Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

upintheair2019
Topic Author

A380 passenger to 'auxilary freighter'

Tue May 05, 2020 3:54 pm

Lufthansa Technik is working on the first Airbus A380 passenger to cargo conversion. They already have an yet unnamed customer.

https://www.lufthansa-technik.com/press ... nversion-2

ER757

Re: First A380 passenger to cargo conversion

Tue May 05, 2020 4:07 pm

Interesting...the whale may live on :smile:
I wonder if it would be configured as a triple-decker package hauler for the likes of FX or if they might just remove the ceiling of the lower passenger deck, make a large side door and use it as an oversized cargo hauler like the AN-124. Since the AN-225 is getting a lot of work lately, maybe there's a need for another oversize-capable freighter

TUGMASTER

Tue May 05, 2020 4:08 pm

Never saw that coming....
Just seems so long winded to handball a A380 with freight.
Good luck to them I say.

windian425

Tue May 05, 2020 4:09 pm

Was saying that this was the only way for the A380 to survive... Looking forward to this. I also like the idea of a Combi A380 with Cargo on the lower deck and pax on the upper.

konkret

Tue May 05, 2020 4:10 pm

ER757 wrote:
I wonder if it would be configured as a triple-decker package hauler for the likes of FX or if they might just remove the ceiling of the lower passenger deck, make a large side door and use it as an oversized cargo hauler like the AN-124. Since the AN-225 is getting a lot of work lately, maybe there's a need for another oversize-capable freighter

The press release mentions “temporary” conversions.

VCVSpotter

Tue May 05, 2020 4:15 pm

Just read the press release in entirety, and I am not entirely clear on what they mean by cargo conversion. Are they just taking the seats out of an A380? Or are they actually doing permanent work to install a cargo door and turn it into a permanent freighter? It seems like the former, can anyone clarify?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s

ER757

Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 pm

konkret wrote:
ER757 wrote:

It also mentions that there's a lot more to the conversion than just removing seats - strengthening the floor, fire suppression etc. My un-educated guess is that if they go through the effort to do the conversion, it's never going back to a passenger configuration - especially a model that has basically zero market in the passenger sector

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 pm

I think to claim the long term survival of the A380 is a bit premature. It's not like Airbus is restarting the program as an F model only. We are only talking about an option that breathes a little more life into existing programs as a P2F conversion of sorts. This opportunity - due to the pandemic - will at least keep the frames from becoming Coke cans as soon as we thought.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

stylo777

Tue May 05, 2020 4:19 pm

It's surely just removal of seats to haul leightweight packages - the new industry trend.
LHT has a few 380 customers: BA, QF, AF, KE and yes, also LH is a customer :)
My bet is actually on LH Technik Philippines in MNL where they have facilities for line, base and heavy 380 maintenance.

oldJoe

Tue May 05, 2020 5:21 pm

VCVSpotter wrote:
Just read the press release in entirety, and I am not entirely clear on what they mean by cargo conversion. Are they just taking the seats out of an A380? Or are they actually doing permanent work to install a cargo door and turn it into a permanent freighter? It seems like the former, can anyone clarify?

This is not P2F conversion for sure !
The last setence makes it clear. .......so that airlines all over the world can quickly convert their passenger aircraft into auxiliary freighters
Let`s start the speculation who the undisclosed customer is ?

VCVSpotter

Tue May 05, 2020 5:28 pm

oldJoe wrote:
VCVSpotter wrote:

This is not P2F conversion for sure !
The last setence makes it clear. .......so that airlines all over the world can quickly convert their passenger aircraft into auxiliary freighters
Let`s start the speculation who the undisclosed customer is ?

Ok, thank you! I'd say Malaysia is in the cards, they flew their A380 to LHR on a cargo flight apparently (was mentioned in the COVID-19 cargo thread)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell BA/KL 744s

concordeforever

Tue May 05, 2020 6:48 pm

"My bet is actually on LH Technik Philippines in MNL where they have facilities for line, base and heavy 380 maintenance."

Very interesting. There is currently a British Airways A380, G-XLEG, on heavy maintenance in Manila, although I would be very surprised if this is the first for conversion to a freighter.....

Weatherwatcher1

Tue May 05, 2020 6:54 pm

It is hard to understand the article. It sounds like they will take out seats and tie cargo down in a passenger cabin. I couldn’t find anything suggesting they would cut out a cargo door and install a cargo handling system

3rdGen

Tue May 05, 2020 6:55 pm

The thing that makes the 747 such an attractive cargo aircraft is the nose loading ability. It means extra long cargo can be loaded. Will the 380 have this ability if a cargo conversion is considered?

I have been on a 380 a few times and the cockpit looks to be accessed from the main deck. So I assume that it can't be loaded from the nose. This is a big mistake from Airbus. It's why the 747 will be flying as a cargo aircraft for many years to come.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

tcfc424

Tue May 05, 2020 7:06 pm

Could this be for Formula 1? They have been discussing cost reductions across the board and logistics of shipping people, cars, and equipment is a big portion of that. Having a dedicated combi would seem to be something worth looking into. I believe DHL handles all of their cargo movements at the moment.

DocLightning

Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 pm

ER757 wrote:
I wonder if it would be configured as a triple-decker package hauler for the likes of FX or if they might just remove the ceiling of the lower passenger deck,

I believe that the ceiling of the lower passenger deck/floor of the upper deck is structural and is in tension to prevent circularization of the fuselage when pressurized.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ER757

Tue May 05, 2020 7:27 pm

DocLightning wrote:
ER757 wrote:
I wonder if it would be configured as a triple-decker package hauler for the likes of FX or if they might just remove the ceiling of the lower passenger deck,

I believe that the ceiling of the lower passenger deck/floor of the upper deck is structural and is in tension to prevent circularization of the fuselage when pressurized.

don't cloud the issue with facts :D

mmo

Tue May 05, 2020 7:28 pm

If you look at today's Aviator https://aviator.aero/mailer/daily_free/ ... ew/browser the article states it is for "temporary operational changes". I would imagine the STC required to turn the 380 into a dedicated freighter would be so expensive it would be prohibitive, especially, for one aircraft.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Revelation

Tue May 05, 2020 7:33 pm

This doesn't seem any different than what Airbus has done for A350 already, except of course this is targeting the A380.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 61.article describes what they did for A350.

In particular, for fire:

Under the EASA guidelines heat-generating systems such as in-flight entertainment, in-seat power, and galley equipment must be de-activated, along with supplemental oxygen systems in the cabin areas. Portable devices powered by lithium batteries, including unnecessary emergency locator transmitters, need to be removed.

Along with the pilots the aircraft must carry trained fire monitors – typically three cabin crew – who must be seated away from the cargo and perform regular safety walks, carrying portable oxygen, to check for any sign of smoke or fire – including in the overhead bins. These monitors must also be able to tackle an outbreak with regular cabin equipment.

Lardet stresses that the EASA regulations forbid any cargo classified as dangerous goods to be transported in the modified passenger cabin.

So they are not installing any new fire suppression equipment, they are just disabling risk elements within the cabin.

The three human fire monitors are the fire suppression equipment.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

mxaxai

Tue May 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Revelation wrote:
This doesn't seem any different than what Airbus has done for A350 already, except of course this is targeting the A380.

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 61.article describes what they did for A350.

The only difference being that Airbus originally only had customers for the A330, A340 and A350. They did mention the A380 as a possibility but also stated that no airline had shown interest yet. That seems to have changed.

Also one thing to remember: These temporary conversion only remove the economy class seats. Premium seats, while heavy, are too much work to remove and re-install to make it worthwhile. So for almost all A380s, that means pallets on the main deck only. (Or only very few)

FGITD

Tue May 05, 2020 7:48 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Revelation wrote:

The only difference being that Airbus originally only had customers for the A330, A340 and A350. They did mention the A380 as a possibility but also stated that no airline had shown interest yet. That seems to have changed.

Also one thing to remember: These temporary conversion only remove the economy class seats. Premium seats, while heavy, are too much work to remove and re-install to make it worthwhile. So for almost all A380s, that means pallets on the main deck only. (Or only very few)

I would be extremely surprised to see any such "conversions" carry any main deck pallets

mxaxai

Tue May 05, 2020 7:53 pm

FGITD wrote:
mxaxai wrote:
Revelation wrote:
https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transport/a350s-become-freighters-through-airbus-pallet-for-seat-swap/138161.article describes what they did for A350.
I would be extremely surprised to see any such "conversions" carry any main deck pallets

There's literally a photo of such a pallet in the article linked by Revelation...

Revelation

Tue May 05, 2020 7:58 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Revelation wrote:

Yes, I was referring to the approach (temporary installation) which seems to be the same for A330/A340/A350/A380.

It is significant that at least one A380 operator has contracted with LH to do the conversion. It may be a way to keep at least the training captains current on A380 for an airline without access to a sim so when they come back they don't have to rebuild the pilot cadre from scratch.

FG says:

About 30 pallets can be installed on an A350, 28 on an A330, and there is a small demand for equipping A340s. Lardet says Airbus would be prepared to look at A380 modification if customers requested it.

It'll be interesting to see if that small demand results in any A340 temporary P2F.

ScottB

Tue May 05, 2020 8:17 pm

mxaxai wrote:
So for almost all A380s, that means pallets on the main deck only. (Or only very few)

I expect that the height of the upper deck makes it unsuitable for carrying cargo anyway. I can't imagine that there's much equipment (apart from whatever is used to lift premium seats to that height when they're installed) at airports suitable for loading cargo on the upper deck. They're not going to be loading cargo through passenger loading bridges, either.

garpd

Tue May 05, 2020 8:55 pm

From the LHT release, it seems to me they only want to take seats out and lash boxes of cargo to the floor with nets and straps. Not a true freighter conversion.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Revelation

Tue May 05, 2020 9:00 pm

ferminbrif wrote:

Seems strange they could not use an A350 with no pax or seats to move 22T of cargo.

Arion640

Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 pm

windian425 wrote:
Was saying that this was the only way for the A380 to survive... Looking forward to this. I also like the idea of a Combi A380 with Cargo on the lower deck and pax on the upper.

That versions been built for some years now, it’s called the 777-300ER ;)

asdf

Tue May 05, 2020 9:27 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
Never saw that coming....
Just seems so long winded to handball a A380 with freight.
Good luck to them I say.

i guess it simply driven by the math

the used A380 are pretty cheap

and they are very capacible

their higher operational cost mainly comes from the higher fuel consum
but that is not from high interest for now because fuel is exeptional cheap
and it will stay cheap for years because the virus will not leave
it will change the whole travel industrie

because of the lack of passengers they can not use those cheap planes for pax
so they convert it for cargo

trex8

Tue May 05, 2020 9:36 pm

Didnt the Fedex or UPS CEO say when they cancelled their A380F order, they saw a potential for P2F A380s in the future.

oldJoe

Tue May 05, 2020 9:37 pm

Revelation wrote:
ferminbrif wrote:

Seems strange they could not use an A350 with no pax or seats to move 22T of cargo.

Maybe the want to use older aircraft so not runnung FH or FC on the newer ones ?

speedbird52

Tue May 05, 2020 10:23 pm

3rdGen wrote:
The thing that makes the 747 such an attractive cargo aircraft is the nose loading ability. It means extra long cargo can be loaded. Will the 380 have this ability if a cargo conversion is considered?

I have been on a 380 a few times and the cockpit looks to be accessed from the main deck. So I assume that it can't be loaded from the nose. This is a big mistake from Airbus. It's why the 747 will be flying as a cargo aircraft for many years to come.

There are a loft of converted 747 freighters and none of them have nose loading.

WayexTDI

Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 pm

3rdGen wrote:

The A380 cockpit sits midway between the main and upper decks and is indeed accessed from the main deck, through a short set of stairs.
Actually, the position of the A380 cockpit is not a major hurdle if it was to be modified with a nose loading door since the plane if all FBW; so, no cables, just wires and those are easily re-routed or connected/disconnected.
However, such a modification is hardly going to take place, the extend of the rework is too great... Although, look at the Guppy/Super Guppy/Pregnant Guppy and the 747-400LCF.

speedbird52

Tue May 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Arion640 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

Not really. A Combi A380 could carry far more volume on the maindeck, or on shorter flights, heavier payloads. I am not sure what range limitations a combi A380 would have, but putting aside issues like certification, I could have seen Lufthansa flying a single combi A380 instead of a PAX A330 and Cargo MD11/777 to some destinations like Seattle.

Arion640

Tue May 05, 2020 11:15 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

Not really. A Combi A380 could carry far more volume on the maindeck, or on shorter flights, heavier payloads. I am not sure what range limitations a combi A380 would have, but putting aside issues like certification, I could have seen Lufthansa flying a single combi A380 instead of a PAX A330 and Cargo MD11/777 to some destinations like Seattle.

Light hearted joke my friend. For years now the 77W has been known to be a cargo beast, but a A380 combi would obviously carry way more.

bkmbr

Tue May 05, 2020 11:16 pm

3rdGen wrote:

The front door of the 747's nose makes sense for large non-fractional oversized loads just like with the the Beluga, An124 and Dreamlifter, but one (or two) side cargo doors on the A380 would accommodate a lot of fractional cargo in containers or pallets with not much extra work from the ground crew. Companies like FedEX, DHL and UPS would probably be interested in a full cargo A380 for high demand routes (like the ones from China to the US now a days) depending on the allowed weight of actual transportable cargo and price. You don't need a front loading cargo door like the Beluga XL or a swing tail design like the Dreamlifter to transport packages and boxes.

OB1504

Wed May 06, 2020 1:59 am

bkmbr wrote:
3rdGen wrote:

The front door of the 747's nose makes sense for large non-fractional oversized loads just like with the the Beluga, An124 and Dreamlifter, but one (or two) side cargo doors on the A380 would accommodate a lot of fractional cargo in containers or pallets with not much extra work from the ground crew. Companies like FedEX, DHL and UPS would probably be interested in a full cargo A380 for high demand routes (like the ones from China to the US now a days) depending on the allowed weight of actual transportable cargo and price. You don't need a front loading cargo door like the Beluga XL or a swing tail design like the Dreamlifter to transport packages and boxes.

On the other hand, any airline interested in an A380 freighter would need to invest in new loading equipment to reach the upper deck, and the A380 would take up a significant amount of ramp space at the few airports that can handle it.

lightsaber

Wed May 06, 2020 2:49 am

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It is hard to understand the article. It sounds like they will take out seats and tie cargo down in a passenger cabin. I couldn’t find anything suggesting they would cut out a cargo door and install a cargo handling system

If other people read the article, they would realize LH is providing a service to do the Suplimental Type Certificate (STC) on flying cargo in passenger planes as you note.

This isn't a conversion. It is legally flying without seats with cargo, of light weight, held down with straps secured by seat tracks. It is formalizing this for multiple aircraft types, not just the A380.

As more aircraft are made auxiliary freighters, the rates will drop. The world doesn't need 115 A380s hauling PPE or other extreamly light cargo. But this provides some revenue.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

flee

Wed May 06, 2020 3:08 am

lightsaber wrote:
If other people read the article, they would realize LH is providing a service to do the Suplimental Type Certificate (STC) on flying cargo in passenger planes as you note.

This isn't a conversion. It is legally flying without seats with cargo, of light weight, held down with straps secured by seat tracks. It is formalizing this for multiple aircraft types, not just the A380.

I believe that this is the "conversion" that Airbus is talking about: https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-r ... demic.html

bkmbr

Wed May 06, 2020 3:18 am

OB1504 wrote:
On the other hand, any airline interested in an A380 freighter would need to invest in new loading equipment to reach the upper deck, and the A380 would take up a significant amount of ramp space at the few airports that can handle it.

Yes, but if there's a demand for this kind of aircraft probably the costs for those loading equipment to the operators will be minimal to say the least. The A380F would only operate in a very small number of airports and cargo hubs, maybe less than 5 airports in the world right now. There's no need to add this kind of loading equipment everywhere. The hub-and-spoke model works fine for most fast cargo operators.

DocLightning

Wed May 06, 2020 3:53 am

Revelation wrote:
It'll be interesting to see if that small demand results in any A340 temporary P2F.

I am going to guess than any A340 conversion will be "temporary" in technical terms only. I would be shocked to see any A340s other than VIP models return to passenger service after the pandemic. I'm glad that I got an A343 and an A346 under my belt before the pandemic hit.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Stitch

Re: A380 passenger to 'auxilary freighter'

Wed May 06, 2020 4:08 am

As links have noted, this is a temporary conversion and likely only for the Economy Class section since those seats can be quickly removed. Since the upper deck is usually Premium Cabin seating, those seats will almost certainly be left untouched.

The PKC pallet is designed for the lower hold of the A320 family so I expect they would bring them in empty through the passenger doors and attach them to the floor and then hand-build them up with small packages and wrapped in cargo netting to prevent shifting during flight.

I could see the main deck pallets being used for non-perishable medical supplies and foodstuffs and high-values items like mail and electronics (smartphones, tablets and computers) - light items that won't stress the existing passenger floor loading. The lower cargo hold could then be reserved for heavier general cargo and specialized containers (refrigerated and such).

marcelh

Wed May 06, 2020 4:27 am

Arion640 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Light hearted joke my friend. For years now the 77W has been known to be a cargo beast, but a A380 combi would obviously carry way more.

More like a cargo kitten compared to the 747 Combi. :D

c933103

Wed May 06, 2020 5:20 am

ER757 wrote:
konkret wrote:
ER757 wrote:

It also mentions that there's a lot more to the conversion than just removing seats - strengthening the floor, fire suppression etc. My un-educated guess is that if they go through the effort to do the conversion, it's never going back to a passenger configuration - especially a model that has basically zero market in the passenger sector

I guess it is "temporary" in the sense that until the demand recover, if the demand recover
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

concordeforever

Wed May 06, 2020 7:05 am

The HiFly A380, 9H-MIP, has just spent a month in Tarbes, and now back in Portugal. I heard rumours that it was having seats removed, so maybe this is the aircraft, although I don't think Lufthansa Technik have any facilities there?

LAX772LR

Wed May 06, 2020 7:20 am

3rdGen wrote:

Even converted 747s don't have that feature....
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

ELBOB

Wed May 06, 2020 7:52 am

lightsaber wrote:

I wouldn't say it's doing it "legally" by the letter of the law since it doesn't meet cargo transport requirements.

It's documenting it in form of a temporary STC as an exemption. Pretty shoddy that authorities are allowing such exemptions instead of insisting on hold-only cargo carriage. I guess it's all fine until a cabin load of boxed PPE goes up in fire; a half-assed STC won't help then.

raylee67

Wed May 06, 2020 9:09 am

Can't wait to see the first A380F, even if it's just temporary

Would be nice to have a real cargo door for both decks, but my guess is that the conversion would not involve that.

Didn't SQ retire some older A380s and no one took them? Can't they just convert those? So they don't need to worry about having to convert them back to pax config afterwards?
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

N14AZ

Wed May 06, 2020 9:24 am

raylee67 wrote:
Didn't SQ retire some older A380s and no one took them? Can't they just convert those?

I don't think so 8-)

Source: https://www.airportspotting.com/widebod ... ng-update/
Former 9V-SKA, picture taken in January 2020

Polot

Wed May 06, 2020 10:49 am

N14AZ wrote:
raylee67 wrote:
Didn't SQ retire some older A380s and no one took them? Can't they just convert those?

I don't think so 8-)

Source: https://www.airportspotting.com/widebod ... ng-update/
Former 9V-SKA, picture taken in January 2020

There are still 2 or 3 intact ones.

But the point of all this is to utilize and make revenue off the assets you already have and are already paying for. Nobody is going to go out and buy additional A380s to add to their fleet just to use for temporary cargo ops- they will use the wide bodies they already own that are sitting around doing nothing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos