Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wenders825

Re: TAP Air Portugal's post COVID-19 crisis

Mon May 25, 2020 4:01 am

9Patch wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Humm, really? We shall see. Portugal already announced they are open for tourism starting June 6th, including visitors from the U.S., Canada, and Brazil. Remind me again what other country in Europe is open by that date? None. If you think that Portugal's tourism will be hit harder than Spain or France, i think you'll be mistaken. Being a smaller tourist destination also means they don't need a huge number of tourists in order to see a decent rebound.

Just because Portugal is open June 6, doesn't mean tourists will come.
I would love to visit Portugal some day and I imagine there are great deals to be had on Airbnb. But no, I don't feel comfortable taking a long flight to go anywhere this year.

you may not, but plenty will

9Patch

Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 am

wenders825 wrote:
9Patch wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Humm, really? We shall see. Portugal already announced they are open for tourism starting June 6th, including visitors from the U.S., Canada, and Brazil. Remind me again what other country in Europe is open by that date? None. If you think that Portugal's tourism will be hit harder than Spain or France, i think you'll be mistaken. Being a smaller tourist destination also means they don't need a huge number of tourists in order to see a decent rebound.

I would love to visit Portugal some day and I imagine there are great deals to be had on Airbnb. But no, I don't feel comfortable taking a long flight to go anywhere this year.

you may not, but plenty will

Doubtful.

kipfilet

Mon May 25, 2020 2:02 pm

There is still no way to fly directly from the US to Portugal as of mid June.

GoncaloRibas

Mon May 25, 2020 2:12 pm

TP will fly 2xw between Lisbon and Newark in June

AECM

Mon May 25, 2020 2:17 pm

GoncaloRibas wrote:

It's the current plan, lets see if nothing changes...

Current plan has of today:

https://www.flytap.com/en-pt/promo/ready-to-go?accordionid=deeb1b68-b897-4829-beea-87b3f684b398-content

airbazar

Mon May 25, 2020 3:36 pm

GoncaloRibas wrote:

TAP never stopped flying between LIS and EWR. They reduced it to 2x weekly. Travel between the U.S. and Portugal has always been allowed for essential travel.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/TAP ... /KEWR/LPPT

9Patch wrote:

Remember that the vast majority of tourists to Portugal, are from within the EU. So no long flight required. A lot of them will just drive too. There have been discussions of setting up a "sterile" corridor thru Spain to allow people who want to travel by car from Europe to Portugal, to cross Spain without overnighting.
You may feel uneasy but plenty won't. I can tell you that we're still planning a trip to Europe this Summer. Just waiting for them to officially allow U.S. residents, to buy our tickets. I have no problem spending hours on a plane. Between the vertical air circulation and the high filtration rate, I would feel pretty safe in one. Far safer than being inside any restaurant or movie theater.

kipfilet

Mon May 25, 2020 3:37 pm

GoncaloRibas wrote:

That's what they are saying, but it's not bookable anywhere.
What good is for them to keep flying if no one can buy those tickets?

GoncaloRibas

Mon May 25, 2020 3:43 pm

kipfilet wrote:
GoncaloRibas wrote:

Flights are available in TP website. TP will operate LIS-EWR at Thursdays and Sundays starting June 4th

kipfilet

Mon May 25, 2020 4:35 pm

Got it, I guess I was choosing the wrong weekdays.

9Patch

Mon May 25, 2020 5:06 pm

airbazar wrote:
Remember that the vast majority of tourists to Portugal, are from within the EU. So no long flight required. A lot of them will just drive too. There have been discussions of setting up a "sterile" corridor thru Spain to allow people who want to travel by car from Europe to Portugal, to cross Spain without overnighting.

Sterile corridor? Oh that's reassuring. :sarcastic:
Most people reading that are going see a big sign flashing DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!
No thanks. I'll stay at home until there's a vaccine.

I have no problem spending hours on a plane. Between the vertical air circulation and the high filtration rate, I would feel pretty safe in one. Far safer than being inside any restaurant or movie theater.

The whole point of going to Portugal for me would be to enjoy restaurants, without feeling unsafe.

airbazar

Mon May 25, 2020 6:21 pm

kipfilet wrote:
GoncaloRibas wrote:

Currently you need to call up TAP's reservation number and show proof that your reason for travel is essential. You cannot just book online.
I suspect that restriction will go away once they open up the borders in June.
9Patch wrote:
The whole point of going to Portugal for me would be to enjoy restaurants, without feeling unsafe.

You can do that in Portugal today. And I did that right here in New Hampshire yesterday too albeit in an outdoor patio which in a Summer evening is even better :)
But for some people, that's never going to be something they feel safe about doing, even when there is a vaccine. We have a Flu vaccine and still thousands of people die every year.

9Patch

Mon May 25, 2020 7:21 pm

airbazar wrote:
But for some people, that's never going to be something they feel safe about doing, even when there is a vaccine. We have a Flu vaccine and still thousands of people die every year.

That doesn't bode well for a quick rebound in tourism.

BRUfly

Tue May 26, 2020 12:06 am

TAP's communication these days is rather confusing.

So today/yesterday they announced their routes and frequencies for the summer. LIS-FOR should be return in July, one flight a week instead of the daily connection they normally offer.
I bought my tickets a long time ago. When simulating a booking for the same routes on the same dates (July 30 and return on August 21st) on their website, the outbound flight (BRU-LIS-FOR) does not seem to exist anymore. However I didn't receive any e-mail yet to inform me that there are changes, and when I log in to manage my booking it is also still the same. Because I am getting a bit worried I contacted their call center (long waiting time with a very annoying music), and the operator also told me that nothing has changed and my itinerary still stands.

So... I'm getting a private plane for me and my family or what... ?

And off course it will all depend on the COVID-situation in Brazil which is very bad today (at its peek). But there are still 2 months left and because I think that one has to stay positive in life, I have no plans to cancel and request a voucher yet. I keep an eye on that on a daily base, but it has nothing to do with my worries about the flight. Rescheduling my travel plans would be no problem for me, but I just like clear and honest communication... especially when you paid quite a lot of money for it.

sergegva

Tue May 26, 2020 7:53 am

Informations on the resumption of their flights is rather confusing on the TAP website, with no precise date, and with a search engine that runs empty without giving any result (neither positive nor negative) for the destinations still suspended.

I find it surprising that, while Portugal is less affected than other European countries, TAP seems to be restarting much more slowly than other airlines.

Is there any information on when flights to GVA will resume?

AECM

Tue May 26, 2020 8:09 am

sergegva wrote:
Informations on the resumption of their flights is rather confusing on the TAP website, with no precise date, and with a search engine that runs empty without giving any result (neither positive nor negative) for the destinations still suspended.

I find it surprising that, while Portugal is less affected than other European countries, TAP seems to be restarting much more slowly than other airlines.

GVA should resume in July with 7 flights a week from LIS

https://www.flytap.com/en-pt/promo/ready-to-go?accordionid=deeb1b68-b897-4829-beea-87b3f684b398-content

sergegva

Tue May 26, 2020 8:22 am

AECM wrote:
sergegva wrote:

GVA should resume in July with 7 flights a week from LIS

Thanks, I missed that page. But booking engine is still not working.

ahj2000

Tue May 26, 2020 3:13 pm

Anyone know when JFK/IAD flights would return? Those $250 r/t to Europe with stopover in LIS have been super tempting as a way to get out of town for a while when this mess is done.
-Andrés Juánez

Nicknuzzii

Tue May 26, 2020 4:10 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
Anyone know when JFK/IAD flights would return? Those $250 r/t to Europe with stopover in LIS have been super tempting as a way to get out of town for a while when this mess is done.

Not for a while for JFK so your better off picking EWR. It’s closer to the city anyway.

airbazar

Tue May 26, 2020 4:41 pm

AECM wrote:
TAP has been doing almost every week flights to China to bring medical equipment. Today there was a flight PEK-LIS and this from XMN-OPO

Some more details on those.
https://simpleflying.com/tap-a330neo-freighter/

Kikko19

Wed May 27, 2020 10:14 am

I saw loaded also CUN for the autumn, hopefully no second wave coming :D

abrelosojos

Wed May 27, 2020 10:46 am

Kikko19 wrote:

= I just looked this up, and it is an extremely smart schedule.

LIS (2355) - CUN (0605+1)
CUN (1530) - LIS (0530+1)

Seems like it allows their entire 60+ city European network to have the latest departure out of Europe, and arrive in CUN for full day of vacation, and 1 night less of hotel. Flight is also perfectly timed for hotel check-out times.

I think this would be the only European airline arriving red-eye into CUN.

Smart move.

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

airbazar

Wed May 27, 2020 12:26 pm

abrelosojos wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Seems like it allows their entire 60+ city European network to have the latest departure out of Europe, and arrive in CUN for full day of vacation, and 1 night less of hotel. Flight is also perfectly timed for hotel check-out times.

Smart move.

Saludos,
Alex

It's ironic that this ultra leisure route would be the only(?) TATL route that is a red-eye in both directions when common a.net wisdom always said that business fliers are the ones that prefer red-eyes. I have always disagreed with this theory by the way. In my opinion the red-eyes exist in order to maximize the connectivity at an airline's hub, not because they are the preferred choice of business fliers.

Kikko19

Thu May 28, 2020 7:32 am

airbazar wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Smart move.

Saludos,
Alex

It's ironic that this ultra leisure route would be the only(?) TATL route that is a red-eye in both directions when common a.net wisdom always said that business fliers are the ones that prefer red-eyes. I have always disagreed with this theory by the way. In my opinion the red-eyes exist in order to maximize the connectivity at an airline's hub, not because they are the preferred choice of business fliers.

a339? it's doable, family of 4 either all in the center or 2+2 I've used TP a339 to SSA and was great experience (apart from initial humidification of the cabin that felt cold). I guess lot of Spanish, Italians and maybe French will like this route.

sergegva

Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I have noticed that most TAP flights are still closed to booking on the FlyTAP website, such as flights from Geneva and Zurich. However, these are supposed to resume on July 1st.. What is surprising is that they are sold by several travel agencies, but not directly by TAP... Does anyone have any information about this? It's rather worrying for them...

abrelosojos

Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:20 pm

sergegva wrote:
I have noticed that most TAP flights are still closed to booking on the FlyTAP website, such as flights from Geneva and Zurich. However, these are supposed to resume on July 1st.. What is surprising is that they are sold by several travel agencies, but not directly by TAP... Does anyone have any information about this? It's rather worrying for them...

= Strange. I went to their site, and can clearly see both ZRH-LIS and GVA-LIS bookable. BTW, why use a travel agency in 2020?

Saludos,
Alex
Live, and let live.

Westerwaelder

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:19 pm

airbazar wrote:
abrelosojos wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Smart move.

Saludos,
Alex

That might well be the case for US domestic flights. On longer longhaul routes such as South Africa to Europe or Europe to South America, most customers prefer overnight flights. They simply don't want to spend 10+ hours during the day on a plane. That goes for leisure as much as for business.

aviationlover7
Topic Author

Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:17 pm

Any further updates on TAP's rescue package?

airbazar

Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:19 pm

aviationlover7 wrote:
Any further updates on TAP's rescue package?

Yup. The EU has approved and the government has agreed to pump 1.2 billion Euro for now but it has asked for some concessions. Mostly they want to have more say in executive decisions. TAP will also have to submit a restructuring plan that mostly centers around reducing fleet size and employee numbers. IIRC, there should be more details on the restructuring by next week.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos