Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

9lflyguy
Topic Author

African Express Airways Embraer E-120 shot down by RPG

Mon May 04, 2020 8:57 pm

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/afri ... t-missile/

Link above spells out the story. Apparently the aircraft was shot down by an RPG. Two pilots and four passengers who were in the aircraft all died. The crash was confirmed by Southwestern Minister for Transport Hassan Hussein Mohamed.
Flown on: 319, 320, 321, 712, 722, 732, 733, 734, 735, 737, 738, 739, 752, 753, 763, 772, CR2, CR7, CR9, DHA, D8B, D8C, D95, E140, E145, E170, E175, E190, M82, M88, M90, S340

caleb1

Re: African Express Airways Embraer E-120 shot down by RPG

Mon May 04, 2020 9:14 pm

That is horrible!! A terrible senseless tragedy!

as737

Mon May 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Why would they shoot down this plane? Political motives? Or did some person just think that it would be fun to shoot down a plane?

Ishrion

Mon May 04, 2020 9:25 pm

This aircraft used to be owned by Comair/Delta Connection until 2013: https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-e120-259.htm

Jetty

Mon May 04, 2020 9:35 pm

as737 wrote:
Why would they shoot down this plane? Political motives? Or did some person just think that it would be fun to shoot down a plane?

There are reports in the news that this plane was carrying Khat, which is haram according to the Somalian Islamic militants of Al-Shabaab. Thus it might be something else as well. https://www.kahawatungu.com/kenyan-airc ... ssion=true

Spacepope

Mon May 04, 2020 11:32 pm

Twitter buzz was that Ethiopian troops shot it down. Plane was at nearly 3000 foot altitude (much to high for RPG-7 shot) and wreckage photos show a cargo of medical supplies and mosquito netting. Reportedly a humanitarian flight.

https://twitter.com/HarunMaruf/status/1 ... 1179742217
The last of the famous international playboys

LimaFoxTango

Mon May 04, 2020 11:43 pm

Wow, a plane is shot out the sky and not a blimp on the media. Is it because it happened in Africa?
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

usflyer msp

Tue May 05, 2020 12:45 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Wow, a plane is shot out the sky and not a blimp on the media. Is it because it happened in Africa?

Most Americans will shrug and say such activity is to be expected in Somalia.

Chasensfo

Tue May 05, 2020 12:50 am

A humanitarian flight?! What could the motivation be for that? Horrible.

peterinlisbon

Tue May 05, 2020 12:53 am

LimaFoxTango wrote:

I was shocked by this event until I got to the part where it said Somalia. Then I was just surprised that anyone would even try to fly over those areas. Somalia has been a warzone since the 1970s with different areas controlled by rival militias.

Why isn't it in the media? I'm sure it will be, but right now the equivalent of 100 plane crashes are happening every day and people are worried for their own lives.

MD8090orDRIVE

Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 am

My guess on why so little media, low death total and the word COVID is not in the story

rfields5421

Tue May 05, 2020 4:04 am

as737 wrote:

Spacepope wrote:
,,,,and wreckage photos show a cargo of medical supplies and mosquito netting. Reportedly a humanitarian flight.

Mistaken identity? The flight left Mogadishu headed close to the border region from what little I can discover on maps. At altitude, anyone who can get a target lock on an aircraft cannot really identify what the plane is, who is flying it, etc. If it is flying it is 'OBVIOUSLY' hostile, because 'we' don't have airplanes.

RPG - people don't know what a 'RPG' really is, nor do they know the difference between one and a SA-7/ SA-18/ Stinger/ LAWS. If it is able to be fired from a single person's shoulder it is an "RPG" to much of the world. And there are plenty of weapons of that type in the region.

Medical supplies/ humanitarian flight - to much of the world, food, medical supplies and such are military supplies. Because they go to people who may support the enemy. Just keeping enemy civilians alive and somewhat healthy hurts their cause.

No, I don't personally think that way. I think it is sick and disgusting.

And that is also an example of my first world biases, because I don't realize or know the 'truths' of the fight for survival in those areas. To much of the world. I and people who think such aircraft are not legitimate targets, are just a bunch of rich a....holes who have everything handed to us on a platter.
Not all who wander are lost.

Ionosphere

Tue May 05, 2020 4:13 am

Ishrion wrote:
This aircraft used to be owned by Comair/Delta Connection until 2013: https://www.airfleets.net/ficheapp/plane-e120-259.htm

Weird that it flew again after being stored for 11 years

FiscAutTecGarte

Tue May 05, 2020 4:37 am

The African continent has so much potential. I wish it could be managed for all common good. It's heartbreaking to read of senseless tragedies like this one.
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

tu204

Tue May 05, 2020 5:14 am

No way someone could take out an aircraft flying at 3000ft (that's 1km) with an RPG. Heck it's pretty difficult to hit a car/truck moving at 50km/h with an RPG.

MANPAD (Strela, Igla, Stinger) - whole different story.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

outbackair

Tue May 05, 2020 5:34 am

MD8090orDRIVE wrote:
My guess on why so little media, low death total and the word COVID is not in the story

Really? It's known as 'Indian bus crash syndrome'. When a bus crashes in India with 50+ deaths, world media doesn't care, not reported. When a helicopter, business jet crashes with sports people/musician, or a commuter plane with 20 on board, it's big news in the west.

hooverman

Tue May 05, 2020 6:27 am

Every loss of innocent life is a tragedy.

outbackair wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

Really? It's known as 'Indian bus crash syndrome'. When a bus crashes in India with 50+ deaths, world media doesn't care, not reported. When a helicopter, business jet crashes with sports people/musician, or a commuter plane with 20 on board, it's big news in the west.

Fake news. I just typed “accident india” into a well known Dutch newspaper and got dozens of articles about India this year alone. Typed bus accident india into google and saw that almost every newspaper reported about it.

airhansa

Tue May 05, 2020 7:12 am

The plane needs to have some geopolitical angle to it. There are a large number of airplane crashes are go unnoticed in western media, the ones that do are generally driven there by geopolitical tensions in the Middle East or CIS. The geopolitics of the African continent are meaningless to Asia and the West, whereas the Middle East shares a border with both continents.

rfields5421

Wed May 06, 2020 12:54 pm

outbackair wrote:
MD8090orDRIVE wrote:

There is a concept in human communications studies know as 'proximity'.

Basically, news is usually defined by people as something which directly impacts them, and the closer such events are physically to someone, the more 'importance' a person places upon that event.

It is not that the media ignores a story, but with all the hundreds of stories available, a decision has to be made 'what is of interest to my audience'.

Unfortunately there are enough tragic occurrences every day across the entire world to fill the information channels completely. Do you only want to hear news of deaths of people across the world and NOTHING else all day?

Other then being heartbreaking stories of loss, and every death is a terrible loss to someone, do you want to hear news about what impacts YOUR individual life?

Information bandwidth is limited - the amount of information that an individual person can absorb. With today's resources, we have a tremendous ability to customize our individual choices of what information we personally believe is important.

However, none of us are in the BUSINESS of making money by providing information in a format for great numbers of people to absorb. Editors have to use their judgement to select what very limited information they can present to people within a very limited time.

The world media generally does not downgrade information based upon location. The individual editors do that, based on their perceptions of what they consumers of their media want to hear about, and what will attract the most readers/ viewers. Most news media outlets are FOR PROFIT businesses. They will only exists as long as they can attract enough readers/ viewers.

-------------------------

Secondary, but very important, is the availability of information. I've only been able to find about three stories about this crash. Because of location access, regional conflicts or whatever other reasons, no NEW information about this crash is being posted that I can find. For a story to have continued 'urgency' in the news media, there must be new information daily.

Frankly, Twitter posts are a horribly unreliable, biased, distorted source of information about news events. Most of those that I have found are not NEWS, they are OPINION, at best, and speculation and falsehoods mainly.

If the local news media resources do not feed factual information into the wider regional news agencies, the story dies quickly.
Not all who wander are lost.

asdf

Wed May 06, 2020 8:06 pm

Chasensfo wrote:

well .... they try to help the inhabitants there ...

andz

Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm

asdf wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

I think the question was what could the motivation be to shoot down a humanitarian flight, however without inside information how would you know what is on the plane?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Chasensfo

Sat May 09, 2020 7:29 am

andz wrote:
asdf wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:

I think the question was what could the motivation be to shoot down a humanitarian flight, however without inside information how would you know what is on the plane?

Exactly. Usually, the war is not with the very citizens that a terror group hopes to sway to their cause, but to inflict damage on the population in ways that create distrust in the government's ability to keep it's population safe. Seeing as shoot downs are not common in Somalia, I would not at all be surprised if this aircraft had been specifically targeted for it's mission, but, why an aircraft full of humanitarian supplies? That does not seem to fall in line with the usual terror attacks in the region.

mxaxai

Sat May 09, 2020 4:31 pm

There's an update on AvHerald, which itself refers to a preliminary report of the African Union Mission Somilia (AMISOM), who are stationed in Somalia for peacekeeping purposes. Apparently, it was not local militia but instead Ethopian troops who misidentified the aircraft as hostile, since they were not expecting any arrivals. http://avherald.com/h?article=4d6de1d4&opt=0
That would make it the second case of "shoot first, ask later" this year.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos