Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

fidelidade

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Fri May 22, 2020 12:26 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:
I have said this over before, TAP has very good management, and it takes a while to turn 72 years of government run into profits in 3 years. However, like Portugal, I think TAP is vastly underrated. Kinda like how Portugal handled COVID versus Spain

Completely irrelevant other than some pieces of news. There is no country in Europe that has managed worst the crisis than the UK. And Greece has also managed it very well. It doesn't mean that business or high-end demand is going to move from London to Athens or Lisbon because of that.

Same for tourism. Portugal will likely be worse hit than Spain, France or Italy this summer because 1) their domestic market is very small (and ES, FR and IT are betting on domestic demand), 2) the number of foreigners with second homes (other than Algarve) is smaller and 3) the geographical location of Portugal is much more peripheral to Europe and a lot of people this summer is not willing to take a plane (and driving from Munich or Geneva to the French/Spanish/Italian coasts is more realistic than to Portugal).

abrelosojos wrote:
Read up on the last few years of general political and economic management, and you will see what I mean about Portuguese political and economic performance versus Spain.

There is nothing particularly worth noting about the last few years in Portugal. PT has benefited from:

- A tourism boom like many other countries around the world. A lot of city-break / TATL / AirBNB tourism that now will be the worst hit.
- Very advantageous tax breaks for foreign residents (including Golden Visa for non-EU citizens)
- The largest percentage of native population living abroad in the OECD (other than Mexico) that kept increasing even during the Portuguese boom. Remittances back home that will be reduced with a global crisis.
- A crazy real estate bubble linked to the three points above that now will undoubtedly crash.

I don't know why you keep thinking that. As many of the posters are noting, most people generally are of the view Portugal has been remarkably well managed over the past few years, especially when compared to the chaos that has been in Spain. The handling of the coronavirus epidemic is another example of this solid political leadership. Remember, Portugal has not suffered from all the political crisis and riots Spain has with Catalunya and all that.

Here is some information from respected global media on Portugal handling the crisis:

https://www.businessinsider.com/portugu ... sis-2020-4
https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 849ff69def
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-minister
https://newseu.cgtn.com/news/2020-05-20 ... index.html

(All are big famous and respectable media, and not Portuguese)

Here is some information on how most people think Portugal did better than any other countries after the Euro crisis:

https://www.spiegel.de/international/eu ... 88837.html
https://www.economist.com/europe/2018/0 ... t-portugal
https://www.economist.com/europe/2019/1 ... government

On TAP, like every airline, it will need to downsize. This is not just a Portuguese challenge. I actually think it gives them a golden opportunity to right size Oporto, and continue the transformation they are doing. I don't see any destination cancelations, and I see them playing with aircraft size and frequency. As others have said, they have a very good management team, and the turn around in revenue at the end of 2019 and beginning of 2020 was something pretty impressive.

Nicknuzzii

Fri May 22, 2020 12:36 pm

Did TAP pull out of JFK?

SCQ83

Fri May 22, 2020 1:11 pm

lugie wrote:
Ask any economist with some knowledge in the recovery trajectories of Southern European countries after the 2008- Euro crisis and the unanimous response will be that Portugal has handled it best

Those are the same economists that in 2006 praised the "Spanish economic miracle".

Portugal 2020 is another bubble like Spain 2008. You can call it a Ponzi scheme. Everything will fall apart now. Portugal's success was a mix of low salaries (already lower than many Eastern European countries), global tourism boom, some interesting tax-schemes for foreigners (not for locals as income tax and VAT are horribly high) and a real estate bubble.

The Portuguese construction worker in Luxembourg or Geneva invested in an apartment in Porto or Lisbon for AirBNB for those city-breakers arriving in Ryanair or those American tourists in cheap TAP flights, or to rent to a retired tax-exile from Italy (10-year 0 tax for foreign revenues). That tourism boom created new service jobs and the real estate demand pushed a construction boom (more jobs and investors). And everything went OK until it didn't.

You can imagine what will happen now when this worker in Luxembourg will see his income reduced (global crisis), those AirBNB will remain empty, construction will come to a standstill, those flights will be cut or reduced and those service workers will be without a job. The ponzi scheme falls apart.

I think the only good thing going for TAP and Portuguese aviation is the enormous diaspora. In those times of pandemics and global economic meltdown, VFR will be more resilient than leisure traffic. Given how widespread that Portuguese diaspora is (there are huge communities in France, Benelux, Switzerland, London, Germany, US, Canada, Brazil, etc.) that means that those destinations will keep even in the worst of times a minimum level of connectivity.

airbazar

Fri May 22, 2020 1:25 pm

jmmadrid wrote:

In addition, TAP were always the cheapest option in those "connecting" routes they offered. It was easy to find good deals even a few days before the flight. Maybe it's a good time to focus on yields?

That's driven in part because TAP has one of the cheapest operating costs in Europe, second only to TK I believe. There's a reason why TK often has the cheapest fares.
Having a per capita GDP that is half of that of the Netherlands helps because it means that your labor costs are also half.

SCQ83 wrote:
Same for tourism. Portugal will likely be worse hit than Spain, France or Italy this summer because 1) their domestic market is very small (and ES, FR and IT are betting on domestic demand), 2) the number of foreigners with second homes (other than Algarve) is smaller and 3) the geographical location of Portugal is much more peripheral to Europe and a lot of people this summer is not willing to take a plane (and driving from Munich or Geneva to the French/Spanish/Italian coasts is more realistic than to Portugal).

Humm, really? We shall see. Portugal already announced they are open for tourism starting June 6th, including visitors from the U.S., Canada, and Brazil. Remind me again what other country in Europe is open by that date? None. If you think that Portugal's tourism will be hit harder than Spain or France, i think you'll be mistaken. Being a smaller tourist destination also means they don't need a huge number of tourists in order to see a decent rebound.

But this is not necessarily good news for TAP. As stated, TP relies heavily on connecting traffic and if the rest of Europe isn't open, that's not very good for them.

France and Spain for example are far more reliant on Asian and American tourists than Portugal is, 2 groups that are unlikely to travel this Summer so it's hard for me to imagine those 2 countries ending this year with a better rebound in visitors.At the end of the day however I think we're splitting hairs. Everyone in Europe and around the world will suffer greatly and there's no getting away from that.

Jetport

Fri May 22, 2020 4:00 pm

Duartelmatos wrote:
The plan must be to retire the 7 A330-200 and keep both the 19 (+2 orders) A330neo’s and all the A321neoLR and respective orders for long haul.
For medium/ short haul, we may see a big part of the A320 CEO family going away, only keeping NEO aircrafts and respective orders. Basically it’s speeding up the retiring process already planned, starting with all the A319s.
In terms of destinations, we should expect the decrease of some frequencies and the cancellation of one or two long haul routes and no more than that, I would say.
Short/medium haul routes may have a stricter cut, from my point of view.

Is TAP really going to take the last 2 A330-900's? I'm sure some of the A330-900's they already have will be parked for a very long time, why in the world would they take more to send to storage for a few years?

AECM

Fri May 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Jetport wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:
The plan must be to retire the 7 A330-200 and keep both the 19 (+2 orders) A330neo’s and all the A321neoLR and respective orders for long haul.
For medium/ short haul, we may see a big part of the A320 CEO family going away, only keeping NEO aircrafts and respective orders. Basically it’s speeding up the retiring process already planned, starting with all the A319s.
In terms of destinations, we should expect the decrease of some frequencies and the cancellation of one or two long haul routes and no more than that, I would say.

Is TAP really going to take the last 2 A330-900's? I'm sure some of the A330-900's they already have will be parked for a very long time, why in the world would they take more to send to storage for a few years?

The last two i think were only to be deliver later this year or in 2021 and if this is the case they can try to delay or even change for more A321LR, who knows.

airportugal310

Fri May 22, 2020 7:38 pm

AECM wrote:
Jetport wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:

The last two i think were only to be deliver later this year or in 2021 and if this is the case they can try to delay or even change for more A321LR, who knows.

I think that's completely possible, considering the aircraft aren't likely to be in the FAL yet if delivery is later this year
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Duartelmatos

Fri May 22, 2020 11:47 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Did TAP pull out of JFK?

JFK is returning either in November 2020 or in January 2021.

Jetport wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:

I think it makes sense those aircraft to be delivered as they’re only expected to arrive in 2021. TAP will have 7 A330-200 retired. Keep in mind that TAP has some destinations which have high demand from Portugal. The demand will come sooner or later and they must have aircrafts to fly. Cancun and Johannesburg are still expected to open in November.
As they are getting rid of many smaller aircrafts, I wouldn’t be surprised if they started flying some A339 in Europe again.

Duartelmatos

Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm

I meant Cape Town instead of Johannesburg

Jomar777

Sat May 23, 2020 8:24 am

Duartelmatos wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
airhansa wrote:
East Asians are generally disappointed with the response by western countries to the pandemic and their perception of western healthcare standards has been tarnished, and sadly one of the main views circulating is that the poorly funded healthcare systems of Southern Europe are less safe - so a toxic mix of "lower western standards" and "poor healthcare infrastructure" isn't going to help Portugal from an eastern perspective.

Furthermore, the bulk of economic growth in 2020 and 2021 will be in Asia, not the West, especially considering China and especially India are expected to grow.

airhansa wrote:
The meaning behind the comments was that Asian tourists, who will likely be less economically affected in comparison to Western tourists, are going to be more distrusting of western healthcare systems and hence more likely to stay within their regions post-pandemic. You also overlook that the histories of SARS and MERS mean that Asians are less likely to be worried about leaving the house after the pandemic subsides.

Both comments are a bit rich coming from you. Firstly, we do not know how long ago COVID19 started neither clearly how it started so we are not able to define clearly the approach China has taken as appropriately or not. Secondly, overall, nobody - WHO included - knows yet whether the actual approach on any country was either necessary or clearly successful. Countries like South Korea managed the control of the spread really well but are now subject to a 2nd wave since they do not have heard immunization whereas Sweden has been somehow praised by passing through all this with no lockdown and economic damage of large scale. I cannot say who was right or wrong so neither does you. The future will tell and, to be honest, Asia its own problems which might or not prevent westerners going there the same way. This means that, for the average tourist - Asian or not - when we clear the pandemic, will be business as usual provided it is safe in regards to criminality, pollution, political stability and infrastructure. Just a very small proportion of tourist worldwide do so for medical reasons. You do not travel to the UK to see their NHS rather than Buckingham Palace and Houses of Parliament for that matter.

Now, back to topic - TAP was a while ago well known for poor services and old aircraft and they were trying to invest heavily to change that. Their A338s were really key for it and the A321XLR allowed them to fly NB where only a WB would reach meaning they could rationalize seat offering. I traveled with them just before the lockdown to GRU from LGW and there service was really good. Their A338 was quite a nice ride. The problem is that COVID hit them in the middle of the process just like any other airline.

They will need to cut services and personnel but look at IAG which publicly declared that did not want Government support: 12,000 job losses at BA and great part (if not all) their B747s will no fly again ever. Everyone got hit and everyone is trying to survive.

I feel TAP will be fine albeit, like many others, a smaller, leaner airliner but one with newer aircraft and better services compared to before.

TAP only has A330-900neo. ;)

Sorry... typo... my bad... you are right and they advertise them on their flight schedules as "First to Fly"...

airbazar

Sat May 23, 2020 1:14 pm

AECM wrote:

I would hope they wait for the XLR. The LR isn't quite what they expected it to be. This past Winter it had to make quite a few refueling stops on the LIS-IAD route.

airhansa

Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm

I would prefer to see a consolidation of national airlines in Europe, ideally dropping their national branding. TAP has a small market and unremarkable seat product. I'd rather have the airline merged into another airline unless it expanded significantly outside Portugal within Europe.

AECM

Sat May 23, 2020 1:27 pm

airbazar wrote:
AECM wrote:

I would hope they wait for the XLR. The LR isn't quite what they expected it to be. This past Winter it had to make quite a few refueling stops on the LIS-IAD route.
Yes the XLR would be a good improvement. I remember some fuel stops for TP47 LIS-BEL in Canarias or Cabo Verde. I did a very small flight from LIS to OPO in one of TAP A321LR and I liked the concept.

kipfilet

Sat May 23, 2020 3:24 pm

airhansa wrote:
I would prefer to see a consolidation of national airlines in Europe, ideally dropping their national branding. TAP has a small market and unremarkable seat product. I'd rather have the airline merged into another airline unless it expanded significantly outside Portugal within Europe.

Someone likes to pay a lot for their airfare!

aemoreira1981

Sat May 23, 2020 5:28 pm

The other issue now for TP is its reliance on the Brazil market. With COVID-19 there out of control, I cannot see TAP resuming any operations to Brazil for the foreseeable future, which would likely free up an A21N that would have gone to BEL. For the foreseeable future (most of the rest of NS20), I would suggest that TP only fly destinations reachable with a narrow body, plus MPM, sub-daily if need be (i.e., 3x weekly to BOS and 4x weekly to EWR, and YYZ and LAD also sharing a plane.) One or two A339s would be needed for MPM.

Duartelmatos

Sat May 23, 2020 7:33 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The other issue now for TP is its reliance on the Brazil market. With COVID-19 there out of control, I cannot see TAP resuming any operations to Brazil for the foreseeable future, which would likely free up an A21N that would have gone to BEL. For the foreseeable future (most of the rest of NS20), I would suggest that TP only fly destinations reachable with a narrow body, plus MPM, sub-daily if need be (i.e., 3x weekly to BOS and 4x weekly to EWR, and YYZ and LAD also sharing a plane.) One or two A339s would be needed for MPM.

São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro started this week with 3 and 2 weekly flights.

Kikko19

Sun May 24, 2020 7:46 am

Duartelmatos wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

before south America, TP should start to shuttle scandinavian tourists (except swedish still trying to get autoimmune) and later germans to own houses in south portugal, before Easyjet and FR will do the same. I wonder if DY will resume international ops this year.

factsonly

Sun May 24, 2020 9:00 am

For the time being TAP Air Portugal operates some pretty interesting routes like:

May 24, 2020: XMN - OPO TP9192 A339 CS-TUQ non-stop 13hrs49min:

https://www.flightradar24.com/TAP9192/248e067f

AECM

Sun May 24, 2020 9:45 am

factsonly wrote:
For the time being TAP Air Portugal operates some pretty interesting routes like:

May 24, 2020: XMN - OPO TP9192 A339 CS-TUQ non-stop 13hrs49min:

https://www.flightradar24.com/TAP9192/248e067f
TAP has been doing almost every week flights to China to bring medical equipment. Today there was a flight PEK-LIS and this from XMN-OPO

fidelidade

Sun May 24, 2020 3:25 pm

Smart ramp up plan being launched by TAP. At OPO, they are just maintaining LIS, FNC, and OPO.

fidelidade

Sun May 24, 2020 3:29 pm

Kikko19 wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

before south America, TP should start to shuttle scandinavian tourists (except swedish still trying to get autoimmune) and later germans to own houses in south portugal, before Easyjet and FR will do the same. I wonder if DY will resume international ops this year.

I see their plan for July, and it is exactly what they are doing. Re-banked all their operation so double daily Germany connect with Islands and domestic. No much capacity for Brasil, and very pessimistic about Spain. Interestingly, lots of Italian service resumption’s.

airportugal310

Sun May 24, 2020 9:39 pm

fidelidade wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:
Duartelmatos wrote:

I see their plan for July, and it is exactly what they are doing. Re-banked all their operation so double daily Germany connect with Islands and domestic. No much capacity for Brasil, and very pessimistic about Spain. Interestingly, lots of Italian service resumption’s.

Thoughts on Boston?
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

aemoreira1981

Sun May 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Duartelmatos wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I would hope the EU steps in there, given that the USA has just banned entry for non-Americans from Brazil...GIG and GRU should only be for cargo.

airportugal310 wrote:
fidelidade wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Thoughts on Boston?

BOS should be quick to resume as well, from both PDL and LIS. At least CS-TJM/N should be ETOPS equipped, as they were with Primera Air previously and TP kept the Primera Air configuration, giving TP currently six ETOPS-equipped A21Ns (two non-LR and four-LR)...CS-TJM/N and CS-TXA/B/C/D, with -E/F due soon. PDL-BOS could be on TJM/N.
Last edited by aemoreira1981 on Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User001

Sun May 24, 2020 9:57 pm

Some UK and Eire news for TAP post covid

One of 2 OPO-LGW flights moves to LHR (nightstopper) from July 1st.

DUB: 4 weekly nightstopper added from 25th October. Some days have 3 daily but overall frequency remains 14 weekly.

MAN: 4 weekly nightstopper added from 25th October. Frequency increases from the 12 weekly of W19 to 15 weekly this winter. Some days see 3 daily flights.

AECM

Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

BOS should be quick to resume as well, from both PDL and LIS. At least CS-TJM/N should be ETOPS equipped, as they were with Primera Air previously and TP kept the Primera Air configuration, giving TP currently six ETOPS-equipped A21Ns (two non-LR and four-LR)...CS-TJM/N and CS-TXA/B/C/D, with -E/F due soon. PDL-BOS could be on TJM/N.

I think that TJM/TJN kept the Primera cabin but the aux tanks were removed. Currently there are two more A321LR in XFW that should be ready for flight testing and delivery.

9Patch

Mon May 25, 2020 2:06 am

airbazar wrote:

Humm, really? We shall see. Portugal already announced they are open for tourism starting June 6th, including visitors from the U.S., Canada, and Brazil. Remind me again what other country in Europe is open by that date? None. If you think that Portugal's tourism will be hit harder than Spain or France, i think you'll be mistaken. Being a smaller tourist destination also means they don't need a huge number of tourists in order to see a decent rebound.

Just because Portugal is open June 6, doesn't mean tourists will come.
I would love to visit Portugal some day and I imagine there are great deals to be had on Airbnb. But no, I don't feel comfortable taking a long flight to go anywhere this year.

wenders825

Mon May 25, 2020 4:01 am

9Patch wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I would love to visit Portugal some day and I imagine there are great deals to be had on Airbnb. But no, I don't feel comfortable taking a long flight to go anywhere this year.

you may not, but plenty will

9Patch

Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 am

wenders825 wrote:
9Patch wrote:
airbazar wrote:

you may not, but plenty will

Doubtful.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos