Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

psimpson
Topic Author

AR A330 into LHR

Thu May 07, 2020 4:27 pm

I was heading out to do some food shopping this afternoon in West London and looked up and saw what i thought was a Aerolineas Argentina A330 going into LHR at 15.40 hrs local. The aircraft literally flew right overhead so the markings were very clear.
When i got home i did a replay startting 15.30 hrs local on one of the flight trackers and there it was ARG1130 A332 LV-GHQ.
It was a pleasant surprise to see a Aerolineas Argentina aircradt back in London. I remember during the 1980s seeing the lovely Aerolineas Argentina B747s at LHR when they operated on Monday's & Thursday's, with arrivals early afternoon and departures early evening.The last time i saw a Aerolineas Argentina aircraft at LHR was when they had the Iberia style livery in blue.
When did AR stop flying to LHR?

santos

Re: AR A330 into LHR

Thu May 07, 2020 4:38 pm

Repatriation flight!

SueD

Thu May 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Ask Mar Thatcher and the Malvinas issues !

Last scheduled services was in 1990 through they did operate a few Rugby World Cup related flights in 2015

dcajet

Thu May 07, 2020 6:24 pm

SueD wrote:

Last scheduled services was in 1990 through they did operate a few Rugby World Cup related flights in 2015

AR served LHR from 1950-1982; came back in 1990 and in 1996 the then Iberia management decided to concentrate European flying at MAD, FCO and CDG.

In the 2000s, during the Marsans administration, AR based an MD80 and later a 737-500 at MAD and flew to LGW, CDG and MUC with them, using MAD as a small hub. Did not last very long.

Of note is that this repatriation flight got into trouble almost mid way to LHR north of FOR with a hydraulic issue and had to return to EZE, It was operated by LV-GIF originally, carrying 70 British citizens back to the UK and returning with 200+ Argentinian citizens to their homeland, LV-GHQ substituted LV-GIF the second time around.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4d6edbbf&opt=0
Keep calm and wash your hands.

skipness1E

Thu May 07, 2020 6:50 pm

SueD wrote:

You mean the Falkland Islands? The ones as far from Argentina as London is from Lisbon? The ones Argentina never had sovereignty over? THOSE islands populated wholly by English speaking descendants that have no wish to be ruled by Argentina? Is that the islands you mean?

It’s not Mrs Thatcher’s doing AR don’t serve London given BA do serve LHR-EZE and AR are free to return to London.

Ryanair01

Thu May 07, 2020 7:12 pm

psimpson wrote:
I was heading out to do some food shopping this afternoon in West London and looked up and saw what i thought was a Aerolineas Argentina A330 going into LHR at 15.40 hrs local. The aircraft literally flew right overhead so the markings were very clear.
When i got home i did a replay startting 15.30 hrs local on one of the flight trackers and there it was ARG1130 A332 LV-GHQ.
It was a pleasant surprise to see a Aerolineas Argentina aircradt back in London. I remember during the 1980s seeing the lovely Aerolineas Argentina B747s at LHR when they operated on Monday's & Thursday's, with arrivals early afternoon and departures early evening.The last time i saw a Aerolineas Argentina aircraft at LHR was when they had the Iberia style livery in blue.
When did AR stop flying to LHR?

I caught the same thing, very nice.

SueD wrote:

Apart from BA's daily service which I've flown on lolz.

dcajet

Thu May 07, 2020 7:35 pm

skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

You mean the Falkland Islands? The ones as far from Argentina as London is from Lisbon? The ones Argentina never had sovereignty over? THOSE islands populated wholly by English speaking descendants that have no wish to be ruled by Argentina? Is that the islands you mean?

It’s not Mrs Thatcher’s doing AR don’t serve London given BA do serve LHR-EZE and AR are free to return to London.

Chill. There is no offense in calling the Falklands the way they are known in the Spanish language, regardless of which side you take on the matter.

One nit pick:

LHR-LIS: 972 miles

RGL-MPN: 466 miles

SueD

Thu May 07, 2020 7:43 pm

skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

The ones I spent 6 months in mud and swatting millions of midgies fitting a hanger door in my youth yes those

Plenty of sheep and a few land rovers a bar and not so friendly locals imho .

Bloody freezing portacabin for us contractors

Yeah i know the place

peterinlisbon

Thu May 07, 2020 8:12 pm

I also saw an Alitalia A330 at Heathrow today. There seem to be a lot of unusual operations and, for now at least, Heathrow is wide open.

psimpson
Topic Author

Thu May 07, 2020 9:24 pm

Thank you people for your replys, Mid 1990s would seem correct for the last time i saw a Aerolineas Argentina B747 at LHR wearing that Iberia style livery.

Bricktop

Thu May 07, 2020 9:30 pm

skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

I can practically hear "Rule Britannia" in the background. :rotfl:

dcajet

Thu May 07, 2020 10:46 pm

After a 5 year hiatus, a hydraulic leak , a return to EZE, a change of aircraft and a 12h 42 min flight, AR was back at LHR

https://twitter.com/Aerolineas_AR/statu ... 4394166272

Return flight is already on its way back to Buenos Aires EZE

https://www.flightradar24.com/ARG1131/24768c02

OA940

Thu May 07, 2020 10:59 pm

Bricktop wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

It actually sounded a lot like a public speech lmfao
A350/CSeries = bae

Judge1310

Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 am

Bricktop wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

Bricktop, you're good as I literally laughed out loud to your reply! :lol: :rotfl: :thumbsup:

Jomar777

Fri May 08, 2020 7:47 am

SueD wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
SueD wrote:

The ones I spent 6 months in mud and swatting millions of midgies fitting a hanger door in my youth yes those

Plenty of sheep and a few land rovers a bar and not so friendly locals imho .

Bloody freezing portacabin for us contractors

Yeah i know the place

Good one! People sometimes go Political when it is not needed... Weather is pretty bad round there so that may be why people are a bit in the rough side... Would love to see some pics from there taken by "normal" people (I mean... ordinary people like me that would have been there...).

Note to our friend you replied to:

The islands (let's not dwell on names since you already tick that one off...) were indeed inhabited by some predecessors before the British turn up and expelled everyone (usual in those times... nothing out of the blue...). It is much closer to Argentina than Gibraltar is from the UK (does not affect/justify any claim but it is a fact). Potentially rich in Oil and resources BUT the exploration area would indeed be much closer to Argentina than the islands are actually so bone of contention.

I myself have no questions that they are British but any exploration of resources should be considered in commonly...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos