Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adv40624
Topic Author

Anchorage (ANC) become the world’s busiest airport in the midst of coronavirus

Sun May 03, 2020 5:05 am

On Saturday, ANC was the world’s busiest airport for aircraft operations. This points to how significantly the global aviation system has changed and highlights the significance of our role in the global economy and fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. pic.twitter.com/z34ZmjoaKL
To put it into perspective, on Saturday, April 25, Anchorage (ANC) had 948 airport arrivals and departures, whereas London (LHR) had just 682 arrivals and departures, according to FlightRadar data.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/t ... d=msedgdhp

CaptHadley

Re: Anchorage (ANC) become the world’s busiest airport in the midst of coronavirus

Sun May 03, 2020 5:34 am

They always say, third times the charm!

32andBelow

Re: Anchorage (ANC) become the world’s busiest airport in the midst of coronavirus

Sun May 03, 2020 5:55 am

It just hasn’t lost as much traffic as everyone else since it’s kept/increase to cargo. Still only 73% of normal.

flyPIT

Sun May 03, 2020 6:33 am

Along with all the cargo ops ANC has a lot of bug smashers, which has not experienced the same level of drop off as the scheduled carriers.
FLYi

devron

Sun May 03, 2020 8:06 am

Amazing, for an airport that doesn't even have a lounge in the international terminal and only a few stores.

32andBelow

Sun May 03, 2020 8:10 am

devron wrote:
Amazing, for an airport that doesn't even have a lounge in the international terminal and only a few stores.

I don’t think box haulers need a Lounge.

SwissCanuck

Sun May 03, 2020 8:51 am

32andBelow wrote:
devron wrote:

I don’t think box haulers need a Lounge.

Hey cargo pilots are people too! :) (Joke, I'm sure they have a lounge, or at least access to a coffee machine)

enilria

Sun May 03, 2020 11:16 am

adv40624 wrote:
On Saturday, ANC was the world’s busiest airport for aircraft operations. This points to how significantly the global aviation system has changed and highlights the significance of our role in the global economy and fight against the COVID-19 pandemic. pic.twitter.com/z34ZmjoaKL
To put it into perspective, on Saturday, April 25, Anchorage (ANC) had 948 airport arrivals and departures, whereas London (LHR) had just 682 arrivals and departures, according to FlightRadar data.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/t ... d=msedgdhp

Memphis???

I suspect this was just for one day because Fedex doesn’t run a full schedule on Saturday. Lame.

crownvic

Anchorage and the Heavy Antonovs

Sun May 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Looks like its a spotters delight this week at Anchorage. Along with a plethora of 747 and 777 freightes the Antonovs have been busy there this week as well. Multiple visits with the AN-225 and AN-124's too. All 3 within 6 hours of each other. I noticed too the huge increase in activitiy with a heavy landing in some cases almost every 2-3 minutes...

NameOmitted

Sun May 03, 2020 2:59 pm

enilria wrote:
Memphis???

I suspect this was just for one day because Fedex doesn’t run a full schedule on Saturday. Lame.

Not lame, rather sprightly PR.

Anchorage is a city made livable by its parks and trails. The airport wants to relate the most high profile trail. Additionally, for the last two summers, the North/South runway has been undergoing major repairs, which meant many more takeoffs East over the city and our outdoor recreation.

Anchorage residents are probably more aware of the challenges of a supply chain than those of most Western cities, it's useful for us to have a reminder of how impotent our airport is, especially given how badly the coronavirus is looking to utterly ruin our overall economy.

Headlines like "Busiest Airport in the World" an "New Freight Facilities Planned with X Jobs Expected" play well.

enilria

Sun May 03, 2020 5:22 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
enilria wrote:
Memphis???

Not lame, rather sprightly PR.

Anchorage is a city made livable by its parks and trails. The airport wants to relate the most high profile trail. Additionally, for the last two summers, the North/South runway has been undergoing major repairs, which meant many more takeoffs East over the city and our outdoor recreation.

Anchorage residents are probably more aware of the challenges of a supply chain than those of most Western cities, it's useful for us to have a reminder of how impotent our airport is, especially given how badly the coronavirus is looking to utterly ruin our overall economy.

Headlines like "Busiest Airport in the World" an "New Freight Facilities Planned with X Jobs Expected" play well.

OK not lame, dishonest. Being the largest airport in the world one day per week and not the largest airport in the world six days per week does not make you the largest airport in the world.

flyPIT

Sun May 03, 2020 5:38 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
The airport wants to relate the most high profile trail.

? What does this mean?

enilria wrote:
OK not lame, dishonest. Being the largest airport in the world one day per week and not the largest airport in the world six days per week does not make you the largest airport in the world.

What's dishonest about it? They were the busiest airport last Saturday and have stated such. They may very well have been the busiest yesterday as well, and the next several Saturdays and perhaps some Sundays going forward. In fact now that it is the beginning of May and general aviation gets back in season I wouldn't be surprised if ANC is the busiest airport in the world on a monthly basis all summer long.

Furthermore, no one claimed ANC to be the largest airport in the world. Far from it. You want to say ANC is dishonest while at the same time not understanding the difference between "largest" and "busiest".
FLYi

Ziyulu

Sun May 03, 2020 5:44 pm

In the 80s, a lot of Asia flights stopped in ANC. Was ANC busy back then?

Chugach

Sun May 03, 2020 5:49 pm

flyPIT wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

? What does this mean?

10+ years ago ANC wanted to build a second N/S runway that would have displaced the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail along Knik and Turnagain Arms. The plan was scrapped when somebody realized that four runways at ANC would be a laughable amount of overcapacity.

jreeves96

Sun May 03, 2020 5:51 pm

I've been flying in between Anchorage, Incheon, Shanghai, and Taipei City doing PPE runs and I believe it. As I'm typing this I'm looking at a fairly full ramp from my hotel in Anchorage. A few AN-124s have been through recently, the AN-225 was here yesterday. A lot of cargo is coming through.

Kilopond

Sun May 03, 2020 5:52 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
[...]Headlines like "Busiest Airport in the World" an "New Freight Facilities Planned with X Jobs Expected" play well.

ÂNC does not handle much freight and never will. They just use a methodological trick in order to appear very high in the statistics: every single ton of every freighter‘s load gets counted as "ANC cargo“ although the vast majority of planes just stops for fuel.

MIflyer12

Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 pm

enilria wrote:

adv40624 wrote:

So, what does FedEx operate out of MEM on a 'good' day to compare with that?

CaptainObvious1

Sun May 03, 2020 5:58 pm

This ranks up there with the thread last week that DL is now the largest in New York.

Will we see a PR push when ANC has the lowest passenger counts during the busy summer tourism season since XXXX.

The fact that oil is at the prices it is right now and the tourism season will be non-existent should be obvious larger concerns for the State, especially some of the small villages who get their entire revenue in four months during the summer.

Captain Obvious.

flyPIT

Sun May 03, 2020 6:06 pm

Chugach wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

? What does this mean?

10+ years ago ANC wanted to build a second N/S runway that would have displaced the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail along Knik and Turnagain Arms. The plan was scrapped when somebody realized that four runways at ANC would be a laughable amount of overcapacity.

While the existing Tony Knowles trail would technically have been “displaced” in that area as part of the required landfill for the new runway, IIRC the new runway development would have included a new trail along the “new” shoreline.

As for overcapacity, when the winds are howling from the north or south ANC is a single runway operation and a parallel is sorely needed during those times.
FLYi

Revelation

Sun May 03, 2020 7:22 pm

NameOmitted wrote:

How about "The Best Selling Consumer Product In The World Is Bum Wipe"? Quick, call the advertising firms!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

9Patch

Sun May 03, 2020 7:41 pm

Kilopond wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
[...]Headlines like "Busiest Airport in the World" an "New Freight Facilities Planned with X Jobs Expected" play well.

ÂNC does not handle much freight and never will. They just use a methodological trick in order to appear very high in the statistics: every single ton of every freighter‘s load gets counted as "ANC cargo“ although the vast majority of planes just stops for fuel.

But all that cargo still has to land and take off, making the airport 'busy'.

NameOmitted

Sun May 03, 2020 8:21 pm

flyPIT wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

? What does this mean?.

It means I shouldn't post from my phone. "Relocate." As explained below, it's not going to happen. It would involve building a new runway 50 feet off the end of a 100-foot bluff. The cost is eye-watering for a port authority that includes FAI which could re-fuel freighters just as easily as ANC.

Local politicians still do dream, however.

EA CO AS

Sun May 03, 2020 8:28 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
it's useful for us to have a reminder of how impotent our airport is, especially given how badly the coronavirus is looking to utterly ruin our overall economy.

I'm guessing you meant "important" rather than "impotent"... ;)
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

marcogr12

Sun May 03, 2020 8:35 pm

jreeves96 wrote:
I've been flying in between Anchorage, Incheon, Shanghai, and Taipei City doing PPE runs and I believe it. As I'm typing this I'm looking at a fairly full ramp from my hotel in Anchorage. A few AN-124s have been through recently, the AN-225 was here yesterday. A lot of cargo is coming through.

what are PPE runs??
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

LAX772LR

Sun May 03, 2020 8:47 pm

Kilopond wrote:

Meh, how's that conceptually different than the likes of ATL and DXB claiming to be the world's busiest pax airport, and int'l pax airport respectively?
....when the overwhelming majority of the traffic going through them is being generated elsewhere and just stopping over with them.

ANC never claimed to be the largest cargo O&D source, and neither have the likes of MEM, or SDF, or any number of other busy cargo airports.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

LAX772LR

Sun May 03, 2020 8:49 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
what are PPE runs??

delivering Personal Protection Equipment (e.g. masks, gloves, hazmat suits, etc) as cargo

Velocity7

Sun May 03, 2020 8:51 pm

marcogr12 wrote:
jreeves96 wrote:

what are PPE runs??

Assuming Personal Protective Equipment

Chugach

Sun May 03, 2020 8:55 pm

flyPIT wrote:
Chugach wrote:
flyPIT wrote:
? What does this mean?

While the existing Tony Knowles trail would technically have been “displaced” in that area as part of the required landfill for the new runway, IIRC the new runway development would have included a new trail along the “new” shoreline.

As for overcapacity, when the winds are howling from the north or south ANC is a single runway operation and a parallel is sorely needed during those times.

Eh, I’d say that even when the winds are that bad it’s still not much of a wait to land or take off. I’ve flown in and out of that airport very regularly for almost 30 years and can probably recall less than ten times I’ve had to wait more than 10 minutes to take off. ATC does a good job getting folks in and out of there. It also helps that you don’t get the big banks of connections at ANC that other airports with similar traffic have. FedEx and UPS are banked but it’s not really a huge number of flights when you look at it, and the AS hub there isn’t really what I would call banked for connections, with the exception of redeye madness.

32andBelow

Sun May 03, 2020 9:02 pm

Kilopond wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

Ups and fedex certainly sort a lot of cargo at anchorage.

LAX772LR

Sun May 03, 2020 9:09 pm

CaptainObvious1 wrote:
This ranks up there with the thread last week that DL is now the largest in New York.

How?

DL has long been the largest airline in New York proper, and run a close second (and on a few rare days even bested) UA for largest in the greater NYC metro.

Sokol

Sun May 03, 2020 10:12 pm

AN-225 Landing in Anchorage ANC!
https://youtu.be/jFvJgxQQXk4

flyPIT

Mon May 04, 2020 12:12 am

Here are the annual number of takeoffs and landings at ANC, MEM, and SDF, for those saying "What about MEM?":

ANC 262,000 (2016)
MEM 226,000 (2018)
SDF 170,000 (2019)

So even during normal times ANC is quite a bit busier than the other two. This confirms my suspicion that the cargo impact is secondary and ANC's newly found ranking is primarily due to the high amount of small aircraft and Part 135 operations, which increase significantly as the Spring and Summer come locally, and which has not receded as much as the scheduled Part 121 passenger operations nationally.

NameOmitted wrote:
It means I shouldn't post from my phone. "Relocate." As explained below, it's not going to happen. It would involve building a new runway 50 feet off the end of a 100-foot bluff. The cost is eye-watering for a port authority that includes FAI which could re-fuel freighters just as easily as ANC.

The cost for this runway is indeed eye-watering. Revenue generated by an airport must remain at the airport (as opposed to going to the city's general fund). ANC should be flush with cash considering all revenue generated from landing fees which are often calculated at an aircraft's MTOW and the high number of heavy aircraft arrivals at ANC. They totally reconstructed all three major runways over the past 5 years or so, and it seemed none of them really needed it. In other words, ANC seems to spend money for the sake of spending money.

Anyway, for those wondering what we are talking about the proposed runway is in the airport's current master plan:
http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/about/docs/Appendix%20K_Airport%20Layout%20Plan_Final.pdf

Chugach wrote:
Eh, I’d say that even when the winds are that bad it’s still not much of a wait to land or take off. I’ve flown in and out of that airport very regularly for almost 30 years and can probably recall less than ten times I’ve had to wait more than 10 minutes to take off. ATC does a good job getting folks in and out of there. It also helps that you don’t get the big banks of connections at ANC that other airports with similar traffic have. FedEx and UPS are banked but it’s not really a huge number of flights when you look at it, and the AS hub there isn’t really what I would call banked for connections, with the exception of redeye madness.

I'll respectably disagree. In fact I'll go as far as saying ANC almost looks like LGA in the mid afternoon when they are down to one runway. Here's a pic taken by yours truly. So here's six 747s in the pic making their way to rwy 15 and there were 3-4 more a/c in line behind Asiana not in the pic. That was about a 45 minute wait for number 9 or 10 to take off. Remember, they were also landing on 15 to include the required wake turbulence separation behind heavies. It seems in this situation they favor keeping landing traffic flowing so it could mean 2-3 arrivals in between every takeoff. As a crew member based in ANC for the past 10 years I can say 30+ minute waits to take off are the norm in the afternoon with only one runway.

Keep in mind there are FIVE separate large cargo expansion projects in the works:

The UPS expansion featured in the below article, plus:

"• Shipping giant FedEx proposes to build a 98,000-square-foot domestic operations center, part of a $57 million project, the state announced in August. FedEx can then increase international shipments at existing facilities.

• 6A-XL Aviation Alaska, owned by Maryland-based company 6A Aviation Inc., has proposed two projects at $170 million each. They include one new cargo warehouse at 500,000 square feet and a second warehouse at 300,000 square feet.

• Alaska Cargo and Cold Storage, backed by Anchorage firm McKinley Capital Management, is proposing a 700,000-square-foot cold storage and general warehouse space, a $200 million project. That could facilitate shipments of Alaska seafood and peonies, as well as fruits and vegetables from South America and California to Asia.
"
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/12/06/ups-plans-major-cargo-expansion-at-anchorage-airport/

ANC is only gonna get busier when times are normal again.
FLYi

32andBelow

Mon May 04, 2020 12:22 am

flyPIT wrote:
Here are the annual number of takeoffs and landings at ANC, MEM, and SDF, for those saying "What about MEM?":

ANC 262,000 (2016)
MEM 226,000 (2018)
SDF 170,000 (2019)

So even during normal times ANC is quite a bit busier than the other two. This confirms my suspicion that the cargo impact is secondary and ANC's newly found ranking is primarily due to the high amount of small aircraft and Part 135 operations, which increase significantly as the Spring and Summer come locally, and which has not receded as much as the scheduled Part 121 passenger operations nationally.

NameOmitted wrote:

The cost for this runway is indeed eye-watering. Revenue generated by an airport must remain at the airport (as opposed to going to the city's general fund). ANC should be flush with cash considering all revenue generated from landing fees which are often calculated at an aircraft's MTOW and the high number of heavy aircraft arrivals at ANC. They totally reconstructed all three major runways over the past 5 years or so, and it seemed none of them really needed it. In other words, ANC seems to spend money for the sake of spending money.

Anyway, for those wondering what we are talking about the proposed runway is in the airport's current master plan:
http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/about/docs/Appendix%20K_Airport%20Layout%20Plan_Final.pdf

Chugach wrote:

I'll respectably disagree. In fact I'll go as far as saying ANC almost looks like LGA in the mid afternoon when they are down to one runway. Here's a pic taken by yours truly. So here's six 747s in the pic making their way to rwy 15 and there were 3-4 more a/c in line behind Asiana not in the pic. That was about a 45 minute wait for number 9 or 10 to take off. Remember, they were also landing on 15 to include the required wake turbulence separation behind heavies. It seems in this situation they favor keeping landing traffic flowing so it could mean 2-3 arrivals in between every takeoff. As a crew member based in ANC for the past 10 years I can say 30+ minute waits to take off are the norm in the afternoon with only one runway.

Keep in mind there are FIVE separate large cargo expansion projects in the works:

The UPS expansion featured in the below article, plus:

"• Shipping giant FedEx proposes to build a 98,000-square-foot domestic operations center, part of a $57 million project, the state announced in August. FedEx can then increase international shipments at existing facilities.

• 6A-XL Aviation Alaska, owned by Maryland-based company 6A Aviation Inc., has proposed two projects at $170 million each. They include one new cargo warehouse at 500,000 square feet and a second warehouse at 300,000 square feet.

• Alaska Cargo and Cold Storage, backed by Anchorage firm McKinley Capital Management, is proposing a 700,000-square-foot cold storage and general warehouse space, a $200 million project. That could facilitate shipments of Alaska seafood and peonies, as well as fruits and vegetables from South America and California to Asia.
"
https://www.adn.com/business-economy/2019/12/06/ups-plans-major-cargo-expansion-at-anchorage-airport/

ANC is only gonna get busier when times are normal again.

It’s pretty rare that they have to go straight 15s. In fact 15 has been closed the last 2 summers and we never had to shut down the airport due to wind. As an anchorage resident that works in aviation I value the coastline trail higher than the wait these aircraft have to make a couple times a year.

flyPIT

Mon May 04, 2020 12:44 am

32andBelow wrote:
It’s pretty rare that they have to go straight 15s. In fact 15 has been closed the last 2 summers and we never had to shut down the airport due to wind. As an anchorage resident that works in aviation I value the coastline trail higher than the wait these aircraft have to make a couple times a year.

While the airport may not have ever *closed* during that period, IIRC there were plenty of delays, wind shear go-arounds and subsequent diversions. Besides, winter is when the winds really kick up. I'd say overall about 10% of my landings have been on 15.

I value the coastal trail as well but as already stated it would be included in any expansion, as it should.

"Ted Stevens Anchorage International AirportMaster Plan UpdateDecember 20141 Appendix F - Tony Knowles Coastal Trail Guiding Principles SECTION 1TONY KNOWLES COASTAL TRAIL GUIDING PRINCIPLES

The Tony Knowles Coastal Trail (Coastal Trail) is a highly used and important community resource in Anchorage. During the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (Airport) Master Plan Update (Master Plan Update) process, many comments were made on the need to protect and maintain the trail. These draft Tony Knowles Coastal Trail Guiding Principles have been developed for future use in context with the Master Plan Update. The Airport recognizes that should future Airport development impact the trail, mitigations and improvements should be considered in light of these guiding principles. Trail continuity is essential to meet community desires
"
http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/about/docs/Appendix%20F_Coastal%20Trail_Final.pdf
FLYi

32andBelow

Mon May 04, 2020 12:45 am

flyPIT wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

While the airport may not have ever *closed* during that period, IIRC there were plenty of delays, wind shear go-arounds and subsequent diversions. Besides, winter is when the winds really kick up. I'd say overall about 10% of my landings have been on 15.

I value the coastal trail as well but as already stated it would be included in any expansion, as it should.

"Ted Stevens Anchorage International AirportMaster Plan UpdateDecember 20141 Appendix F - Tony Knowles Coastal Trail Guiding Principles SECTION 1TONY KNOWLES COASTAL TRAIL GUIDING PRINCIPLES

The Tony Knowles Coastal Trail (Coastal Trail) is a highly used and important community resource in Anchorage. During the Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport (Airport) Master Plan Update (Master Plan Update) process, many comments were made on the need to protect and maintain the trail. These draft Tony Knowles Coastal Trail Guiding Principles have been developed for future use in context with the Master Plan Update. The Airport recognizes that should future Airport development impact the trail, mitigations and improvements should be considered in light of these guiding principles. Trail continuity is essential to meet community desires
"
http://dot.alaska.gov/anc/about/docs/Appendix%20F_Coastal%20Trail_Final.pdf

Sorry I should say the coastal trail and the park at the pointe.

QXorVX

Mon May 04, 2020 1:02 am

Barring construction projects, how often is ANC limited to arrivals and departures sharing one runway?

Having both FAI and ANC owned by the same organization (State of Alaska), I am not sure what would keep them from trying to get anything over Anchorage's capacity to tech in FAI instead. Obviously advantages of going through ANC (pipeline fuel, larger city, greater on field resources), but compared to the cost and massive impact of a fourth runway it seems like a no brainer. Airports busier than ANC pre-Covid do it with fewer runways as a norm.

And addressing the comments above about 'bug smashers', keep in mind this statistic was earned while Alaska's largest regional carrier's fleet sat parked on the ramp and not flying passengers or cargo.

32andBelow

Mon May 04, 2020 1:15 am

QXorVX wrote:
Barring construction projects, how often is ANC limited to arrivals and departures sharing one runway?

Having both FAI and ANC owned by the same organization (State of Alaska), I am not sure what would keep them from trying to get anything over Anchorage's capacity to tech in FAI instead. Obviously advantages of going through ANC (pipeline fuel, larger city, greater on field resources), but compared to the cost and massive impact of a fourth runway it seems like a no brainer. Airports busier than ANC pre-Covid do it with fewer runways as a norm.

And addressing the comments above about 'bug smashers', keep in mind this statistic was earned while Alaska's largest regional carrier's fleet sat parked on the ramp and not flying passengers or cargo.

Atlas/ups/fedex have crew bases in ANC. The Asian carriers do crew swaps in ANC. You can’t just stop in fai instead. Not easily at least. But it’s not a huge deal since diversions are rare. And now that construction is open that runway should never be closed.

NickLAX

Mon May 04, 2020 2:09 am

Hmmm, interesting to see the warehouses going up - most of the time the current ANC cargo ops never needed that capacity. Most of the time it's no offload of freight at all in ANC and simply crew swaps to allow for the higher payload capacity by doing a stop in ANC vs carrying the fuel and the impact on payload with nonstop to CONUS to/from Asia. One of my old flight friends was an LH Cargo pilot before he retired, they used FAI for the similar higher payload and not carrying fuel vs goods stopover.

CaptainObvious1

Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 am

QXorVX wrote:

When the temperature is -6 F (-21 C) in January it varies what it is called in those two cities.
Anchorage: Cold
Fairbanks: Heat Wave (No Jacket Required)

I'm sure Pike's Lodge would love to have any crew stay there. With their replica Santa Monica Pier sign and the "Love Alaska" sign across the river it would sure be a hit. I miss seeing those terrible commercials. (https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media ... -lodge.jpg)

Obviously, FAI doesn't have the infrastructure in place to handle many 747's thus you would spend money to build out the field as well as needing to increase the DHS staffing just as a start.

CaptainObvious1

Mon May 04, 2020 4:25 am

LAX772LR wrote:
CaptainObvious1 wrote:

How?

DL has long been the largest airline in New York proper, and run a close second (and on a few rare days even bested) UA for largest in the greater NYC metro.

Enjoy: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1445313&p=22182811

LCDFlight

Mon May 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Isn't a large part of the boost to cargo the reduction in passenger flying? Just trying to get some background. It would explain why global air freight might be very hot right now.

airbazar

Mon May 04, 2020 12:44 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
Isn't a large part of the boost to cargo the reduction in passenger flying? Just trying to get some background. It would explain why global air freight might be very hot right now.

Do we know for a fact that there's a been a boost in cargo movements, at least a significant one? I haven't seen anything on this thread that points to that.

KlimaBXsst

Mon May 04, 2020 2:10 pm

Who would ever have guessed Anchorage would receive this title. Kind of unique times, and will be kind of interesting to see what happens to

Cargo in Anchorage as the World moves away from sourcing it’s good from China after this fiasco.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

airnorth

Mon May 04, 2020 4:04 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Who would ever have guessed Anchorage would receive this title. Kind of unique times, and will be kind of interesting to see what happens to

Cargo in Anchorage as the World moves away from sourcing it’s good from China after this fiasco.

I have been advocating this for years now, to bring back some level of manufacturing capacity to North America, however, I doubt we will learn anything from this crisis. It is fascinating to see once mighty industrial superpowers reduced to basically grovelling, and outbidding others just so they can source PPE. It is difficult to grasp that we do not have the basic means to manufacture simple things anymore, and really nobody seems to care , or worry about it. I guess that is the global economy, but it kind of drives me crazy that when I am shopping for anything at all these days, be it power tools, tires, groceries, toys, household goods, it is all made in China. Even companies that used to make really great products locally such as Rigid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc. everything is made off shore, and they will go through great pains to ensue there is a big American flag on the box that will say something like, " Engineered in the USA", or similar, but in small almost unreadable writing, it will say made in China. I say own it, if you do it, if you manufacture off shore, make sure it is in big bold font on the box " Made in China" with a Chinese flag,to show the consumer that they are proud of that rather than flying the American flag in an attempt to curry some kind of patriotism.
I have been voting with my tiny wallet fro years to try and support "local", but boy is it hard to do.

32andBelow

Mon May 04, 2020 4:31 pm

LCDFlight wrote:

There’s always tons of trans pacific cargo flights that come over anchorage. It’s just one of the only sectors that hasn’t seen a downturn during this.

airbazar

Mon May 04, 2020 5:03 pm

airnorth wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

I have been advocating this for years now, to bring back some level of manufacturing capacity to North America, however, I doubt we will learn anything from this crisis. It is fascinating to see once mighty industrial superpowers reduced to basically grovelling, and outbidding others just so they can source PPE. It is difficult to grasp that we do not have the basic means to manufacture simple things anymore, and really nobody seems to care , or worry about it. I guess that is the global economy, but it kind of drives me crazy that when I am shopping for anything at all these days, be it power tools, tires, groceries, toys, household goods, it is all made in China. Even companies that used to make really great products locally such as Rigid, DeWalt, Milwaukee, etc. everything is made off shore, and they will go through great pains to ensue there is a big American flag on the box that will say something like, " Engineered in the USA", or similar, but in small almost unreadable writing, it will say made in China. I say own it, if you do it, if you manufacture off shore, make sure it is in big bold font on the box " Made in China" with a Chinese flag,to show the consumer that they are proud of that rather than flying the American flag in an attempt to curry some kind of patriotism.
I have been voting with my tiny wallet fro years to try and support "local", but boy is it hard to do.

It is made in China in part because China is a big market. It's far more efficient to make products closer to where the consumers are and that's not about to change any time soon. I don't see people complaining that Toyota makes cars in the U.S. or that Airbus makes planes in the U.S. , or that Siemens makes trains in the U.S. Heck even Chinese companies make their own products here when it makes sense: https://www.crrcgc.cc/ma
Not having enough PPE has little relevance to whether we make the product here or not. We run out of toilet paper and it's not like we import toilet paper from China. At the end of the day our chronic lack of foresight and planning for the future is to blame and no amount of manufacturing here or there is going to change that. Every new administration tears down what the previous one did just out of spite, rather than build on it. We're starting over every 4-8 years it seems.

32andBelow

Mon May 04, 2020 5:25 pm

airbazar wrote:
airnorth wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

It is made in China in part because China is a big market. It's far more efficient to make products closer to where the consumers are and that's not about to change any time soon. I don't see people complaining that Toyota makes cars in the U.S. or that Airbus makes planes in the U.S. , or that Siemens makes trains in the U.S. Heck even Chinese companies make their own products here when it makes sense: https://www.crrcgc.cc/ma
Not having enough PPE has little relevance to whether we make the product here or not. We run out of toilet paper and it's not like we import toilet paper from China. At the end of the day our chronic lack of foresight and planning for the future is to blame and no amount of manufacturing here or there is going to change that. Every new administration tears down what the previous one did just out of spite, rather than build on it. We're starting over every 4-8 years it seems.

A lot of the anchorage cargo flights come from Korea and Japan too

Revelation

Mon May 04, 2020 8:49 pm

airnorth wrote:
It is fascinating to see once mighty industrial superpowers reduced to basically grovelling, and outbidding others just so they can source PPE. It is difficult to grasp that we do not have the basic means to manufacture simple things anymore, and really nobody seems to care , or worry about it.

Yes, and there is still no effort at the national level to figure out how to make our own PPE, this is being left to hobbyists in the maker community.

The outbidding each other part is just the "cost of doing business" and a reflection that the investment community doesn't want to invest in making sure essential commodities are available because they can make more money buying tech stocks.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

9Patch

Mon May 04, 2020 9:47 pm

flyPIT wrote:

ANC is owned and operated by the state of Alaska. While it does generate a lot of revenue that money is used to subsidize smaller, loss-making airports across the state.

32andBelow

Tue May 05, 2020 2:03 am

Apparently ANC is getting 33 milli through #cares. Wtf do they need 33 milli for. They just rebuilt all the runways.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos