Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airboeingbus
Topic Author

What happened to Antonov?

Mon May 11, 2020 10:31 pm

I never hear about Antonov these days, are they still making planes or have they just become dormant? I would love for them to get back In to the market big time again!

bkmbr

Re: What happened to Antonov?

Mon May 11, 2020 10:38 pm

In 2017 the Ukrainian government approved the liquidation of Antonov. The conflict between Ukraine and Russia killed the company. Antonov Airlines still exists though.

airboeingbus
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2020 10:51 pm

bkmbr wrote:
In 2017 the Ukrainian government approved the liquidation of Antonov. The conflict between Ukraine and Russia killed the company. Antonov Airlines still exists though.

That's a shame, we need more manufacturers. I did hear a few years back they where joining a partnership with Boeing for part supply.

conaly

Tue May 12, 2020 7:11 am

Russia is still planning to reestablish a production of a modernized An-124. Even though the current Antontov-company is located Ukraine, during the Soviet times it was a Russian company (founded in Novosibirsk, just some time later relocated to Kiev) and all the money came from Moscow anyway. Therefore, it seems Russia still has all the technology for this airplane.

There were actually two plans to produce more An-124. One was to use the Aviastar facilities in Ulyanovsk (part of UAC today), the other plan by Volge-Dnepr Airlines was to use their own maintenance facilities in Leipzig for the final assembly. Neither plan is looking too promising at the moment...
Airports 2019: ADB, ALG, AMD, ATL, BOG, BOS, CDG, CTS, DEL, DTW, DUS, EWR, FRA, FUK, HAM, HFT, HIJ, HND, HVG, IST, ITM, JFK, MUC, NGO, NUE, OKA, PHL, SIN, STN, TOS, YYZ, ZRH
Airports 2020: ALG, CTS, FRA, HKG, HND, MSQ, MUC, NUE, TLV, ZRH

Flyingsottsman

Tue May 12, 2020 7:22 am

How big was Antonov. compared to Tupolev and Ilyushin and Yakolev from the 1950s right through to the 2000,s of late I have had a real interest in the Russian jets.

VSMUT

Tue May 12, 2020 7:31 am

conaly wrote:
Russia is still planning to reestablish a production of a modernized An-124. Even though the current Antontov-company is located Ukraine, during the Soviet times it was a Russian company (founded in Novosibirsk, just some time later relocated to Kiev) and all the money came from Moscow anyway. Therefore, it seems Russia still has all the technology for this airplane.

There were actually two plans to produce more An-124. One was to use the Aviastar facilities in Ulyanovsk (part of UAC today), the other plan by Volge-Dnepr Airlines was to use their own maintenance facilities in Leipzig for the final assembly. Neither plan is looking too promising at the moment...

AFAIK, current plans revolve around Ilyushin developing the PAK-VTA, the renders of which look like an improved and upsized An-124:

SueD

Tue May 12, 2020 10:05 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
How big was Antonov. compared to Tupolev and Ilyushin and Yakolev from the 1950s right through to the 2000,s of late I have had a real interest in the Russian jets.

Sort of misconception of the SSSR aviation industries - There were design houses AND manufacturing facilities that were actually separate operations.

BawliBooch

Tue May 12, 2020 12:02 pm

VSMUT wrote:
AFAIK, current plans revolve around Ilyushin developing the PAK-VTA, the renders of which look like an improved and upsized An-124:

Hmmm! Long back, i remember seeing a rendering of a BWB type replacement for the An-124.

Did the plan change?

Antonov bureau is a huge repository of knowledge and experience in Transport aircraft - especially Military Transports. As such, Russia sees it as a strategic asset. Might see a revival of the bureau activities within the UAC framework?
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

IWMBH

Tue May 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Does Russia have the funds for such a large undertaking? And do they really need a new large transport aircraft?
Seems easier just to upgrade the existing fleet of AN-124's and order some more new IL-76's to fill the gaps.
A bit like the US did with the C-5 and the C-17.

I thought the Chinese where interested in new A-124/225's?

SEU

Tue May 12, 2020 12:15 pm

Antonov 124s are in heavy use at the moment, love typing in A124 on flight radar at the moment.

AleksW

Tue May 12, 2020 12:51 pm

I doubt there will be any modernized An-124. As has been mentioned already, IL-106 will become a replacement for AN-124.

VSMUT

Tue May 12, 2020 1:18 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Hmmm! Long back, i remember seeing a rendering of a BWB type replacement for the An-124.

Did the plan change?

Antonov bureau is a huge repository of knowledge and experience in Transport aircraft - especially Military Transports. As such, Russia sees it as a strategic asset. Might see a revival of the bureau activities within the UAC framework?

This one?

It was a school project done by a student at a marketing school of some sort. Somewhere, someone decided to poorly translate the source material and interpret it as an official project. Western media then uncritically picked up the mistranslation and ran with it without ever bothering to fact check. The numbers should have been a dead giveaway - it was claimed to be both supersonic, stealthy, electrically powered and able to lift 400 tanks.

I'm not sure Antonov is that valuable when it comes to developing future transport aircraft. The makeup of the Soviet aviation industry meant that a lot of the work and data was done or replicated in Russia. Why bother with the husk of a design bureau in Ukraine when all you need was backed up in the Central Aerohydrodynamic Institute?

mxaxai

Tue May 12, 2020 3:07 pm

AleksW wrote:
I doubt there will be any modernized An-124. As has been mentioned already, IL-106 will become a replacement for AN-124.

The payload and cargo volume of the An-124 is still unrivaled. The only other outsized cargo aircraft in production or development right now are the modernized & reengined Il-76, and much smaller the A400M, C-2, KC-390 and L-100J. There are no civil or military aircraft in serious development that could compare to the An-124. So if demand for such a size persists, we might eventually see a glass cockpit and a new engine. That way you could remove the navigator and flight engineers. But such an upgrade is still fairly expensive so it's equally possible that it remains mostly unchanged just like the DC-3 and other niche aircraft.

Starfuryt

Tue May 12, 2020 3:54 pm

I don't see Antonov being able to do any serious upgrades to the aircraft w/o Russian help. The number of Russian parts in the aircraft is too great. So as long as the current political situation persists, Antonov is going exactly nowhere, which is a damn shame if you ask me. Also as far as the engine upgrade is concerned, the original requirement was that the engines were Russian/Soviet made. While Ukraine might drop this requirement I do not see Russia getting rid of it, and currently I'm not sure if there are any viable replacements for the D-18T.

alberchico

Tue May 12, 2020 4:19 pm

https://www.amazon.com/Wings-Above-Plan ... 559&sr=8-2

I bought this book on Antonov last year and it has a wealth of information on the history of Ukrainian aviation since the fall of the USSR. Essentially Antonov during the 1990's was on the verge of liquidation but the foreign currency generated by the airline division chartering their AN-124's all over world allowed the company to survive and continue development of several aircraft programs such as the AN-70, the AN-140 and the AN-148. Unfortunately the first two programs have been dismal failures, while the AN-148/158 family has been only been a moderate success with less than 50 airframes delivered before demand evaporated.

They also had a heavily modernized version of the AN-32 under development with Saudi Arabia called the AN-132 before the Saudis pulled out so that program is also dead in the water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov/Taqnia_An-132

However the AN-148 project has been salvaged as a heavily redesigned military and civil transport The AN-178 is the only aircraft project that Ukraine has at the moment that could be a moderate success

Last edited by alberchico on Tue May 12, 2020 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

alberchico

Tue May 12, 2020 4:32 pm

Ukraine is also cooperating with Turkey on aerospace projects for military use, such as a large armed UAV, but that is beyond the scope of this discussion. But there is still a future for Ukrainian aerospace.

https://jamestown.org/program/the-akinc ... operation/

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/26716 ... ested_Soon

https://www.defensenews.com/unmanned/20 ... echnology/
short summary of every jewish holiday: they tried to kill us ,we won , lets eat !

pipeafcr

Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm

What are the chances that we could see Antonov merging with Airbus' defense division or working in joint projects like Leonardo and BAE have done?
Felipe Carrillo

FlyingElvii

Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 pm

airboeingbus wrote:
I never hear about Antonov these days, are they still making planes or have they just become dormant? I would love for them to get back In to the market big time again!

Antotov had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of the border when the Soviet Union fell apart, left in the most politically corrupt nation on the planet.

Even with brilliant designs and a low cast environment, that's tough to overcome.

LucaDiMontanari

Tue May 12, 2020 8:41 pm

bkmbr wrote:

This is not correct, actually Antonov still exists and builds planes (a few...). What the Ukrainian government killed back in 2017 was the Antonov State Concern, which was the former holding. They moved the Antonov State Company (the plane manufacturer) together with the State enterprise Plant 410 of Civil Aviation (the production facility) into Ukroboronprom, which is the state owned Ukrainian Defense Industry Company, now acting as the holding for Antonov. Upon this move, the Antonov State Concern became redundant and was eventually shut down. While not exactly healthy, Antonov itself is still alive. At the moment, they are ramping up the An-178 production for Peru Air Force, as per their website.

bkmbr

Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 am

LucaDiMontanari wrote:
bkmbr wrote:

This is not correct, actually Antonov still exists and builds planes (a few...). What the Ukrainian government killed back in 2017 was the Antonov State Concern, which was the former holding. They moved the Antonov State Company (the plane manufacturer) together with the State enterprise Plant 410 of Civil Aviation (the production facility) into Ukroboronprom, which is the state owned Ukrainian Defense Industry Company, now acting as the holding for Antonov. Upon this move, the Antonov State Concern became redundant and was eventually shut down. While not exactly healthy, Antonov itself is still alive. At the moment, they are ramping up the An-178 production for Peru Air Force, as per their website.

Well was in part correct at least. I`m happy to see that at least something survived and I hope they still producing airplanes for a long time, I find the AN-148/AN-158 very interesting although I never had the chance to fly on them. How about the "russian antonov", they still producing the AN-148 as well? The AN-148/158 still grounded ?

ei146

Wed May 13, 2020 6:25 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Antotov had the misfortune of being on the wrong side of the border when the Soviet Union fell apart, left in the most politically corrupt nation on the planet.

I'd have a hard time to decide on which side of that border there is more poltical corruption. Corruption indices of independent organisations (like Transparency International) tend to be higher though for the "right side" of the border according to your definition. And "the most politically corrupt nation on the planet"? Both sides do not deserve that dubious honour.
Living in an environment of corruption does not prevent you from running a successful business though. There are plenty of examples in history and now. You just have to play by the rules (which in these cases are not written in books of law) and be as ruthless as all the other leaders around you. Of course this would increase your costs of business. Fairness and open competition will lose. But in the end the costs are carried by the whole society, and there especially by the poorest and weakest, as always.
But you are correct with the wrong side for a different reason: The major business of plane makers and design offices in Russia is with the armed forces. The Ukraine does not have the means and need to maintain its own completly independent military aviation industrie, an therefore did not save all of Antonov at all costs. But as was written before, they saved some parts.

Phosphorus

Wed May 13, 2020 7:03 am

bkmbr wrote:

One piece of the Antonov group, a holding company, was liquidated.
Antonov itself is there. It even tries to build something under quarantine:
https://antonov.com/en/article/dp-anton ... -dlya-peru
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

VSMUT

Wed May 13, 2020 7:11 am

ei146 wrote:
The Ukraine

It is just "Ukraine". There is no "the" preceding it.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/05/uk ... geography/

“Saying ‘the Ukraine’ is more than a grammatical mistake — it is inappropriate and disrespectful for Ukraine and Ukrainians,” she wrote. Attaching “the” in front of the name not only suggests that Ukraine is a “sub-part or region of a country,” like “the Fens in England, the Algarve in Portugal, and the Highlands in Scotland,” but it implies that Ukraine is a vassal state, a colonial territory, whereas “Ukraine is no longer a part of another country or empire,” she emphasized. “After many hard battles, it has become an independent, unitary state.”

ei146

Wed May 13, 2020 7:53 am

VSMUT wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I apologise. My first language is German. Here we use "die Ukraine", even in official government documents. We also say "die Slowakei" for Slovakia or "die Mongolei" for Mongolia. Which in no way questions their territorial integrity or political independence. I was not aware that "the" makes such a difference in English.

Ty134A

Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am

ei146 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

I'd have a hard time to decide on which side of that border there is more poltical corruption. Corruption indices of independent organisations (like Transparency International) tend to be higher though for the "right side" of the border according to your definition. And "the most politically corrupt nation on the planet"? Both sides do not deserve that dubious honour.
Living in an environment of corruption does not prevent you from running a successful business though. There are plenty of examples in history and now. You just have to play by the rules (which in these cases are not written in books of law) and be as ruthless as all the other leaders around you. Of course this would increase your costs of business. Fairness and open competition will lose. But in the end the costs are carried by the whole society, and there especially by the poorest and weakest, as always.
But you are correct with the wrong side for a different reason: The major business of plane makers and design offices in Russia is with the armed forces. The Ukraine does not have the means and need to maintain its own completly independent military aviation industrie, an therefore did not save all of Antonov at all costs. But as was written before, they saved some parts.

Very political statement that is. You should not believe everything the media reports about Russia in the free world. Just compare Russia to Saudi Arabia, what each one does with homosexuals, with it‘s neighboring countries, whom they support worldwide, and then compare the reaction to the „dictator“ Putin and the Saudi Royals in the free world.

In the Soviet Union, planes were designed by one company, a design bureau (Tupolev, Yakovlev, Beriev, Antonov, ...) and built in a manufacturing company, for example in Harkov, Samara, Tashkent, Ulyanovsk, Saratov, Moscow and so on. You could build a Tu-204 in Kazan and Ulyanovsk... very flexible that is. Ohhh and a funny one is Hesa in Isfahan.

In Gostomel they, as far as I understand, built An-124, but also in Ulyanovsk. Most of the Antonovs are actually Russian intellectual products, such as An-124, which was designed mostly in Russia by different companies, but also by Antonov. There is actually not a single plane ever designed and built solely by Antonov. Ot the An-148, not An-140, not even An-132 (which is based on the Soviet An-24. The wing design of ARJ-21 ist from Antonov as far as I know.

So the company is not all that much of a plane maker after all. And the picture above with the An-178 and the Hummers is more than symbolic for the state Antonov and Ukraine is in. Ukraine is a country with an industry nobody needs. The only use the west makes of this country is to bother Russia a bit. But who in his right mind the western air forces or airlines would order an Antonov? So the new partners dont need Ukraine, people in Europe dont want them in the EU, the list goes on end ends at Antonov, a company thats products are very well built in Samara and Voronesh, for the minor demand there is for planes like these in Russia.

Hopefully the EU does not waste my tax money in this country and into this company. But the decisions made in the EU are made by the ones donating those nice three Hummers up there anyways.
TU3/5,T20,IL8/6/W/9,I14,YK4/2,AN2/4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80/2/7,
AB4/6,318-321,313,332/3,342/3/5/6,712,703,722,732/3/4/5/G/8,741/L/2/3/4,752/3,763,
77E/W,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,142/3,AR8/1,SF3,S20,D38,MIH,EM4,E75/90/95,AT7,DHT/3/4,CRJ/7/9

ei146

Wed May 13, 2020 8:46 am

Ty134A wrote:
...You should not believe everything the media reports about Russia in the free world...

I do not believe in media reports. I gather information, if possible from different sources. I assess those information according to my knowledge and my past experience. And then I form my opinion. Which may change if better information comes in. Or I don't have enough good information to have an opinion.
But growing up in Eastern Germany with easy access to information from different sides (I lived outside of the "Tal der Ahnungslosen".) I can smell propaganda a mile against the wind.
And I really have a problem with people telling me what to believe or not to believe.

AndoAv8R

Wed May 13, 2020 1:59 pm

I thought I read somewhere earlier this year (cant remember the source, I seem to think flightglobal) that Antonov was considering restarting production of the AN-124 (not connected with the russians and their new AN-124 replacement) with some modern upgrades and replacing some of the russian sourced parts to western parts, as well as considering finishing the uncompleted AN-225 Mryia due to such high demand for the current 124s.

Also can someone explain how Antonov Airlines is connected? Is the airline being run by the same branch as the aircraft manufacturing is under or is there a parent company/holding that has separate branches under it?

NameOmitted

Wed May 13, 2020 2:44 pm

ei146 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

Thanks for the correction. I apologise. My first language is German. Here we use "die Ukraine", even in official government documents. We also say "die Slowakei" for Slovakia or "die Mongolei" for Mongolia. Which in no way questions their territorial integrity or political independence. I was not aware that "the" makes such a difference in English.

It's not universally that way in English, this is a multi-lingual trick. Ukraine, in Russian, literally means "border region." On its own and capitalized it becomes a proper noun, but adding the article implies that it's an improper noun. Instead of being its own region, it becomes the border of something else.

Like everything else in this crazy language, this is a highly situational rule. No shame in not having been aware of it.

airboeingbus
Topic Author

Wed May 13, 2020 7:22 pm

Interesting, it would be good if Antonov specialised in making large Freighters like the AN124 and AN225 again. I'm sure there's quite a market for that.

DocLightning

Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 pm

I wonder about a re-engine, but the trouble is that the Progress D-18T engines are rated at 51,000 lbf. Currently, there is no modern engine in production to my knowledge that falls in that thrust range. The LEAP and PW1000 only go up to about 33,000lbf and the lowest-thrust larger modern engine is the GEnX-2b, which is at about 66,000. I guess they could do a software de-rate on a GEnX-2b. Otherwise they could go with a CF6, but that's not really a modern engine, even if GE is still building them. But a re-engine could dramatically reduce fuel consumption over the 40yo Progress D-18s and save Antonov Airlines operating costs and extend the range of the AN-124 and AN-225.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

VSMUT

Wed May 13, 2020 8:43 pm

DocLightning wrote:
I wonder about a re-engine, but the trouble is that the Progress D-18T engines are rated at 51,000 lbf. Currently, there is no modern engine in production to my knowledge that falls in that thrust range. The LEAP and PW1000 only go up to about 33,000lbf and the lowest-thrust larger modern engine is the GEnX-2b, which is at about 66,000. I guess they could do a software de-rate on a GEnX-2b. Otherwise they could go with a CF6, but that's not really a modern engine, even if GE is still building them. But a re-engine could dramatically reduce fuel consumption over the 40yo Progress D-18s and save Antonov Airlines operating costs and extend the range of the AN-124 and AN-225.

You would run into other issues with a new engine. The D-18T is a lightweight engine. The heavier GEnx used by the 747-8 would eat 6 tons of payload on the An-124.

DocLightning

Wed May 13, 2020 8:49 pm

VSMUT wrote:
You would run into other issues with a new engine. The D-18T is a lightweight engine. The heavier GEnx used by the 747-8 would eat 6 tons of payload on the An-124.

You're right. ~3,000lb x4 engines. I wonder if the difference in fuel burn would compensate on an average stage length.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

VSMUT

Wed May 13, 2020 9:00 pm

DocLightning wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

You're right. ~3,000lb x4 engines. I wonder if the difference in fuel burn would compensate on an average stage length.

Well not just that, but the economics of heavy lift jobs can be somewhat different too. Some customers are willing to pay for really heavy lifts that make short hops all the way to the destination.

ur80707

Wed May 13, 2020 10:23 pm

Antonov is now part of UKROBORONPROM (which is Ukrainian national company in charge of exporting defence products).
Currently they are finishing a sole 178 which was sold to Peru, and should be in the country and flying for Police, National guard or the Air Force of Peru (not sure which).
Than the National Guard of Ukraine has signed LOI for some aircraft a mix of AN-32 and 178, however, this has not been firmed as far I know (might be incorrect).
The plant also has made a small batch of UAV's for the Air Force.
So the correct term for Antonov might not be "liquidated" but merged into the defence agency. For the best or worst, it is still there and acquisition of the 178 for the Air Force to replace the IL-76 and the rest of flying relics is only a question of time and I suppose wont happen until the situation gets critical and some money needs to be injected to keep this dinosaur going for another decade or so.

ur80707

Wed May 13, 2020 10:28 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
airboeingbus wrote:

Even with brilliant designs and a low cast environment, that's tough to overcome.

Is that statement a result of some traumatic experience you have had in the past, or something factually backed up?
Finding hard time to think of anything successful made on either "side of the border" since 1990.

Phosphorus

Fri May 15, 2020 6:44 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:

Also can someone explain how Antonov Airlines is connected? Is the airline being run by the same branch as the aircraft manufacturing is under or is there a parent company/holding that has separate branches under it?

Well, you asked the correct question.
It deserves a long answer.

For several years, there existed a state-owned legal entity, "Antonov Aeronautical Scientific-Technical Complex" ("Antonov ASTC"), and it included:
1) Antonov Design Bureau: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov
2) Antonov Plant Kiev: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_S ... tion_Plant
3) Antonov Airlines: https://antonov.com/en/airlines
4) Svyatoshyn Airfield Kiev: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoshyn_Airfield
5) Gostomel Airport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostomel_Airport
6) a bunch of other assets
7) Kharkiv Aircraft plant

State-owned companies in post-communist countries are rarely examples of efficiency. Reorganizations are also a nice way of keep everyone busy, without doing much work. In case of Antonov ASTC, there was a weak link -- Kharkiv Aircraft Plant was in default, due to management graft (GM convicted to jail time for stealing company money).
As a result, a reorganization was launched. Legal entity "Antonov Aeronautical Scientific-Technical Complex" was liquidated, and a new state-owned company "Antonov State Enterprise", was created, within state UOP defense holding https://ukroboronprom.com.ua/en/

Today, "Antonov State Enterprise" https://antonov.com/en
includes the following subsidiaries:
1) Antonov Design Bureau: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov
2) Antonov Plant Kiev: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_S ... tion_Plant
3) Antonov Airlines: https://antonov.com/en/airlines
4) Svyatoshyn Airfield Kiev: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sviatoshyn_Airfield
5) Gostomel Airport: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hostomel_Airport
6) a bunch of other assets

Kharkiv Aircraft plant, that used to be #7 on this list, was folded into UOP, and is in work-out. It's no longer part of Antonov, but they share a corporate parent.

So, short answer is -- Antonov Airlines is a part of Antonov company.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Fri May 15, 2020 8:59 pm

ur80707 wrote:
Finding hard time to think of anything successful made on either "side of the border" since 1990.

Well, Russian Vodka is still considered to be among the best; and Kiev Cake (only made in Kiev Ukraine) is still popular in many countries (including Russia) and it's certainly at the top of its market niche.

Both products are available in any major city in Europe and the USA. My wife buys Kiev cake in Milwaukee, WI (She's not into Vodka - but that's in the same store). We have seen the same product selections in several stores in the Chicago area that also serve "Eastern Europe" immigrants.

My wife also likes buying several other "local" products from her home country in the same stores.

As far as Antonov. I actually believe that they will yet emerge as an active aircraft maker again based on my wife's reports on what is going in in Ukraine in the technology sectors.

Have a great day,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos