Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
NZ516
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 28, 2020 11:18 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/121655635/coronavirus-air-nzs-777200er-fleet-may-never-fly-again-due-to-the-impact-of-covid19

Looks like there's a fair chance the B777-200ERs will never carry another passenger.


Very sad they must have crunched the numbers and the costs to convert them to freighters didn't make financial sense in such a depressed market. I expect they will be scrapped early now.
 
NZ516
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Thu May 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Air New Zealand grounds 777s and defers A321neo deliveries

Air New Zealand (ANZ) will ground its Boeing 777-200ER and 777-300ER fleets until at least the end of this year as part of organisation-wide cost-cutting measures.

Including deferrals of planned Airbus A321neo deliveries, the airline has also deferred or cancelled almost NZ$700 million ($430 million) of expected capital expenditure to December 2022, it said today in an earnings update.

Cirium fleets data shows that ANZ’s existing fleet includes seven in-service 777-300ERs, between six and 10 years of age, and eight 777-200ERs, which are 13 to 15 years old and in storage.

The carrier also has seven in-service and stored A321neos, and another seven A321neos scheduled for delivery between January 2022 and April 2024.

more story:
https://www.flightglobal.com/air-new-ze ... oFAEogWnBw

Looking like a big financial loss for the year ending 30 June 20. Air NZ is doing its best to fight for it's survival with many elements underway together reducing forward spending and delaying future deliveries there is a graph on the flight global story. Perhaps the 7 leased 777s will go soon and the owned ones stored in Alice Springs to be out of the wet NZ winter many will not return.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3892
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 29, 2020 12:57 am

NZ516 wrote:
Looking like a big financial loss for the year ending 30 June 20. Air NZ is doing its best to fight for it's survival with many elements underway together reducing forward spending and delaying future deliveries there is a graph on the flight global story. Perhaps the 7 leased 777s will go soon and the owned ones stored in Alice Springs to be out of the wet NZ winter many will not return.


Don’t think the 77E’s are moving for a long time, yesterday OKH was getting ready for long term storage at AKL (wrapped and drained). If they planned on sending them to ASP I don’t think they would be going to the effort they are now to store them.

The 77W’s are only grounded from passenger service, they are still operating them as freight only services.
 
bonzolab
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:38 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 29, 2020 3:23 am

772s might be a good replacement for RNZAF 75s? Huge increase in range/payload from current aircraft if that ever happened. There's 4 sitting on the Antarctic apron in Chch...
 
zkncj
Posts: 3892
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 29, 2020 5:35 am

Anyone know what is up with some of NZ's WLG domestic flights using the International terminal at the moment? my WLG-AKL flight tonight has been shifted to an International gate, even though there are no other domestic flights going out at the same time.
 
User avatar
77west
Posts: 971
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:52 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 29, 2020 5:50 am

bonzolab wrote:
772s might be a good replacement for RNZAF 75s? Huge increase in range/payload from current aircraft if that ever happened. There's 4 sitting on the Antarctic apron in Chch...


May be a bit too big. A 767 may have made some sense, but the 772 won't fit into many of the smaller airports the 757s have been to like Hamilton etc.

An A321NEOXLRULR may make more sense to benefit from AirNZ engineering resources
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W
 
jimmyah
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:53 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Fri May 29, 2020 7:44 am

77west wrote:
bonzolab wrote:
772s might be a good replacement for RNZAF 75s? Huge increase in range/payload from current aircraft if that ever happened. There's 4 sitting on the Antarctic apron in Chch...


May be a bit too big. A 767 may have made some sense, but the 772 won't fit into many of the smaller airports the 757s have been to like Hamilton etc.

An A321NEOXLRULR may make more sense to benefit from AirNZ engineering resources


757 is the largest that can make it into Base Woodbourne (BHE) as well.
 
backfiah
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat May 04, 2019 1:52 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 2:55 am

Looks like the wellywood LAX-WLG flight is due in tomorrow morning: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz1946
 
zkncj
Posts: 3892
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 3:58 am

backfiah wrote:
Looks like the wellywood LAX-WLG flight is due in tomorrow morning: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz1946


I sure hope the studio is paying for the 14 day managed isolation costs for all crew being brought into the country?

Hopefully there are not cases onboard, since we now only have an single active case.
 
NZ516
Posts: 460
Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:21 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 5:29 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Looking like a big financial loss for the year ending 30 June 20. Air NZ is doing its best to fight for it's survival with many elements underway together reducing forward spending and delaying future deliveries there is a graph on the flight global story. Perhaps the 7 leased 777s will go soon and the owned ones stored in Alice Springs to be out of the wet NZ winter many will not return.


Don’t think the 77E’s are moving for a long time, yesterday OKH was getting ready for long term storage at AKL (wrapped and drained). If they planned on sending them to ASP I don’t think they would be going to the effort they are now to store them.

The 77W’s are only grounded from passenger service, they are still operating them as freight only services.


A colleague of mine met with the engineers today who was firing up the engines of a 777 stored in Christchurch to give them a check. He told him that they definitely are going out to the desert.
 
wstakl
Posts: 238
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:51 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 5:34 am

Are NZ doing cargo flights to NRT? Watching a livestream at Narita and can see a NZ tail at the terminal.
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2953
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 5:42 am

wstakl wrote:
Are NZ doing cargo flights to NRT? Watching a livestream at Narita and can see a NZ tail at the terminal.


Yes: https://mobile.twitter.com/FlyAirNZ/sta ... 1798667264
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 4529
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 6:04 pm

jimmyah wrote:
77west wrote:
bonzolab wrote:
772s might be a good replacement for RNZAF 75s? Huge increase in range/payload from current aircraft if that ever happened. There's 4 sitting on the Antarctic apron in Chch...


May be a bit too big. A 767 may have made some sense, but the 772 won't fit into many of the smaller airports the 757s have been to like Hamilton etc.

An A321NEOXLRULR may make more sense to benefit from AirNZ engineering resources


757 is the largest that can make it into Base Woodbourne (BHE) as well.

HLZ should be ok with a light load.
BHE on the other hand would be a no go for the 77E. Not the end of the world. With how cheap the 77E are now you could have 2 of them and get an A320 for smaller ops.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.
 
bevan7
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:44 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 7:10 pm

zkncj wrote:
backfiah wrote:
Looks like the wellywood LAX-WLG flight is due in tomorrow morning: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz1946


I sure hope the studio is paying for the 14 day managed isolation costs for all crew being brought into the country?

Hopefully there are not cases onboard, since we now only have an single active case.


What's this flight for? Who is on it? I see there's another secheduled for today
 
bevan7
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:44 am

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sat May 30, 2020 11:54 pm

bevan7 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
backfiah wrote:
Looks like the wellywood LAX-WLG flight is due in tomorrow morning: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/nz1946


I sure hope the studio is paying for the 14 day managed isolation costs for all crew being brought into the country?

Hopefully there are not cases onboard, since we now only have an single active case.


What's this flight for? Who is on it? I see there's another secheduled for today


Guess I found my answer https://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/n ... ht-from-la
 
zkncj
Posts: 3892
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 1:39 am

Zkpilot wrote:
jimmyah wrote:
77west wrote:

May be a bit too big. A 767 may have made some sense, but the 772 won't fit into many of the smaller airports the 757s have been to like Hamilton etc.

An A321NEOXLRULR may make more sense to benefit from AirNZ engineering resources


757 is the largest that can make it into Base Woodbourne (BHE) as well.

HLZ should be ok with a light load.
BHE on the other hand would be a no go for the 77E. Not the end of the world. With how cheap the 77E are now you could have 2 of them and get an A320 for smaller ops.


Think all of the old owned a320CEO’s are now gone? A couple would of been an good buy for the RNZAF.

Although with them getting Boeing P8’s, some 738 converted into combis might be better ops wise.
 
User avatar
Zkpilot
Posts: 4529
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:21 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 10:52 am

zkncj wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
jimmyah wrote:

757 is the largest that can make it into Base Woodbourne (BHE) as well.

HLZ should be ok with a light load.
BHE on the other hand would be a no go for the 77E. Not the end of the world. With how cheap the 77E are now you could have 2 of them and get an A320 for smaller ops.


Think all of the old owned a320CEO’s are now gone? A couple would of been an good buy for the RNZAF.

Although with them getting Boeing P8’s, some 738 converted into combis might be better ops wise.

Some of the older domestic only A320s were due to be replaced soon too. 738 might make more sense both commonality with P-8 and also some with 757/(777). I gues VA might be ditching a bunch of them soon!
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11137
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - May 2020

Sun May 31, 2020 12:08 pm

Please continue discussion in New Zealand Aviation Thread - June 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446985
Forum Moderator

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 777Mech, Baidu [Spider], bar1, BW985, Captaindoony, cy319, f18raider, Google [Bot], Guillaume787, Haemoglobin, KPDX, N649DL, n757kw, Okcflyer, smh747, Speedbird96, tu204, VS11, Waldo, WollardTC888 and 227 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos