Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeingphan
Topic Author

FAA investigating Harrison Ford after runway incident

Fri May 01, 2020 6:38 pm

Well looks like Harrison entered the runway without clearance. Safe to say he needs grounded for good.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/harrison-ford ... 05823.html
Last edited by qf789 on Sat May 02, 2020 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misleading title

WN732

Re: Harrison Ford grounded

Fri May 01, 2020 6:43 pm

If it was anyone else it would never make the news.

Gasman

Fri May 01, 2020 7:09 pm

Boeingphan wrote:
    Well looks like Harrison entered the runway without clearance. Safe to say he needs grounded for good.

He sounded tired and inattentive. There are countless pilots his age still competently flying; but based on that audio I'd say his path back to the cockpit won't be an easy one.

Boeingphan
    Topic Author

Fri May 01, 2020 7:14 pm

Gasman wrote:
      Boeingphan wrote:

He sounded tired and inattentive. There are countless pilots his age still competently flying; but based on that audio I'd say his path back to the cockpit won't be an easy one.

I would agree. You can barely make out what he is saying. Time to hang it up old man!

flyPIT

Fri May 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Here is a more comprehensive article:
      https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/celebrities/2020/04/29/Harrison-Ford-plane-runway-investigation-FAA-piloting-incident-crossed/stories/202004290160

Nowhere have I read that he is grounded. Listening to the recording it is clear his violation was not intentional. When considering the issue of "readback/hearback" it is clear the controller did not properly "hearback" so there might be some blame there too if they really press the issue. If Ford did an ASRS report then he will not be grounded.
      FLYi

ikramerica

Fri May 01, 2020 7:36 pm

Gasman wrote:
        Boeingphan wrote:

That’s how he does interviews and talk shows. It’s just his caustic/comedic personality. But he does it with an F-u smirk the whole time, except when he puts on a dead serious “how dare you” expression.
        Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jumpseat67

Fri May 01, 2020 7:43 pm

Maybe we can have the rebirth of Greedo and have another scene with Jabba?

Ziyulu

Fri May 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Didn't senator Jim Inhofe do something similar about 10 years ago and they only recommended he take some type of training?

deebee278

Fri May 01, 2020 8:14 pm

If I were the FAA, I'd let him keep his license but require him to have a "wingman' aka someone in the right seat. I expect that if his license isn't pulled after this, his insurance company will insist on it.

highflier92660

Fri May 01, 2020 8:23 pm

No one can deny Harrison Ford is a great ambassador for aviation. I detect many people trying to attribute this small incident an an earlier one where he landed on a parallel taxiway at SNA as "inattention" or "momentary confusion." Without putting a label on his mental faculties nearing age 78, perhaps it is time he continue flying with a CFI or check-pilot along for the ride.

scbriml

Fri May 01, 2020 8:29 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
        No one can deny Harrison Ford is a great ambassador for aviation.

:rotfl:

Actually, he’s the exact opposite.
        Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
        There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Rossiya747

Fri May 01, 2020 8:35 pm

Hm, he's getting old.
        223 319 320 321 332 333 346 388 734 737 738 739 38M 744 752 753 763 764 772 773 77W 788 789 208 CRJ2 E145 E190 UA DL AA WN AC CM 4O AV 2K FI DY D8 SK LH EI FR U2 IB OS LX BA VS BT PS MS SA SW QR EY HY AI 9W TG SQ MH AK D7 QZ BR NH CA QF MI LV/IB VY AL

GalaxyFlyer

Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 pm

deebee278 wrote:
        If I were the FAA, I'd let him keep his license but require him to have a "wingman' aka someone in the right seat. I expect that if his license isn't pulled after this, his insurance company will insist on it.

You do know that FAR has no such provision, I presume? The FAA tried removing Bob Hoover’s medical, an international furor resulted and the Australian CASA issued him a medical in defiance.

OA412

Fri May 01, 2020 9:24 pm

Just keep the thread on topic.
        Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

johns624

Fri May 01, 2020 9:49 pm

WN732 wrote:

Anybody else would've lost their license by now.

beechnut

Fri May 01, 2020 10:03 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
        You do know that FAR has no such provision, I presume?

I don't know the FAA regs, but in Canada you can definitely have a restriction on your licence to require having a safety pilot. I am diabetic, but but low-risk so I didn't have that restriction but higher risk diabetics can have annotation "Restricted with co-pilot or unfit" for a class 3 medical (private pilot). I've since let my licence lapse and sold my plane though. Retirement severely restricted my "play money" and $150 hamburgers were getting too expensive, not to mention not good for the diabetes! I now fly on a 16 lb carbon fibre road bike instead.

Beech
        Last edited by beechnut on Fri May 01, 2020 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

highflier92660

Fri May 01, 2020 10:07 pm

scbriml wrote:
        highflier92660 wrote:

Actually, he’s the exact opposite.

You can interpret what I wrote in a number of ways, but Harrison Ford has expended a considerable amount of time attempting to instill a love of aviation to future generations. The number of young people who yearn to burn holes in the sky are becoming fewer and fewer.

At what point a person reaches an age when his skills deteriorate to the point he should no-longer be pilot-in-command is always a difficult one to determine. Captain Arnold Palmer reached that conclusion on his own and voluntarily made his final flight aboard his Citation X from Palm Springs back to Orlando at age 81. https://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/fly-wir ... al-flight/

beechnut

Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
        At what point a person reaches an age when his skills deteriorate to the point he should no-longer be pilot-in-command is always a difficult one to determine. Captain Arnold Palmer reached that conclusion on his own and voluntarily made his final flight aboard his Citation X from Palm Springs back to Orlando at age 81. https://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/fly-wir ... al-flight/

I made the same determination at age 57. It's not that I didn't consider myself medically and mentally fit at that age, it's that forced early retirement meant that I could no longer afford to fly often enough to consider myself comfortably current so I had to make hard choices. It was a tough call, but myself and everyone else in the sky are safer for it. And... life goes on. There are plenty of fun things to do like travelling to Europe in a big bird with someone else doing the flying.

Plus the worst day retired is better than the best day working :D

Beech

DiamondFlyer

Fri May 01, 2020 10:59 pm

johns624 wrote:
        WN732 wrote:

Anybody else would've lost their license by now.

Again, no they would not have, as the FAA doesn't issue a license. They may have done a 709 ride, but assuming they passed, they would still have their certificate.
        From my cold, dead hands

barney captain

Sat May 02, 2020 12:41 am

Where is there any statement that Ford is "Grounded"? Mods, can we please correct the thread title?
        Southeast Of Disorder

LCDFlight

Re: FAA investigating Harrison Ford after runway incident

Sat May 02, 2020 2:10 am

For him to fly without a copilot is a large safety risk to all. He can easily afford a copilot. He is no longer competent solo. (I don't know how FAA pilot licenses work though).

MaksFly

Sat May 02, 2020 2:44 am

Harrison Ford AGAIN!?!?!?!!? Is this a new incident or just investigation of his previous near miss? (landing on the taxiway)

Gasman

Sat May 02, 2020 3:56 am

MaksFly wrote:
        Harrison Ford AGAIN!?!?!?!!? Is this a new incident or just investigation of his previous near miss? (landing on the taxiway)

He did his flight training with Air Canada, apparently.......

F9Animal

Sat May 02, 2020 4:42 am

I sure hope he doesn't get his wings clipped. He obviously loves to fly. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes of it. Maybe some refresher courses on ATC perhaps?
        I Am A Different Animal!!

alasizon

Sat May 02, 2020 5:25 am

If the readback does end up being the issue here, I don’t expect there to be any actual issues for Ford. The hearback on the controller's side is just as important as the readback by the pilot.
        Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

chicawgo

Sat May 02, 2020 6:25 am

alasizon wrote:
        If the readback does end up being the issue here, I don’t expect there to be any actual issues for Ford. The hearback on the controller's side is just as important as the readback by the pilot.

Are you saying that you believe that if a pilot misheard an atc instruction and read it back incorrectly without correction and it ended up causing a crash with fatalities, the pilot and atc should be 50/50 responsible?

Nomadd

Sat May 02, 2020 3:45 pm

flyPIT wrote:
        Here is a more comprehensive article:
        https://www.post-gazette.com/ae/celebrities/2020/04/29/Harrison-Ford-plane-runway-investigation-FAA-piloting-incident-crossed/stories/202004290160

Nowhere have I read that he is grounded. Listening to the recording it is clear his violation was not intentional. When considering the issue of "readback/hearback" it is clear the controller did not properly "hearback" so there might be some blame there too if they really press the issue. If Ford did an ASRS report then he will not be grounded.

He'll ground himself. He's not the type to evade responsibility.

hooverman

Sat May 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Not that Ford wasn’t at fault but the controller made a strange call by saying “continue hold short of the runway” which is a bit confusing with his mumbeling voice. It’s normally “hold short of the runway” or “continue to cross the runway”

IPFreely

Sat May 02, 2020 8:21 pm

highflier92660 wrote:

How, exactly, is Harrison Ford an ambassador for aviation? John Travolta is, or at least was, a great ambassador for aviation and aviation enthusiasm. Harrison Ford does nothing a great ambassador does. Nobody would even know he has a pilot's license if he didn't keep making the news for violating FAA regulations and/or ATC instructions.

iseeyyc

Sat May 02, 2020 8:25 pm

hooverman wrote:
        Not that Ford wasn’t at fault but the controller made a strange call by saying “continue hold short of the runway” which is a bit confusing with his mumbeling voice. It’s normally “hold short of the runway” or “continue to cross the runway”

"I'm gon' get you to go ahead and stop the vee-hick-ull"

Yeastbeast

Sat May 02, 2020 9:13 pm

IPFreely wrote:
        highflier92660 wrote:

How, exactly, is Harrison Ford an ambassador for aviation? John Travolta is, or at least was, a great ambassador for aviation and aviation enthusiasm. Harrison Ford does nothing a great ambassador does. Nobody would even know he has a pilot's license if he didn't keep making the news for violating FAA regulations and/or ATC instructions.

Well, here was one way: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Eagles
        Brewers make the wort, the yeast makes the beer.

Max Q

Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 pm

Hmm

The force may be fading

Time to hang it up or hire a professional pilot to fly with him, preferably airline

He’s done a lot of good in aviation but at the end of the day he’s another example in a decades long list of celebrities / wealthy individuals that have got themselves into trouble and / or killed themselves or others as they lack and cannot possess the single minded dedication and mandated adherence to currency and a high level of competency and the testing to verify it mandated by the FAA for airline pilots
        The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Gasman

Sat May 02, 2020 9:50 pm

Max Q wrote:
        he’s another example in a decades long list of celebrities / wealthy individuals that have got themselves into trouble and / or killed themselves or others as they lack and cannot possess the single minded dedication and mandated adherence to currency and a high level of competency and the testing to verify it mandated by the FAA for airline pilots

Very well put. I'm neither a celebrity or wealthy, but I have let my licence lapse because I have come to realise there is a gulf between what is required to be legal and what is required to be competent. And I no longer have the time or determination to stay at a level that I would deem competent.

Aaron747

Mon May 04, 2020 12:41 am

hooverman wrote:

True, but the sight of an aircraft on the field’s sole runway AND the controller just having said ‘traffic on the runway’ would hopefully establish enough situational awareness not to enter said runway.
        If you need someone to blame / throw a rock in the air / you'll hit someone guilty

Fitlikemin

Mon May 04, 2020 11:38 am

He needs to defer to his brown, hairy sidekick..........

kriskarch

Mon May 04, 2020 12:31 pm

They didn't put the ATC transmission into this video. He said "continue hold short", really carelessly, after Ford reported holding short. What kind of ATC use fraze CONTINUE hold short? Why even respoding to someone who reports holding short? I know that it's 100% Ford's fault, but in my opinion ATC could and should be more professional in this situation. You can listen to full conversation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU0BmAWtz5c

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos