Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

Did the Concorde ever fly TPAC?

Wed May 06, 2020 6:08 pm

Did the Concorde ever fly TPAC? I remember hearing about it flying on a world tour LAX-NAN-SYD sometime in the 80's or 90's. Anyone have more information?

Bhoy

Re: Did the Concorde ever fly TPAC?

Wed May 06, 2020 6:17 pm

It certainly did some around the World flights.

eg here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYvRHcJAZCU
Last edited by Bhoy on Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosSi

Wed May 06, 2020 6:19 pm

I’d like to know the routing of the Concorde to Hong Kong from Paris. I once did on my home simulator Paris-Moscow (?) subsonic (that was hard) and then towards... Chengdu I believe at supersonic (it’s a lot of unpopulated land), then to Hong Kong.

CAVUPDX

Wed May 06, 2020 6:20 pm

There is a documentary produced (I had it on VHS tape) about a round the world trip.

GDB

Wed May 06, 2020 6:25 pm

This was BA's last Round The World Charter, even before subsequent events it was seen as being likely the last, (though there was the 'African Queen' tour around that continent in early 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB-smagT0O4

32andBelow

Wed May 06, 2020 6:27 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
I’d like to know the routing of the Concorde to Hong Kong from Paris. I once did on my home simulator Paris-Moscow (?) subsonic (that was hard) and then towards... Chengdu I believe at supersonic (it’s a lot of unpopulated land), then to Hong Kong.

It would be a shame if the simulator people got sonic boomed

cedarjet

Wed May 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Don’t know why Singapore Airlines tried to make SIN-BAH-LHR work when the obvious winner would have been a supersonic corridor SIN HKG NRT, both legs overwater, masses of business traffic, lots of prestige. I guess they knew better than some idiot on a forum but I would have thought that would have lasted until 2003.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Polot

Wed May 06, 2020 7:00 pm

cedarjet wrote:
Don’t know why Singapore Airlines tried to make SIN-BAH-LHR work when the obvious winner would have been a supersonic corridor SIN HKG NRT, both legs overwater, masses of business traffic, lots of prestige. I guess they knew better than some idiot on a forum but I would have thought that would have lasted until 2003.

Because it wasn’t SQ’s aircraft. The service was jointly operated with BA who wanted the Concorde on the Kangaroo route. BA was using SQ to help get permission from Singapore government to use the Concorde at SIN.

I don’t think scheduled SIN-SYD service ever ended up happening like BA was hoping though.

GDB

Wed May 06, 2020 7:11 pm

cedarjet wrote:

A major limitation was airframes, or the lack of them, the need to concentrate on the core service for London and New York.

One of these days, maybe while this lockdown/furlough goes on, I'll do a 'what if?' based on some limited extra production and even sales based on this;
http://www.concordesst.com/concordeb.html

LAX772LR

Wed May 06, 2020 8:57 pm

cedarjet wrote:

SQ would've had to order its own Concordes to do that.

BA was still the sole operator of Concorde for the SQ collaboration; it was just a joint marketing agreement where the aircraft would take on a few Singapore Girls and switch out some interior appointments to carry the SQ logo. And of course the half-livery on G-BOAD.

Flight crew, registration and certificate were still 100% BA.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Arion640

Wed May 06, 2020 9:12 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
cedarjet wrote:

SQ would've had to order its own Concordes to do that.

BA was still the sole operator of Concorde for the SQ collaboration; it was just a joint marketing agreement where the aircraft would take on a few Singapore Girls and switch out some interior appointments to carry the SQ logo. And of course the half-livery on G-BOAD.

Flight crew, registration and certificate were still 100% BA.

And the plan was to start flying into SYD from SIN. London to Sydney in about 14 or 15 hours?

Back on topic, Pretty sure Concorde flew from Vancouver to Honolulu to Guam to Fiji and then to Sydney. Sydney up to somewhere else, then India, Venice and back to Heathrow. All part of a RTW charter.

There was a few, I think that was the last one.

aeromoe

Wed May 06, 2020 9:25 pm

32andBelow wrote:
CarlosSi wrote:

It would be a shame if the simulator people got sonic boomed

:rotfl:
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(1) BY B6 CO CP(2) DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QF QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K

LAX772LR

Wed May 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Arion640 wrote:
Back on topic, Pretty sure Concorde flew from Vancouver to Honolulu to Guam to Fiji and then to Sydney. Sydney up to somewhere else, then India, Venice and back to Heathrow. All part of a RTW charter.

It varied by the year.

My mother and sister did it, and for them it was LAS-HNL-RAR-SYD

Arion640

Wed May 06, 2020 10:34 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

It varied by the year.

If you’re interested, they made a documentary of the final RTW. https://youtu.be/fB-smagT0O4

Looks like the route was London-JFK-Vancouver-Hawaii-Nadi-Sydney-Guam-Bangkok-Madras-nairobi-Jordon-Venice-London.

MrBretz

Wed May 06, 2020 10:47 pm

I was on a trip to the Big Island of Hawaii, I think it was in the very late 1990s. I recall I saw the Concorde at KOA as part of a special, I presume RTW, trip. I had seen the plane in Sydney too I think. That had to be in the late 1980s but I am fuzzier on that one.

LAX772LR

Thu May 07, 2020 1:41 am

Arion640 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

It varied by the year.

If you’re interested, they made a documentary of the final RTW. https://youtu.be/fB-smagT0O4

Looks like the route was London-JFK-Vancouver-Hawaii-Nadi-Sydney-Guam-Bangkok-Madras-nairobi-Jordon-Venice-London.

Nice.

They did AF. For that aircraft, it was CDG-JFK-LAS-HNL-RAR-CHC*-SYD-DPS-HKG-DEL-NBO-CDG
They boarded in LAS. Most pax boarded in CDG, and some in JFK.

*(forgot about that one, in the above explanation)

xtra1

Thu May 07, 2020 6:40 am

I remember an Air France Concorde doing a MNL-HKG-MNL round-trip; carrying Imelda Marcos, on a shopping trip. On the return leg , the Concorde did a low fly-past over Hong Kong island...remember seeing it through my bedroom window.

concordeforever

Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 am

The first British Airways Concorde RTW trip was a 16 day tour in November 1986. It routed London Heathrow--New York JFK--Oakland--Honolulu--Guam--Hong Kong--Denpasar Bali--Colombo--Bahrain--Cairo--London Heathrow. Total distance covered was 22,983 miles and airborne flying time was 30 hours 46 minutes with 15 hours 15 minutes of that in supersonic flight. G-BOAF flew supersonic on each sector other than New York--Oakland, and Bahrain--Cairo.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos