Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
raylee67
Topic Author
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:06 pm

CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 2:21 pm

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

While we will most likely not be seeing them flying pax again and that the 747 is definitely at the tail end of its long career, it's heartwarming to see this beloved invention back from 50 years ago becoming literally the lifeline of the world.

Think about it, with almost all international pax flights gone, not just the much needed PPEs and masks reaching hospitals around the world everyday, but the asparagus from Peru, the seafood from Australia, the milk from New Zealand, the beef from Argentina and the salmon from Norway that reach your dinner table now, probably have been on one or more 747F in part of their journey. It's bad enough now, but it would have been much worse if we don't have these 747Fs flying full force right now.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS
 
LGWGate49
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 3:05 pm

Do we know how many B742s are still helping out? I've seen two Geo-Sky B742s out and about today and wondered if there were many others?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gen
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gem
Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it
 
CX747
Posts: 6245
Joined: Tue May 18, 1999 2:54 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 3:36 pm

Awesome to see the Queen rocking and rolling during this crisis. It would be great to see some actual photos of 747-200Fs still plying their trade.

Wonder if new orders materialize for 747-8Fs, should the cargo requirements of the world continue to call for such highly daily utilization rates.
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower
 
braniff2hav
Posts: 215
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:20 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 3:59 pm

Sure!
Western Global has a 747-400 in MVD as I type and it's headed to MIA today. It's been going to and fro MIA and Chile and Uruaguay lately.
 
User avatar
glideslope
Posts: 1608
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 8:06 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 4:19 pm

Great link. I've been observing this on Flight 24. Set your filter to between 18,000-35,000' and it's all 747F/767F for the most part flying all over the globe. Simply amazing, while also being a somber reminder of things........
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.” Sun Tzu
 
User avatar
FLALEFTY
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:33 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 6:34 pm

I have been doing some virtual spotting of MIA using this cool camera site:

https://www.miamiairportcam.com

There has been a fair increase in B744F's, especially at night. Also, you have to give a big shout out to the B767BCF's, of which MIA sees many.
 
Ziyulu
Posts: 857
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:35 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 7:24 pm

Are there any 777 and 787 cargo planes?
 
2175301
Posts: 1766
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:19 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 7:34 pm

Ziyulu wrote:
Are there any 777 and 787 cargo planes?


There is the 777F; a factory built freighter. It's quite popular as a new cargo aircraft. There as of yet are no 777P2F conversions flying. I understand at least one company is working on that. It's a costly conversion due to the passenger floor not being strong enough for cargo.

There is no 787F yet. The 787 was designed for future freighter use when the passenger model slows down - and if there is a likely demand for them at the time.

Edited to add that Wiki says 183 777F at this stage - with 48 ordered and not yet delivered.
 
ltbewr
Posts: 15107
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Tue May 05, 2020 9:49 pm

The queen of the skies is now the queen of the freighters. The 747F's have the advantage of some with the nose loading for large cargo items, with cheap fuel prices airlines can still make money. No doubt the 777F's will be taking over, with their similar capacity and greater efficiency, but for the now and for a few more years (maybe a few until 2050 ?), the 747 will still be a critical part of air freight.
 
LGWGate49
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 11:00 am

LGWGate49 wrote:
Do we know how many B742s are still helping out? I've seen two Geo-Sky B742s out and about today and wondered if there were many others?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gen
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gem


To answer my own question Qeshm Fars Air reg EP-FAA is also in the air right now:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/ep-faa
Look for the ridiculous in everything, and you will find it
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 11:31 am

CNN chose to highlight the B747 but in reality, all freighters have more or less been flying non stop the past two months! Plus there are many pax airliners still flying with cargo only. At my local airport, I am seeing a lot of MD-11Fs, pax A330s and B767/777Fs in addition to B747s. It is a great time to be plane spotting freighters and other airlines that do not normally fly their widebody planes here!

While we are at it, do not forget the An-124/An-225 that are also shutting medical supplies around!
 
kiowa
Posts: 731
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:37 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 12:20 pm

CNN sure likes to say “hero”.
 
IWMBH
Posts: 612
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:01 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 12:33 pm

LGWGate49 wrote:
Do we know how many B742s are still helping out? I've seen two Geo-Sky B742s out and about today and wondered if there were many others?

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gen
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/4l-gem


According to Planespotters.net there are 9 742's in active commercial service.
But, most of these planes are active in Iran and Georgia and I can't tell when they flew for the last time.
 
User avatar
flee
Posts: 1277
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:14 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 12:59 pm

CX747 wrote:
Wonder if new orders materialize for 747-8Fs, should the cargo requirements of the world continue to call for such highly daily utilization rates.

Boeing's supply chain for the 747 has closed down. They will no longer make the 747 once the existing backlog (IIRC, it is 14 more frames) is completed.
 
DUSdude
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 4:20 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm

One should add that the 747 has done heroic work as the go-to aircraft for repatriation flights for several carriers in this crisis. LH in particular has leaned heavily on both the 744 and the 748 for these missions.
 
carlokiii
Posts: 182
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:03 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 5:29 pm

It’s fitting that the 747 gets to fully live on and prosper ‘til its end as what it was originally envisioned to be - a freighter.
 
airzona11
Posts: 1744
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 5:43 pm

carlokiii wrote:
It’s fitting that the 747 gets to fully live on and prosper ‘til its end as what it was originally envisioned to be - a freighter.


Great call out! Very cool indeed.
 
blooc350
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm

gas guzzling old thing needs to retire lol
 
Boeing727
Posts: 856
Joined: Sat May 22, 1999 1:32 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 6:56 pm

There are 12 B744F/-8F over the Pacific Ocean for UPS alone @ 02:50EDT...
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 8:13 pm

blooc350 wrote:
gas guzzling old thing needs to retire lol

I'm afraid to burst your bubble, if we exclude planes that were written off, there have been around 5 or less factory built 744Fs that have been retired. Such a useful plane considering that almost all of Airbus airliners are not flying now (less than 5% are flying) and a slightly greater % for Boeing pax only planes that are still flying.
Last edited by jeffrey0032j on Wed May 06, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
CaptainObvious1
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:22 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Wed May 06, 2020 9:27 pm

jeffrey0032j wrote:
blooc350 wrote:
gas guzzling old thing needs to retire lol

I'm afraid to burst your bubble, if we exclude planes that were written off, there have been around 5 or less factory built 744Fs that have been retired. Such a useful plane considering that almost all of Airbus airliners are not flying now (less than 5% are flying) and a slightly greater % for Boeing pax only planes that are still flying.


Where do you get these numbers?

Stored B744F: L/N 1372, 1376, 1411, 1418, 1338, 1319, 1312, 1254, 1252, 1065, 1002, 1087, 1285, 1036...
These are delivered as Freighters and not converted and it is way more than the 5 you mention above.
Source: https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 47/747-400

There are exactly 5 stored B747-8F
Source: https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... /747/747-8
 
jeffrey0032j
Posts: 783
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:11 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Thu May 07, 2020 8:33 am

CaptainObvious1 wrote:
jeffrey0032j wrote:
blooc350 wrote:
gas guzzling old thing needs to retire lol

I'm afraid to burst your bubble, if we exclude planes that were written off, there have been around 5 or less factory built 744Fs that have been retired. Such a useful plane considering that almost all of Airbus airliners are not flying now (less than 5% are flying) and a slightly greater % for Boeing pax only planes that are still flying.


Where do you get these numbers?

Stored B744F: L/N 1372, 1376, 1411, 1418, 1338, 1319, 1312, 1254, 1252, 1065, 1002, 1087, 1285, 1036...
These are delivered as Freighters and not converted and it is way more than the 5 you mention above.
Source: https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... 47/747-400

There are exactly 5 stored B747-8F
Source: https://www.planespotters.net/productio ... /747/747-8

I stand corrected, but my last check was in December, before ABC decided to close down (substantial fleet of more than 15), now they seem to be restarting ops. So my numbers will be correct if they restart full ops. Furthermore, even if they don't go back to full ops, the factory built 744Fs are usually quickly snapped up. Even "undesirable" frames such as the Jade Cargo ones have found new homes fairly quickly after auction.

As for 748Fs, 2 of the SV are listed as stored but the photos in their frame info pages suggests they are back flying since late last year.
 
LY777
Posts: 2573
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Thu May 07, 2020 9:13 am

The Queen will always be the Queen !
Flown:717,727,732,733,734,735,738,73H,742/744/748,752,753,762/2ER/763/3ER,772/77E/773/77W, 788, 789, DC8,DC10,E190,E195,MD83,MD88, L1011, A3B2,A319,A320-100/200,A321,A332/A333,A343,A388
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 13205
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Thu May 07, 2020 4:29 pm

blooc350 wrote:
gas guzzling old thing needs to retire lol

As a pax airliner, yes... and that's more or less what's happened.

But as a freighter, it still very much has its place. One could even argue: its ruling place.

Then again, this fluff piece could've just as easily been written (and deservedly so) about the MD11 as well.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8759
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Mon May 11, 2020 4:59 am

WGN's N344KD has been at SHV (WGN's maintenance shop) since the night before Christmas, after helping out at Peak. They've been trying to get her back in the air for a couple of weeks, including an aborted flight to ANC on 5/2, and two short (and aborted) test flights on Friday and Saturday of this week. Finally, they did a test flight tonight (Sunday 5/10), and subsequently launched her off for ANC. As of 1:22 into that flight, they're still going, so I guess she's officially Back In Service. WGN has one more 747 that they bought from Atlas a while back and pulled from the desert on 4/2. I guess she'll be next for them to try to prep for service.

So right now they have 2 functioning 747s and 9 out of 13 MD11s functional. (One broke yesterday, but should be back on the line soonish. The others are in for heavier service.)
 
blandy62
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:47 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Mon May 11, 2020 5:42 am

wjcandee wrote:
WGN's N344KD has been at SHV (WGN's maintenance shop) since the night before Christmas, after helping out at Peak. They've been trying to get her back in the air for a couple of weeks, including an aborted flight to ANC on 5/2, and two short (and aborted) test flights on Friday and Saturday of this week. Finally, they did a test flight tonight (Sunday 5/10), and subsequently launched her off for ANC. As of 1:22 into that flight, they're still going, so I guess she's officially Back In Service. WGN has one more 747 that they bought from Atlas a while back and pulled from the desert on 4/2. I guess she'll be next for them to try to prep for service.

So right now they have 2 functioning 747s and 9 out of 13 MD11s functional. (One broke yesterday, but should be back on the line soonish. The others are in for heavier service.)


We see those WGN MD-11 quite a bit in HKG at the moment :)
 
wjcandee
Posts: 8759
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2000 12:50 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Mon May 11, 2020 7:06 am

Yes indeed! A lot of extra lift. Looks like Cathay Cargo is running hard as well!
 
AirbusA6
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:53 am

Re: CNN: The Boeing 747 is playing a hero's role during Covid-19 crisis

Mon May 11, 2020 12:15 pm

A bit OTT to describe the 747 freighters as heroes!

All sorts of freighters are delivering PPE and other essentials, none of which especially need the 747F's unique nose opening capabilities. Indeed, many passenger planes are currently performing such duties, including ones where the cargo is simply placed on top of the seating

The 747F is a great plane, but if it didn't exist I doubt it would have made a material difference to the fight against COVID if the freight had to go on other types instead
it's the bus to stansted (now renamed National Express a6 to ruin my username)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos