This is for work purposes, to enable Australians to go back to work and isn't costing either taxpayer anything so I'm not sure why it seems to be bothering people. Thankfully we've let a NZ woman come here to care for her dying sister ( after 4 or 5 attempts).

Hopefully before too long we'll be able to travel between our countries without exemptions or quarantine.

SCFlyer

Mon May 04, 2020 6:19 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Etihad in the running for Virgin Australia Mk II? Some journalists are either very well informed or very desperate for a story!

Oaktree, Etihad team up in Virgin Australia rescue battle.

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 1e2ab375af

Same News company that reported that Temasek was "mulling interest" with BGH. I'd treat it with a grain of salt.

Although Temasek is a bit interesting, they'd force SQ and VA to get along as "sister companies" considering the hostility of the current SQ management towards VA of late. This is despite previous SQ management teams playing a role in the decline of VA financially over the years (e.g funding the Capacity War, CapEx, etc).

CraigAnderson

Mon May 04, 2020 7:23 am

Apparently Virgin Australia’a administrator needs a $200m loan just to keep the airline alive until it can be sold, with free cash down to $30m when Deloitte was called in. This paints a dire picture of the airline’s finances, far worse than they were previously said to be.

https://amp.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... c4fccb3525

a19901213

Mon May 04, 2020 7:57 am

Chipmunk1973 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

It was an issue quite a few years ago, especially in the morning and afternoon peaks. Exacerbating the whole thing was the amount of FIFO jobs with the mining boom and the LNG plants being constructed in Gladstone. If I can recall, BNE was only able to process about 45 take offs and landings during it’s busiest time. Even though the major stakeholder at BNE is Amsterdam’s Schipol, they actually brought in some consultants from London Heathrow to assist with better scheduling. This resulted in getting BNE to around today’s maximum of about 55 runway movements per hour.

https://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/more-than-2-million-air-passengers-have-experienced-flight-delays-landing-at-brisbane-airport-over-the-past-year-bnelateagain/news-story/b234879ccf458c17aa7258901b69d8c2?sv=6ae63c9e17267b8b7da5a1fc880452

As someone who based in Sydney but who often travel back to Brisbane to visit families on long weekends I can testify how bad the situation was on Friday night and evening of the last day of the weekends. (Especially between year 2012~2014 for whatever reason)

The worst part is probably being asked to hold pattern above Gold Coast for 20~30mins.

The situation has been mitigated for the past few years but you can sometimes still tell that the flights are often being instructed to take longer route to get into BNE because of the traffic.

2nd runway is desperately needed, well at least before this pandemic...

Whatsaptudo

Mon May 04, 2020 8:01 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Apparently Virgin Australia’a administrator needs a $200m loan just to keep the airline alive until it can be sold, with free cash down to $30m when Deloitte was called in. This paints a dire picture of the airline’s finances, far worse than they were previously said to be.

Virgin Australia's financial position seems to get worse with every news article. I wish them luck, but I feel almost all 20 interested groups of investors will be requiring Government money as part of the proposal. Will the government get involved? I'm not sure.

eta unknown

Mon May 04, 2020 9:18 am

a19901213 wrote:
Chipmunk1973 wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

As someone who based in Sydney but who often travel back to Brisbane to visit families on long weekends I can testify how bad the situation was on Friday night and evening of the last day of the weekends. (Especially between year 2012~2014 for whatever reason)

The worst part is probably being asked to hold pattern above Gold Coast for 20~30mins.

The situation has been mitigated for the past few years but you can sometimes still tell that the flights are often being instructed to take longer route to get into BNE because of the traffic.

2nd runway is desperately needed, well at least before this pandemic...

I seem to remember Thursday nights being the worst time to arrive into BNE. Hold times for 45min or longer were the norm...
Last edited by eta unknown on Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

zkncj

Mon May 04, 2020 9:19 am

CraigAnderson wrote:

Makes you wonder why they keep saying that your "travel credit" remains valid, sure sounds like they may of spent all of them them?

eta unknown

Mon May 04, 2020 9:20 am

Whatsaptudo wrote:
Virgin Australia's financial position seems to get worse with every news article. I wish them luck, but I feel almost all 20 interested groups of investors will be requiring Government money as part of the proposal. Will the government get involved? I'm not sure.

The Govt. has been quite clear from day one- there will be no bail out for individual companies.

moa999

Mon May 04, 2020 11:24 am

More interesting insight into the Perth - Qantas situation. Qantas now claiming the airport possibly owes big $s for the terminal handback (presumably for improvements)

https://www.watoday.com.au/national/wes ... 54pjx.html

Mon May 04, 2020 12:29 pm

zkncj wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Makes you wonder why they keep saying that your "travel credit" remains valid, sure sounds like they may of spent all of them them?

I'd suggest Virgin Australia has more than $30 million in cash. I suspect the $30 million figure relates to liquidity and the need for the administrators to ensure worker entitlements remain secure.

Of the $7 billion owing to creditors, I wonder how much of that relates to airline tickets purchased in advance / requiring credits?

ben175

Mon May 04, 2020 12:57 pm

Question - are domestic travellers currently required to quarantine after arriving in MEL?

RyanairGuru

Mon May 04, 2020 12:58 pm

zkncj wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

In effect the "credits" don't amount to much more than an accounting exercise, and at this point are effectively a separate issue to cash flow. While the revenue will be booked in the reporting period when the customer actually travels, the (new) company will be effectively be giving away a free seat as the cash would have long since been spent.

ArtV

Mon May 04, 2020 1:30 pm

ben175 wrote:
Question - are domestic travellers currently required to quarantine after arriving in MEL?

No - neither NSW or Vic have domestic quarantine requirements.

SCFlyer

Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 am

Being reported across the forums and blogs that UA will be closing their long-haul crew base out of LAX. UA has already reduced SYD-LAX to a seasonal service prior to COVID-19.
Unless if they deadhead the crews into LAX from SFO (or another UA hub), could this be the end of SYD-LAX for UA?

* Could AA downgauge to a 788 or possibly withdraw from SYD-LAX in favour of the daily QF A380 as part of the QF/AA alliance?

* Could this be a reprieve for DL/VA alliance (based on the scenario that a non-LCC consortium gets up in the VA bidding), with DL doing the SYD-LAX flying on behalf of the DL/VA alliance?

* Could DL go it alone if the Indigo Partners LCC conglomerate or a Star-backed consortium gets the nod for VA?

Interesting times ahead.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-lax-hub-future/

qf789
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 12:59 am

Qantas has provided an update today

Secured $550 million against 3 787’s in debt funding
Domestic cancellations extended to June
International cancellations extended to July
Group has sufficient liquidity till Dec 2021
Expects to be burning through about $40 million by the end of June
Currently operating about 5% of domestic and 1# of international network
Both Qantas Loyalty and freight continue to perform well

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -recovery/

Ishrion

Tue May 05, 2020 1:19 am

Qantas says there's a likelihood the 747s will not come back, but they're keeping their options open.

https://twitter.com/AusBT/status/1257475203795320837

ZK-NBT

Tue May 05, 2020 1:32 am

SCFlyer wrote:
Being reported across the forums and blogs that UA will be closing their long-haul crew base out of LAX. UA has already reduced SYD-LAX to a seasonal service prior to COVID-19.
Unless if they deadhead the crews into LAX from SFO (or another UA hub), could this be the end of SYD-LAX for UA?

* Could AA downgauge to a 788 or possibly withdraw from SYD-LAX in favour of the daily QF A380 as part of the QF/AA alliance?

* Could this be a reprieve for DL/VA alliance (based on the scenario that a non-LCC consortium gets up in the VA bidding), with DL doing the SYD-LAX flying on behalf of the DL/VA alliance?

* Could DL go it alone if the Indigo Partners LCC conglomerate or a Star-backed consortium gets the nod for VA?

Interesting times ahead.

https://liveandletsfly.com/united-lax-hub-future/

UA reduced to 3 weekly SYD-LAX before Covid 19, I don’t think it was seasonal. They could run SFO-SYD-LAX-SYD-SFO. They have a few long hauls ex LAX, I guess some may not return for a while if at all, NRT/LHR/PVG/MEL.

qf2220

Tue May 05, 2020 2:05 am

qf2048 wrote:
As redroo said in last months post re QF A330's on East Coast- Perth flying I agree there is a lot of freight that moves. I work in a logistics roll for a company that manufacturers heavy mining equipment. We have a freight account with Toll, who use QF for their same day and priority services. We have had transmissions that weigh over 1000kgs flown from Perth to us on the east coast. Plenty of Q Go stickers all over them. I always like to look at the air way bills on the freight tosee how they travelled.

Re freight, is underbelly space or a dedicated freighter a better solution? Where you have frequency (eg BNE-SYD-MEL) the underbelly for sure, but for something like PER-East Coast is there likely to be enough frequency and would more dedicated planes make sense?

qf2220

Tue May 05, 2020 2:20 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ801 wrote:

Vlandys (NRL chair) must have dirt on someone in power to let this happen. He is a pushy one.

ABpositive

Tue May 05, 2020 2:34 am

With suggestions that travel between Australia and New Zealand might resume "soon", what are everyone thoughts about which routes will open first and who will fly them. I imagine the governments will need to work with airports to set up testing on arrival.

CraigAnderson

Tue May 05, 2020 2:58 am

Qantas presses pause on Airbus A380 refurb program, says some A380s may not return from being grounded. Alan Joyce: “there is potential to bring all 12 back (into service), but there is a potential to bring less than 12 back. That will depend on what the recovery scenario looks like.”

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... a380s-747s

zkncj

Tue May 05, 2020 3:00 am

ABpositive wrote:
With suggestions that travel between Australia and New Zealand might resume "soon", what are everyone thoughts about which routes will open first and who will fly them. I imagine the governments will need to work with airports to set up testing on arrival.

Flights on the Tasman have never stopped, NZ has continued service the whole time since the New Zealand and Australian boarder closers.

Currently NZ is flying AKL-SYD 3x weekly, and AKL-BNE/MEL 2x weekly with most services being operated by 789s. These are standard public bookable services on Tasman and are non funded services.
QF/VA has add add an couple of services for a short-period to help Australians get home.

You can still book to travel on an flight between AU/NZ just if you're not an citizen of the country your traveling too you new approval to travel plus enjoy 14 days in isolation at the other end.

Once the Tasman goings back in to action would expect it will be mainly NZ/QF focusing on SYD/MEL/BNE-AKL daily.

Currently for June onwards NZ Tasman schedule is loaded as normal, but with the 777s replaced by 787s.

CraigAnderson

Tue May 05, 2020 3:01 am

Joyce says that to stimulate demand once domestic travel resumes, JQ SYD-MEL fares could be as low as $19.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busine ... 9045a54908

a19901213

Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Qantas presses pause on Airbus A380 refurb program, says some A380s may not return from being grounded. Alan Joyce: “there is potential to bring all 12 back (into service), but there is a potential to bring less than 12 back. That will depend on what the recovery scenario looks like.”

We probably won't be seeing any QF 380s flying before the end of this year. And I genuinely believe QF won't be needing 12 380 for next 2 years given the demand would be so low that 380 would simply be burning precious cash out from Qantas.

The only aircraft they should be flying long haul routes for the next few years should be 789 and nothing else.

zkncj

Tue May 05, 2020 3:18 am

a19901213 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

We probably won't be seeing any QF 380s flying before the end of this year. And I genuinely believe QF won't be needing 12 380 for next 2 years given the demand would be so low that 380 would simply be burning precious cash out from Qantas.

The only aircraft they should be flying long haul routes for the next few years should be 789 and nothing else.

I think its going to be the case for most A380s around the world, if any thing it will become the start of the end for A380 operations. I would expect over half of the global fleet wont return to service.

tullamarine

Tue May 05, 2020 3:21 am

a19901213 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

You may be right but such an outcome will mean QF International will not be profitable for years to come. It wil be unable to shed costs fast enough to cope with such a massive drop in revenue. Such an outcome will require QF to retrench many thousands of employees.

Flyingsottsman

Tue May 05, 2020 5:40 am

ABpositive wrote:

Defiantly Auckland to Sydney, first with Air New Zealand. For Qantas it will be Sydney to Auckland first connecting the 2 financial/Business capitals of Australia and New Zealand first. Melbourne and Brisbane will be connected a few weeks later and I think Adelaide, Perth and the Gold Coast for Air New Zealand will be connected a few months after the East Coast services are up and going good. Qantas will get their Sydney operations up and going across the ditch with Auckland first, once that is bedded down then will connect Melbourne/Brisbane with Auckland/Wellington and Christchurch.

AVB

Tue May 05, 2020 5:42 am

tullamarine wrote:
a19901213 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

You may be right but such an outcome will mean QF International will not be profitable for years to come. It wil be unable to shed costs fast enough to cope with such a massive drop in revenue. Such an outcome will require QF to retrench many thousands of employees.

I believe there will be redundancies announced soon. Don’t know the exact numbers but quite a few international cabin crew, pilots and international ops for a much smaller long haul. It’s highly probable 6 A380’s to leave the fleet... watch this space.

Flyingsottsman

Tue May 05, 2020 5:58 am

AVB wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
a19901213 wrote:

I believe there will be redundancies announced soon. Don’t know the exact numbers but quite a few international cabin crew, pilots and international ops for a much smaller long haul. It’s highly probable 6 A380’s to leave the fleet... watch this space.

Have they got enough 787s to cover the US West Coast, Dallas, New York services, Santiago, and Heathrow, not to mention Johannesburg and the seasonal Vancouver service? Asia is covered with their 330s and their South pacific services with their 737s not that Qantas has a rely big presence in the South Pacific.

VH-BZF

Tue May 05, 2020 6:22 am

QF's minimal international network will continue I understand in a smaller way, with MEL-LAX service launching and MEL-LHR with tech stop in Perth (QF9/10) will remain. HKG & AKL will move to freight only on A330-300's in the short term. Not sure about whether BNE-LAX remains or not?