Sun May 10, 2020 7:43 pm

Qatar Airways Istanbul operations:

05JUN20 – 30JUN20 1 daily 777-300ER
eff 01JUL20 2 daily 777-300ER

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... spensions/

marcogr12

Re: Turkish Aviation May 2020

Sun May 10, 2020 9:18 pm

Turkey is still under lockdown and infection rates are high..I think it's a little hasty on QR's part to be using a 77W so soon...They could have started with an A320/21 and gradually move to sth. bigger if demand is there
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

B747forever

Sun May 10, 2020 9:26 pm

Question for those that know how the situation is in Istanbul.

In mid June I have a LAX-IST-LAX trip booked, staying a week in Istanbul. Was supposed to go in March, then rescheduled it for April, and yet again for June.

How likely is it that things will be open in Istanbul and that the flight will be operated? Have an option to reschedule it to the first week of August, but would rather go in June as August can be a little too hot.
Work Hard, Fly Right

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 1:05 am

B747forever wrote:

In mid June I have a LAX-IST-LAX trip booked, staying a week in Istanbul. Was supposed to go in March, then rescheduled it for April, and yet again for June.

How likely is it that things will be open in Istanbul and that the flight will be operated? Have an option to reschedule it to the first week of August, but would rather go in June as August can be a little too hot.

According to the latest schedule I've posted earlier, TK is not planning on flying to LAX until July and still that is not confirmed.
That would be the concern if you are flying TK, but as things are progressing most places will be open for business in Istanbul in June.
If August is too hot for you, I'd recommend early September.

B747forever

Mon May 11, 2020 2:47 am

TK787 wrote:
B747forever wrote:

According to the latest schedule I've posted earlier, TK is not planning on flying to LAX until July and still that is not confirmed.
That would be the concern if you are flying TK, but as things are progressing most places will be open for business in Istanbul in June.
If August is too hot for you, I'd recommend early September.

Thanks for the reply.

TK still sells ticket to Los Angeles starting May 28. So is it confirmed that there won't be any flights to LA in June? Regardless, it seems the safe bet is to postpone it until August. Living in LA, I am used to warm weather, and especially the hot summer days in the valley in August/September. How hot does it get in Istanbul, and is it a dry or humid heat? Looking to go the second week of August.
Work Hard, Fly Right

TK787
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 am

B747forever wrote:
So is it confirmed that there won't be any flights to LA in June? Regardless, it seems the safe bet is to postpone it until August. Living in LA, I am used to warm weather, and especially the hot summer days in the valley in August/September. How hot does it get in Istanbul, and is it a dry or humid heat? Looking to go the second week of August.

It is not confirmed that TK won't fly to LAX in June.
I am sure you will be fine coming from SoCal. There is always a cool breeze by the water in Istanbul but it is not dry. Most places have A.C.
Reminder.., August 1,2,3 is Eid-Al-Adha, one of the two big religious holidays where everything is closed but mid August should be fine.
By September, Istanbul families start returning to the city from the South for the beginning of school year and traffic gets heavier.
Bon Voyage :)

Blerg

Mon May 11, 2020 5:30 am

What is Turkey planning on doing regarding the summer season and its seaside resorts?

OA260

Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 am

Turkey sets out virus precautions, prepares for tourism comeback

MAY 10, 2020 5:22 PM

Turkey is establishing hygiene measures and requirements in preparation for the return of tourists, Culture and Tourism Minister Mehmet Nuri Ersoy said Sunday.

Step by step, people are to be gradually allowed to travel within the country starting at the end of May, Esroy told a CNN Türk live broadcast. In June, international flights will gradually recommence, he added.

The government has developed a certification program for hotels and restaurants which are to be subject to strict regulations, Esroy said. The program has 132 criteria, including ensuring that hygiene regulations are followed and social distancing is practiced. Staff members are also to be trained in measures to prevent the spread of infection.

http://www.dailysabah.com/business/tour ... meback/amp

Coronavirus: Turkey unveils plan to revive tourism with health and hygiene certificates
With safety measures and certificates of health, Turkey hopes to reassure travellers worried about Covid-19

Turkey has unveiled a plan to revive tourism by giving travellers, resorts and employees seals of approval in a programme meant to jumpstart a crucial industry hit hard by the coronavirus pandemic.

Turkey’s tourism minister on Sunday announced a certification scheme that will grant resorts and workers the right to operate in the coming summer season

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe ... 1.html?amp

B747forever

Tue May 12, 2020 4:48 am

TK787 wrote:
B747forever wrote:
So is it confirmed that there won't be any flights to LA in June? Regardless, it seems the safe bet is to postpone it until August. Living in LA, I am used to warm weather, and especially the hot summer days in the valley in August/September. How hot does it get in Istanbul, and is it a dry or humid heat? Looking to go the second week of August.

It is not confirmed that TK won't fly to LAX in June.
I am sure you will be fine coming from SoCal. There is always a cool breeze by the water in Istanbul but it is not dry. Most places have A.C.
Reminder.., August 1,2,3 is Eid-Al-Adha, one of the two big religious holidays where everything is closed but mid August should be fine.
By September, Istanbul families start returning to the city from the South for the beginning of school year and traffic gets heavier.
Bon Voyage :)

Thanks for the insights. Looking forward to visiting Istanbul again!
Work Hard, Fly Right

LAXintl

Tue May 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Pegasus began its cargo services using A321Neo.

The initial two routes are Dubai and Moscow. Will expand further markets from its Antalya, Istanbul and Izmir bases.

https://bit.ly/3csozje
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

mafaky

Thu May 14, 2020 7:11 am

OnurAir is to start daily cargo operations between IST and JFK, starting from 18th May. Currently, flight schedule is planned until 28th, but most likely continue. An Airbus 333 (TC-OCS) and 332 (TC-OCV)
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu May 14, 2020 1:47 pm

mafaky wrote:
OnurAir is to start daily cargo operations between IST and JFK, starting from 18th May. Currently, flight schedule is planned until 28th, but most likely continue. An Airbus 333 (TC-OCS) and 332 (TC-OCV)

Fuel is cheap, why not.
I am still looking at airfares between New York and IST and TK so far still has 3 x daily to JFK and 1 x daily to EWR this summer.
Let's see how it develops come July/August.
If TK to fly 4 times daily to NY area (plus the Cargo flights), not sure Onur flights will continue.

TK787
Topic Author

Thu May 14, 2020 10:04 pm

Here's TK's 13th 787-9, TC-LLM. Still, #12 and #13 might get delivered this month:
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18327b.htm

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 12:28 pm

This is such a sad photo; shoes, cabin luggage from; now bankrupt AtlasGlobal airline is for sale on the streets of Istanbul:
https://www.airporthaber.com/havacilik- ... rildi.html

firiko

Fri May 15, 2020 4:20 pm

767Forever wrote:
My Turkish friend in London is desperate to go back to Turkey (Canakkale) ASAP. Does anyone know how this could be done?

Calling help line and registering her name could help

below is the emergency help line number .

Nöbetçi / Acil Durum Telefonu
+44 74 23 83 95 77

she will be notified first when there is a flight

LAXintl

Fri May 15, 2020 9:07 pm

Pegasus released its Q1 earnings. Showed a net loss of EUR€49 million on sales of €287 million.

http://www.pegasusinvestorrelations.com ... sentations

mafaky

Fri May 15, 2020 10:09 pm

TK787 wrote:
Here's TK's 13th 787-9, TC-LLM. Still, #12 and #13 might get delivered this month:

According to planespotters.net, TC-LLM is the 12th Dreamliner for TK. That in-between frame, the TC-LLL, is not even mentioned as a near-future order.

Any info on this issue? :?: :?: :?:
A veteran Electronics & Communications Engineer from Istanbul-Turkey, highly interested in civil and military aviation.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 11:31 pm

Few months ago someone was asking about TC-JMM and TC-JMN. According to a document dated May9th, both are still in the fleet.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 15, 2020 11:41 pm

mafaky wrote:
TK787 wrote:

According to planespotters.net, TC-LLM is the 12th Dreamliner for TK. That in-between frame, the TC-LLL, is not even mentioned as a near-future order.

Any info on this issue? :?: :?: :?:

Here is a picture of TC-LLL, line number 1001 from April 20th. It's roll out date was March12.
TC-LLM is #13, line no 1007, it's roll out date was May1st.
http://www.paineairport.com/kpae18268d.htm

TKflyer

Sat May 16, 2020 3:49 am

TK787 wrote:
Few months ago someone was asking about TC-JMM and TC-JMN. According to a document dated May9th, both are still in the fleet.

TC–JMN is stored in all White livery in ISL and is already alloceted for Onur Air as TC–OEG

TK787
Topic Author

Sat May 16, 2020 2:34 pm

TKflyer wrote:
TK787 wrote:

TC–JMN is stored in all White livery in ISL and is already alloceted for Onur Air as TC–OEG

Thanks, do you have a source for this info?

OA260

Sat May 16, 2020 9:32 pm

You cant fly but you can get your patriotic boarding pass .

https://tarihiyolculuk.com/

mafaky

Sun May 17, 2020 8:11 am

TK787 wrote:
TKflyer wrote:
TK787 wrote:

Thanks, do you have a source for this info?

planspotters.net already indicates TC-JMN as "due to be delivered" to OnurAir s TC-OEG. Most likely, OnurAir postponed that delivery due to Covid-19 pandemic issues.

TK787
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2020 12:06 pm

mafaky wrote:
planspotters.net already indicates TC-JMN as "due to be delivered" to OnurAir s TC-OEG. Most likely, OnurAir postponed that delivery due to Covid-19 pandemic issues.

Thanks mafaky, Just saw that on planespotters. Let's see what happens, if Onur actually ends up with it.

Alacatili

Mon May 18, 2020 2:56 pm

ugurberkin wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Are Turkish airports currently open for international flights? I see that JU plans on resuming BEG-IST from 01.06.

As far as I know at the moment it is not open, but from 01.06 as Turkish Airlines starting international operations, other airlines will be allowed.

Hi Everyone,
Do we know what the THY June international timetable is going to look like.
So far old timetable is still in use and tickets sold.

mict

Tue May 19, 2020 4:01 pm

Alacatili wrote:
ugurberkin wrote:
Blerg wrote:
Are Turkish airports currently open for international flights? I see that JU plans on resuming BEG-IST from 01.06.

As far as I know at the moment it is not open, but from 01.06 as Turkish Airlines starting international operations, other airlines will be allowed.

Hi Everyone,
Do we know what the THY June international timetable is going to look like.
So far old timetable is still in use and tickets sold.

Wondering the same, is it realistic that there will be a flight to the US in August?

OTTOMANAIR

Wed May 20, 2020 8:45 am

Everyday I’m reading news about airlines who are laying off employees. A couple of months ago, the TK chairman said that they were not going to lay off employees. Are they still planning to keep all their employees? I mean it would be strange to see if TK was the only airline who is not laying off employees in a crisis.

mafaky

Wed May 20, 2020 9:45 am

OTTOMANAIR wrote:
Everyday I’m reading news about airlines who are laying off employees. A couple of months ago, the TK chairman said that they were not going to lay off employees. Are they still planning to keep all their employees? I mean it would be strange to see if TK was the only airline who is not laying off employees in a crisis.

That remains as a mostly "diplomatic" announcement to keep employees calm for a period of time...

To start with, there are at least a few thousand THY employees, employed at the request (or rather, by the "order") of the Government who actually are not involved in any process of civil aviation. Some do not even come to work but receive their paychecks at the end of the month.

Therefore it is inevitable that some amount of lay-offs will happen at TK. Hopefully these cannibals will be laid off, first.

Second, it will be inevitable that TK will also scrap part of its current fleet... (Old frames, operational leases, etc.) Clock is tickling, only TK Management is keeping a low profile and keep their lips sealed as far as possible. :evil: :banghead:

Blerg

Wed May 20, 2020 9:56 am

Today I read that Greece will open its border for tourists starting from 15.06. Has Turkey made a decision on when its own holiday season can start?

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 11:28 am

Pegasus moves its domestic flight restart another week to June 3rd from May 28th. Let's see if TK follows this news.

767Forever

Wed May 20, 2020 12:03 pm

Someone told me sozcu.com.tr has just reported Turkey is cancelling the requirement of quarantine for Turkish citizens returning back to the country. Can anyone translate this report? What does this mean to airliners' plans? will Turkey be allowing foreign visitors soon?

OA260

Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Turkish, Greek tourism ministers discuss joint efforts to promote Aegean Sea

The tourism ministers of Turkey and Greece have discussed possible joint efforts to promote the Aegean Sea as a holiday destination at a time when the coronavirus hits the tourism industry globally.

Turkey’s Tourism Minister Mehmet Nuri Ersoy on May 20 held a telephone conversation with his Greek counterpart Haris Theoharis to exchange views on how to promote the Aegean region to lure tourists.

The ministers reckoned that in the short to medium-term potential holidaymakers, particularly those in European countries, are not likely to travel to distant locations for vacation but they will rather choose places in closer proximity.

Based on this assessment, the minister discussed possibilities of promoting the Aegean Sea as a “safe holiday destination,” the Turkish Tourism Ministry said in a statement.

The ministers also stressed that the number of coronavirus cases in both countries are falling and travel restrictions may be eased, and border gates could reopen in June.

During the telephone conversation Ersoy and his Greek counterpart weighed the prospects of joint efforts to promote the Aegean Sea to seize those opportunities, according to the statement.

www.hurriyetdailynews.com/turkish-greek ... sea-154924

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 1:48 pm

767Forever wrote:
Someone told me sozcu.com.tr has just reported Turkey is cancelling the requirement of quarantine for Turkish citizens returning back to the country. Can anyone translate this report? What does this mean to airliners' plans? will Turkey be allowing foreign visitors soon?

Correct.
According to the news today, Turkish nationals returning back to Turkey will only have to self-quarantine at home for 14 days. The ones already in quarantine in government locations all be given permission to leave on May 23rd, after taking tests.
Does not say anything about airliners' plans or foreign visitors.

TK787
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 7:29 pm

TK787 wrote:
Pegasus moves its domestic flight restart another week to June 3rd from May 28th. Let's see if TK follows this news.

Yes, TK follows... June4 for Domestic flights, June10 for International.

qf789

Fri May 22, 2020 3:21 pm

Turkish Airlines 789 TC-LLM arriving back at PAE after a test flight with RAT deployed (19 May)

https://twitter.com/KPAE_Spotter/status ... 57664?s=20
Forum Moderator

Duartelmatos

Fri May 22, 2020 11:57 pm

Could anyone explain me why TK has such low operating costs? They usually have very low fares on their flights.

mict

Sat May 23, 2020 1:02 am

Duartelmatos wrote:
Could anyone explain me why TK has such low operating costs? They usually have very low fares on their flights.

I think one of the thing that really helps is that the majority of their income is in foreign currencies like USD/EUR and most of their expenses in Turkish Lira. (I don't have the exact numbers on hand but they release this data as part of their financial reports.) With the course of the Turkish Lira over the past years + the lower labor cost in Turkey vs the EU/US, this is a considerable advantage.
They also have a big geographical advantage vs the ME3 airlines where they can cover all of Europe using narrow-body aircraft with lower operating cost.

Of course there are many other things that come into play.

qf789

Sat May 23, 2020 4:12 am

Turkish Airlines 789 TC-LLM on a test flight AT PAE (13 May)

https://twitter.com/JenSchuld/status/12 ... 95777?s=20
Forum Moderator

TKflyer

Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 am

What is the current status of the TC–MCT Boeing 747–412F operated by ACT Airlines onbehalf of Saudia Cargo? Is this another w/o? To rebember, getting a tailstrike on departure from Dammam and diverted to Jeddah, 01/02/2020.
I‘m asking cause, Turkish Cargo will get another wet–leased Boeing 747–400F from ACT Airlines, a third one, next to TC–ACM and TC–ACR. Both are Operating for TK in ACT Airlines colors

MoonC

Mon May 25, 2020 6:10 pm

The first 2 A359s of TK seen on the flightline in TLS.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aircrafts/49935452797

LAXintl

Tue May 26, 2020 4:59 pm

First El Al flight to Turkey in 10-years operated to Istanbul for relief supplies.

OA260

Tue May 26, 2020 5:23 pm

Just to elaborate on the story :

EL AL plane lands in Turkey to collect coronavirus aid for US

El Al's Dreamliner aircraft, which was converted to be able to carry cargo, landed in Istanbul on Sunday and took 24 tons of humanitarian equipment for the fight against the coronavirus

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/el-al-p ... 629099/amp

OA260

Wed May 27, 2020 11:19 am

Turkish Airlines may delay delivery of Airbus, Boeing planes: report

Turkish Airlines (THYAO.IS), which halted nearly all of its passenger flights as a result of the coronavirus crisis, may delay the delivery of some Boeing (BA.N) and Airbus (AIR.PA) planes, its chairman was quoted as saying on Wednesday.

The carrier plans to begin some domestic flights on June 4 and some international flights on June 10 as airlines worldwide try to get planes flying again after a global travel slump.

But Turkish Airlines chairman Ilker Ayci said in an interview with Turkey's Hurriyet newspaper that the impact of the coronavirus could last up to five years and that it would take a while to reach 2019 load factor levels.

www.reuters.com/article/us-turkishairli ... SKBN23313I

No free food or drink on Domestics and International under 2 hours !

amrabari

Wed May 27, 2020 7:50 pm

mict wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:

I think one of the thing that really helps is that the majority of their income is in foreign currencies like USD/EUR and most of their expenses in Turkish Lira. (I don't have the exact numbers on hand but they release this data as part of their financial reports.) With the course of the Turkish Lira over the past years + the lower labor cost in Turkey vs the EU/US, this is a considerable advantage.
They also have a big geographical advantage vs the ME3 airlines where they can cover all of Europe using narrow-body aircraft with lower operating cost.

Of course there are many other things that come into play.

that's a valued point, especially with the narrow-body aircraft with lower operating cost and many routes around 3 hours flight from Istanbul, also they manage to operate 2 or 3 different time options in the same day for many destinations and routes, so as a traveler i have more options to chose what time to travel.

i took many flights on TK and most of the flights is almost full ...

OTTOMANAIR

Thu May 28, 2020 9:14 pm

Turkish Airlines will start Konya and Kayseri operations starting June 19 from Amsterdam. Ankara, Trabzon, Elazig, Adana and Izmir will be added in July. All flights will be twice weekly. Now bookable.

Blerg

Fri May 29, 2020 5:01 am

What's the rationale behind those flights? Could it be that TK is launching them now in order to secure slots at congested AMS? That's 12 weekly flights they could use later on to further boost their presence on IST-AMS.

mafaky

Fri May 29, 2020 9:47 am

Blerg wrote:
What's the rationale behind those flights? Could it be that TK is launching them now in order to secure slots at congested AMS? That's 12 weekly flights they could use later on to further boost their presence on IST-AMS.

One reason may be the one you have mentioned and the other reason may be (IMHO: definitely is) they want to minimise the transfers at bigger and relatively congested airports such as IST. Although IST Terminal is huge, it will not be that huge with all those Covid-19 measures like social distancing, additional security measures, longer time taking check-in procedures (no hand carries, these will also become checked-in baggage), longer stays once inside the terminal once pax board the planes, etc. Well, of course the overall number of flights will also be quite limited in number for June, somehow bigger number in July & August but they will never reach the usual summer timetable frequencies previously planned for S20. But still IST's Terminal will be pretty congested.

Besides ex-pats who will be travelling to Turkey for their summer vacations are now more and more demanding direct flights, for shorter travel time and comfort. Imagine the additional inconveniences due to Covid-19 measures! So I do expect more direct flights to these Anatolian towns from German airports (such as Cologne, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Berlin and perhaps Munich...), where there are higher populations of Turkish ex-pats, for July, August & September. TK couldn't probably announce such flights, because German authorities are still (so far) reluctant to give a green light for flights to and from Turkey.

factsonly

Fri May 29, 2020 10:14 am

Blerg wrote:

First of all, the Turkish market demands it. There are many families in the Netherlands with close ties to the Turkish regions and airlines have always offered plenty of summer connections.
Traditionally TK always operated peak summer seasonal flights to meet AMS-Regional Turkey demand, but recently TK focused on hub-building: less seasonal, higher yield IST/SAW-AMS.
Now that AMS is NOT slot restricted in S20, and TK needs to fly its aircraft, re-entering the regional TK-EU market is a way to increase aircraft utilization in a ready and available market.
Also the bankruptcy of Atlas Global and problems at other carriers, may make this a relatively simple step.
I would not be surprised if TK decides to also allocate some of its excess aircraft capacity to TK Regions for BRU and certain German destinations.

As a side note: In the 1980's even KLM operated seasonal DC8-63 family-reunion charter flights from AMS to Turkish regional airports.

OTTOMANAIR

Fri May 29, 2020 11:57 am

I know that a lot of passengers are connecting through Istanbul to Adana, Kayseri, Konya, Ankara and Elazig. Especially on the late-evening flight TK1956 there is a lot of domestic transfers. These routes will be operated until mid September. I wonder if these routes will be returning in S21...

Blerg wrote:

I know that TK wants to open a 5th daily route from IST to AMS, but due to the slot congestion at AMS that wasn't possible for a long time. Let's see what TK will do now the demand for air travel and flights will be a lot lower than pre-Covid era.

TK787
Topic Author

Fri May 29, 2020 8:22 pm

TK to fly a Domestic passenger flight, in the hopes to get back to the new normal; on Monday June 1st between IST-ESB.
It seems like some parts of the economy is opening up and few curfews are lifted on that day.
Good Luck and Bon Voyage to all.