Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 4:16 pm

Hi all,

I posted my latest installment on the history of JFK. This one is about the Northeast/Braniff/Northwest terminal (November 1962), which completed the original Terminal City Master Plan. It also deals with the other facilities (maintenance, cargo) and how critics and the public reacted to Terminal City. It contains a few nice aerial shots!

You can find it here: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-6.html

You can find the previous articles below:

- Part 1: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-1.html, about the planning of Idlewild:
- Part 2: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-2.html, deals with the opening and early years of operation;
- Part 3: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-3.html, focuses on International Arrivals Building and dawn of the Jet-Age;
- Part 4: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-4.html, about the first airline terminals, those of UA, DL, EA and AA; and
- Part 5: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-5.html, regarding the design of the PA and Pan Am Terminals.

In the coming two weeks, I'll be upping two more parts:

- Part 7, which will deal with the expansion of Terminal City with the BOAC terminal and the Sundrome, as well as schemes to build runways in Jamaica Bay; and
- Part 8, about the expansion of the IAB, TWA Flight Center, Pan Am Worldport and other expansion projects.

And that will bring the story up to 1973! :-) In May, I will also revamp Parts 1-5 with improved images (transfer to new site had some glitches) as well as many additional ones.

I won't post all the updates here on A.net. If you're interested in the history of the world's great airports you can sign up for the newsletter on the front page. It goes out once a month or so, so no spamming!

Btw, some important JFK anniversaries in May:

- Opening AA terminal: May 10, 1960
- Opening PA terminal: May 24, 1960

But also:

- Opening new Terminal 4: May 1, 2001
- Opening new Terminal 1: May 14, 1998
- Opening TWA Hotel: May 15, 2019
- Last operations at the PA Worldport: May 23, 2013
- Opening TWA Flight Center: May 28, 1962

sspontak

Re: IMAGES: Completion of JFK's "Terminal City" in 1962

Fri May 01, 2020 4:57 pm

There is not much information out there regarding this final terminal in the "Terminal City" project. My first flight as an eleven year old boy was out of this terminal in 1976. It was on a Delta 727-200 to Miami. In looking at your photos, and back to then in 1976 and flying out of this terminal as recently as Jan 2020, it is interesting to see that this terminal has changed very little. This is actually a good thing because the best part of this terminal was the simplicity which even today is very welcome.

Thanks for updating us with your latest installment of this final JFK "Terminal City" installment. I look forward to going through all of the installments you posted.

e38

Fri May 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Max, I think your series is magnificent. Thank you very much for posting these.
I have a question about JFK airport.
In one of the overview photos of JFK, the one where the caption begins, " October 1962 sweeping aerial view of Terminal City . . . " in the foreground, between the TWA terminal and the American terminal, in the location where future Terminals 6 and 7 would be, there is a series of buildings with which I'm not familiar.
Beginning with the TWA terminal, there appears to be a "temporary" concourse with a Constellation parked at the end. This concourse is connected to the TWA terminal but also branches off toward the northwest where there seem to be two more small terminals, a temporary concourse with four parking stands (note the two four-engine jet aircraft--707s or DC8s perhaps), then another terminal building with a curved concourse (three propeller aircraft) and finally there is a large "U" shaped building with a Constellation and another 4-engine jet aircraft parked outside as well as a few smaller aircraft adjacent to the Constellation. The building closest to the TWA terminal even seems to have a small "tower" above the building.
Once Terminal City was considered "complete," what was this grouping of buildings used for, and by whom? Including the "U" shaped building, it looks like there are three additional terminals between the TWA terminal and the American terminal (a couple of them seem to have their own parking lots). Prior to the construction of the BOAC and National terminals I have seen this collection of building in various photos, but never knew what was their purpose or designation. It's quite a large complex of buildings with many aircraft parking spots! I assume the first temporary concourse attached to the TWA terminal was owned by TWA (where future Flight Wing One would be), but they must have deemed it appropriate to connect it to the other array of buildings. Interesting!
Thank you very much.

e38

Ryga

Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Never seen pictures of JFK like this before, brilliant articles. Thank you for sharing!
AA AM BA BM BY DP DY EK MH PG RJ TK U2 VS Y2 ZB Z2 5J 9W

738 752 762ER/3ER 77W 788/9
A319/20/21 A332/3
E190
ATR 72-600
Jetstream 32
CRJ200ER

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 5:38 pm

sspontak wrote:
There is not much information out there regarding this final terminal in the "Terminal City" project. My first flight as an eleven year old boy was out of this terminal in 1976. It was on a Delta 727-200 to Miami. In looking at your photos, and back to then in 1976 and flying out of this terminal as recently as Jan 2020, it is interesting to see that this terminal has changed very little. This is actually a good thing because the best part of this terminal was the simplicity which even today is very welcome.

Thanks for updating us with your latest installment of this final JFK "Terminal City" installment. I look forward to going through all of the installments you posted.

Happy you enjoyed! As an airport planner I know that the most lasting terminal designs are the ones that come closest be being a simple rectangular box, as functions inside can be relatively easily adjusted in order to deal with changing requirements.

e38 wrote:
Max, I think your series is magnificent. Thank you very much for posting these.
I have a question about JFK airport.
In one of the overview photos of JFK, the one where the caption begins, " October 1962 sweeping aerial view of Terminal City . . . " in the foreground, between the TWA terminal and the American terminal, in the location where future Terminals 6 and 7 would be, there is a series of buildings with which I'm not familiar.
Beginning with the TWA terminal, there appears to be a "temporary" concourse with a Constellation parked at the end. This concourse is connected to the TWA terminal but also branches off toward the northwest where there seem to be two more small terminals, a temporary concourse with four parking stands (note the two four-engine jet aircraft--707s or DC8s perhaps), then another terminal building with a curved concourse (three propeller aircraft) and finally there is a large "U" shaped building with a Constellation and another 4-engine jet aircraft parked outside as well as a few smaller aircraft adjacent to the Constellation. The building closest to the TWA terminal even seems to have a small "tower" above the building.
Once Terminal City was considered "complete," what was this grouping of buildings used for, and by whom? Including the "U" shaped building, it looks like there are three additional terminals between the TWA terminal and the American terminal (a couple of them seem to have their own parking lots). Prior to the construction of the BOAC and National terminals I have seen this collection of building in various photos, but never knew what was their purpose or designation. It's quite a large complex of buildings with many aircraft parking spots! I assume the first temporary concourse attached to the TWA terminal was owned by TWA (where future Flight Wing One would be), but they must have deemed it appropriate to connect it to the other array of buildings. Interesting!
Thank you very much.

e38

Hi, you're welcome! The buildings to the right of the TWA terminal is the so-called temporary terminal, which was gradually expanded during the 1950s. You can see plenty images of it in Parts 1 and 2 of the story. The "U" shaped building was a cargo building.

e38

Fri May 01, 2020 5:59 pm

got it. Thanks, Max.

e38

global2

Fri May 01, 2020 8:19 pm

I LOVE your website! Thank you for these posts. I wonder if any of your research about JFK includes the Tri-Faith chapels? They were architecturally distinctive and it's a shame they're gone.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 8:24 pm

global2 wrote:
I LOVE your website! Thank you for these posts. I wonder if any of your research about JFK includes the Tri-Faith chapels? They were architecturally distinctive and it's a shame they're gone.

Hi, I actually touch upon Tri-Faith Plaza in this chapter. Of course, those chapels are very interesting and you can write a great stand-alone story on them (and I might one day). For now however, I need to stay high-level. And even then it takes 8 chapters just to get to the early 1970s, lol! :-)
Last edited by airporthistory on Fri May 01, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

global2

Fri May 01, 2020 8:27 pm

I LOVE your website! Thank you for these posts. I wonder if any of your research about JFK includes more about the Tri-Faith chapels? They were architecturally distinctive and it's a shame they're gone. I wonder if there are any photos of the interiors.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 9:45 pm

global2 wrote:
I LOVE your website! Thank you for these posts. I wonder if any of your research about JFK includes more about the Tri-Faith chapels? They were architecturally distinctive and it's a shame they're gone. I wonder if there are any photos of the interiors.

Hi, it seems you edited your question and accidentally posted it twice? In any case, yes, I do have interior and exterior images of the chapels. Again, you gave me an idea. I might do a special on Tri-Faith Plaza at one point. Stay tuned!

jaybird

Fri May 01, 2020 10:28 pm

Great stuff! I remember flying to JFK in 1965 after the strike was over - I was 12. I flew BDL-JFK alone on TWA .. then went around to each of the terminals before flying back. I went counter-clockwise so the next building I got to was what I call "the hut" - National, Air Canada and Trans Caribbean were there (probably others too). That building I went through quickly because - it seemed like it was a cramped, crowded hut! But that was a great day. I made my way around to all the terminals and got back to the TWA terminal in time for my flight home. Back then - no one thought anything (or at least said anything to me) about a 12-yr old flying alone like that. Now - parents would be crazy to allow a 12yo unaccompanied. Of course then you could get out on the observation desks and smell the fuel and hear the motors. Was a great trip! Thanks for all the JFK posts and information!

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 10:38 pm

jaybird wrote:
Great stuff! I remember flying to JFK in 1965 after the strike was over - I was 12. I flew BDL-JFK alone on TWA .. then went around to each of the terminals before flying back. I went counter-clockwise so the next building I got to was what I call "the hut" - National, Air Canada and Trans Caribbean were there (probably others too). That building I went through quickly because - it seemed like it was a cramped, crowded hut! But that was a great day. I made my way around to all the terminals and got back to the TWA terminal in time for my flight home. Back then - no one thought anything (or at least said anything to me) about a 12-yr old flying alone like that. Now - parents would be crazy to allow a 12yo unaccompanied. Of course then you could get out on the observation desks and smell the fuel and hear the motors. Was a great trip! Thanks for all the JFK posts and information!

Great story!!! Happy you enjoy the articles.

I just saw I made a little typo in my first post. Part 5: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-5.html, deals with the design of the PA terminal and the TWA Flight Center.
Last edited by airporthistory on Fri May 01, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dominion301

Fri May 01, 2020 10:52 pm

Another great one Max. Thanks for sharing.

mga707

Fri May 01, 2020 10:53 pm

jaybird wrote:

If you're referring to 'The Great Airplane Strike', as Paul Revere and The Raiders dubbed it in their hit song, it occurred in the summer of 1966, not 1965.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
Another great one Max. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Andrew! Happy you liked it!

airlineAZ

Sat May 02, 2020 6:00 pm

Wonderful photo collection! Truly see that by the end of the early Terminal City, it really was like a World's Fair of architecture. Sadly, most of those terminals didn't stand the test of time. I wonder why the Northeast/Braniff/Northwest terminal lasted so long, and is still functional (compared to the others)?

airporthistory wrote:
Hi all,

I posted my latest installment on the history of JFK. This one is about the Northeast/Braniff/Northwest terminal (November 1962), which completed the original Terminal City Master Plan. It also deals with the other facilities (maintenance, cargo) and how critics and the public reacted to Terminal City. It contains a few nice aerial shots!

You can find it here: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-6.html

You can find the previous articles below:

- Part 1: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-1.html, about the planning of Idlewild:
- Part 2: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-2.html, deals with the opening and early years of operation;
- Part 3: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-3.html, focuses on International Arrivals Building and dawn of the Jet-Age;
- Part 4: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-4.html, about the first airline terminals, those of UA, DL, EA and AA; and
- Part 5: https://www.airporthistory.org/kennedy-5.html, regarding the design of the PA and Pan Am Terminals.

In the coming two weeks, I'll be upping two more parts:

- Part 7, which will deal with the expansion of Terminal City with the BOAC terminal and the Sundrome, as well as schemes to build runways in Jamaica Bay; and
- Part 8, about the expansion of the IAB, TWA Flight Center, Pan Am Worldport and other expansion projects.

And that will bring the story up to 1973! :-) In May, I will also revamp Parts 1-5 with improved images (transfer to new site had some glitches) as well as many additional ones.

I won't post all the updates here on A.net. If you're interested in the history of the world's great airports you can sign up for the newsletter on the front page. It goes out once a month or so, so no spamming!

Btw, some important JFK anniversaries in May:

- Opening AA terminal: May 10, 1960
- Opening PA terminal: May 24, 1960

But also:

- Opening new Terminal 4: May 1, 2001
- Opening new Terminal 1: May 14, 1998
- Opening TWA Hotel: May 15, 2019
- Last operations at the PA Worldport: May 23, 2013
- Opening TWA Flight Center: May 28, 1962

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 6:49 pm

airlineAZ wrote:
Wonderful photo collection! Truly see that by the end of the early Terminal City, it really was like a World's Fair of architecture. Sadly, most of those terminals didn't stand the test of time. I wonder why the Northeast/Braniff/Northwest terminal lasted so long, and is still functional (compared to the others)?

The best design for an airport terminal is a simple rectangular box, enabling you to change and move around things relatively easily as traffic grows and requirements change. Fancy shapes are nice to the eye, but from a functional point of view it sucks. The TWA Flight Center is the obvious example here.

incitatus

Sun May 03, 2020 1:22 am

airporthistory wrote:
The best design for an airport terminal is a simple rectangular box, enabling you to change and move around things relatively easily as traffic grows and requirements change. Fancy shapes are nice to the eye, but from a functional point of view it sucks. The TWA Flight Center is the obvious example here.

Your comment reminds me of my favorite terminal: Paris' CDG 1. It has been described as functional nightmare.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

jfklganyc

Sun May 03, 2020 2:09 am

Great addition!

As for T2: awful and ugly from the day it opened

Its most striking feature was/is its sky blue exterior

If you watched Mad Men, there was an episode where they were flying NW to Detroit.

I appreciated that they took the time to recreate the sky blue exterior on the set.

airporthistory
Topic Author

Sun May 03, 2020 4:00 pm

incitatus wrote:
airporthistory wrote:

Your comment reminds me of my favorite terminal: Paris' CDG 1. It has been described as functional nightmare.

As an airport lover and airport historian, I absolutely LOVE the airport planning experiments of the early Jet Age, such as the TWA Flight Center, The Pan Am terminal/Worldport and Aérogare 1 at CDG. As an airport planner however, my motto is: hail to the box! :-)

jsnww81

Mon May 04, 2020 12:20 am

Great addition! I'm looking forward to seeing the final chapters on the BOAC/National terminals, as well as the additions made to Pan Am, TWA, American and the IAB to handle widebodies. JFK history is a tough subject to tackle, because there's so much of it - well done!