Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

TK787
Topic Author

Turkish Aviation May 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:53 pm

Hello there Turkish aviation fans,
I will try to start this conversation from where we left off and hope for better days for all.

Things are at a stand still.
TK and Pegasus are not flying passenger flights, Most planes are parked, employees staying at home, plans changed, future is uncertain for everything including aviation.

-TK planning to resume all flights by May 28th. Pegasus will do the same for Domestic routes and they plan to start International flights by June 1st.
-TK was planning on starting EWR this month.
-TK might receive its first 350 next month. By the way #12 and #13 TK 787s are almost ready to be delivered at KPAE.
-During the pandemic, work is still going on at IST’s 3rd runway ( might be ready in June), SAW and Trabzon runways. When the new terminal finishes at SAW, Pegasus will get its own terminal.
-176 subway cars are to be purchased from China for IST metro. IIRC, the metro will be ready by end of 2022.
-I don’t want to get too political here but it made me really upset to see runways being bulldozed at ISL to make room for a makeshift hospital for COVID patients. It just doesn’t make sense, however you look at it :(
-On a good note, I am hoping to get my Herpa 1:500 scale model TK 787 this month.

Please continue with your news, views, photos, rumors and good old sense of humor. Refrain from personal attacks and political commentary.

Welcome and Stay Healthy.

You can find last month's thread here:
Turkish Aviation April 2020

OA260

Re: Turkish Aviation May 2020

Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks for a new thread. When I was in IST back in Jan/Feb who would have known we would end up with the current situation. Still we have some interesting cargo flights to look at on FR24.

LAXintl

Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:18 pm

TK Cargo becomes the world’s first cargo operator to concurrently hold all three IATA CEIV certificates (for the transport of pharma, fresh items, and live animals)

https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/t ... fications/
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mafaky

Fri May 01, 2020 7:21 am

A joyful (!!!) May 2020, for all!

You may recall that TK had postponed the delivery of its first Airbus 359 (the TC-LGA), during late March this year due to the CoronaVirus effects. This bird was flown from Toulouse to Airbus Hamburg facilities for temporary storage. Now, a further a321neo ready for delivery (the TC-LSS) has been sent to Erfurt Airport (in Germany) from Airbus Hamburg facility, for temporary storage and will not be taken delivery at the short term future. Its even younger sister (the TC-LST) will most probably undergo the same procedure.

IMHO, I don't expect TK to take delivery of these 3 birds, plus the 12th and maybe the 13th Boeing 789s at KPAE during May, or even during June. July may be the earliest date. ????
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

fil87

Fri May 01, 2020 8:38 am

Thank you guys for the amazing work you doing within this thread. Personally, I am sure that the situation will get back to (almost) normality by the very end of August. I have TK flights booked in September, October & November and have no intention to cancel these plans at all (unless forced to, of course). People will go back travelling once this hysteria most of the media is spreading around will be over. Suggestion: would you guys book/be comfortable with a connection in IST of one hour only? any similar experience you can share?

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 10:48 am

fil87 wrote:
Thank you guys for the amazing work you doing within this thread. Personally, I am sure that the situation will get back to (almost) normality by the very end of August. I have TK flights booked in September, October & November and have no intention to cancel these plans at all (unless forced to, of course). People will go back travelling once this hysteria most of the media is spreading around will be over. Suggestion: would you guys book/be comfortable with a connection in IST of one hour only? any similar experience you can share?

I hope you are correct about your predictions. All my flights with TK this month are cancelled. I was supposed to be in Porto, today.
Nevertheless, I actually bought an INT ticket with United last night for Feb'21 travel, :crossfingers:
One hour connection time in IST, is pretty tricky. Many unknowns at this point. What month, what time of the day?? We have no idea how long it would take TK to get back to its normal daily schedule of preCOVID. It might be a very gradual process, depending on many different factors. If it was anywhere near normal situation, I would say YES, and worst case scenario, you miss your connection and TK will get you a hotel room until the next flight.
If you can afford to be delayed, I'd say take the chance, enjoy a possible TK complimentary room.
I never had a one-hour connection at IST.
We still don't know what kind of screening TK might have in place at IST, even for transferring pax.
Bon Voyage.

MoonC

Fri May 01, 2020 12:12 pm

mafaky wrote:
You may recall that TK had postponed the delivery of its first Airbus 359 (the TC-LGA), during late March this year due to the CoronaVirus effects. This bird was flown from Toulouse to Airbus Hamburg facilities for temporary storage.

? It was never flown to Hamburg. It's still on the flightline in Toulouse. It recently (23rd of April) did its second test flight too.

Besides, according to this source, first delivery is planned for the end of this month.
https://tolgaozbek.com/haberler/havayollari/thy-airbus-a350-icin-gorusuyor-ozel-haber/

fil87

Fri May 01, 2020 1:40 pm

TK787 wrote:
fil87 wrote:

I hope you are correct about your predictions. All my flights with TK this month are cancelled. I was supposed to be in Porto, today.
Nevertheless, I actually bought an INT ticket with United last night for Feb'21 travel, :crossfingers:
One hour connection time in IST, is pretty tricky. Many unknowns at this point. What month, what time of the day?? We have no idea how long it would take TK to get back to its normal daily schedule of preCOVID. It might be a very gradual process, depending on many different factors. If it was anywhere near normal situation, I would say YES, and worst case scenario, you miss your connection and TK will get you a hotel room until the next flight.
If you can afford to be delayed, I'd say take the chance, enjoy a possible TK complimentary room.
I never had a one-hour connection at IST.
We still don't know what kind of screening TK might have in place at IST, even for transferring pax.
Bon Voyage.

Well I like to stay positive you know. As I said, media is playing a huge role in this situation (but thats just my humble opinion), thats why I did stop watching most of the news. Regarding which screening measure the airline will be putting in place - you are very right, this is unknown at this stage. My connection would be midnight to 1am, in December 2020. That's quite a rush hour at İstanbul, am aware of it. Will be probably looking for a longer connection as the next flight would be in 20 hours.

AirbusA343

Sat May 02, 2020 3:37 pm

If Planespotters is to be believed, then I can confirm that TC-JMM and JMN have been retired as I've suspected for months.

stylo777

Sat May 02, 2020 4:21 pm

LAXintl wrote:
TK Cargo becomes the world’s first cargo operator to concurrently hold all three IATA CEIV certificates (for the transport of pharma, fresh items, and live animals)

https://www.aircargonews.net/airlines/t ... fications/

please help me out: what makes it a difference to other cargo carriers? what makes it the first cargo operator? for instance, LH Cargo is transporting all three "commodities" for many years https://lufthansa-cargo.com/products... same for AF/KLM https://www.afklcargo.com/WW/en/common/ ... utions.jsp
is it just a certification matter?

mafaky

Sat May 02, 2020 8:17 pm

AirbusA343 wrote:
If Planespotters is to be believed, then I can confirm that TC-JMM and JMN have been retired as I've suspected for months.

plnespotters.net is a trustworthy source. Maybe the more correct status is not for these 2 birds is not "retirement". They have been removed from TK's active fleet and will be returned to the lessor company (DAE Co., in this case...). The routine and contractual practice is such to-be-returned frames undergo an extensive maintenance so that they will be in exactly the same state as when they were originally leased from the lessor, at the expense of the airline (or sometimes modified for extra costs per the lessor's new demands). Also they will be stripped off the previous airline's livery. These works may take up several weeks, sometimes over a month. On some occasions, if the lessor doesn't have an immediate new customer airline, they may be stored for an extended period of time at the airport at the lessor's expense.

Under the given crisis circumstances one may predict these two frames will remain as eventually white painted but otherwise fully maintained guests at ISL.
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

Dufo

Sat May 02, 2020 9:08 pm

TK787 wrote:
-I don’t want to get too political here but it made me really upset to see runways being bulldozed at ISL to make room for a makeshift ]

What happened there?
I seriously think I just creamed my pants without any influence from any outside variables.

fil87

Sun May 03, 2020 5:00 pm

This is a great news guys: Vienna Airport to offer coronavirus tests to avoid 14-day quarantine as of tomorrow, 4th May 2020. This could be the turning point, seriously. Any chance for TK & Istanbul airport to roll-it out as soon as they will be resuming flights?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN22F0IO

lightsaber

Sun May 03, 2020 5:32 pm

TK787 wrote:
-During the pandemic, work is still going on at IST’s 3rd runway ( might be ready in June), SAW and Trabzon runways. When the new terminal finishes at SAW, Pegasus will get its own terminal.
-176 subway cars are to be purchased from China for IST metro. IIRC, the metro will be ready by end of 2022.

There will be growth post Covid19. That 3rd runway is needed just to reduce taxi times.

SAW is amazing for a secondary airport. While the new terminal will not fill up as quickly as prior planning, it will be used well by 2022. By then those extra subway cars will be needed.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 5:55 pm

lightsaber wrote:
By then those extra subway cars will be needed.

Lightsaber

The 176 subway cars to be used from the city center to the new airport. First the construction needs to finish then it is going to take a lot of testing I've read.

ozzietukker

Sun May 03, 2020 7:13 pm

fil87 wrote:
This is a great news guys: Vienna Airport to offer coronavirus tests to avoid 14-day quarantine as of tomorrow, 4th May 2020. This could be the turning point, seriously. Any chance for TK & Istanbul airport to roll-it out as soon as they will be resuming flights?

This could be very well an important turning point, however the cost is high with € 190 it cost and the mandatory 3 hour wait.

For my company not a problem, but I guess for cheap family holidays this price is rather high, imagine with 4 people € 720 extra for 10 days holiday...

fil87

Sun May 03, 2020 7:22 pm

ozzietukker wrote:
fil87 wrote:

This could be very well an important turning point, however the cost is high with € 190 it cost and the mandatory 3 hour wait.

For my company not a problem, but I guess for cheap family holidays this price is rather high, imagine with 4 people € 720 extra for 10 days holiday...

Totally with you on the price, on the (very) high side for a test. But am sure such a price will go down in the coming months - Pharma industry, you know.

ozzietukker

Sun May 03, 2020 7:59 pm

fil87 wrote:
ozzietukker wrote:
fil87 wrote:

Totally with you on the price, on the (very) high side for a test. But am sure such a price will go down in the coming months - Pharma industry, you know.

I am quite sure the price will come down, but there is probably a capacity problem as well, as you will not be able to handle the mass arrival numbers as before.

But this is a positive thing that a test is available, probably it does more sense to do this test at the departing airport rather then the arrival airport, you have to arrive more early, but can continue your way directly at arrival, and more important, you will not be flying if you are sick and possible infect other people.

LAXintl

Sun May 03, 2020 10:10 pm

Construction moving fast at ISL

https://i.ibb.co/SRkP8wK/ISL.png

LAXintl

Sun May 03, 2020 10:19 pm

stylo777 wrote:
please help me out: what makes it a difference to other cargo carriers? what makes it the first cargo operator? for instance, LH Cargo is transporting all three "commodities" for many years https://lufthansa-cargo.com/products... same for AF/KLM https://www.afklcargo.com/WW/en/common/ ... utions.jsp
is it just a certification matter?

TK becomes first cargo operator to attain all 3 certificates simultaneously which basically validates the carrier meets the highest standards for handling such specialty cargo.
Some shippers/brokers will only utilize CEIV certificated facilities and airlines, while some insurance carriers similarly require CEIV expertise to insure shipments.
Ultimately, while it takes some cost and effort to achieve, the hope is TK gets a larger slice of these higher yield shipments.

leftcoast8

Sun May 03, 2020 10:34 pm

Is YVR still on for June 9th or has the launch been cancelled?

Jetty

Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 am

LAXintl wrote:

The construction deconstructing ISL. :shock: This still has me wondering, was the most suited location for an emergency hospital really on top of runways? Or is there something more to it?

bennett123

Mon May 04, 2020 4:31 am

www.aircraftspotting.co.uk shows 6 A300, 3 MD82, 1 B707 and 1 AN12 stored at ISL.

Are they still there or are they/have they been scrapped?.

mafaky

Mon May 04, 2020 5:50 am

Jetty wrote:
LAXintl wrote:

The construction deconstructing ISL. :shock: This still has me wondering, was the most suited location for an emergency hospital really on top of runways? Or is there something more to it?

Do you have the slightest doubt that this hospital's location has been selected in good faith and without any second thoughts???? :twisted: :banghead:

MeCe

Tue May 05, 2020 5:50 am

mafaky wrote:

Do you have the slightest doubt that this hospital's location has been selected in good faith and without any second thoughts???? :twisted: :banghead:

ISL is dead, everbody should accept this. But it was killed many many years ago, when they build third runway so close to next one. That makes expansion impossible.

If we ff to today, we have to realize how it is possible build an airport block the older one in empty area. This the action we need to question about good faith.

TK787
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 2:03 pm

https://tolgaozbek.com/haberler/havayol ... ZdGo6D4AXM
According to this site, how TK to start different destinations by month; starting June :( (Turkish Only but you'll get the message)

Even in September 2020, No EWR, YVR, Panama, Caracas, EZE, GRU.

OTTOMANAIR

Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm

TK787 wrote:
https://tolgaozbek.com/haberler/havayollari/iste-thynin-yaz-plani-ozel-haber/?fbclid=IwAR22XvUkSFT0hJ8-kSbvwGDWtVBqZJx2zOBkx8NdfL-HP-3h7ZdGo6D4AXM
According to this site, how TK to start different destinations by month; starting June :( (Turkish Only but you'll get the message)

What was the weekly frequency in flights before flights were suspended?

canmau

Tue May 05, 2020 3:24 pm

TK787 wrote:
https://tolgaozbek.com/haberler/havayollari/iste-thynin-yaz-plani-ozel-haber/?fbclid=IwAR22XvUkSFT0hJ8-kSbvwGDWtVBqZJx2zOBkx8NdfL-HP-3h7ZdGo6D4AXM

Does anyone know how many daily flights or weekly frequencies TK operated from IST S19?

TK787
Topic Author

Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm

IIRC, TK was up to 1500+ flights a day at IST.
In terms of frequencies, the graph says under 1000 weekly International frequencies planned in September 2020. Just to give you an idea, TK had 50 each freqs to TLV and LHR, 21 to JFK and probably 40 to FRA. I imagine 1000 frequencies a week is less than 1/3 of what it used to be.

canmau

Tue May 05, 2020 3:59 pm

TK787 wrote:
IIRC, TK was up to 1500+ flights a day at IST.
In terms of frequencies, the graph says under 1000 weekly International frequencies planned in September 2020. Just to give you an idea, TK had 50 each freqs to TLV and LHR, 21 to JFK and probably 40 to FRA. I imagine 1000 frequencies a week is less than 1/3 of what it used to be.

Wow, that is indeed huge! Thanks for the info! Surprised to not see LHR back in June...I have a friend that will likely have to move to the UK during that time, I guess they'd be routed via a connection with a partner airline?

OTTOMANAIR

Tue May 05, 2020 5:03 pm

I really hope TK and PC can get to their old schedule before the pandemic started. But I highly doubt this will be realized these coming months... I really hope I’m wrong.

LAXintl

Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 pm

With global travel demand down for the foreseeable future and unknown travel restrictions that will remain in place, the only prudent thing to do is a slow gradual build-up.

Even the restart plans TK is proposing will likely not be fully possible to implement as the health and travel situation in various markets will certainly differ than what is estimated today.

AirbusA343

Wed May 06, 2020 9:16 pm

I've already mentioned that Kiev will be getting a Dreamliner this summer. Now, starting May 28th, Almaty will be getting a 787 too.

767Forever

Thu May 07, 2020 10:56 am

I do find it surprising that the UK is not one of the countries TK is planning to fly in June. If you look at deaths per million, UK has lower numbers than Belgium and is not too far off from Netherlands or Sweden.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 12:17 pm

767Forever wrote:
I do find it surprising that the UK is not one of the countries TK is planning to fly in June. If you look at deaths per million, UK has lower numbers than Belgium and is not too far off from Netherlands or Sweden.

I just looked at a site and UK is one of top 5 countries in the world with deaths per million.
Maybe you were looking at "Total cases per million". On that list, UK is #19, below USA, Italy, Switzerland...
Like "LAXintl" said earlier, this is what TK is planning, it is a whole other story come June what is going to be the reality.

MeCe

Thu May 07, 2020 7:59 pm

TK will have some reparation flights to/from USA next week. This time JFK, ORD, IAH and MIA 14-15 MAY. Difference from previous flights, certain visa holders (A, E,G,H,I,J,K,L,O and R) will be allowed fly to USA.

LAXintl

Sat May 09, 2020 12:22 am

TAV says its signed agreement to purchase and operate Almaty International Airport in Kazakhstan for USD $415m.

https://www.intellinews.com/turkey-s-ta ... rt-182808/

United1

Sat May 09, 2020 12:42 am

TK787 wrote:
767Forever wrote:

I just looked at a site and UK is one of top 5 countries in the world with deaths per million.
Maybe you were looking at "Total cases per million". On that list, UK is #19, below USA, Italy, Switzerland...
Like "LAXintl" said earlier, this is what TK is planning, it is a whole other story come June what is going to be the reality.

The UK is talking about implementing a 14 day mandatory quarantine for all arriving travelers. That may be why it's not on TKs plan.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

peterinlisbon

Sat May 09, 2020 1:51 am

So has Ataturk airport become a single runway airport now? I agree that they didn't really need to do that, there are plenty of half-finished construction sites that they could have used. Every so often I hear a rumbling noise over Kadikoy and when I check on Flight Radar it is usually a 747 freighter taking off from there. It looks to me that, even despite them demolishing one or two of the runways, it is the busiest airport in Istanbul right now.

Blerg

Sat May 09, 2020 5:36 am

Are Turkish airports currently open for international flights? I see that JU plans on resuming BEG-IST from 01.06.

ugurberkin

Sat May 09, 2020 10:32 am

Blerg wrote:
Are Turkish airports currently open for international flights? I see that JU plans on resuming BEG-IST from 01.06.

As far as I know at the moment it is not open, but from 01.06 as Turkish Airlines starting international operations, other airlines will be allowed.

Blerg

Sat May 09, 2020 10:44 am

ugurberkin wrote:
Blerg wrote:

As far as I know at the moment it is not open, but from 01.06 as Turkish Airlines starting international operations, other airlines will be allowed.

Do you know which destinations they are restarting? Only biggest ones or all of them? I am especially curious to know when Pegasus and Turkish Airlines will restart Krasnodar?

767Forever

Sat May 09, 2020 11:37 am

My Turkish friend in London is desperate to go back to Turkey (Canakkale) ASAP. Does anyone know how this could be done?

Blerg

Sat May 09, 2020 12:13 pm

767Forever wrote:
My Turkish friend in London is desperate to go back to Turkey (Canakkale) ASAP. Does anyone know how this could be done?

Are there repatriation flights from the UK?

Another option is maybe to fly to Sofia and then reach Turkey by land?

767Forever

Sat May 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Blerg wrote:
767Forever wrote:

Are there repatriation flights from the UK?

Another option is maybe to fly to Sofia and then reach Turkey by land?

When I looked at Flightradar24, there seems to be some repatriation flights in the past, but she don’t know how to get on them. She tried reaching out to Turkish Embassy, Turkish Airlines, Turkish Department of Transportation, nobody seems to know anything.

I think all countries are pretty much closing their land borders, so driving in is not an option.

Is Turkey allowing chartered private planes in?

A321Lufthansa

Sat May 09, 2020 3:00 pm

Blerg wrote:
ugurberkin wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Do you know which destinations they are restarting? Only biggest ones or all of them? I am especially curious to know when Pegasus and Turkish Airlines will restart Krasnodar?

It all depends on situation in Russia and decision of local authorities. For example Aeroflot is now planning to restart its international operations on 01.08, though its press-secretary says that this can be moved to an earlier date if the situation will be better.
Last flown aircrafts: A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII < A320 OE-LBL < A320 OE-LBU < A319 OE-LDE < A320 OE-LBZ < A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA

Blerg

Sat May 09, 2020 3:03 pm

A321Lufthansa wrote:
Blerg wrote:
ugurberkin wrote:

It all depends on situation in Russia and decision of local authorities. For example Aeroflot is now planning to restart its international operations on 01.08, though its press-secretary says that this can be moved to an earlier date if the situation will be better.

Interesting, thank you. So does it mean all airports in Russia are shut down for international traffic?

A321Lufthansa

Sat May 09, 2020 3:05 pm

Blerg wrote:
A321Lufthansa wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Interesting, thank you. So does it mean all airports in Russia are shut down for international traffic?

Only cargo and repatriation flights are operated. International pier at DME and 3 of 4 international terminals at SVO are shut down completely.
Last flown aircrafts: A320 OE-LBO < A21N CS-TJO < A21N CS-TXC < E190 CS-TPQ < A319 F-GRXC < A321 F-GTAH < B738 SP-LWF < E175 SP-LII < A320 OE-LBL < A320 OE-LBU < A319 OE-LDE < A320 OE-LBZ < A320 D-AIPL < A319 D-AIBA

canmau

Sat May 09, 2020 10:49 pm

767Forever wrote:

Don't know until June, but in June, a flight with Lufthansa to Frankfurt or Munich or Eurowings to Düsseldorf on the same day TK operates a FRA/MUC/DUS - IST flight is probably their best bet. Or KLM via AMS could also work? That being said we don't know for sure what'll be operating then

LAXintl

Sat May 09, 2020 11:34 pm

Blerg wrote:
ugurberkin wrote:
Blerg wrote:

See Reply 26 link.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos