Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 4753
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 5:38 pm

Air Corail is being set up by a French/Spanish businessman to improve connections mainly within the French Pacific.

The new airline seeks to end the scarcity of regular air link to islands between New Caledonia and Tahiti.

Air Corail says it plans to employ 95 people and use either a small Airbus or an Embraer jet.

The company wants to cooperate with Air Tahiti Nui to access its network into North America and Europe and considers approaching Air New Zealand and also French Bee.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pac ... -next-year

Image
Image
mercure f-wtcc
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Would it be the first time such service is started? Wasn't there a UTA Caravelle hoping between islands ages ago?
 
SkyVoice
Posts: 398
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:34 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Interesting. I thought that Aircalin flew these routes, but they don't. I wish them well, especially given the times in which we live.
"Facing a crisis does not not build one's character, it reveals it."

"Tough times don't last. Tough people do."

- Robert H. Schuller
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10501
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 6:09 pm

Is there actually any demand between these islands?
 
User avatar
mercure1
Topic Author
Posts: 4753
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 6:24 pm

While demand is not massive,I fully expect that it should support few frequencies per week.
Today, unfortunately, one must often backtrack significant distances to places like Australia or New Zealand at quite high cost to travel.
Also while islands are linked by cargo ships, I am sure air service will also be able to carry some higher priority cargo and aid with economic and social links.
Of course the economics of operating in this region is not cheap either, so will the airline be viable is a good question.
mercure f-wtcc
 
ExMilitaryEng
Posts: 624
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:12 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 6:39 pm

All routes shown above are well within the A220 and 190/195E2 ranges. (Tahiti - Nadi is 3503 km).

We know the A220 will eventually be ETOP certified, but how about the E2?
 
TWA902fly
Posts: 3121
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 1999 5:47 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 6:57 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
ExMilitaryEng wrote:
All routes shown above are well within the A220 and 190/195E2 ranges. (Tahiti - Nadi is 3503 km).

We know the A220 will eventually be ETOP certified, but how about the E2?


A220 depending on configuration could even do PPT-NOU nonstop. It is similar distance to RIX-AUH, which Air Baltic flies.

As for ETOPS - is it required? There are so many islands with airports in between PPT and NOU, what are the regulations in regarding to operating with no ETOPS? Do Air Tahiti's ATRs have ETOPS?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on
 
oldJoe
Posts: 178
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 7:26 pm

TWA902fly wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
ExMilitaryEng wrote:
All routes shown above are well within the A220 and 190/195E2 ranges. (Tahiti - Nadi is 3503 km).

We know the A220 will eventually be ETOP certified, but how about the E2?


A220 depending on configuration could even do PPT-NOU nonstop. It is similar distance to RIX-AUH, which Air Baltic flies.

As for ETOPS - is it required? There are so many islands with airports in between PPT and NOU, what are the regulations in regarding to operating with no ETOPS? Do Air Tahiti's ATRs have ETOPS?

'902

In January 2019 Transport Canada granted ETOPS-180 for the A220 and Airbus claims AKL-PPT nonstop can be done

https://www.ifn.news/posts/airbus-a220- ... ification/
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5574
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 8:03 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
Interesting. I thought that Aircalin flew these routes, but they don't. I wish them well, especially given the times in which we live.

Aircalin do already fly from Wallis to Noumea and Nadi. The links eastward to Polynesia would be new.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
obelau24
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 8:10 pm

It’s been a while since I followed Air Calin but they used to operate NOU-NAN-WLS / NOU-WLS-PPT / NOU-PPT - the last one I’m pretty sure operated pre-Covid weekly with an A330; I think NAN-WLS was dropped but I believe WLS-PPT was still around weekly. The pax demand is probably minuscule but Cargo should have made the routes worthwhile. If SB is no longer on the routes, someone should figure out why they couldn’t make it work. If they are still on these routes then there’s no way in hell 2 operators can make it work.
 
Joelatbsl
Posts: 801
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Mon May 11, 2020 10:20 pm

When I first read "Corail", I thought about trains. In mainland France, this used to be a well-known SNCF brand for intercity trains ...
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 8:53 am

It is French for coral, which is in their logo.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC
 
richcandy
Posts: 734
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2001 4:49 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:07 am

Joelatbsl wrote:
When I first read "Corail", I thought about trains. In mainland France, this used to be a well-known SNCF brand for intercity trains ...


Funny that what I was thinking to.

Corail used to be the branding that SNCF used on their non TGV long distance trains?
 
SpaceshipDC10
Posts: 7001
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 12:09 pm

richcandy wrote:
Corail used to be the branding that SNCF used on their non TGV long distance trains?


Indeed, from 1975: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corail_(train)
 
F27500
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 12:52 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 12:23 pm

If t his is the livery they go with, its very pretty - - and nice NOT to see another all-white bore.
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5574
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 7:34 pm

Here’s their website: https://www.aircorail.com/

According to that, the specific aircraft under consideration are the A220-100 and the E190-E2.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
T4thH
Posts: 959
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 8:05 pm

OK, WF Aviation has finally found a name for their airline project.

Some older WF links from my own "watchlist" (a *.txt file): many have been already posted in the A220 threads. Use translators like Google.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/79985-wallis-futunas-wf-aviation-looks-to-break-monopoly
https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/wallisfutuna/future-compagnie-wf-aviation-interessee-nouvel-airbus-a220-769523.html
https://corporate.southpacificislands.travel/wf-aviation-to-operate-from-wallis/
http://outremers360.com/economie/desserte-aerienne-vers-une-seconde-compagnie-aerienne-a-wallis-et-futuna/
http://mahina-events.com/wf-aviation-un-projet-qui-donne-de-lespoir/?fbclid=IwAR1aMHqdBhnjb5VQNZacSDdWlUwTAtiKBOgSmwrvnvB_CyWcLCJ5FUyvkN4
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/angriff-auf-das-monopol-auf-der-suedseeinsel
https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/394249/new-airline-planned-for-wallis-and-futuna

Air Oceania and WF
http://outremers360.com/economie/desserte-aerienne-en-nouvelle-caledonie-airbus-fait-la-promotion-de-son-a220/

Air Tahiti
https://blueswandaily.com/air-tahiti-considering-e195-e2-and-a220-to-expand-international-network/

Please note, Wallis and Futuna are a French oversea department. The airline project is supported in some form by the French government.
So this is the first source, why the WF airline project was started:
https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/378219/wallis-and-futuna-promised-better-international-links

The stop of the A220 in New Caledonia during the Pacific tour was for WF aviation an for Air Oceania.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Air Calin already serves Noumea - Wallis 3 times a week and Nadi - Wallis twice a week. I know there are more Wallisian in New Caledonia (22K) than in Wallis itself (11K) but I can’t imagine the route supporting more than 1 carrier. We shall see.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:25 pm

Air Calin already serves Noumea - Wallis 3 times a week and Nadi - Wallis twice a week. I know there are more Wallisian in New Caledonia (22K) than in Wallis itself (11K) but I can’t imagine the route supporting more than 1 carrier. We shall see.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3359
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:29 pm

obelau24 wrote:
It’s been a while since I followed Air Calin but they used to operate NOU-NAN-WLS / NOU-WLS-PPT / NOU-PPT - the last one I’m pretty sure operated pre-Covid weekly with an A330; I think NAN-WLS was dropped but I believe WLS-PPT was still around weekly. The pax demand is probably minuscule but Cargo should have made the routes worthwhile. If SB is no longer on the routes, someone should figure out why they couldn’t make it work. If they are still on these routes then there’s no way in hell 2 operators can make it work.


I think that thats the most information we have to go on in addition to them presenting the tourism numbers of future destinations on their website:

https://www.aircorail.com/les-marches/

From what it seems they are really basing themselves off of tourism, VFR and minimal gov/biz travel between the following destinations. With what you said about Cargo being a big player in this region and specifically on this route do you think we could see them adapt the A220 or E2 to carry cargo as we see on the 737s? If anyone knows of any current cases of A220s/E2s being half passenger/ half-cargo that would be deeply appreciated to be brought up.
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3359
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Tue May 12, 2020 9:33 pm

In addition according to the following page seems that each of their routes will be flown on a 2-3 weekly basis:

https://www.air-corail.com/votre-compagnie/#!/la-flotte

Could that be too much demand on offer? How many people make up the total of all these destinations?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 798
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 8:56 am

I thought years ago, didn't AOM have some sort of a Pacific network? I am sure they use to fly into Sydney.
 
nicode
Posts: 252
Joined: Fri May 11, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 am

obelau24 wrote:
It’s been a while since I followed Air Calin but they used to operate NOU-NAN-WLS / NOU-WLS-PPT / NOU-PPT - the last one I’m pretty sure operated pre-Covid weekly with an A330; I think NAN-WLS was dropped but I believe WLS-PPT was still around weekly. The pax demand is probably minuscule but Cargo should have made the routes worthwhile. If SB is no longer on the routes, someone should figure out why they couldn’t make it work. If they are still on these routes then there’s no way in hell 2 operators can make it work.

Unless mistaken, Air Calin never flew WLS-PPT, it always has been the direct NOU-PPT.

However, will it be a French Polynesia or French Caledonia based airline ?

Flyingsottsman wrote:
I thought years ago, didn't AOM have some sort of a Pacific network? I am sure they use to fly into Sydney.

AOM flew to SYD but from CDG.
UTA had a Pacific network, not AOM.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 10:16 am

nicode wrote:
AOM flew to SYD but from CDG.
UTA had a Pacific network, not AOM.


They didn’t, they flew from ORY. Routing was ORY-CMB-SYD-NOU

And I’m pretty sure at one point they served NOU as a tag on to their PPT service. So ORY-LAX-PPT-NOU
 
User avatar
VirginFlyer
Posts: 5574
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2000 12:27 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 11:53 am

nicode wrote:
However, will it be a French Polynesia or French Caledonia based airline ?

Neither; it will be a Wallis-based airline. It will be interesting to see if they do get going whether they try to take on the service between Wallis and Futuna as well, currently operated by Aircalin in a Twin Otter.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh
 
AOMlover
Posts: 1209
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2001 6:03 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Funny how their livery looks quite similar to the Hifly A380 "save the coral reefs" livery.



I'm not too sure what to think about that project. Demand between Noumea and Pape'ete is already quite limited (Aircalin have been flying a single weekly PPT-NOU flight for years), and I'm not sure what kind of demand would exist between Wallis, Apia or Nadi and Pape'ete.

In the Pacific, the only big market out of PPT is Auckland. Noumea, Honolulu and Easter Island can only sustain a single weekly flight. Plus Rarotonga (Cook Islands) on Air Tahiti. They're all part of the Polynesian sphere, unlike Wallis or Nadi.
 
Thibault973
Posts: 322
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:11 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 1:54 pm

AOMlover wrote:
Funny how their livery looks quite similar to the Hifly A380 "save the coral reefs" livery.



I'm not too sure what to think about that project. Demand between Noumea and Pape'ete is already quite limited (Aircalin have been flying a single weekly PPT-NOU flight for years), and I'm not sure what kind of demand would exist between Wallis, Apia or Nadi and Pape'ete.

In the Pacific, the only big market out of PPT is Auckland. Noumea, Honolulu and Easter Island can only sustain a single weekly flight. Plus Rarotonga (Cook Islands) on Air Tahiti. They're all part of the Polynesian sphere, unlike Wallis or Nadi.


If I’m not mistaken HNL-PPT went twice weekly something like a year ago.
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2802
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Thibault973 wrote:
nicode wrote:
AOM flew to SYD but from CDG.
UTA had a Pacific network, not AOM.


They didn’t, they flew from ORY. Routing was ORY-CMB-SYD-NOU

And I’m pretty sure at one point they served NOU as a tag on to their PPT service. So ORY-LAX-PPT-NOU


There was a very short lived AOM service ORY-LAX-NOU. I think it continued to SYD after the CMB service ended.
 
geardown
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:01 am

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 5:54 pm

HNL-PPT is/was only twice weekly during the high season.
 
User avatar
PacificRim
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 14, 2020 8:44 pm

Re: Air Corail new proposed French Pacific based airline

Thu May 14, 2020 9:05 pm

AOMlover wrote:
They're all part of the Polynesian sphere, unlike Wallis or Nadi.

Both Wallis ('Uvea) and Futuna are Polynesian islands.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos