Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Eagleboy

Re: Irish 5/20: April dragged, but May flies ...

Mon May 18, 2020 9:50 am

ELBOB wrote:
I appreciate that most PPE is high-volume / low-density, but still 13 tonnes per flight is remarkably inefficient. I suppose that's what happens when you hand-stack cargo on passenger seats instead of hiring a pallet-loaded main-deck freighter and getting the job done properly.

Nice little earner for EIN but someone's going to be paying the bill out of their taxes. I don't remember this deal being put out to tender... and I don't think we should be celebrating state-sponsored inefficiency.

Really don’t think you do appreciate the situation. You do know that the cargo holds are also used?

As posted above the HSE/Irish Govt has gotten themselves their own private cargo fleet.
Would you rather they offered the role for tender, meaning delays in awarding the contracts, and having to deal with airlines abroad who might have lots of similar contracts to distract them, or maybe ask DHL/UPS/FedEx if they have any availability?

“Getting the job done properly” is a laudable sentiment when you have foreknowledge of an upcoming situation.
“Getting the job done now” is the mantra when you have a public health crisis in your nation.

AmricanShamrok

Mon May 18, 2020 10:10 am

In emergency situations like this, the State can bypass the usual tender process. I work in the public sector myself and know how tedious and time-consuming this can be. I think the government did the right thing in the prevailing circumstances; we were also very lucky to source such a large amount of PPE at short notice so we rightly jumped at the chance to get it delivered as quickly as possible. As others mention, cargo freighters are a commodity at the moment so we don't know how much cheaper/efficient it would have been.

--

As we know, AA put all of its 757s into early retirement a few weeks back. I know it's very early days but the provisional schedule for S21 is showing PHL-SNN being operated by a 5x weekly 788 (was previously 7x weekly 752). I was expecting AA to deploy the 32N on the route if it did return next year but it was interestingly pointed out on another thread that under AA's joint venture with BA, they are required to operate aircraft with lie-flat seats on all Irish/UK routes which would rule the 32N out. The direct replacement for the transatlantic 752s is the A321XLR but is not scheduled for delivery until 2023.

Eirules

Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 am

AmricanShamrok wrote:
In emergency situations like this, the State can bypass the usual tender process. I work in the public sector myself and know how tedious and time-consuming this can be. I think the government did the right thing in the prevailing circumstances; we were also very lucky to source such a large amount of PPE at short notice so we rightly jumped at the chance to get it delivered as quickly as possible. As others mention, cargo freighters are a commodity at the moment so we don't know how much cheaper/efficient it would have been.

--

As we know, AA put all of its 757s into early retirement a few weeks back. I know it's very early days but the provisional schedule for S21 is showing PHL-SNN being operated by a 5x weekly 788 (was previously 7x weekly 752). I was expecting AA to deploy the 32N on the route if it did return next year but it was interestingly pointed out on another thread that under AA's joint venture with BA, they are required to operate aircraft with lie-flat seats on all Irish/UK routes which would rule the 32N out. The direct replacement for the transatlantic 752s is the A321XLR but is not scheduled for delivery until 2023.

If EI have joined the joint venture by then, maybe an EI 321 could operate it
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

iRISH251

Mon May 18, 2020 11:00 am

BrianDromey wrote:
Maybe inefficient, but I wonder if it’s 100 sectors - which would be 50 inbound flights?

It is 100 rotations, with this having been added to over recent days with a further four-to-five rotations a day.

AmricanShamrok

Mon May 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Eirules wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

--

I never thought of that. Does anyone know how EI's entry to the JV is progressing? Is it still going ahead or is it paused?

IrishTexan

Mon May 18, 2020 5:22 pm

AmricanShamrok wrote:
Eirules wrote:
AmricanShamrok wrote:

--

I never thought of that. Does anyone know how EI's entry to the JV is progressing? Is it still going ahead or is it paused?

The most recent development on the JV is this UK Competition and Markets Authority report of May 7,2020. The report is primarily concerned with competition on AA/BA routes ex London.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... tments.pdf

OA260

Tue May 19, 2020 7:21 am

Spike in demand for pilot and aircraft engineer licences
Irish Aviation Authority says it has made all necessary arrangements to separate safety regulation and air navigation

A spike in demand for pilot and aircraft engineer licences put pressure on resources at air travel regulators last year, according to a government-commissioned report.

The annual report of the regulator, the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA), recently confirmed that the number of aircraft engineer’s licences it issued jumped 42.1 per cent to more than 2,500 last year.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 0?mode=amp

Refunds rather than insults would serve Ryanair boss well

Michael O’Leary has always been willing to conduct more than one fight at a time, but the Ryanair chief executive, who seems in danger of exploding with fury every time he speaks at the moment, may be well-advised to calm down and deploy smarter tactics.
For starters, his outrage over “state-aid dopers”, as he calls Lufthansa, Air France-KLM and others, is unlikely to achieve much.

https://amp.theguardian.com/business/ni ... oronavirus

JAmie2k9

Tue May 19, 2020 2:30 pm

The Daa has informed staff that it may need up to 1,000 voluntary redundancies and other cost reductions because of the collapse in passenger numbers at Irish airports due the Covid-19 virus.

In a memo to staff, chief executive Dalton Philips said that, with passenger numbers down by 99%, the outlook for the rest of the year is "bleak", and it only expects to have a throughput of 21 million passengers next year.

That would be down from 33 million per year in Dublin, and 2.6 million in Cork.

He notes that the last time Dublin and Cork Airports operated with that reduced level of passenger traffic, it had 750 to 1000 fewer personnel.

He also warned staff that a return to 2019 levels of activity is unlikely for several years, and that the daa is now "significantly over-resourced" for the current level of passenger throughput.

Mr Philips said that all non-pay costs are under review, but cautioned that "...our entire non-pay costs only account for just over one third of total costs for the Irish business."

On jobs, Mr Philips said frontline teams are currently significantly over-resourced and will continue to be so until the required cost reductions are completed across the business.

"We are looking at all options, but to give you a sense of the scale of the issue that we are facing, when Dublin and Cork airports last welcomed 21 million passengers per year, we had between 750 and 1,000 fewer employees in the business," he said.

Full details:
https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0 ... undancies/

kaitak
Topic Author

Tue May 19, 2020 3:55 pm

American is to operate 772s on the DUB-CLT route and 788s on the DUB-PHL and SNN-PHL routes in Summer 2021. I think this will be Shannon's first scheduled 787 flight.

HTCone

Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

kaitak wrote:
American is to operate 772s on the DUB-CLT route and 788s on the DUB-PHL and SNN-PHL routes in Summer 2021. I think this will be Shannon's first scheduled 787 flight.

I'd take everything from AA with a pinch of salt. Investors seem to believe chapter 11 is a certainty for them.

Eagleboy

Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Just going back on the issue of cargo tenders;

https://flyinginireland.com/2020/05/rep ... n-to-lift/

Aer Lingus have recently completed their 100th rotation between Dublin and Beijing with PPE........for front line workers in the HSE.
Other flights to Dublin are being operated by Finnair who have started a run of 23 flights from Guangzhou in China via Helsinki operated by their A350 aircraft.
Virgin Atlantic have commenced their new cargo only service operating Los Angeles – Dublin – London Heathrow using Boeing 787 Dreamliner’s ...... twice a week. Emirates have also commenced a weekly cargo only service from Dubai using a passenger configured Boeing 777-300ER aircraft.

IrishTexan

Wed May 20, 2020 6:47 am

DUB made it into the top 20 airports for international passenger numbers for 2019.
https://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article110697.html
My home airport DFW also moved up to from 15th to 10th in overall passenger numbers with some of that growth thanks to DUB.
How long before those figures are repeated?

OA260

Wed May 20, 2020 7:02 am

Coronavirus: Ryanair boss's face mask claim fact-checked

Ryanair boss Michael O'Leary has claimed that if everyone wore face masks on planes and public transport, it would ''eliminate the risk of spreading Covid-19 by about 98.5%''.

Mr O'Leary, who wants to restart flights in July, was speaking on BBC Radio 4's Today programme. He called the government's plan to quarantine travellers for 14 days "ineffectual" and "unmanageable".

Mr O'Leary said the 98.5% figure came from a study by the Mater Hospital in Dublin. He was unable to produce it and the airline directed us instead to a tweet from the hospital.

www.bbc.com/news/amp/52707461

kaitak
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 5:19 pm

Just came across this KLM video on FB, which also includes a comment about the elimination of the coronavirus on board by the cabin filtration system?

https://www.facebook.com/KLM/videos/3086953074698653/

Could our govt require the taking of temperatures prior to boarding, as featured in this video? Would this be acceptable as an alternative to quarantine?

There are, as we've said many times here, going to be several changes on board flights; for one thing, the pre-flight safety briefing and videos are going to have to be changed to make reference to the wearing of masks and other C-19 related provisions.

As to the keeping of the middle seats empty, I know it's been said here that this is ineffective, but it also occurs to me that LFs are going to be fairly low when things get back and running and I wonder if this might be part of the "confidence rebuilding" stage, even for the first month or so, which might allow health agencies some time to gauge whether the provisions put in place are effective and if (or not) more provisions need to be put in place.

Phen

Wed May 20, 2020 10:32 pm

kaitak wrote:
As to the keeping of the middle seats empty, I know it's been said here that this is ineffective, but it also occurs to me that LFs are going to be fairly low when things get back and running and I wonder if this might be part of the "confidence rebuilding" stage, even for the first month or so, which might allow health agencies some time to gauge whether the provisions put in place are effective and if (or not) more provisions need to be put in place.

Thats not a bad idea. If intra-European airlines can be confident that there isn't >66% or so LF demand anyway, then where's the harm in making some noise and fuss about leaving middle seats empty (initially at least) to help reassure the more nervous passengers. It might encourage some people to fly who otherwise might not have if they think they'll be sitting beside a stranger for an extended period.

As for temperature checks, I don't think this alone can be an alternative to quarantine. It seems to be well documented so far that you can be infectious with Covid but not have a raised temperature. So yes I think the Government will advise temperature checks at some point but it will probably only be part of a larger suite of measures which might still have to include some sort of quarantine. At the moment it looks like countries will be selective about what nationalities will have to quarantine and which ones won't. From an Irish point of view, having not been impacted as much as countries like our close neighbour will hopefully be an advantage in terms of being allowed access to the more popular summer holiday countries.

OA260

Thu May 21, 2020 8:05 am

Dublin Airport should prepare for growth now to avoid playing catch-up

Tourism played a key role in creating jobs after the financial crash, but the sector's long-term post-pandemic revival could be hampered if key infrastructure projects at Dublin Airport - the country's busiest gateway - are put on ice.

The chief executive of the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA), the semi-State company that operates Dublin and Cork airports, yesterday told staff of stark decisions the firm needs to rapidly make in the face of a collapse in air traffic.

https://amp.independent.ie/opinion/comm ... 19279.html

Fianna Fáil TD for Clare Cathal Crowe has welcomed a cross-party commitment from Midwest TDs to ensure growth at Shannon Airport at this challenging time.

Today saw the first meeting held, via teleconference, of the newly established Oireachtas Shannon Airport grouping, with TDs from Clare, Limerick and Tipperary in attendance.

“We all acknowledge the importance of Shannon Airport to this region and it’s so critical that we ensure that it continues to contribute to our economy,” said Deputy Crowe.

http://clareherald.com/2020/05/tds-to-w ... wth-15805/

BrianDromey

Thu May 21, 2020 8:15 am

Phen wrote:

Thats not a bad idea. If intra-European airlines can be confident that there isn't >66% or so LF demand anyway, then where's the harm in making some noise and fuss about leaving middle seats empty (initially at least) to help reassure the more nervous passengers. It might encourage some people to fly who otherwise might not have if they think they'll be sitting beside a stranger for an extended period.

Probably at loads close to 70% the middle seat could be left free if households are to travel together. I would worry that the airlines are setting themselves up to fail if they fail to deliver on their attempts to keep the middle seat free. Just look at the storm the full flight between BHD and LHR caused. I would suggest that if people want to be sure of the middle seat being left empty then Aer Space / Club Europe are the cabins to book.

Clydenairways

Thu May 21, 2020 9:36 am

Phen wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Is there any actual regulation requiring the middle seat to be blocked? As far as i know it is just something fueled by the media. It's a totally ineffective measure, you would need to be far more drastic to create any kind of social distancing.
I think that in the next few months in most modes of transport that face coverings will be the main protection measure that is practical, even though the science is dubious on that one too.
Once people start returning to work in bigger numbers, social distancing in public transport will be impossible.
Airlines are struggling and the return to flying that is viable is their only way to save the industry. Forced 60% LF's will bring no health benefit at all and continue to threaten the viability of the industry.

Phen

Thu May 21, 2020 9:51 am

I think you may be misinterpreting our point. Of course we know leaving the middle seat empty is ineffective and largely pointless but IF load factors are likely to be low initially then it may be to the airlines' advantage to 'play-along' with the middle seat empty idea for a while to appease the more nervous passengers who do believe it will make a difference and may encourage them to fly. Then as demand picks up, sell all seats that are in demand. Nobody is suggesting forced 60% load factors.

My own parents would be considered vulnerable as they are elderly and have said they would feel a lot better flying if they thought there'd be a free seat between them and the next person. There's no evidence for it but some people do feel that way.

Clydenairways

Thu May 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Phen wrote:
I think you may be misinterpreting our point. Of course we know leaving the middle seat empty is ineffective and largely pointless but IF load factors are likely to be low initially then it may be to the airlines' advantage to 'play-along' with the middle seat empty idea for a while to appease the more nervous passengers who do believe it will make a difference and may encourage them to fly. Then as demand picks up, sell all seats that are in demand. Nobody is suggesting forced 60% load factors.

My own parents would be considered vulnerable as they are elderly and have said they would feel a lot better flying if they thought there'd be a free seat between them and the next person. There's no evidence for it but some people do feel that way.

Average load factors may be low but certain flights at peak times and to more popular routes such as LHR could see individual LF's higher than the average. Other routes maybe as low as 20%.
It's just not practical for public transport.

OA260

Thu May 21, 2020 1:03 pm

BrianDromey wrote:
I would suggest that if people want to be sure of the middle seat being left empty then Aer Space / Club Europe are the cabins to book.

I mostly did that before this crisis anyway. Just a nicer way to fly. Of course not everyones budgets can do that but if they see a cheapo FR or EI fare in future then another option is to just book a spare seat. I have done that myself a few times.

EIEIDW

Fri May 22, 2020 7:48 am

Air Canada Changes:

Montreal- Cancelled
Vancouver- Cancelled
Toronto- Resumes July 1st 4x Weekly

OA260

Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 am

Ryanair start cancelling flights from Cork Airport into July despite planning to return to 40% capacity
The airline are hoping to increase flights from the start of July

Ryanair have quietly started to cancel flights in July despite the fact that they plan to return to 40% capacity from the beginning of the month.

The company announced earlier this month that they plan to restore 40% of their flight schedule from July 1st, with holiday destinations amongst the routes coming back online.

Despite this the low cost airline have started to inform customers that their flights in July have been cancelled and are offering refunds and vouchers.

Some of the destinations that flights have been cancelled to include London, Alicante, Malaga and Majorca among many others.

http://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/r ... y-18287339

Ryanair's Laudamotion to close Vienna base

Ryanair's Laudamotion said today it would close its main base in Vienna after the transport union refused to accept pay cuts for employees of the carrier hard hit by the coronavirus crisis.

"Lauda deeply regrets the loss of more than 300 jobs for its A320-team and the closing of Lauda's A320 base in Vienna on Friday May 29," the carrier said.

www.rte.ie/amp/1139963/

AmricanShamrok

Fri May 22, 2020 9:47 am

Lauda (OE) is to close its VIE base. Not sure what implications this has for the new VIE-SNN route which was to commence this summer. Booking engine now showing all flights on the route operated by Malta Air (AL) commencing 1st July.

OA260

Fri May 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Minister for Health Simon Harris says new measures making it mandatory for all travellers arriving in Ireland to provide an address to gardaí and to self-isolate there for two weeks are in keeping with World Health Organization advice.

Minister Harris said that from next week all passengers arriving into the country will be legally required to complete a passenger locator form.

Minister Harris says it will be an offence to put the wrong information on a passenger location form. 

www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0522/1 ... d-19-blog/

Eirules

Fri May 22, 2020 5:51 pm

What utter tosh. So months after the virus exploded in other countries we’re finally implementing a legally enforceable quarantine, at the exact point when other European countries are opening their borders to tourists. Oh and let’s not force anyone arriving from the UK to quarantine even though their R number is infinitely higher than ours. And by the way, if you’ve travelled on the boat from mainland UK to NI & cross into the republic that way, your data won’t even be recorded.

Of all the half arsed public appeasement measures they’ve brought in lately, this takes the biscuit

Phen

Fri May 22, 2020 6:55 pm

Eirules wrote:
Oh and let’s not force anyone arriving from the UK to quarantine even though their R number is infinitely higher than ours.

I was under the impression passengers arriving to Ireland from the UK by air will be required to quarantine. They are not exempt.

EI564

Fri May 22, 2020 7:06 pm

Eirules wrote:
What utter tosh. So months after the virus exploded in other countries we’re finally implementing a legally enforceable quarantine, at the exact point when other European countries are opening their borders to tourists. Oh and let’s not force anyone arriving from the UK to quarantine even though their R number is infinitely higher than ours. And by the way, if you’ve travelled on the boat from mainland UK to NI & cross into the republic that way, your data won’t even be recorded.

Of all the half arsed public appeasement measures they’ve brought in lately, this takes the biscuit

And in fairness, not many people have been travelling over the last couple of months. Now that things seem to be getting better, that could change. Thus, a quarantine is needed. They say it will expire in mid June, so if things continue to get better, we can remove it.

Not that a quarantine is that different from what the rest of us are dealing with anyhow.

Vicenza

Fri May 22, 2020 7:29 pm

Phen wrote:
Eirules wrote:
Oh and let’s not force anyone arriving from the UK to quarantine even though their R number is infinitely higher than ours.

I was under the impression passengers arriving to Ireland from the UK by air will be required to quarantine. They are not exempt.

Your impression would be incorrect though. The quarantine does not apply to any travel, air or ferry, between the UK and Republic of Ireland

Eagleboy

Fri May 22, 2020 7:44 pm

I can understand a sense of “barn door” with this passenger location info. However it will be helpful in case of 2nd wave of infection.
The exemption of the CTA is disappointing. I fully understand the politics around it regarding the 6 counties.
But Wouldn’t it make sense for both islands to have it in place?

Eirules

Fri May 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Why have it in place at all? All of the metrics show we are in a much better place with COVID 19, but we know something better / different to Greece, Germany, Italy, Spain etc?

OA260

Fri May 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Deepest downturn the aviation industry has ever experienced' - More cuts to pay and hours at Aer Lingus

In March, Aer Lingus said that overall pay for staff was being slashed by 50pc

Aer Lingus employees are to be told next week of additional cuts to pay and working hours as well as redundancies.
The airline’s chief executive, Sean Doyle, told staff in a video message today that the Covid-19 pandemic has had a “crippling” effect on the carrier, which is part of the IAG group that also owns British Airways, Iberia, Vueling and Level.

He said that today, Aer Lingus will carry just 939 passengers. On Friday of this week last year, it carried 18,361.

www.independent.ie/business/deepest-dow ... 27293.html

Phen

Fri May 22, 2020 8:48 pm

Vicenza wrote:
Your impression would be incorrect though. The quarantine does not apply to any travel, air or ferry, between the UK and Republic of Ireland

My apologies then - it seems RTE's Sean Whelan is clearly misinformed in that case.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/202 ... o-ireland/

(His video is within the article)

OA260

Sat May 23, 2020 6:28 am

Cityjet to seek up to 700 redundancies across Europe

Will Goodbody
Cityjet has told unions representing staff at the airline that it is to begin a consultation process on redundancies that could lead to up to 276 employees across its Irish and UK operations leaving the organisation.

It is expected that the redundancies will impact the airline's administration, flying and engineering support staff.

A further 400 staff in its operations in various cities across Europe also look likely to lose their jobs.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0522/1139 ... undancies/

Fliplot

Sat May 23, 2020 7:24 pm

Zurich Airport announce Terminal A new build and then demolition of the current Terminal A. Major state of the art construction with a number of apron changes. Futuristic construction envisaged. Great use of limited space. It's already a superb airport with 1m less passangers than DUB.in 2019 yet it is still planning for the future. If only DUB could be so proactive!

Fliplot

Sat May 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Tunnelvision

Sun May 24, 2020 9:16 am

Top dogs never loose. Irish law protects overseas investors, Irish workers and their families pay the price

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/city ... b96f9685bc

OA260

Sun May 24, 2020 10:55 am

Tunnelvision wrote:
Top dogs never loose. Irish law protects overseas investors, Irish workers and their families pay the price

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/city ... b96f9685bc

Probably time sadly to just let Cityjet die. They lost their way sometime ago going from a nice little well run airline into a company that really lost its identity and focus.

dstc47

Sun May 24, 2020 11:17 am

Passengers from the UK to the ROI, except those coming from N.I., will shortly be required to fill a form and then to self isolate in the ROI for 14 days, in case there is any ambiguity from earlier posts. One large barrier to any travel.

Passengers from ROI to UK do not, however, need to self isolate in the UK.

The logic in all of this being introduced just now may be hard to work out but someone must be able to follow it. Quarantine is in, masks are in and travel is out.

wexfordflyer

Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am

Fliplot wrote:
Zurich Airport announce Terminal A new build and then demolition of the current Terminal A. Major state of the art construction with a number of apron changes. Futuristic construction envisaged. Great use of limited space. It's already a superb airport with 1m less passangers than DUB.in 2019 yet it is still planning for the future. If only DUB could be so proactive!

And if only DUB could have the money that Zurich Airport has. DUB being regulated under a single till system and having a regulator that cuts charges to industry low levels really doesn't allow them the capital to compete with the likes of ZRH on infrastructure.
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

Galwayman

Sun May 24, 2020 12:11 pm

Just setting up some provisional work trips to Brazil for the end of the year . Looks like TAP have 3 flights from Dublin to Lisbon scheduled on certain days and also possibly some night stops ? Anyone know how they’re doing ex Dublin with loads etc ?

Skyblue39

Sun May 24, 2020 1:33 pm

Galwayman wrote:
Just setting up some provisional work trips to Brazil for the end of the year . Looks like TAP have 3 flights from Dublin to Lisbon scheduled on certain days and also possibly some night stops ? Anyone know how they’re doing ex Dublin with loads etc ?

They are cleaning up on Dublin-Brazil flights, so not surprising to see a 3rd daily added.

Fliplot

Sun May 24, 2020 1:57 pm

Not sure I entirely agree with you Wexfordflyer. For sure ZRH is an expensive location but the infrastructure costs are considerably less. It costs DUB a lot to build little! Not only does ZRH not have any more available land but its airspace is tightly controlled by Germany.DUB has land but little imagination. Terminal 2 at DUB still remains one of the most expensive static projects ever built in Dublin probably to be out done only by the new children's hospital!

ClassicLover

Sun May 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Not sure I entirely agree with you Wexfordflyer. For sure ZRH is an expensive location but the infrastructure costs are considerably less. It costs DUB a lot to build little! Not only does ZRH not have any more available land but its airspace is tightly controlled by Germany.DUB has land but little imagination. Terminal 2 at DUB still remains one of the most expensive static projects ever built in Dublin probably to be out done only by the new children's hospital!

So what? Terminal 2 was expensive... infrastructure tends to be.

Passed through the building ever? It remains a very pleasant experience all round, thanks to its excellent design. You never really feel the crowds as much as at some other airport terminals and it comes across as elegant and well designed, with plenty of light and a really decent passenger flow. You can see where the money went.

I'd rather pass though a nice terminal that doesn't give me stress than a cheap pre-fab building designed to save money because people think expensive projects are to be laughed at as a stupid waste of money.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Sun May 24, 2020 2:16 pm

Fliplot wrote:
DUB has land but little imagination. Terminal 2 at DUB still remains one of the most expensive static projects ever built in Dublin probably to be out done only by the new children's hospital!

Well to be honest we were lucky to get T2 . I guess we should be thankful. Very hard to compare ZRH to DUB or indeed Switzerland to Ireland. For one thing its a very different mentality and culture. Historically the Irish have more of a if its not broke dont fix it vision compared to other countries that invest and invest in their public infrastructure. In other countries a train station would have been built at DUB years ago for example. You see it even in everyday life. Slowly changing but a long way to go.

Fliplot

Sun May 24, 2020 2:37 pm

All of the above is correct and also expresses different opinions - which is great! DUB not crowded is simply not true. There are times it is bursting at the seams. If we do not compare how can we improve? My point on infrastructure costs remains valid - Ireland is not capable of large "state" infrastructure projects! Whether it be politics, procurement or simple incomoetence the projects always over run and by multiples!
Dont remember seeing prefabs at ZRH. Maybe more straight lines and less curves might help!

Galwayman

Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm

Skyblue39 wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

They are cleaning up on Dublin-Brazil flights, so not surprising to see a 3rd daily added.

I can see why too , great airline , great prices , fantastic Brazil network .... the 3rd flight makes superb connection times

EI564

Sun May 24, 2020 4:37 pm

Fliplot wrote:
My point on infrastructure costs remains valid - Ireland is not capable of large "state" infrastructure projects! Whether it be politics, procurement or simple incomoetence the projects always over run and by multiples!

I know T2 wasn't cheap but did it overrun? While there has been project failures in Ireland, i'm not sure are we as bad as we think. Even Germany gets it wrong occasionally.

And the new runway project seems to be moving along fine.

I don't mind new restrictions on travel into the country, as long as it is temporary. We certainly should know where people are staying from a contact tracing point of view. But if progress continues, then restrictions should be lifted. Right now, most countries in Europe have restrictions but a lot of them are looking at relaxing them over the next few weeks. We shouldn't be much different (if things continue to improve here).

OA260

Sun May 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Forms for those entering State to be mandatory as regulations signed

Minister for Health Simon Harris has signed the regulations making it mandatory for all passengers coming into Ireland to fill out a passenger locator form.

From next Thursday it will be an offence for passengers not to fill in the form, giving details of where they intend to stay for the following 14 days.

Passengers coming into the country are being asked to self-isolate for 14 days.

Failure to fill in the form will be punishable by a fine of not more than €2,500 or a term of imprisonment of not more than six months.

www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0524/1 ... gulations/

SuperSix2

Sun May 24, 2020 8:28 pm

Am i right in thinking that filling in the form is mandatory but the 14 day quarantine is not?? It's more voluntary.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos