Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

PepeTheFrog

Re: Boeing 737MAX Grounding, General Discussion Thread, Q2 2020

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:05 am

Revelation wrote:
What we don't seem to have had was the "come to Jesus" moment where Boeing admits it let commercial goals drive a series of unacceptable engineering decisions and FAA admits it left Boeing to its own devices far too much. At best we had some apologies without admissions. I can imagine that behind the scenes people who were closely associated with the decisions that led to the tragedy have been pushed aside or shown the door, but that's only my imagination at work.

Please note that criminal investigations are still ongoing. It might take a few years before things have been sorted out, but in a few years from now I expect to see some people going to jail for what they have done with the MAX.
Good moaning!

morrisond

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:29 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
Which again assuming that sales split held on the MAX, explains why the two crashes were both MAX-8s.

Up to the two crashes only the MAX-8s were certified and delivered so there was no chance that any other variant of the MAX could crash as none were in service.

Nope -9's were operating by then as well. https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2018-03-21 ... -737-MAX-9

FluidFlow

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:42 pm

morrisond wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
BowlingShoeDC9 wrote:
Which again assuming that sales split held on the MAX, explains why the two crashes were both MAX-8s.

Up to the two crashes only the MAX-8s were certified and delivered so there was no chance that any other variant of the MAX could crash as none were in service.

Nope -9's were operating by then as well. https://boeing.mediaroom.com/2018-03-21 ... -737-MAX-9

Oh thanks for the update, I must have a slip in my datasheet, I had March 2019 for the MAX-9.

MIflyer12

Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:58 pm

PepeTheFrog wrote:
Please note that criminal investigations are still ongoing.

In what jurisdictions are criminal investigations ongoing, please?

planecane

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:20 pm

PepeTheFrog wrote:
Revelation wrote:
What we don't seem to have had was the "come to Jesus" moment where Boeing admits it let commercial goals drive a series of unacceptable engineering decisions and FAA admits it left Boeing to its own devices far too much. At best we had some apologies without admissions. I can imagine that behind the scenes people who were closely associated with the decisions that led to the tragedy have been pushed aside or shown the door, but that's only my imagination at work.

Please note that criminal investigations are still ongoing. It might take a few years before things have been sorted out, but in a few years from now I expect to see some people going to jail for what they have done with the MAX.

Don't hold your breath on that one. You'll have a very had time finding a federal statute that somebody at Boeing can be convicted of that includes jail time.

Some kind of SEC violations are the best they'll do.

planecane

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:23 pm

MrBretz wrote:
Does anyone have any idea how many certification flights there will be? Will they someway fail the AoA sensor and see what happens or is that done in a simulator?

Do they intentionally fail an engine at V1 for certification? I don't know but I'd imagine the answer would be the same for the AoA sensor. Software behavior can be proven in an engineering simulator.

Noshow

Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:51 pm

I think they do. AFAIK they even kill it the hard way with fuel cut off.

qf789
Topic Author

Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:30 pm

Please continue discussion in Boeing 737MAX Grounding, General Discussion Thread, Q3 2020

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1448399
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos