Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Wingtips56
Topic Author

PAE/Paine Field 10-week suspension

Sat May 16, 2020 11:53 pm

Apologies if this is already posted, but I didn't find it.

It appears that airline flights will be suspended at PAE/Paine Field, Everett, Washington, for 10 weeks: 22 May through 31 July for maintenance and repairs. Rather than work around the COVID-19 reduced schedules, the operator decided to just close it down and get it all done.

My source: The Sacramento Bee, but they picked it up from the Associated Press. https://www.sacbee.com/news/article242784576.html
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 181 airports, 92 airlines, 78 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,119,414 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

DL747400

Re: PAE/Paine Field 10-week suspension

Sun May 17, 2020 12:21 am

Makes sense to get the work done now. With so many people not traveling at present, I don't see this affecting any significant number of people.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

enilria

Sun May 17, 2020 1:58 am

I suspect AS suggested this

ericm2031

Sun May 17, 2020 2:38 am

I must have missed it, but didn't realize UA has been running PAE-PDX-DEN as a tag flight (but you can't book a connection in PDX and have to go to DEN first, as is the same with the other UA tag flights vs AS tag flights). It would make more sense to me to stop at a ton of other smaller airports between PAE and DEN and consolidate, than a large city like PDX. Now that I'm looking at it more, it's also surprising UA is only running 1 E75 on PDX-DEN (vs much smaller airports running same frequency and gauge, but no WN competition).

With regards to the construction...if this is new ramp space, what happened that would have caused a pre-COVID crisis 4 month construction project on a brand new ramp?

alasizon

Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 am

ericm2031 wrote:
I must have missed it, but didn't realize UA has been running PAE-PDX-DEN as a tag flight (but you can't book a connection in PDX and have to go to DEN first, as is the same with the other UA tag flights vs AS tag flights). It would make more sense to me to stop at a ton of other smaller airports between PAE and DEN and consolidate, than a large city like PDX. Now that I'm looking at it more, it's also surprising UA is only running 1 E75 on PDX-DEN (vs much smaller airports running same frequency and gauge, but no WN competition).

With regards to the construction...if this is new ramp space, what happened that would have caused a pre-COVID crisis 4 month construction project on a brand new ramp?

I believe only the immediate ground around the terminal is new, the rest I believe is the existing asphalt. Perhaps the asphalt needs repair which cuts off access to the terminal?
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

mwthekoopinator

Sun May 17, 2020 3:16 am

alasizon wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

I believe only the immediate ground around the terminal is new, the rest I believe is the existing asphalt. Perhaps the asphalt needs repair which cuts off access to the terminal?

The ramp is new, but the asphalt is too soft for the E175, causing them to sink into the ground a bit. They've broken several shear pins on pushback thanks to that. This should completely redo all that new pavement so planes don't sink anymore.

FATFlyer

Sun May 17, 2020 3:05 pm

The Seattle Times said they will replace the asphalt with concrete.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

madpropsyo

Sun May 17, 2020 4:20 pm

enilria wrote:

Oof, you'll never skip an opportunity to take a shot at AS will you?

mxaxai

Sun May 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Presumably Boeing will be unaffected by this? Since the construction is focused around the ramp and not the runways & taxiways.

Cubsrule

Sun May 17, 2020 5:42 pm

madpropsyo wrote:
enilria wrote:

Oof, you'll never skip an opportunity to take a shot at AS will you?

How’s it a shot? Presumably AS and the airport had been in touch about the pavement issues. Of course AS would suggest making the repairs during a period of historically low demand (and also historically low road traffic, which takes away a big part of PAE’s appeal). If the issue had been at, say, DAL, you can almost guarantee WN would have done the same thing.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ericm2031

Sun May 17, 2020 5:58 pm

mwthekoopinator wrote:
alasizon wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

The ramp is new, but the asphalt is too soft for the E175, causing them to sink into the ground a bit. They've broken several shear pins on pushback thanks to that. This should completely redo all that new pavement so planes don't sink anymore.

Sounds like a pretty poor design then considering WN was planning on using 737s and AS was always expected to upgauge in the future as well.

alasizon

Sun May 17, 2020 6:26 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
mwthekoopinator wrote:
alasizon wrote:

Sounds like a pretty poor design then considering WN was planning on using 737s and AS was always expected to upgauge in the future as well.

Sounds like a very poor design or a manufacturing defect. I can't imagine the original design called for asphalt that didn't meet normal standards.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

wedgetail737

Sun May 17, 2020 7:06 pm

I was hoping for additional ramp space for the likes of Kenmore Air or San Juan Airlines, where they can be consolidated into one terminal.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos