Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

OA260

Re: Irish 5/20: April dragged, but May flies ...

Tue May 05, 2020 10:37 am

Just got an email from AerClub about bonus AVIOS :

''Looking to top up the piggy bank or save for a rainy day? Look no further!

Buy Avios for yourself or as a gift for someone else before 18 May 2020*, and we'll treat you to 50% Bonus Avios. What's more, if you've already bought Avios with us this year, we will reset your limit - so you can buy up to 200,000 Avios and get up to 100,000 Bonus Avios on top.''

Eirules

Tue May 05, 2020 10:49 am

Im really struggling to understand how the blame for a full flight is the fault of Aer Lingus.

1. None of the passengers were forced to fly. If they didn’t feel comfortable/safe then simply don’t fly

2. I can almost guarantee not every passenger was making an essential journey, advice at odds to even the UK govt advice which in itself has been questionable

3. Again, it’s a near certainty that not every passenger turned up for that flight with masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes etc despite being in the midst of a global pandemic which has killed over 25000 people in the country in question alone

How about people take some personal responsibility? Don’t feel safe, don’t fly. You’ve chosen to ignore government advice designed to protect you but yet choose to blame the airline for endangering your health. Idiots
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

Fliplot

Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am

How amazing! All those people just turned up at Belfast City airport and bought tickets! Is EI not providing one of the few services from Belfast to London at present? There is no win win here!

Eagleboy

Tue May 05, 2020 11:07 am

Maybe Im just old and bad tempered but I thought the outrage over "social distancing" from a journalist who choose to travel is a bit rich. The tweet also stated "no advice given by crew", if you need advice on self protection at this point then its a different type of help you need.

Im guessing that until the Govt impose load factor/seat assignment restrictions on the airlines they wont do so.

Eirules

Tue May 05, 2020 11:14 am

Im really struggling to understand why this is all the fault of Aer Lingus

1. Not one person was forced to take that flight. They all did so if free will & if they didn’t feel that the airline was taking their health seriously enough then simply don’t fly, not just complain after the event.

2. I can almost guarantee not every passenger was making an essential journey, completely against govt advice.

3. Again I can almost guarantee not every passenger turned up with masks, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes etc.

What happened to a bit of person responsibility? You’ve chosen to fly in a country in the middle of a pandemic where over 25,000 people have died. You’ve chosen to ignore govt advice in doing so. But yet you’re outraged the airline isn’t putting your health first but you’re not doing the same yourself???

AmricanShamrok

Tue May 05, 2020 11:32 am

I agree with all the above comments. EI is being too polite in their statement in response to this. They are providing the only air link between Belfast and Britain and they should be reminding passengers of their own responsibilities with regard to essential travel and compliance with government guidelines.

JAmie2k9

Tue May 05, 2020 12:00 pm

Not sure if mentioned, Delta have cancelled ATL-DUB/JFK-SNN with BOS/JFK-DUB currently planning a July resumption.

JannEejit

Tue May 05, 2020 12:11 pm

It's the "unexpectedly turning up" bit I don't get ? Don't they have a booking list or have they adopted the old BA Shuttle method of 'turn up and fly' ? At this time of enormous fleet downtime, can't they allocate an A321 or even A330 on these peak time domestic routes ? I'm sure I've already seen EI do just that on certain DUB-LHR services.

OA260

Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm

JannEejit wrote:
It's the "unexpectedly turning up" bit I don't get ? Don't they have a booking list or have they adopted the old BA Shuttle method of 'turn up and fly' ? At this time of enormous fleet downtime, can't they allocate an A321 or even A330 on these peak time domestic routes ? I'm sure I've already seen EI do just that on certain DUB-LHR services.

They surely know the booked passengers as normal nothing has changed . Sadly BHD cant take an A330.

opticalilyushin

Tue May 05, 2020 12:38 pm

JannEejit wrote:

JannEejit, you hit the nail on the head! Airlines and airports know what the booked loads are, so they can't easily use this excuse. BHD isn't A330 capable, though another airline did ask if they could divert one into there a few years ago! 8-) :scratchchin:

leghorn

Tue May 05, 2020 12:51 pm

Silver lining: Demand is there for air travel. There is life in the industry after restrictions are lifted.

dstc47

Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 pm

Judging from the phone video just shown on BBC NI, social distance improved once they boarded the flight. They were much more intimate shown standing in a corridor waiting to board. Like old times.

BHD has no flights today or on Saturday either, so the few flights there are out of NI are indeed likely to be busy.

Eitilt

Tue May 05, 2020 1:21 pm

I believe Aer Lingus are also accepting passengers from cancelled British Airways flights so
they may not know exactly how many will turn up till just before boarding.

JannEejit

Tue May 05, 2020 1:36 pm

Eitilt wrote:
I believe Aer Lingus are also accepting passengers from cancelled British Airways flights so

If two IAG companies can't share data, especially at this time, then we have a problem. There was a BA insider quoted anonymously on the BBC News a short while ago, saying certain BA flights were flying full or almost full as well. I've no doubt it's bound to be happening elsewhere too.

shamrock350

Tue May 05, 2020 1:39 pm

There’s also the ‘no show’ factor to contend with. Most of April would have seen huge numbers of no shows which, coupled with official cancelled bookings, resulted in rock bottom load factors which did the social distancing work all by itself.

With increased talk of lockdown measures being relaxed, the British PM declaring the worst was over and a general feeling of normality soon returning, it’s possible this has resulted in a lower number of no shows boosting numbers slightly.

I know that in my company, a British train operator, we’ve gone from 5% of our daily passenger figures to over 20% in just over a week despite no official change in government measures.

OA260

Tue May 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Eitilt wrote:

BA BHD - LHR were cancelled a while ago so any re protections onto EI are not last minute .

EIBusiness

Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 pm

User001 wrote:

The simple fact is, the economy can't be on lockdown forever, the govts will run out of money, so, we have to find ways of living with this virus until a vaccine is found.

This is precisely on point. Being Irish based in the USA - I'm getting two contrasting perspectives on this. Here - I see a society re-opening where the Daily Death Toll still exceeds 1,000 people. Here in the Intermountain West - I see first hand Ski Resort Mountain towns in ID, UT and WY that are decimated - Jackson WY, Sun Valley, ID and Park City UT. Extensive social welfare in Ireland will shelter people for some time however when that ends, and it will, a grim reality will dawn on many.

This virus is not going away inside twelve months - fact. We can only hope for major vaccine and therapeutic developments in the meantime. The economic devastation is and will be enormous and will likely be ten fold that of 2008-2009. In reality - a global debt cancellation policy may be needed assuming all governments and monetary areas print money in relative equilibrium.

This is the type of event for which there is no script, no playbook.

As of today - Aer Lingus is selling flights to Seattle and San Francisco towards the end of May - that is simply not going to happen. The Travel Ban imposed by the United States is likely to go on for months and months - rendering >90% of passengers who would normally travel totally ineligible to enter the United States. Indeed there are thousands of Irish citizens over here currently whose only option is a One Way Ticket back to Ireland as re-entry is denied save for citizenship or Green Card status.

Aer Lingus' business model is at extreme risk. A large component of their Annual EBITA was derived from Transatlantic operations and in particular a strong contributor was Business Class. Even when travel comes back online - many corporates are going to hold back on travel and will even do so anyway as part of cost reduction programs. The landscape is changed utterly and realistically - we are not going back to "how it was" for many years to come, possibly never.

Ireland too is going to have to engage in a far more imaginative program to get the country re-opened and moving. Failure to do so will result in economic devastation that will last a generation. Flying has to resume again, the world must continue to function, life must go on - there will be death and suffering until a vaccine is found - that is the harsh reality facing all of us.

EIBusiness
Vivo Per Lei...

EIEIDW

Tue May 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Aer Lingus are adding a second frequency to the BHD-LHR. Flights will depart at 08:45 and 09:45

Galwayman

Tue May 05, 2020 9:49 pm

leghorn wrote:
Silver lining: Demand is there for air travel. There is life in the industry after restrictions are lifted.

yes very impressed - well done EI selling so many seats. Just ask people to wear masks and do gate temprature checks and lets get on with it

Fliplot

Tue May 05, 2020 10:31 pm

A bit amused to be asked to be more imaginative by someone in the US - currently the least imaginative place on the planet run by a slightly unhinged person (being polite)! I am quite certain EI will figure it out and with luck and footfall will return to more normal times

EIBusiness

Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 pm

Fliplot wrote:
A bit amused to be asked to be more imaginative by someone in the US - currently the least imaginative place on the planet run by a slightly unhinged person (being polite)! I am quite certain EI will figure it out and with luck and footfall will return to more normal times

Amused? Imaginative as to the opening of the Economy is what I was referring to.

The Irish Government will need to roll out sector wide supports with a more defined strategy than what has been currently published. As we all know on here - the Aviation sector from the Airlines to Aviation Leasing and related Financial Services etc. is critical to Ireland's economy and the generic framework that we've seen so far is simply not good enough. The financial supports from the Government are weighted towards social welfare and not towards industry stimulation and do not provide a clear framework for same.

Certainly it is no time to be reliant on luck....

Let's not get into comparing country by country - all of us just want the best possible supports in place for these various industries and to see the back of this awful awful tragedy.
Vivo Per Lei...

Fliplot

Tue May 05, 2020 11:34 pm

I am not anti American. I am not anti anything except perhaps bad service! I am not in favour of ill advised comments and certainly where EI are concerned I am in favour of supporting their efforts. Delighted your parents made the right choice. Mine decided to stay, also the right choice!
I'm sure aviation will bounce back with maybe a few short hops to start!

OA260

Wed May 06, 2020 8:31 am

Profits soar at Shannon Airport parent in spite of reduced air traffic
Passenger traffic at Shannon Airport declined 8% last year, and it is now impacted by Covid-19 lockdown

Post-tax profits at Shannon Group, which operates Shannon Airport, rose 43 per cent to €21.6 million last year despite the first reduction in passenger numbers at the airport in six years.

Its annual report shows turnover at the group, an umbrella organisation for separate companies including Shannon Airport Authority, Shannon Heritage, Shannon Commercial Properties and the International Aviation Services Centre, rose by 1.7 per cent to €79.1 million.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 4?mode=amp

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 2:38 pm

American is now grounding its A332 fleet; it has already decided to ground the -300s. The current position is that the -200s are being stored until 2022, but crews are being retained on other types and the crew bases (CLT/PHL) are being closed, so I very much doubt that either will fly in AA colours again. When PHL-DUB does resume, it will probably be 787s, same for CLT. Frankly, I doubt we'll see either this year.

EIEIDW

Wed May 06, 2020 2:42 pm

kaitak wrote:
American is now grounding its A332 fleet; it has already decided to ground the -300s. The current position is that the -200s are being stored until 2022, but crews are being retained on other types and the crew bases (CLT/PHL) are being closed, so I very much doubt that either will fly in AA colours again. When PHL-DUB does resume, it will probably be 787s, same for CLT. Frankly, I doubt we'll see either this year.

Currently showing a 787 for PHL as previously stated on a thread.

EI321

Wed May 06, 2020 3:11 pm

Was'nt American due to switch to the 787 on all its Dublin routes this year anyway, before the Covid outbreak. I dont think any A332s were scheduled. Delta were due to go to an all A333 in DUB and Air Canada were due to go all 787 in DUB. I think United were due to have 2 787 routes and 2 757.

Eirules

Wed May 06, 2020 3:36 pm

One would suspect that transatlantic routes to DUB & SNN next year will be vastly different. I can’t see UA, AA, AC or DL having 3-4 routes to DUB, you’re looking at 2 at most. And for EI, I can see some routes dropped (MSP, MIA come to mind) and the double daily’s reduced down too

OA260

Thu May 07, 2020 7:49 am

IAG's Willie Walsh to stay on until September

Aer Lingus and British Airways-owner IAG said that chief executive Willie Walsh would stay on until September to steer it through the coronavirus crisis.

IAG also said today that it was planning for flights to return to service in July.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0507/1136 ... d-results/

—-

Third Of People Arriving Into Dublin Airport Not Giving Self-Isolating Details

A third of people arriving in Ireland over the past six weeks refused to give details of where they would be self-isolating.

The Irish Independent says hundreds of people who flew into Dublin Airport didn't fill in forms detailing where they plan to stay.

The forms asked for information about the address where the person would live for two weeks after they arrived

www.98fm.com/news/third-people-arriving ... ls-1011358

OA260

Fri May 08, 2020 7:46 am

Stobart could face competition to retain Aer Lingus regional contract
Other carriers interested in operating regional routes from 2022, IAG chief says

Stobart Air could face rivals in any bid to keep the regional services contract with Aer Lingus that is key to its survival.

UK aviation and energy business Stobart Group last week said that it was taking a majority stake in Stobart Air, but leaving voting control with staff through an employee share trust.

Willie Walsh, chief executive of Aer Lingus owner International Consolidated Airlines Group, said on Thursday that other carriers had expressed interest in operating the Aer Lingus regional routes now flown by Stobart Air.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... Dg4bVk2Vg..

Embajador3

Fri May 08, 2020 9:21 am

OA260 wrote:
Other carriers interested in operating regional routes from 2022, IAG chief says

Stobart Air could face rivals in any bid to keep the regional services contract with Aer Lingus that is key to its survival.

I would not be surprised if ACMI operators with ATRs in their fleets (For instance: DAT - Danish Air Transport/Danus Oro Transportas, Swiftair, Blue Islands, CanaryFly, etc) or even airlines like Loganair or Eastern Airways, were to bid for this contract. All ACMI airlines must be actively seeking new contracts to keep their fleets busy.
Flying Together

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 08, 2020 10:53 am

OA260 wrote:

UK aviation and energy business Stobart Group last week said that it was taking a majority stake in Stobart Air, but leaving voting control with staff through an employee share trust.

Willie Walsh, chief executive of Aer Lingus owner International Consolidated Airlines Group, said on Thursday that other carriers had expressed interest in operating the Aer Lingus regional routes now flown by Stobart Air.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/tran ... Dg4bVk2Vg..

“We have had a good relationship with them, but they got distracted by faraway hills,” Mr Walsh said of Stobart Air.

What does that mean? RE's previous partnership with BE? You can see why EI would prefer an exclusive partner all to themselves but it wouldn't be ideal from the franchisee's standpoint. The eggs and basket cliche comes to mind here.

Clydenairways

Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:

“We have had a good relationship with them, but they got distracted by faraway hills,” Mr Walsh said of Stobart Air.

What does that mean? RE's previous partnership with BE? You can see why EI would prefer an exclusive partner all to themselves but it wouldn't be ideal from the franchisee's standpoint. The eggs and basket cliche comes to mind here.

Probably talking about the Virgin Connect thing. They have had the BE franchise out of SEN for a long time before that, so it's probably not that.

Allanc1987

Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 am

He was annoyed with Storbart Air being close with Virgin Atlantic and the Bearded One. As Walsh wanted to buy as Flybe,

BrianDromey

Fri May 08, 2020 11:25 am

Head For Points summarised the IAG Q1 presentation this morning. The positives are that IAG is currently generating cash from the very limited flying. Of course the fixed costs are gobbling all that and more about £200 million a week. They also report that IAG see little point in social distancing on aircraft - blocking the middle seat only adds 18" of space laterally, or 45cm and does nothing for the rows in front and behind.

Very much following the Ryanair view of social distancing on aircraft and makes the furore on the LHR-BHD flight this week seem pointless - true social distancing is only possible at very low loads. Unless you are doing it properly, why bother?
https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/05/0 ... ronavirus/
AmricanShamrok wrote:

My guess is that it is in reference to the SEN and Carlisle Airport investments going on at Stobart, the Virgin Connect debacle is probably also an issue. Stobart Air (RE) needed to diversify their business as Air Nostrum and CityJet have been openly looking to bid for the Regional contract when it expires. This is where IAG and Stobart priorities diverge - IAG just wants cheap Regional feed, they don't care who operates it.

factsonly

Fri May 08, 2020 12:55 pm

May 8, 2020:

- BRU 14.45 - DUB 14.59 EI2631 A333 EI-EIN

https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN2631/2477c4d0

leghorn

Fri May 08, 2020 2:55 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
OA260 wrote:
Other carriers interested in operating regiownal routes from 2022, IAG chief says

With so many lessors in Dublin and so many free airframes they could even bring it back in house. The Unions aren't in a good position to throw a tantrum.
The should at least look at it to establish a base price they are willing to pay for the value added of using a contractor.

If they are looking to capitalize on the closure of FlyBE it is better for them to run the service as then they get the benefit when they try to push Dublin as a hub for onward connection.

OA260

Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 pm

Ryanair calls on Taoiseach to take action to stop Dublin Airport 'profiteering' from crisis

Low cost airline Ryanair has called on the Taoiseach to take action and reverse "unjustified 'parking' charges" which are imposed on aircraft grounded at Dublin airport by government travel bans.

In a statement, the airline said that while it "fully supports" travel bans, Dublin Airport should not profit from the crisis "at the expense of customer airlines grounded by Government travel bans"

It called for the charges, deemed "excessive fees" to be waived by Dublin Airport.

https://m.independent.ie/incoming/coron ... ZVT1ubbV7Q

bennett123

Fri May 08, 2020 6:54 pm

They are his planes, why should he get free parking/?.

Eagleboy

Fri May 08, 2020 9:49 pm

He has a point. Parking charges are normal. But the current situation is not normal.
I dont agree with his inference that it is "govt travel bans" causing the issue.

JAmie2k9

Fri May 08, 2020 9:56 pm

daa have issued the charges publicly, they are been charged €180 per aircraft per day instead of €2,678 if full charge was applied.

They could move to other cheaper airports...

OA260

Fri May 08, 2020 10:24 pm

374 staff at the IAA earned over €100,000 last year

The numbers of staff earning over €100,000 at the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) last year increased by 31 to 374.

That is according to the 2019 IAA annual report which also discloses that the body has this year slashed its dividend to the State by 60% to €7.8m.

The board of the IAA made its decision to sharply reduce the dividend from the €19.5m paid out in 2019 on March 20th as restrictions from Covid 19 began to be implemented.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0508/1137 ... last-year/

dstc47

Sat May 09, 2020 8:23 am

The BBC are reporting that UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland from end May.

This will make many trips totally pointless and the effect on the industry will be a further disaster.
The exemption for the ROI is understandable but then the exemption the Donald gave for travel from Ireland to the USA did not last very long, did it.

Eirules

Sat May 09, 2020 8:31 am

dstc47 wrote:
The BBC are reporting that UK airlines say they have been told the government will bring in a 14-day quarantine for anyone arriving in the UK from any country apart from the Republic of Ireland from end May.

This will make many trips totally pointless and the effect on the industry will be a further disaster.
The exemption for the ROI is understandable but then the exemption the Donald gave for travel from Ireland to the USA did not last very long, did it.

I’m assuming ROI is excluded because of the NI complications. If ROI was included you simply drive to Belfast and hop on a domestic flight to mainland UK. It’d be impossible to police

OA260

Sat May 09, 2020 10:41 am

The UK Government could be set to announce a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all passengers into Britain as part of measures aimed at avoiding a second Covid-19 peak, according to reports in British media.

Travellers from the Republic of Ireland will be excluded from the quarantine.

The Times newspaper said that Prime Minister Boris Johnson will make the announcement today.

www.rte.ie/news/world/2020/0509/1137408 ... uarantine/

The Republic of Ireland will most likely tighten rules also and recently Aer Lingus has been emailing customers due to fly back into Ireland with a form that needs to be filled out. So it will be a CTA bubble which makes sense with regards to the ROI / UK land border.

DalRiada

Sat May 09, 2020 1:18 pm

Every country will introduce these mandatory quarantines. It’s the only way to stop the virus being imported again and leading to another lockdown.

kaitak
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Does our quarantine rule exclude the UK, in the same way as its rule excludes us? That will at least make it easier for flights between the two countries to restart.

OA260

Sat May 09, 2020 1:44 pm

kaitak wrote:
Does our quarantine rule exclude the UK, in the same way as its rule excludes us? That will at least make it easier for flights between the two countries to restart.

Currently includes UK except NI which is a bit useless as you can fly Aer Lingus LHR-BHD then jump on the Ulsterbus or Enterprise unchecked to Dublin! Thats why it needs to be a CTA plan with full commitment from all UK devolved governments and the Irish government.

AmricanShamrok

Sat May 09, 2020 1:55 pm

DalRiada wrote:
Every country will introduce these mandatory quarantines. It’s the only way to stop the virus being imported again and leading to another lockdown.

There are pros and cons to imposing indefinite, mandatory, 14-day quarantines on all arriving passengers. As you say, it can be effective in preventing imported cases and once other infection control measures mature, economic activity within the "travel bubble" can resume to some degree of normality. On the other hand of course, international travel outside of the bubble is severely restricted as 14-day quarantines in each direction make most trips unfeasible. This isn't a viable long-term solution as far as the aviation industry is concerned. If Leo is serious about international leisure travel resuming by the end of the year, the mandatory quarantine proposal wouldn't be a realistic option.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingn ... 98469.html

BrianDromey

Sat May 09, 2020 2:23 pm

OA260 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Currently includes UK except NI which is a bit useless as you can fly Aer Lingus LHR-BHD then jump on the Ulsterbus or Enterprise unchecked to Dublin! Thats why it needs to be a CTA plan with full commitment from all UK devolved governments and the Irish government.

The numbers are limited, however. The reality of the situation is that the UK and Irish approaches to COVID-19 have been different and the result has been very different in the two jurisdictions. While I appreciate this is politically very difficult Im not sure that unlimited access from GB to Ireland is a very good idea given the infection rates in the UK - second only to the USA. Travel restrictions are not unprecedented, even within the UK. Jersey and the IoM require 14 days quarantine on arrival.

Aerlingus330neo

Sat May 09, 2020 2:55 pm

OA260 wrote:
Ryanair calls on Taoiseach to take action to stop Dublin Airport 'profiteering' from crisis

Low cost airline Ryanair has called on the Taoiseach to take action and reverse "unjustified 'parking' charges" which are imposed on aircraft grounded at Dublin airport by government travel bans.

In a statement, the airline said that while it "fully supports" travel bans, Dublin Airport should not profit from the crisis "at the expense of customer airlines grounded by Government travel bans"

It called for the charges, deemed "excessive fees" to be waived by Dublin Airport.

https://m.independent.ie/incoming/coron ... ZVT1ubbV7Q

Speaking of parking aircraft, anyone know if Aer Lingus is struggling to park theres all in Dublin, as I counted 6 A320's parked in BHD, one parked and stored over at the GA apron of the field.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos