Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Johnslayton
Topic Author

Delta 9982 low and slow over KHYR?

Fri May 01, 2020 8:00 pm

Delta 9982 was down to 3500 feet over KHYR area. This was very unusual to see. Does anyone know if this was emergency training or currency related for delta pilots? This is my first post on airliners.net so great to meet all of you.

cbphoto

Re: Delta 9982 low and slow over KHYR?

Sat May 02, 2020 12:51 am

It was a Maintenance flight. They have been doing a few of them out of MSP!
ETOPS: Engines Turning or Passengers Swimming

e38

Sat May 02, 2020 1:20 am

Johnslayton, while most of us on A.net are aviation enthusiasts, not all of us are familiar with every identifier, abbreviation, acronym, etc. used in aviation and around the world.

KHYR?

e38

eagles94

Sat May 02, 2020 1:33 am

e38 wrote:
Johnslayton, while most of us on A.net are aviation enthusiasts, not all of us are familiar with every identifier, abbreviation, acronym, etc. used in aviation and around the world.

KHYR?

e38

Google is your friend! KHYR is the ICAO code of Sawyer County Airport, Wisconsin.

airportugal310

Sat May 02, 2020 1:41 am

Say NO to Kilo!!
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Johnslayton
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 2:04 am

Thanks for the replies everyone. Yes, KHYR is sawyer county airport. My family cabin is east of downtown Hayward and the A330 was very low. If it’s maintenance flight I assume they were descending and ascending possibly to test engines? I am not familiar with maintenance flights.

caleb1

Sat May 02, 2020 2:04 am

We can all use Google, but I agree that it would've been helpful to also include the airport name.

wjcandee

Sat May 02, 2020 2:14 am

Back in the old days, A.net demanded that you ONLY use the acronyms, and there was a little translator thingy that let you put your cursor on the acronym and it would turn it into actual words. Moderators would upbraid you if you DARED use anything other than DL or KYZB or whatever. So the habit stays with some of us!

DL777200LR

Sat May 02, 2020 2:26 am

These flights are done to prevent an aircraft having to go into short term/long term storage requirements. DL 9981 from JFK today is another example.
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE90-115B on engine start.

basskontrol

Sat May 02, 2020 2:38 am

(0.49 seconds) ... the time it took google to find KHYR. :banghead:

71Zulu

Sat May 02, 2020 2:46 am

eagles94 wrote:
e38 wrote:

KHYR?

e38

Google is your friend! KHYR is the ICAO code of Sawyer County Airport, Wisconsin.
But who the hell wants to Google every airport code because somebody just can't write it out? The coded language on this site is annoying.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jetblueguy22

Sat May 02, 2020 2:54 am

71Zulu wrote:
eagles94 wrote:
e38 wrote:

KHYR?

e38

But who the hell wants to Google every airport code because somebody just can't write it out? The coded language on this site is annoying.

Aviation is all about codes and acronyms. It’s just the culture and it’s never going to change
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

Johnslayton
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 2:56 am

Sorry I am a US based student pilot so the ICAO identifier I thought would be best way to describe it. In short, it was a delta a330 widebody that was very low for this area and since KHYR only has roughly a 5000 foot runway I knew this plane wasn’t lining up for final. At first I was afraid it was a genuine emergency situation. We get lots of 747/777 out of O’Hare going to anchorage or Asia but they are at cruise levels. This was very unusual

F9Animal

Sat May 02, 2020 5:36 am

wjcandee wrote:
Back in the old days, A.net demanded that you ONLY use the acronyms, and there was a little translator thingy that let you put your cursor on the acronym and it would turn it into actual words. Moderators would upbraid you if you DARED use anything other than DL or KYZB or whatever. So the habit stays with some of us!

Yes!! You took the words out of my mouth. Whatever happened to the codes being visible by running your mouse or clicking on the code?

How long was the plane up for? I would be curious to see it's flight path. Sometimes I will see Boeing up test flying around Seattle, but they usually don't do low and slow.
I Am A Different Animal!!

wjcandee

Sat May 02, 2020 6:48 am

F9Animal, I think that was one of the customized features of the old coded from scratch platform, that disappeared when they moved to this standardized, more reliable, one. I guess they couldn't make this do that, which is too bad, but the increased reliability is nice. It's just kind of funny that we old timers are being criticized for doing something that was absolutely mandatory in the past.

BlueberryWheats

Sat May 02, 2020 7:55 am

Good lord. Well, that's another new member the a.net community has probably scared away... :roll:
The tallest blade of grass is the first to be cut.

exFWAOONW

Sat May 02, 2020 2:11 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
71Zulu wrote:
eagles94 wrote:

Aviation is all about codes and acronyms. It’s just the culture and it’s never going to change

The use of codes in the airline industry is a legacy of the early teletype machines used for communication. It was expensive, on the order of one cent per character sent. It added up quickly, and the use of codes to shorten messages became standard. Now, it’s just the industry lexicon. Every endeavor will create its own jargon, eventually.

That said, I tend to agree about using codes for smaller, out of the way places, tends to lose part of your audience. Just because it’s your home airport, and you go there every week, doesn’t mean everyone on this site recognizes it.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

Q

Sat May 02, 2020 3:13 pm

https://www.flightmanager.com/content/A ... rForm.aspx put in your bookmark save it future use it.

Q

71Zulu

Sat May 02, 2020 3:28 pm

rrapynot wrote:
71Zulu wrote:
eagles94 wrote:

What’s a SM-N960U? I don’t want google it.
Haha no worries, it's my phone, a Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

MIflyer12

Sat May 02, 2020 3:48 pm

Johnslayton wrote:
Sorry I am a US based student pilot so the ICAO identifier I thought would be best way to describe it.

No ICAO - IATA for U.S. destinations. :D

KLAX is just pretentious.

readytotaxi

Sat May 02, 2020 4:06 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Johnslayton wrote:
Sorry I am a US based student pilot so the ICAO identifier I thought would be best way to describe it.

agreed,,
TTFN. :cheerful:
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Sat May 02, 2020 4:36 pm

Pilots get bored when they haven't been flying. Maybe one of them lives out that way and was given the keys to the jet to put some time on it and told their buddies to watch for them. If that's the case they should have taken 'er down lower than 3500 feet and had a little more fun.

Johnslayton
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 6:01 pm

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Pilots get bored when they haven't been flying. Maybe one of them lives out that way and was given the keys to the jet to put some time on it and told their buddies to watch for them. If that's the case they should have taken 'er down lower than 3500 feet and had a little more fun.

That’s one of my ideas too. Maybe a delta pilot based out of MSP has a cabin in this area and wanted to have some fun. If not, I am genuinely curious as to why they would get that low. If there are any delta ops or maintenance people viewing this thread I would like to know the details of maintenance flights or FAA requirements to fly if a jet has been sitting for too long and they need to take a joy ride in it.

Johnslayton
Topic Author

Sat May 02, 2020 6:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Johnslayton wrote:

Not trying to be pretentious. Just a habit because when I check Metars I always enter the K to look it up. It’s also how I’ve learned to flight plan. At any rate, now I understand there are aviation enthusiasts here that may not know these terms and I will try to expand my next post more.

eagles94

Sat May 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Johnslayton wrote:
That’s one of my ideas too. Maybe a delta pilot based out of MSP has a cabin in this area and wanted to have some fun. If not, I am genuinely curious as to why they would get that low. If there are any delta ops or maintenance people viewing this thread I would like to know the details of maintenance flights or FAA requirements to fly if a jet has been sitting for too long and they need to take a joy ride in it.

Don’t fly for Delta, nor do I fly the 330, nor am I a check flight qualified pilot, but at my carrier we conduct FAA Functional Check flights, which are conducted by a specially select group of pilots, normally after coming out of heavy maintenance or a C or D check. Id imagine it would have been out towards you due to the clear airspace, giving the check flight crew and ATC the freedom to allow them to do what they need. A functional check flight is generally carried out on the systems that were most disturbed during the maintenance. The reasons for the multiple ascents and descents could vary, it could be a systems test on the aircraft pressurisation systems, flight controls, Landing gear, Autopilot systems(for example, how the aircraft handles itself during low and slow flying conditions such as final approach), or the RAM Air system or RAT.

But of course, it could have been some bored pilots on a joyride, only people who know will fully be able to answer this question!

gabik001

Mon May 04, 2020 2:50 am

Hope they not want to dump a fuel....
Canon 50D gripped + Canon 70D + 17-40 L + 24-105 L IS + 50 f/1.8 STM + 100-400L IS USM + Sigma 150-600 S

twaconnie

Mon May 04, 2020 3:38 pm

basskontrol wrote:
(0.49 seconds) ... the time it took google to find KHYR. :banghead:

AIR NAV.COM also very quick.

Ziyulu

Mon May 04, 2020 3:58 pm

eagles94 wrote:
e38 wrote:

KHYR?

e38

He used the airport abbreviation, but spelled out the airline name. Why didn't he use DL?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 04, 2020 4:24 pm

Likely just a good area of clear airspace. When DL does these types of flights out of DTW they tend to go up over the northern lower peninsula of Michigan.
So do the boys over at Kalitta in OSC. Always fun to see them flying patters over northern Michigan on maintenance check-out flights up that way in their 744s.

johns624

Mon May 04, 2020 4:33 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:

That said, I tend to agree about using codes for smaller, out of the way places, tends to lose part of your audience. Just because it’s your home airport, and you go there every week, doesn’t mean everyone on this website recognizes it.
I agree. The major airports are no problem but when you're talking about a GA airport, it's nice when they're written out.

BravoOne

Mon May 04, 2020 4:40 pm

71Zulu wrote:
eagles94 wrote:
e38 wrote:

KHYR?

e38

I'll 2nd that and I have been around a long time. Some time reading these posts is like a reading NOTAM.

Ziyulu

Mon May 04, 2020 4:43 pm

Are the three character airport codes used more frequently than the four character ones?

NAPADL1976

Mon May 04, 2020 4:59 pm

This is a perfect example of why the hyperlink for airport identifiers is missed so much since the Airliners.Net update. Bring it back, please!

NWAESC

Mon May 04, 2020 5:38 pm

Johnslayton wrote:

It is.

...And as noted above, an old habit for many users that have been here awhile...
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

e38

Mon May 04, 2020 5:46 pm

Quoting Ziyulu (Reply # 32), "Are the three character airport codes used more frequently than the four character ones?"

It depends.

When you're talking about passenger operations--booking of flights, passengers, reservation agents, ticket and gate agents, baggage tags affixed to luggage, etc.--then the three letter identifier (IATA) is most common. For example, London Heathrow airport -- LHR.

When you're talking about flight operations--pilots, dispatchers, flight planning, air traffic control, weather reports, position reporting, especially international operations--then the four letter identifier (ICAO) is most common. For example, London Heathrow airport - EGLL.

Neither of these situations is absolute, but rather "most common" depending upon which aspect of the operations you refer to.

e38

SuseJ772

Mon May 04, 2020 6:19 pm

wjcandee wrote:
F9Animal, I think that was one of the customized features of the old coded from scratch platform, that disappeared when they moved to this standardized, more reliable, one. I guess they couldn't make this do that, which is too bad, but the increased reliability is nice. It's just kind of funny that we old timers are being criticized for doing something that was absolutely mandatory in the past.

The thing that gets me is that this is such an unbelievably easy thing to code. Honestly, there are two ways to handle it. A simple RegEx with a link replacement, or a database call with a link replacement. It isn't that taxing on the server either, so it has no influence on its reliability one way or the other. If I had access to the source code, it would literally take less than 15 minutes to implement. The fact that it hasn't been implemented in all this time since they migrated to the new platform shows just how little they care about the functionality of the site.

And yes, wjcandee has been here longer than me (20 years to my 15 years), but I remember the "necessity" to learn and use the codes. That being said KHYR is pretty obscure and is a perfect example of how the site should help its user base out because I agree, having to Google shouldn't be required (but neither should not using the codes).
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

mattyfitzg

Mon May 04, 2020 6:39 pm

eagles94 wrote:
Johnslayton wrote:

Don’t fly for Delta, nor do I fly the 330, nor am I a check flight qualified pilot, but at my carrier we conduct FAA Functional Check flights, which are conducted by a specially select group of pilots, normally after coming out of heavy maintenance or a C or D check. Id imagine it would have been out towards you due to the clear airspace, giving the check flight crew and ATC the freedom to allow them to do what they need. A functional check flight is generally carried out on the systems that were most disturbed during the maintenance. The reasons for the multiple ascents and descents could vary, it could be a systems test on the aircraft pressurisation systems, flight controls, Landing gear, Autopilot systems(for example, how the aircraft handles itself during low and slow flying conditions such as final approach), or the RAM Air system or RAT.

But of course, it could have been some bored pilots on a joyride, only people who know will fully be able to answer this question!

The only actual answer to the OPs question so far.

Put whatever code you want, if you don’t understand somebody else’s code, google it, it’s really not that complicated, it’s an aviation forum afterall.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos