Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JA
Topic Author

Is RAVN Alaska's Capacity Needed

Tue May 05, 2020 7:19 pm

If RAVN Alaska's capacity is needed, where should it be deployed?

In this environment, I would imagine that scaling up in a big way is not on the minds of any other Alaskan carrier.

32andBelow

Re: Is RAVN Alaska's Capacity Needed

Tue May 05, 2020 7:25 pm

Word on the street is Danny Seybert and some investment bank are trying to buy the penair certificate back.

Alaska airlines has some seasonal routes they could make year round. AKN/DLG for example. They said they are going to start cdb. AKN/DLG/CDB could be a milk run in the winter.

Chugach

Tue May 05, 2020 8:09 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Word on the street is Danny Seybert and some investment bank are trying to buy the penair certificate back.

Alaska airlines has some seasonal routes they could make year round. AKN/DLG for example. They said they are going to start cdb. AKN/DLG/CDB could be a milk run in the winter.

Personally I hope AS takes over ENA, HOM, and VDZ as those cities need more capacity than what GV can realistically provide.

Most of the other bush destinations have been filled in with other existing carriers. The biggest hole right now is DUT, which is getting solved (in a manner of speaking) with CDB. Side note, I wonder if the Pribilof Islands EAS contract will shift from DUT to CDB to connect with AS.

AKN and DLG are already going year round (https://www.kdlg.org/post/alaska-airlin ... ristol-bay). If I was betting money, I’d bet that the old ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC triangle (AS122 back in the day) will make a triumphant return in the winter.

I think I’ve posted this before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if ADK gets tagged on to the end of the CDB flight. Unless there is some EAS rule preventing it, it almost makes too much sense.

joeblow10

Tue May 05, 2020 8:19 pm

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Personally I hope AS takes over ENA, HOM, and VDZ as those cities need more capacity than what GV can realistically provide.

Most of the other bush destinations have been filled in with other existing carriers. The biggest hole right now is DUT, which is getting solved (in a manner of speaking) with CDB. Side note, I wonder if the Pribilof Islands EAS contract will shift from DUT to CDB to connect with AS.

AKN and DLG are already going year round (https://www.kdlg.org/post/alaska-airlin ... ristol-bay). If I was betting money, I’d bet that the old ANC-AKN-DLG-ANC triangle (AS122 back in the day) will make a triumphant return in the winter.

I think I’ve posted this before, but I wouldn’t be surprised if ADK gets tagged on to the end of the CDB flight. Unless there is some EAS rule preventing it, it almost makes too much sense.

Maybe I’m imagining things - but in the days of the 737-200, didn’t they stop at CDB or DLG before heading on to ADK?

Chugach

Tue May 05, 2020 8:43 pm

joeblow10 wrote:
Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Maybe I’m imagining things - but in the days of the 737-200, didn’t they stop at CDB or DLG before heading on to ADK?

AKN.

32andBelow

Tue May 05, 2020 8:43 pm

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Dut is not solved with CDB. You’d need to make like 10+ king air trips from cold bay. Dut needs a bigger Plane.

Chugach

Tue May 05, 2020 9:19 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:

Dut is not solved with CDB. You’d need to make like 10+ king air trips from cold bay. Dut needs a bigger Plane.

DUT needs a bigger runway. Until that happens they’re not getting a bigger plane, unless Penair somehow flies again.

32andBelow

Tue May 05, 2020 9:38 pm

Chugach wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:

DUT needs a bigger runway. Until that happens they’re not getting a bigger plane, unless Penair somehow flies again.

Dut is an EAS Route. The DOT should bid the route for a 30-50 seat aircraft. They’ll get bids.

usxguy

Tue May 05, 2020 10:13 pm

Its actually NOT an "EAS" route in the sense that people use the term. DOT hasn't allowed new subsidized markets in 6 years, and DUT hasn't been subsidized.
xx

32andBelow

Tue May 05, 2020 11:10 pm

usxguy wrote:
Its actually NOT an "EAS" route in the sense that people use the term. DOT hasn't allowed new subsidized markets in 6 years, and DUT hasn't been subsidized.

There’s always Alaska exceptions.

Back to the Cole bay thing it’s a disaster of a plan. So Alaska airlines drops off 185 people at an airport that is basically non existent in a town of 50 people. Then they can wait for their air taxis to sand point, Dutch harbor, king cove, etc. If the weather at Dutch goes down then where are these 100 people going to sleep? In the school gym? Oh btw the school in cold bay was closed.

ytib

Wed May 06, 2020 1:04 am

We can look at the EAS details to see if DUT or is not an EAS city.
https://www.transportation.gov/office-p ... ce-reports

I am surprised that YAK and CDV are the two receiving the highest amount of money, especially compared to PSG and WRG. Yes PSG and WRG do have access to AMHS so that is a sizable difference.
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3

32andBelow

Wed May 06, 2020 1:28 am

ytib wrote:
We can look at the EAS details to see if DUT or is not an EAS city.
https://www.transportation.gov/office-p ... ce-reports

I am surprised that YAK and CDV are the two receiving the highest amount of money, especially compared to PSG and WRG. Yes PSG and WRG do have access to AMHS so that is a sizable difference.

Cordova is on the ferry. Not sure about Yakutat.

Dash8Driver16

Wed May 06, 2020 5:02 pm

The new routing for CDB is going to be ANC-CDB-ADK-CDB-ANC twice a week. all you really need is a Dhc8-100/200 from CDB-DUT

Chugach

Wed May 06, 2020 5:11 pm

Dash8Driver16 wrote:
The new routing for CDB is going to be ANC-CDB-ADK-CDB-ANC twice a week. all you really need is a Dhc8-100/200 from CDB-DUT

Not surprised about the ADK piece and I suppose the 2x weekly to CDB makes some sense in the current environment. DUT residents should be thanking their lucky stars that AS is willing to do this in the COVID world.

It’ll still be interesting to see how people get CDB-DUT and return. I suppose Grant could buy a couple of Ravn’s Dash 8’s, except I don’t think Grant has the cash to do that.

drdisque

Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 pm

The problem with "All you need is a DHC8-100/200 from CDB-DUT" is that there is no operational US airline with such an aircraft currently on their certificate.

good luck finding investors for a tiny airline that still needs to hold a Part 121 certificate that is planning on operating a 30-40 year old mid-size turboprop.

Honestly, the fishing companies that use DUT and the borough should form a co-op to create such an airline.

NameOmitted

Wed May 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Has anyone heard more about the job fair Alaska Airlines (or Air Group?) Said they were hosting for Ravn employees?

32andBelow

Wed May 06, 2020 9:45 pm

Dash8Driver16 wrote:

That won’t be anywhere close to enough lift post covid. Pen was doing 90-135 seats a day with the Saab 2000 and/dut

aemoreira1981

Wed May 06, 2020 10:04 pm

There surely should be DH8Ds available to convert to combi...which could then be Y48 + cargo (in the back)...good enough for DUT (although there could be a slight payload hit on departure).

32andBelow

Wed May 06, 2020 10:10 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
There surely should be DH8Ds available to convert to combi...which could then be Y48 + cargo (in the back)...good enough for DUT (although there could be a slight payload hit on departure).

There’s like 10 about to be for sale already at the anchorage airport. And 5 Saab 2000s

gmcc

Wed May 06, 2020 10:14 pm

I know it's not practical but since air Inuit has both a dash 8 300 combi and a full freighter that seems like a good person to subcontract with.
https://www.airinuit.com/en/fleet/bomba ... 300-series
Sham something like that couldn't be work out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos