Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAJFKLHR777
Topic Author

Person killed by plane on runway at Austin

Fri May 08, 2020 2:45 am

Last edited by qf789 on Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: misleading title

santi319

Re: KAUS Fatality

Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 am

A watch commander for the Austin Police Department said the deceased person was not dressed as an airport worker and did not have ID.

http://cbsaustin.com/news/local/ems-per ... bia-runway

MavyWavyATR

Fri May 08, 2020 3:03 am

Honestly shocking that airport security didn't catch the person trespassing beforehand.

Austin787

Fri May 08, 2020 3:07 am

rajincajun01

Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 am

MavyWavyATR wrote:
Honestly shocking that airport security didn't catch the person trespassing beforehand.

AUS has had several people jump the fence onto the field.
A319 A320 A321 A330 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 C172 C402 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 DH8 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 E170/175/190 L1011 MD80 MD90 SF340

Jshank83

Fri May 08, 2020 4:28 am

Someone on twitter said it was a coworker of their kid at worldwide freight services. Obviously unconfirmed.

WN732

Fri May 08, 2020 4:44 am

[*]
rajincajun01 wrote:
MavyWavyATR wrote:

AUS has had several people jump the fence onto the field.

I could definitely see that. The fence off of 183 is not terribly high. It's also far enough away that a person would probably not be seen by the authorities.

malaysia

Fri May 08, 2020 4:53 am

Jshank83 wrote:
Someone on twitter said it was a coworker of their kid at worldwide freight services. Obviously unconfirmed.

Probably mean Worldwide Flight Services?
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

Ishrion

Fri May 08, 2020 5:02 am

dcall620

Fri May 08, 2020 5:32 am

Ishrion wrote:

Oh my :o

Fliplot

Re: Person killed by plane on runway at Austin

Fri May 08, 2020 6:06 am

A human did that damage to a landing airceaft?! Wow!

FluidFlow

Fri May 08, 2020 6:36 am

Fliplot wrote:

Ever seen what happens to a car if you hit a deer (~100kg) at 100km/h. You can be lucky if the car is not totalled. So depending how fast the aircraft was, this is a relatively small damage or the nacelle is really sturdy.

Antaras

Fri May 08, 2020 6:41 am

Ishrion wrote:

So I guess that the body htted the outer side of the nacelle very hard, and then...absorbed by the engine?

Well it seems painful, aww :tired:
If you disagree with my statement, assume that it was just a joke :duck:

426Shadow

Fri May 08, 2020 6:42 am

Fliplot wrote:

Have you seen what a 10 pound goose does? What did you expect from a person who could have weighed over 20 times as much?
We are all just fanboys, our opinions don't make or break businesses.

VCVSpotter

Fri May 08, 2020 7:04 am

Some more info regarding the specific flight/aircraft

https://www.flightglobal.com/air-transp ... 88.article
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

Just a normal teenager juggling AP classes and airplanes. No biggie • Love the 747 & 777-9 • Farewell KLM 747-400M

PANAMsterdam

Fri May 08, 2020 7:32 am

426Shadow wrote:

Have you seen what a 10 pound goose does? What did you expect from a person who could have weighed over 20 times as much?

Captain Sullenberger agrees with that comment.

What a tragedy for everyone involved. Perhaps the pilots have seen the person on the runway and couldn't avoid him or they heard suddenly a big bang and discovered this when they checked the engine .

I don't think the person has been sucked in the engine, cause otherwise it would have exploded and the plane would have been engulfed in flames so it might be reparable, but who cares about an engine if somebody has died.

:tombstone:
Every country has an airline. The world has Pan Am.

wjcandee

Fri May 08, 2020 7:44 am

On liveatc.net, it starts at 11:45 into the archive for Tower #1 at AUS, with DL819 (an A220 with a very clear radio) calling in and being cleared to land. WN is given taxi instructions and says "standby". WN then tells TWR that they believe there's a person on the runway. TWR tells DL819 to go around, and asks where WN sees the person. WN says, "Well, they're behind us, they're behind us now." (Uh...yeah.) TWR then asks them if they saw the person as they were touching down. WN answers affirmative. Interestingly, when TWR gives them taxi instructions to get to the gate, they say that they just want to pull off on Golf and hold position. Sounds possible that they saw (or heard or felt or imagined) more than they were willing to say on the radio, and didn't want to leave the scene.

The emergency response unfolds from there.

The interviews with the passengers on the left side of the plane are going to be interesting. Horrifying.

slcguy

Fri May 08, 2020 7:50 am

Tragic event, will be interesting to find out how that person got onto the movement area. Barring a split second or two of seeing the aircraft coming and not being able to do anything death would have been instantaneous. What struck me is that there were 54 people on the aircraft in the current situation. About 40% load factor which is not good but is better than expected now. Without researching Southwest flight schedules assuming this route used to be multiple frequencies probably reduced to one flight a day now.

wjcandee

Fri May 08, 2020 8:14 am

PANAMsterdam wrote:
. Perhaps the pilots have seen the person on the runway and couldn't avoid him or they heard suddenly a big bang and discovered this when they checked the engine .

I don't think the person has been sucked in the engine, cause otherwise it would have exploded and the plane would have been engulfed in flames so it might be reparable, but who cares about an engine if somebody has died.

Doubt the pilots discovered anything when "checking the engine". They called in immediately after stopping the aircraft, as they were about to clear the runway. They said on the radio that they saw somebody as they were touching down. The air cargo ramp is a small distance to the left of the threshhold of runway 17R, not a huge walk from one of those buildings to the early parts of that runway.

If the person were sucked into the engine at idle, I don't know the result. I do know that when a mechanic was sucked into a 737 engine in a horrible accident about 12 years ago, it was running at a higher power during a ground test. It didn't explode. It didn't even stop. It just brought him through. I know the details but don't care to repeat them. Suffice it to say that there would be no explosion.

That they appear to have found a "person who had no ID on him" suggests that he was not sucked into the engine, because finding anything intact answers the question.

Western727

Fri May 08, 2020 12:23 pm

wjcandee wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:
. Perhaps the pilots have seen the person on the runway and couldn't avoid him or they heard suddenly a big bang and discovered this when they checked the engine .

Doubt the pilots discovered anything when "checking the engine". They called in immediately after stopping the aircraft, as they were about to clear the runway. They said on the radio that they saw somebody as they were touching down. The air cargo ramp is a small distance to the left of the threshhold of runway 17R, not a huge walk from one of those buildings to the early parts of that runway.

If the person were sucked into the engine at idle, I don't know the result. I do know that when a mechanic was sucked into a 737 engine in a horrible accident about 12 years ago, it was running at a higher power during a ground test. It didn't explode. It didn't even stop. It just brought him through. I know the details but don't care to repeat them. Suffice it to say that there would be no explosion.

That they appear to have found a "person who had no ID on him" suggests that he was not sucked into the engine, because finding anything intact answers the question.

I agree that the person was not ingested.

17R/35L is surrounded by flat land with no obstacles for at least 1/4 mile in all directions. The cloud ceiling was not that low. This was no accident.
Jack @ AUS

BrazilExPat

Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 pm

Western727 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
PANAMsterdam wrote:

I agree that the person was not ingested.

17R/35L is surrounded by flat land with no obstacles for at least 1/4 mile in all directions. The cloud ceiling was not that low. This was no accident.

I’m also doubting they were ingested by the engine. Does anybody recall the photos of the ramper that was ingested by the the engine of a CO 737-500 in ELP, circa 2003 ish?
Gruesome does not even begin to describe it.

alpine1989

Fri May 08, 2020 12:31 pm

slcguy wrote:
Tragic event, will be interesting to find out how that person got onto the movement area. Barring a split second or two of seeing the aircraft coming and not being able to do anything death would have been instantaneous. What struck me is that there were 54 people on the aircraft in the current situation. About 40% load factor which is not good but is better than expected now. Without researching Southwest flight schedules assuming this route used to be multiple frequencies probably reduced to one flight a day now.

DAL-AUS is at 3x daily

Acey

Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 pm

wjcandee wrote:
The interviews with the passengers on the left side of the plane are going to be interesting. Horrifying.

Would you even see anything out the port side windows at 200 mph in the dark? Would have happened pretty quick.
If a man hasn't discovered something that he will die for, he isn't fit to live. -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

LimaFoxTango

Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:

Fun fact. Airports aren't impenetrable fortresses. They're still quite easy to get inside its perimeter.
You are said to be a good pilot when your take-off's equal your landings.

bob75013

Fri May 08, 2020 1:20 pm

Reports I heard on Dallas TV news this morning indicated that the pilot did see the victim, tried to avoid, but could not.

citationjet

Fri May 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

kiowa

Fri May 08, 2020 1:25 pm

Ishrion wrote:

The damage to the Southwest airplane is not important compared to the death of the man or woman that it hit.

RIP

Polot

Fri May 08, 2020 1:29 pm

bob75013 wrote:
Reports I heard on Dallas TV news this morning indicated that the pilot did see the victim, tried to avoid, but could not.

In the end there really is not much you can do to avoid. You are moving quickly while slowly down and it takes time to get airborne again, and you can’t quickly adjust the path of the aircraft unless you want to risk a potentially violent crash that kills half your passengers just to avoid one person on the runway.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Fri May 08, 2020 1:49 pm

The amount of psychological damage that people are suffering during this, be it through job loss, isolation, domestic abuse, illness, or all of the above, is the new Mount Everest we have before us as the clouds begin to clear. The amount of suicides, even in strange ways such as this and even the QX 400 incident, will be immense.

Be well out there.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

ScottB

Fri May 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Acey wrote:
Would you even see anything out the port side windows at 200 mph in the dark? Would have happened pretty quick.

It wouldn't have been dark just yet in Austin; that's right around sunset this time of year.

KlimaBXsst

Fri May 08, 2020 2:02 pm

Incident or accident?

I think the running count is up to 3 now at Southwest. How unfortunate for all involved parties. What the heck was this person thinking. Condolences to the family of the deceased.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

N766UA

Fri May 08, 2020 2:21 pm

MavyWavyATR wrote:

Shocking?? I think you need to adjust your understanding/expectations of “airport security.”

wezgulf3

Fri May 08, 2020 2:51 pm

This has to be a suicide? Semi daylight entering an airport and walking into an oncoming 737. Being that close to a 737 landing even if you are deaf you know it’s coming. I can’t believe anyone can accidentally walk into a jet that’s travelling around 100mph!

Not sure why some “doubt he/she wasnt ingested, I would say it’s 100% certain they weren’t, impossible to get that damage if something is going through the engine?

Thoughts with the family though, they won’t be getting any respite from this as I’m sure it’s plastered over the local news networks.

Wes...

IFlyVeryLittle

Fri May 08, 2020 3:07 pm

This notion that airports are somehow protected like a Bond villian's underground lair is preposterous. That this kind of thing doesn't happen more is a factor of people just dont hop the fence very often vs. them being caught by a crack defensive team. Mostly, these are low-bidder contractors armed with nothing but a walkie-talkie, driving around in four-cylinder Ford Rangers with blinky lights on the roof

bmartino99

Fri May 08, 2020 3:39 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
This notion that airports are somehow protected like a Bond villian's underground lair is preposterous. That this kind of thing doesn't happen more is a factor of people just dont hop the fence very often vs. them being caught by a crack defensive team. Mostly, these are low-bidder contractors armed with nothing but a walkie-talkie, driving around in four-cylinder Ford Rangers with blinky lights on the roof

I was under the impression most international airports had a dedicated police force? Austin certainly does.

ILNFlyer

Fri May 08, 2020 3:59 pm

Suicide by aircraft? I can think of easier ways.

johns624

Fri May 08, 2020 4:21 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

I was under the impression most international airports had a dedicated police force? Austin certainly does.
Yeah? Cities have dedicated police forces and crimes still occur.

FlyHappy

Fri May 08, 2020 4:43 pm

At first, I was thinking this is case of a person getting a high stakes "thrill", getting a low pass or ducking under wing - kind of an ultimate "Princess Juliana" experience; which still could be.

But the more I think about it, I'm leaning the idea that it was suicide, specifically with the idea of jumping into the engine; they just missed (but achieved the overall goal).

B737Captain1980

Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm

Folks, I'm reading posts from people stating whether the pilots knew they hit someone because of radio transmissions. We're not steering a multi million pound oil tanker. When I'm on approach, my feet are on the rudder pedals. When I hit a small bird the size of a quail, I can feel vibrations in the rudder pedals from body of the tiny bird tapping the wing. If I can feel the tapping of a small quail sized bird, they definitely felt/saw when they hit a 180 pound human. No question.

ro1960

Fri May 08, 2020 4:49 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Ever seen what happens to a car if you hit a deer (~100kg) at 100km/h. You can be lucky if the car is not totalled. So depending how fast the aircraft was, this is a relatively small damage or the nacelle is really sturdy.

Here's what happens when birds hit an A400M:

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1445915
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

bmartino99

Fri May 08, 2020 4:55 pm

johns624 wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply that police forces eliminate all crime. I was merely pointing out that most airports have a bit more than low-bid contractors.

11C

Fri May 08, 2020 5:24 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
bmartino99 wrote:

I wasn't trying to imply that police forces eliminate all crime. I was merely pointing out that most airports have a bit more than low-bid contractors.

Do you remember when JFK had a wayward boater wandering around on the airport? He made it all the way to the Delta terminal. “Boater’s strange odyssey exposes gap in JFK airport security,” is the headline of the LA times article.

FlyHappy

Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 pm

B737Captain1980 wrote:
Folks, I'm reading posts from people stating whether the pilots knew they hit someone because of radio transmissions. We're not steering a multi million pound oil tanker. When I'm on approach, my feet are on the rudder pedals. When I hit a small bird the size of a quail, I can feel vibrations in the rudder pedals from body of the tiny bird tapping the wing. If I can feel the tapping of a small quail sized bird, they definitely felt/saw when they hit a 180 pound human. No question.

Dumb question: is there a big (or any) difference in sensitivity to that small quail if it strikes after all gear have touched down vs still being a few feet in the air? My common sense instinct tells me that with full weight on the ground, the sensitivity would be much less. True or not? But yes, I get that a full size human would be felt at landing speed, regardless.

Dumb question 2: at your maximum flare, what is the approximate distance in front of the the aircraft do you think you see the runway at? Meaning, whats the span of the "blind spot" in front of you? (I know this varies alot).

thank you for your input, Captain.

FlyHappy

Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 pm

bmartino99 wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

I'm pretty confident that dedicated police unit spends the vast majority of its time and resources in the small enclosed areas where people are, vs the outlying large outdoor spaces where the flight ops actually take place.

chrisjake

Fri May 08, 2020 5:59 pm

wjcandee wrote:
On liveatc.net, it starts at 11:45 into the archive for Tower #1 at AUS, with DL819 (an A220 with a very clear radio) calling in and being cleared to land. WN is given taxi instructions and says "standby". WN then tells TWR that they believe there's a person on the runway. TWR tells DL819 to go around, and asks where WN sees the person. WN says, "Well, they're behind us, they're behind us now." (Uh...yeah.) TWR then asks them if they saw the person as they were touching down. WN answers affirmative. Interestingly, when TWR gives them taxi instructions to get to the gate, they say that they just want to pull off on Golf and hold position. Sounds possible that they saw (or heard or felt or imagined) more than they were willing to say on the radio, and didn't want to leave the scene.

I just tried to find this and could not. I hear ASH6100 land, and I hear SWA171 land. 1392 should have been 4 mins behind. I never hear DAL819 going around, but I do hear him landing on the LEFT side. Its as if its been omitted. Can anyone confirm?

marosbts

Fri May 08, 2020 6:03 pm

FlyHappy wrote:
I'm pretty confident that dedicated police unit spends the vast majority of its time and resources in the small enclosed areas where people are, vs the outlying large outdoor spaces where the flight ops actually take place.

The ABIA airport security is patrolling the perimeter of the airport perimeter quite often. Also police is checking up the perimeter from the outside. However, they typically do not control so much the movement of the people which already are airside. If this was a guy from the cargo ramp just snapping and committing suicide, there is very low chance the security team would intervene.

wjcandee

Fri May 08, 2020 6:24 pm

chrisjake wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

I just tried to find this and could not. I hear ASH6100 land, and I hear SWA171 land. 1392 should have been 4 mins behind. I never hear DAL819 going around, but I do hear him landing on the LEFT side. Its as if its been omitted. Can anyone confirm?

You're too far down the tape. Stop thinking about where it should be, and go to where it IS, which is 11:45 on the tape.

Fri May 08, 2020 6:45 pm

Years ago at PDX myself and one of my ramp guys were standing under one of our TWA L1011's at about 2am when he pointed at the runway and said hey, what is that? we looked as thus guy came walking up to us from across runway 10L/28R carrying a gas can. Said he ran out of gas on Marine drive and was wondering if we knew where he could find some. Told my ramp guy to wait with him and I will call someone who can help, the airport police. Don't know if he ever got his gas.

SwissCanuck

Fri May 08, 2020 7:09 pm

wjcandee wrote:

11:45 into which archive? what's the zulu time?

johns624

Fri May 08, 2020 7:13 pm

At DTW, I mainly see the police officers in the terminals. They have rent-a-cops patrolling the fence lines and checking that access gates are locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos