Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Blerg
Topic Author

Has Austrian Airlines Given Up On Boston?

Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Good afternoon,

I was just on www.austrian.com and I was looking at some flights from Vienna to Boston. They were supposed to launch these flights on March 29 but due to Coronavirus the launch was moved to June 2nd. However, now I can't find any flights and I looked for all summer months as well as November.

Have they given up on launching Boston? I would be surprised since they are retiring 3 of their 6 B767.

More recently they've also cut Miami and turned Los Angels into a summer seasonal destination with reduced number of weekly flights.

SpaceshipDC10

Re: Has Austrian Airlines Given Up On Boston?

Wed May 06, 2020 4:49 pm

Given the situation due to the Coronavirus, it wouldn't be surprising that it has been postponed to an unknown date. Once flights could resume between Europe and the U.S. which routes will be really worth serving and which won't? Also, OS is part of a larger group which is part of a global alliance.

eta unknown

Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Does anyone really expect ANY new service to be launched this year?!?

ConnectAir

Wed May 06, 2020 5:00 pm

eta unknown wrote:

I would only expect new air cargo services.
WN, LX, AZ, BA, LH, KL, DL, OK, S5, US, UA, VY, IB, AF, LY, F9, CO, YX x2, PD, AC, AA, OO, PT, QK

A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A343, B712, B733, B737, B738, B753, B744, B764, B772, B789, CRJ9, DH8D, E145, E190

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 5:03 pm

eta unknown wrote:

You mean besides Belavia's Minsk-Vienna?

https://www.aeronewsx.com/post/belavia- ... -19-crisis

Blerg
Topic Author

Wed May 06, 2020 5:04 pm

eta unknown wrote:

Oh and Wizz Air announced a bunch of new routes from Luton and Vienna. Most start in about two months from what I remember.

SCQ83

Wed May 06, 2020 5:07 pm

eta unknown wrote:

TAP is launching tentatively a few new routes. Wizz Air has announced new routes for 2020 even this week.

Ishrion

Wed May 06, 2020 5:12 pm

eta unknown wrote:

A few HND flights already went through I think?

NYCVIE

Wed May 06, 2020 7:16 pm

Yes, Boston is postponed indefinitely, wouldn't be surprised to see it cancelled outright. TATL demand will take the longest to come back and there are still serious travel restrictions between the EU and the US. Additionally, as you mention, the OS long haul fleet is shrinking. A better question is does anyone expect new TATL service to be launched this year?

airbazar

Wed May 06, 2020 7:39 pm

NYCVIE wrote:
A better question is does anyone expect new TATL service to be launched this year?

Yes. AFAIK, TAP is very much still launching PDL-BOS and PDL-YYZ this Summer, and LIS-CUN in October.
https://www.anna.aero/2020/04/08/tap-ai ... cape-town/
This was just announced a month ago so it's not like they didn't know about Coronavirus.

IWMBH

Wed May 06, 2020 7:45 pm

airbazar wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:
A better question is does anyone expect new TATL service to be launched this year?

Yes. AFAIK, TAP is very much still launching PDL-BOS and PDL-YYZ this Summer, and LIS-CUN in October.
This was just announced a month ago so it's not like they didn't know about Coronavirus.

I would be very surprised if they actually launch new services.
Their financial situation is not favourable at the moment.

Austrian was struggling even before Corona hit, I think LH is hesitant to open new routes.
Their long haul fleet will also shrink so what metal would they use?

stylo777

Wed May 06, 2020 8:18 pm

I don't think it will be launched, even after Corona.
For starters, they will be down by 3x 76W and AFAIK another 3-4x 772 are being converted to pax-freighters. yes, it's easy to reinstall the seats, but anyways.
As mentioned by NYCVIE, the TATL demand - aka cashcow of many airlines - is hit the most and will take time to recover to an acceptable level.
In "normal times" BOS is very well covered with multiple frequencies by LH and LX. Therefore, it's quite easy to route the pax through FRA, MUC or ZRH (as they anyway did before...).
Another LH Group carrier LX also postponed their planned inauguration to IAD (was planned for end of March) as well as KIX (launched with a few flights at the beginning of March, but postponed again until 2021).

B752OS

Wed May 06, 2020 8:43 pm

Considering how hard TATL has been hit the last 7-8 weeks and how hard it will be hit the rest of 2020, I think it's a safe assumption that OS will not be launching VIE-BOS this year and probably not even 2021.. Who knows if they have given up the route completely, maybe they'll give it a shot for summer 2022? It's going to take some time for TATL traffic to rebound.

aemoreira1981

Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 pm

airbazar wrote:
NYCVIE wrote:

Which planes will be using? With TP needing the A21N for PDL-YYZ, PDL-BOS, LIS-BOS, LIS-EWR, and LIS-LAD (until the end of June), there aren't enough internationally-configured A21Ns in the fleet. Could some of this be flown with a Europe-configured A21N? Or are the PDL services postponed until July?

As for long-haul to North America, I could see OS shrinking to just ORD, YYZ, EWR, and IAD (no JFK or BOS). The B763s being retired are likely going to be OE-LAT/W/X (T being a Martinair NTU and W and X being sister ships to the crashed -LAV in a 6-door configuration; -LAT has 4 doors only). T, W, and X are 28-29 years old.

FSDan

Thu May 07, 2020 12:02 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
As for long-haul to North America, I could see OS shrinking to just ORD, YYZ, EWR, and IAD (no JFK or BOS).

In Canada OS serves YUL, with AC serving YYZ-VIE. YUL could be on the chopping block since it's not as large a market as some of the others.

I agree they'll probably consolidate NYC service, although I'm actually not sure if they'd pick JFK or EWR. It's worth noting that they didn't fly to EWR until a few years ago. Yes, UA can feed the EWR-VIE flight, but they're also able to flow connections to VIE over ORD or IAD, which I'd guess are smaller O&D markets. If the JFK-VIE flight does well with O&D traffic plus connections beyond VIE to the Balkans, Ukraine, etc., they might prioritize that flight. My understanding is that some of the largest Eastern European communities in the NYC area are closer to JFK.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

aemoreira1981

Thu May 07, 2020 1:53 am

FSDan wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
As for long-haul to North America, I could see OS shrinking to just ORD, YYZ, EWR, and IAD (no JFK or BOS).

In Canada OS serves YUL, with AC serving YYZ-VIE. YUL could be on the chopping block since it's not as large a market as some of the others.

I agree they'll probably consolidate NYC service, although I'm actually not sure if they'd pick JFK or EWR. It's worth noting that they didn't fly to EWR until a few years ago. Yes, UA can feed the EWR-VIE flight, but they're also able to flow connections to VIE over ORD or IAD, which I'd guess are smaller O&D markets. If the JFK-VIE flight does well with O&D traffic plus connections beyond VIE to the Balkans, Ukraine, etc., they might prioritize that flight. My understanding is that some of the largest Eastern European communities in the NYC area are closer to JFK.

Good point you make...if JFK O&D can support it. But if one of the B763s goes tech, the whole schedule is messed up, if you only have 3 B763s. ORD could go to a B772, but JFK?

Nicknuzzii

Thu May 07, 2020 3:22 am

I wonder how much feed UA actually provides for VS. I’m thinking not a lot. While I do think they will chose JFK over EWR they typically have better loads from EWR (Nonstop fares are equal).

Blerg
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 4:28 am

FSDan wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

True, Balkan community is pretty large in New York but there is so much competition already. Air Serbia flies from Belgrade, Turkish Airlines from Istanbul while Delta flies from Athens and Emirates and United from Newark to Athens. So those are the non-stop options out of which JU already offers connections via BEG and flies 6/week to JFK in summer.

Now add to that LO from BUD which seems to be going ahead with transfers from the region. Add to that their hub in WAW from where they carry a great deal of transfers from the Balkans, then there is Alitalia, Air France and of course Lufthansa.

So Austrian Airlines has to fight with all these guys for passengers to New York. Turkish Airlines sells Balkans-New York for as little as €550 at times. KLM a few months ago had a promo to JFK for just €370!

kipfilet

Thu May 07, 2020 5:27 am

Portuguese government is considering nationalizing TAP so I wouldn't rely too much on new routes. For some reason mods keep deleting threads about that!

eta unknown

Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 am

No offense guys, but opening a long haul route versus an intra Europe route aren't quite the same thing. If you ever get the opportunity to see an internal route performance chart you'll understand the high costs involved.

FSDan

Thu May 07, 2020 8:22 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Good point you make...if JFK O&D can support it. But if one of the B763s goes tech, the whole schedule is messed up, if you only have 3 B763s. ORD could go to a B772, but JFK?

I'm pretty sure I remember OS sending 772s to JFK regularly before the EWR flight started. Since they started serving both major NYC international airports they have used 763s on both. Or maybe the 772 leaving JFK was more closely tied to when VIE-LAX started... I don't remember.

I could certainly see VIE-LAX getting the axe, which would free up a 772. That 772 could fill in for one of the current 763 routes that they want to keep after retiring the 3 frames - NYC or PEK would appear to be the top two candidates, as I imagine YUL (assuming it's kept) and IAD wouldn't be able to fill a 772.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Blerg
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 6:23 am

Austrian Airlines seems to be doing quite ok in Chicago, it probably helps that they have a wide Balkan and Eastern European network. If they do cut LAX and with BOS now gone (and probably something else), could we maybe see them boost Chicago from 7 to 9 or 10 weekly flights in summer?

RvA

Fri May 08, 2020 7:03 am

Blerg wrote:
Austrian Airlines seems to be doing quite ok in Chicago, it probably helps that they have a wide Balkan and Eastern European network. If they do cut LAX and with BOS now gone (and probably something else), could we maybe see them boost Chicago from 7 to 9 or 10 weekly flights in summer?

I doubt they will actually end up operating it as originally planned in the first place. Demand is insanely soft and the restrictions in place are not helping that either.

Blerg
Topic Author

Sat May 09, 2020 5:36 am

RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I doubt they will actually end up operating it as originally planned in the first place. Demand is insanely soft and the restrictions in place are not helping that either.

I didn't mean this summer but in the future, for example next summer when demand should recover.

RvA

Sat May 09, 2020 7:54 am

Blerg wrote:
RvA wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I didn't mean this summer but in the future, for example next summer when demand should recover.

Let’s hope so. Demand isn’t forecast to be back to 2019 levels until 2022/2023 :(

ChrisNH38

Sat May 09, 2020 1:40 pm

This whole thing seems as Ill-conceived as the RAM service to Casablanca was.
https://my.flightradar24.com/ChrisNH

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos