Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Revelation

Re: Emirates CEO says no new widebodies will launch in years

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:37 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Basically, we already know the NMA is delayed. But development won't stop. Only half of new technology can be retrofitted to an existing design. So eventually we will develop new widebodies. But not in the near term.

The problem is that we now need to redefine near term, it's hard to use the term without a redefinition.

Even before CV19 the press was talking about the airliner bubble. Even before CV19 RR was losing money due to the cost of T1000 rework and compensation. Even before CV19, GE was restructuring at the corporate level. Even before CV19, PW was struggling with GTF "durability" issues. Even before CV19, Boeing was up to its eyeballs in red ink due to MCAS and had stood down NMA. Now with CV19 the entire revenue stream of the entire industry has taken a ~80% hit and no one can predict the recovery timeline. Now the industry is still coasting on financing secured before CV19 and it's clear the financial community is going to be taking some major hits as many of their assumptions about asset value are now incorrect so new financing will be very challenging. The world's largest economy is now entering Wave 1b of CV19.

I think all the major players had just made huge investments before CV19 and will be very reluctant to make huge investments after CV19 until their old investments are paying off, and I think that will take longer than most people think.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

FiscAutTecGarte

Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:55 pm

johns624 wrote:
Duh, that's a nobrainer. Look at it from the opposite point of view. Boeing has the 777X and 787 and Airbus has the A350 and A330neo. All are relatively new designs. Why would there be a new widebody for years?

That was my reaction too.... Sort of a Captian Obvious Conclusion even pre-Covid19. We always knew NMA was going to be a single isle anyway.... so no one was really expecting any new widebodies for sometimes... sans that aforementioned 767-400 freighter... and perhaps some wb freighter activity on the Airbus side... Boeing wasn't going to have a line-up of 3 widebodies 777,787,797(nma) and still just fly around the 737MAX for single aisle mission/markets....
learning never stops...

FischAutoTechGarten is the full handle and it reflects my interest. It's abbreviated to fit A.net short usernames.

smartplane

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:43 pm

2175301 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
The only new wide-body I could see launching is the Airbus A330-800neo-based freighter at 251 metric tons, which would be an instant improvement over the 233 metric ton A332 freighter (which could also be de-rated to 242 metric tons)...the idea being to have enough range to compete with the Boeing 777 freighter. The Boeing 767 will need to be re-engined, as I do see hundreds of examples, mostly if not all freighters by then, with maybe LATAM and a few CIS operators still flying passenger examples, still in service by then.

Why new build freighter when so many frames are going to be available to convert?

The question, which I have not yet figured out from the "proposed" EPA Aircraft emissions standard: How are P2F conversions handled under the standard? That was not obvious to me. It is obvious that the current 767F will not be allowed when the 2028 standards kick in. Does that also mean that 767 P2F conversions also stop at that point? That only the "neo's" "max" or other recent upgrade designations can be converted?

This question clearly also applies to the older models of most of the Airbus products as well.

The devil will be in the detail, yet to be determined.

However, if the regulations parallel ICAO definitions, unless P2F conversions are re-engined, 767 conversions will cease.

Outside the USA, the environmental community is confident Biden will tighten, widen and bring forward US aviation participation and compliance.

cpd

Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:48 pm

lightsaber wrote:
UA748i wrote:
As a huge 777X fan, it might actually be a few years too late. It will certainly be the last "VLA" as we know it, but will survive, IMHO.

Its my opinion that Boeing Commercial Airplanes should:

-Continue development of the FSA. Launch it mid decade, EIS late decade, to replace the MAX.
-Consider a 787-9LR and 787-10LR as eventual 777X successors (Rewing, Reengine?)
-767 updates
-Early next decade, perhaps revisit SSTs and Hybrids, perhaps reapproach Embraer as a JV.

I'm going to disagree. In the industry, we look for step changes in efficiency. That would be the Blended Wing Body (BwB). It has huge structural efficiency advantages and some aerodynamic advantages. I participated in studies that I believe have cleared the evacuation issues. The BwB efficiency grows with scale more than a cigar with wings.

The VLA requires a significant efficiency advantage due to the risk of not filling seats (likely to be realized).

Eventually we will have another VLA. (Never say never) Certainly not in the near term.

Basically, we already know the NMA is delayed. But development won't stop. Only half of new technology can be retrofitted to an existing design. So eventually we will develop new widebodies. But not in the near term.

Lightsaber

A blended wing body aircraft has about as much chance of occurring in the next 20 years as the Handley Page skewed wing SST did of becoming reality.

With only two major aircraft makers, they can just put on the brakes for development and do as little as possible. Minor improvements and changes, little more. Nothing risky.

That will be safest. I suspect an SST might be a possibility down the track with variable cycle engines, but it’s surely a long way off and it probably won’t be in the remainder of my lifetime.

This pandemic still isn’t defeated yet either.

ewt340

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:18 pm

Aither wrote:
A smaller market does not mean smaller widebody aircraft.
A smaller market means less routes, less frequencies and more focus on the top markets.

I believe what will suffer the most are the so called point to point routes or routes with little connecting traffic. Typically routes promoted by Boeing as the "787 routes". I fear many wont come back before years and if they do and are within the A321 XLR range then they could restart with the A321XLR.

I also believe the hub to hub routes like SIN to LHR etc should remain operated by large widebody however as they will benefit from the traffic which can no longer fly point to point and maybe less Airlines on the routes. Also there should be less emphasis on frequencies as business traffic will be slow to recover.

All in all it should not be a surprise if we observe less but on average larger widebody being used on the long haut markets .

Actually it does mean smaller aircraft. Think about it. Many major routes would be back and running again, but unlike before, many major airport would have way more free slots because there would be many routes that got cut.

This would led to airlines using smaller aircraft for frequency because they got soo many excess slots. And many of them would prefer to stick to profitability rather than capacity right now.
Also, it seems like a second wave are more likely. So it's not like we are currently got the demands back.

ewt340

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:24 pm

lightsaber wrote:
UA748i wrote:
As a huge 777X fan, it might actually be a few years too late. It will certainly be the last "VLA" as we know it, but will survive, IMHO.

-Continue development of the FSA. Launch it mid decade, EIS late decade, to replace the MAX.
-Consider a 787-9LR and 787-10LR as eventual 777X successors (Rewing, Reengine?)
-767 updates
-Early next decade, perhaps revisit SSTs and Hybrids, perhaps reapproach Embraer as a JV.

I'm going to disagree. In the industry, we look for step changes in efficiency. That would be the Blended Wing Body (BwB). It has huge structural efficiency advantages and some aerodynamic advantages. I participated in studies that I believe have cleared the evacuation issues. The BwB efficiency grows with scale more than a cigar with wings.

The VLA requires a significant efficiency advantage due to the risk of not filling seats (likely to be realized).

Eventually we will have another VLA. (Never say never) Certainly not in the near term.

Lightsaber

Realistically speaking, if we look at what both Airbus and Boeing had done in the last few decades. We know such project in near future would be out of the question.

What really happened was both manufacturer goes with safer and cheaper options that they know would work rather than creating a new model that revolutionized the industry. Even the next-gen aircraft like B787 and A350 were design using traditional design rather than an experimental one.

Currently we are at the point of maximizing efficiency for older design like engines, fuselage, wings, etc. But there isn't much development in technology that could actually revolutionized the industry.
The best one we had soo far is composite materials. But that technology has been proven on military aircraft for decades. So it's actually an older technology that just got implemented into commercial side. It's already there for a long time.

BwB is a big risk that could bankrupt either company. Heck, even a re-engine project caused soo much problems with Boeing.

lightsaber

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:36 pm

cpd wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
UA748i wrote:

-767 updates

Lightsaber

A blended wing body aircraft has about as much chance of occurring in the next 20 years as the Handley Page skewed wing SST did of becoming reality.

With only two major aircraft makers, they can just put on the brakes for development and do as little as possible. Minor improvements and changes, little more. Nothing risky.

That will be safest. I suspect an SST might be a possibility down the track with variable cycle engines, but it’s surely a long way off and it probably won’t be in the remainder of my lifetime.

SST is so costly, it will only be for limited passenger payloads. We'll have to see how those go in this downturn.

I don't expect a BwB soon, but the basic efficiency is there. Everyone is trying to bring that efficiency. As you note, there are only two vendors who will, like all near monopolies, restrain development. There is always development of those thinking of re-entering the civil market. Businesses are always looking for opportunities.

But with the Boeing BwB x-48, Northrop UCAS, B-21 Raider, and Airbus MAVERIC (I know, small), research continues.
The reality is supersonic transport requires 1st class and higher pricing to move people that quickly.

If you want to cut the cost of air travel, the BwB is a fairly mature technology. The issue, is the efficiency is a *huge* function of scale. The gains really only start for a 250 seater. As environmental concerns grow, there will be a need for a step function reduction in fuel burn. The BwB is one of the few step functions waiting to be implemented now that GTFs are flying, variable cycle in engines has started (just started), and the first bit of CMCs will on the 779.

I worked a little consulting on the Sonic Cruiser very early in my carrier. I was appalled at the sharp increase in fuel burn. For Supersonic flight, that is far worse.

But for the next few years, this is idle discussion.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

MIflyer12

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:31 pm

ewt340 wrote:
Aither wrote:
A smaller market means less routes, less frequencies and more focus on the top markets.

I believe what will suffer the most are the so called point to point routes or routes with little connecting traffic. Typically routes promoted by Boeing as the "787 routes". I fear many wont come back before years and if they do and are within the A321 XLR range then they could restart with the A321XLR.

I also believe the hub to hub routes like SIN to LHR etc should remain operated by large widebody however as they will benefit from the traffic which can no longer fly point to point and maybe less Airlines on the routes. Also there should be less emphasis on frequencies as business traffic will be slow to recover.

All in all it should not be a surprise if we observe less but on average larger widebody being used on the long haut markets .

Actually it does mean smaller aircraft. Think about it. Many major routes would be back and running again, but unlike before, many major airport would have way more free slots because there would be many routes that got cut.

This would led to airlines using smaller aircraft for frequency because they got soo many excess slots.

There aren't that many slot-restricted major airports. Carriers could have been using smaller aircraft to most major airports all along. That's was the fundamental misunderstanding behind the A380 - the belief that capacity constraints would drive larger aircraft.

c933103

Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:37 pm

Is the word "launch" here mean something like "Boeing launching the 797 projects" instead of the launch of actual aircraft?
It's pointless to attempt winning internet debate.
Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan! Nyan!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

LAX772LR

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:46 am

LCDFlight wrote:
The justification to bring in a VLA fleet with such narrow window of usability is just impossible now. Not "hard" but actually impossible.

Huh?? Several airlines have clarified their intent to still take VLAs. Some in reduced number, but hardly "impossible." :roll:

dtw2hyd wrote:
Sherlock realized now? If he predicted a decade back he would have been a visionary.

At the minimum there should have been a plan B which EK completely lacks.

:checkmark: :checkmark:

^This. Granted, it took a bit longer than some of us would've thought; but anyone with sense had to realize that a major day of reckoning was eventually coming for EK's utterly ridiculous fleet plan.

This is the first major downturn they've faced with their fleet as it is (they didn't have anywhere near the relative composition of 77Ws and A380s back in 2009), and it just so happens to be the worst in history.

Yet their only recourse plan (for if the bottom fell out of the Dubai or world markets) while in possession of hundreds of inflexibly-large aircraft, appears to be -- nothing.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

DocLightning

Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:42 am

As I see it, Boeing has the widebody market pretty well covered with the 788/9/J and 778/9. Airbus has their A339 and A359/J. Airbus probably has the bigger hole to fill in their market, but they have the A321LR/XLR, which fits all of the F, all of the J, and 70% of the Y of a 762 on something like half the fuel burn.

The last 20 years have been remarkable for commercial aviation with the advent of the 787, the longer-range 777s and then now the 77X, the A380, and the A350.

There are two obvious holes. The first is the gulf between the A321 and the 788. There should be a decent 763 replacement, meaning an aircraft that sits about 220-300 passengers and can fly 12 hours. The second obvious hole is the 737. The 737MAX is a dismal failure and even when they get it certified, it will be stained by the longest ground of any jet airliner. Moreover, the physical design of the 737 precludes LR/XLR variants.

So I think that Boeing needs to work on a 737 replacement and Airbus needs to figure out how to fill the gap between the A321 and the A339.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

ewt340

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:31 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
Aither wrote:

This would led to airlines using smaller aircraft for frequency because they got soo many excess slots.

There aren't that many slot-restricted major airports. Carriers could have been using smaller aircraft to most major airports all along. That's was the fundamental misunderstanding behind the A380 - the belief that capacity constraints would drive larger aircraft.

There aren't many, that's true, but the one that have those problems tend to be the major airport than many airlines wanted to fly to because of high premium demand. LHR, SYD, NRT, HND, JFK, LAX, SFO, FRA, etc.

In the future there would be expansion and such improvements would reduces the need for VLA. But for now, aircraft the size of B777-300ER would still be flying. Not sure about anything bigger though.

ewt340

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:35 am

DocLightning wrote:
As I see it, Boeing has the widebody market pretty well covered with the 788/9/J and 778/9. Airbus has their A339 and A359/J. Airbus probably has the bigger hole to fill in their market, but they have the A321LR/XLR, which fits all of the F, all of the J, and 70% of the Y of a 762 on something like half the fuel burn.

The last 20 years have been remarkable for commercial aviation with the advent of the 787, the longer-range 777s and then now the 77X, the A380, and the A350.

There are two obvious holes. The first is the gulf between the A321 and the 788. There should be a decent 763 replacement, meaning an aircraft that sits about 220-300 passengers and can fly 12 hours. The second obvious hole is the 737. The 737MAX is a dismal failure and even when they get it certified, it will be stained by the longest ground of any jet airliner. Moreover, the physical design of the 737 precludes LR/XLR variants.

So I think that Boeing needs to work on a 737 replacement and Airbus needs to figure out how to fill the gap between the A321 and the A339.

I'd say that Airbus would be in better position to developed such aircraft. Their A330neo is drying up in recent months because of the pandemic. They would need to think about its replacement in 2025 at least.

Opus99

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:40 am

ewt340 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I'd say that Airbus would be in better position to developed such aircraft. Their A330neo is drying up in recent months because of the pandemic. They would need to think about its replacement in 2025 at least.

Airbus is in a better position to think about new programs in general. Boeing is going to spend most of this decade getting their house in order, I think we can all agree on that. And I think they will. They need to restore stability on the MAX program and then focus on speeding up and marketing the 777X program when the time is right.

TheWorm123

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:40 am

DocLightning wrote:

Could the 763 sized hole be filled with a stretched A321 XLR?

More passengers and likely more fuel tank space that way, sort of an Airbus take on what Boeing did with the 757-300.
B752 B753 A332 A321 B738

JonesNL

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:45 am

TheWorm123 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

Could the 763 sized hole be filled with a stretched A321 XLR?

More passengers and likely more fuel tank space that way, sort of an Airbus take on what Boeing did with the 757-300.

That's the fabeled A322, which has been discussed to no end. It should have less range than the 763 but similar pax capacity.

c933103

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:48 am

ewt340 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I don't think there are enough room between A321 and A359 to support a new widebody design, just as 797 couldn't be launched as a widebody

dtw2hyd

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:23 am

Vicenza wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Sherlock realized now? If he predicted a decade back he would have been a visionary. If he predicted 5 years back he can be considered a good planner. Now anybody can tell.

There is no way anyone could have predicted current situation is a just an excuse. At the minimum there should have been a plan B which EK completely lacks.

So enlighten me as to what Plan B did any other airline, and yourself have. I'll be very interested because I sure haven't seen any.

Others already have Plan B, they are called narrow body aircraft, others also have smaller wide body aircraft. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure out that having mixed fleet is the best way to run an airline.
All posts are just opinions.

Noshow

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:09 pm

I have to agree with statements above: For the moment nobody will order or develop anything. So "no new widebodies" is not much of a genius prediction as we already have the newly developed 787 and A350 families on the market.
On the medium run I'd say it's not unlikely that A and B will invent new widebodies like the reconfigured NMA and some A310/A330-follow on. There is room between the big twins above and the biggest narrowbodies. Especially now that the big quad capacity is gone for maybe forever.

Vicenza

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:31 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Sherlock realized now? If he predicted a decade back he would have been a visionary. If he predicted 5 years back he can be considered a good planner. Now anybody can tell.

There is no way anyone could have predicted current situation is a just an excuse. At the minimum there should have been a plan B which EK completely lacks.

So enlighten me as to what Plan B did any other airline, and yourself have. I'll be very interested because I sure haven't seen any.

Others already have Plan B, they are called narrow body aircraft, others also have smaller wide body aircraft. One need not be a rocket scientist to figure out that having mixed fleet is the best way to run an airline.

Interesting. We are seeing on these pages the dire straights of the industry and suddenly you are claiming all airlines have a plan B except Emirates because they have different aircraft types. Emirates geographical position leads to a different model, and even a rocket scientist knows that an airline has to be run depending on it's particular model, and which fitted Emirates perfectly. Now you're claiming, in the face of a worldwide pandemic which could never have been predicted, that they 'lack' a plan B. I don't think so at all, and I still don't see a plan B from others regarding their recovery, unless your plan B seems to only relate to aircraft type.

JibberJim

Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Revelation wrote:
Now the industry is still coasting on financing secured before CV19 and it's clear the financial community is going to be taking some major hits as many of their assumptions about asset value are now incorrect so new financing will be very challenging.

I'd questioning if financing would really be that unavailable - there's still more money to invest than there are investment opportunities, and every bit of central bank money pumping into the economy is increasing it. So whilst many groups will have been seriously hurt on past investments, that's a sunk loss, irrelevant to the decision to invest new.

Of course that doesn't mean there's opportunity for new aircraft purchases as there's still the problem of used being available which will reduce the possible prices for new, possibly to below even a cost where it's worthwhile ticking along producing them for the future opportunities, but I don't think we should assume financing is gone, there's a real shortage of returns out there anywhere and a lot of cash sloshing about.

FrenchPotatoEye

Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:03 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Remind us how the B-plan is working for Air Asia?

Or Indgo?

Air X Asia?

Your logic making no sense.

Dirigible

Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:54 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
Vicenza wrote:

STC has no credibility left. His lack of plan B is gross mismanagement. (I see no relevance in the post of FPE about the LCCs he mentions).

A300neo

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

2175301 wrote:
The 767-400 Freighter using updated engines (787/747 engines) will almost certainly be launched as the existing 767F does not meet the IACO 2028 standards for "In Production Aircraft." However, that will take a few years. I don't expect to see it launched before 2025.

I don't see how a 767-400 Passenger Aircraft with new engines would be competitive to more recent aircraft. I cannot see it being launched.

Hi,

a 767neo would be highly competitive in Asia. There are a lot of rather short routes less than 3000nm that are now served by 787/A330/777/A350. Granted, these airplanes use the newest lightweight technologies, but they still need a lot of extra structural weight do be able to fly long distances. However if you don't need that it is simply wasted.

The 767 is designed only for medium distances and therefore lighter by design. Even without modern materials the 767-400ER is for example 15t lighter than the B788, however it still offers a few more seats.

With modern engines the fuel consumptions per seat would be comparable, the airport fees would be less due to smaller wings and less MTOW and also the purchase price would be less due to the lack of modern technologies. Furthermore most airports in the US have more gates for cat. D aircrafts.

All in all a modernized 767 is the best Boeing could currently do. The design is well know and tested, the assembly line is still open, all the tools are still there and the GE engines are also reliable and tested on the 787 and 748. The cockpit is also already modernized by the tanker program, so there are no big investments needed. Furthermore, after the 767Max disaster, Boeing need to get back credibility asap. An updated 767 would not be a technological game changer, but a reliable, modern though still affordable work-horse - sth that Boeing would need now imo, to regain lost trust.

Maybe the best part: Airbus doesnt have anything comparable in that segment. They often advertise their A330neo as the upper part of the MoM, but that design is also over weight, the reason why nobody orders the A330-800.

Besides: As you said, Boeing will modernize the 767 anyways because of the freighter program. To certify a passenger version also is not that much more of an effort. I would call it really s....trange, if they would't do it.

regards

A.

crimsonchin

Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:48 pm

But even without covid, this was almost a given?

The 777X is going to be the upper limit of Boeing's WB offering for a while and if Airbus wants to counter it, they're more likely to build an upgraded A350 than a new plane. The medium-sized market is filled by the 787/A330neo/A350, so which new WB was he expecting?

ewt340

Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:31 pm

c933103 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
DocLightning wrote:

I don't think there are enough room between A321 and A359 to support a new widebody design, just as 797 couldn't be launched as a widebody

Surely a 200-250 seater with range around ~6,000nmi would be useful since Both Airbus and Boeing doesn't offer one.

B797 is too small and compete with A321XLR and it doesn't have enough range and capability to replace B767-300ER. It's a lose-lose design.

smithbs

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:00 pm

ewt340 wrote:
c933103 wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

Surely a 200-250 seater with range around ~6,000nmi would be useful since Both Airbus and Boeing doesn't offer one.

B797 is too small and compete with A321XLR and it doesn't have enough range and capability to replace B767-300ER. It's a lose-lose design.

Conversely, the fact that Airbus and Boeing have not made a 200-250 seater with 6000 nm range may indicate that they don't think the market is there. Something like the 762ER has been out of production for a long long time and is rarely seen in commercial service anymore - the market had a need for it but it wasn't a particularly large need. Certainly it wasn't a market large enough to justify its own purpose-designed aircraft (particularly at today's R&D costs).

It's why the 737 isn't a good long range aircraft (and will likely never be) - to give it that capability would screw up its performance on the missions it earns its bread and butter on. That's also why A321XLR might be too niche for its own good - it adds cost and weight to a mission that is kind of rare.

AlanG1302

Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:16 pm

Airbus already sold about 600 XLRs. Do you still consider this too niche?

smithbs wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Conversely, the fact that Airbus and Boeing have not made a 200-250 seater with 6000 nm range may indicate that they don't think the market is there. Something like the 762ER has been out of production for a long long time and is rarely seen in commercial service anymore - the market had a need for it but it wasn't a particularly large need. Certainly it wasn't a market large enough to justify its own purpose-designed aircraft (particularly at today's R&D costs).

It's why the 737 isn't a good long range aircraft (and will likely never be) - to give it that capability would screw up its performance on the missions it earns its bread and butter on. That's also why A321XLR might be too niche for its own good - it adds cost and weight to a mission that is kind of rare.

cpd

Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:28 pm

lightsaber wrote:
cpd wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

SST is so costly, it will only be for limited passenger payloads. We'll have to see how those go in this downturn.

I don't expect a BwB soon, but the basic efficiency is there. Everyone is trying to bring that efficiency. As you note, there are only two vendors who will, like all near monopolies, restrain development. There is always development of those thinking of re-entering the civil market. Businesses are always looking for opportunities.

But with the Boeing BwB x-48, Northrop UCAS, B-21 Raider, and Airbus MAVERIC (I know, small), research continues.
The reality is supersonic transport requires 1st class and higher pricing to move people that quickly.

If you want to cut the cost of air travel, the BwB is a fairly mature technology. The issue, is the efficiency is a *huge* function of scale. The gains really only start for a 250 seater. As environmental concerns grow, there will be a need for a step function reduction in fuel burn. The BwB is one of the few step functions waiting to be implemented now that GTFs are flying, variable cycle in engines has started (just started), and the first bit of CMCs will on the 779.

I worked a little consulting on the Sonic Cruiser very early in my carrier. I was appalled at the sharp increase in fuel burn. For Supersonic flight, that is far worse.

But for the next few years, this is idle discussion.

Lightsaber

At the risk of going to technical discussion, was the Sonic Cruiser going fast enough to take advantage of the benefits of high speed flight? I think not, it was just below Mach 1.0 wasn’t it, and with more conventional engines? So no variable inlets, etc. it just seemed like a poor idea. The actual proper SST aircraft gain benefits from going M2.0 versus going at below subsonic speed.

smithbs

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:55 pm

AlanG1302 wrote:

smithbs wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

I'm having a hard time sorting the Airbus orders. If I see things correctly, A321ceo/neo backlog is at 2,020 units, but it doesn't split out A321XLR, so if your number is correct (source please), then that's about 30% of A321s. For the entire family backlog, XLR is 11%. Maybe it's a bigger niche than I thought, but still a subset of the A321 family alone and a niche in the whole family.

c933103

Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:41 am

AlanG1302 wrote:

smithbs wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

The XLR is not widebody.

ewt340

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:00 am

smithbs wrote:
ewt340 wrote:
c933103 wrote:

Well they actually have A330-200 and A330-800neo which seats 240-260 seats. But it got too much range and capability that aircraft this size doesn't actually need.

So far we know B767-300ER is extremely successful with some airlines still operating it today. There is a proven market for such aircraft.

Airbus also have a big gap between A321XLR and A350-900. Unless they want to give all the market to Boeing, they have to counter with something.
Obviously designing a new aircraft to go head to head with B787 would be a suicide. So they have to focus on medium-haul market instead.

c933103

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:11 am

ewt340 wrote:
smithbs wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

Well they actually have A330-200 and A330-800neo which seats 240-260 seats. But it got too much range and capability that aircraft this size doesn't actually need.

So far we know B767-300ER is extremely successful with some airlines still operating it today. There is a proven market for such aircraft.

Airbus also have a big gap between A321XLR and A350-900. Unless they want to give all the market to Boeing, they have to counter with something.
Obviously designing a new aircraft to go head to head with B787 would be a suicide. So they have to focus on medium-haul market instead.

I guess it would cost them considerably less to develop A322 instead of a whole new aircraft family

xwb777

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:30 pm

Emirates is offering unpaid leave till November to avoid further layoffs.

https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2020 ... undancies/

chonetsao

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Following the new requirement of Covid-19 PCR test within 96 hours of arriving of transiting in UAE, it is for sure Emirates would suffer even further in passenger loads. I can see how Emirates would end up retire 40% of their A380 by end of 2020. The recovery is not anywhere in sight.

KingOrGod

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:15 am

zeke wrote:

Even after being terminated don’t they go into 25% basic pay, free health care and accommodation until they leave the country ?

That’s the UAE sponsorship visa conditions isn’t it ?.

I worked in a rich neighbouring emirate, and some time ago (before corona) when my contract was summarily terminated, they didn't even give me the agreed notice period. They terminated my visa and I had 8 days to sell up and leave otherwise face arrest. They play their own game there and one should realise they have no conscience with a lot of stuff. Play with fire, get burned. It's the ME all over. No ethics.

Western727

Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Having had my family's trip to DXB (nonstop from IAH on a 380) postponed from mid-March, literally days prior to the trip, to 20-29 November I find myself doubting that we'll be able to visit my expat sister and her family who live in AUH. The way things look, it looks more and more likely that we'll have to postpone again to spring break in March 2021...not to mention lamenting the fact that my likely only chance of flying on the 380 may evaporate.

Love to entertain an educated guess from you folks on that.

KingOrGod wrote:
zeke wrote:

Even after being terminated don’t they go into 25% basic pay, free health care and accommodation until they leave the country ?

I worked in a rich neighbouring emirate, and some time ago (before corona) when my contract was summarily terminated, they didn't even give me the agreed notice period. They terminated my visa and I had 8 days to sell up and leave otherwise face arrest. They play their own game there and one should realise they have no conscience with a lot of stuff. Play with fire, get burned. It's the ME all over. No ethics.

My brother-in-law got a high-paying administrative job at the Barakah Nuclear Power Plant and has since gotten reorganized to the utility's HQ in AUH. I do wonder what might happen to him should the utility decide to terminate his contract. 8 days is quite a short notice to move a family of 6.

EDIT: clarification.
Jack @ AUS

lalib

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

KingOrGod wrote:
zeke wrote:

Doesn't happen with all companies and they are not that unreasonable. I worked for EY for 2 years plus. I got made redundant in 2017. They were lenient before canceling my visa as I was scrambling to find another job. Once I found something after 3 - 4 months I asked them to cancel it and it was done.

PepeTheFrog

Re: Emirates: 777X further delayed until 2022, considering to convert more orders to 787

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Revelation wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:
Revelation wrote:
I agree. 77X is right about where its business plan suggested it should be. 309 orders before EIS from blue chip customers around the world, many of whom are A350 customers, some of whom are A350-1000 customers. It found as good a degree of acceptance as I think could have been expected.

Hmm, 309 orders doesn't say much. If I may add some nuance: Emirates already trimmed its order backlog from 150 to 115 aircraft. Cathay Pacific is looking to defer deliveries, Lufthansa believes they have too many 777X on order and Etihad Airways is not in a position to take the aircraft but cannot get out of the contract. This "degree of acceptance" is lower then you might think.

Really, 309 orders are not a good degree of acceptance before EIS? For a point of comparison, A380 had 177 pax orders at EIS ( ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... deliveries ) and that included the dubious Kingfisher and Virgin orders. It was also a clean sheet with a much bigger spend than 777x has, and where Airbus had the freedom to target any market segment they wanted since they had a blank check. Therefore I feel my statement is quite justified.

My point was that the real backlog is much smaller than 309 aircraft when you remove the shaky orders. The A380 got nothing to do with it.

I think my comment should be read in the full context which I included above. If you were expecting 777x to have order books the size of 787 or A350 before EIS, then IMO you have unrealistic expectations.

You should read the 777x threads on a.net from 2013, when the jet was launched. Many people predicted 600+ orders before EIS.
Good moaning!

lightsaber

Re: Emirates: 777X further delayed until 2022, considering to convert more orders to 787

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:36 pm

PepeTheFrog wrote:
Revelation wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:
Hmm, 309 orders doesn't say much. If I may add some nuance: Emirates already trimmed its order backlog from 150 to 115 aircraft. Cathay Pacific is looking to defer deliveries, Lufthansa believes they have too many 777X on order and Etihad Airways is not in a position to take the aircraft but cannot get out of the contract. This "degree of acceptance" is lower then you might think.

Really, 309 orders are not a good degree of acceptance before EIS? For a point of comparison, A380 had 177 pax orders at EIS ( ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_A ... deliveries ) and that included the dubious Kingfisher and Virgin orders. It was also a clean sheet with a much bigger spend than 777x has, and where Airbus had the freedom to target any market segment they wanted since they had a blank check. Therefore I feel my statement is quite justified.

My point was that the real backlog is much smaller than 309 aircraft when you remove the shaky orders. The A380 got nothing to do with it.

I think my comment should be read in the full context which I included above. If you were expecting 777x to have order books the size of 787 or A350 before EIS, then IMO you have unrealistic expectations.

You should read the 777x threads on a.net from 2013, when the jet was launched. Many people predicted 600+ orders before EIS.

We can agree the 777x needs more orders. In the mid-term, I expect Boeing to try to sell 777xFs. I'm starting to get scared on freight demand due to economic concerns.

Fans predicting orders has nothing to do with a business case.

EK must down size. That means fewer 779. The 778 business case is extra precarious.

But this is an EK thread, not 779 vs. A388.

Due to far more technology advance in the 779, I see a good future at EK. The trick is getting to say 2025.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.

ewt340

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
PepeTheFrog wrote:
Revelation wrote:

We can agree the 777x needs more orders. In the mid-term, I expect Boeing to try to sell 777xFs. I'm starting to get scared on freight demand due to economic concerns.

Fans predicting orders has nothing to do with a business case.

EK must down size. That means fewer 779. The 778 business case is extra precarious.

But this is an EK thread, not 779 vs. A388.

Due to far more technology advance in the 779, I see a good future at EK. The trick is getting to say 2025.

Lightsaber

I don't think they would push for B777XF. Their original B777F program are still pretty young. they also recently have conversion program for other B777 model.

Interestingly enough, I just found out that they still have 18 B777-300ER on backlog. Which is mind blowing.

scbriml

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:25 pm

ewt340 wrote:
Interestingly enough, I just found out that they still have 18 B777-300ER on backlog. Which is mind blowing.

Where did you find that? I believe it's incorrect. They have 115 x 777X and 30 x 787 outstanding with Boeing. Their last few 77Ws were cancelled as part of their order switch from 777s to 787s.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

ewt340

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:54 am

scbriml wrote:
ewt340 wrote:

Where did you find that? I believe it's incorrect. They have 115 x 777X and 30 x 787 outstanding with Boeing. Their last few 77Ws were cancelled as part of their order switch from 777s to 787s.

Sorry, not Emirates per say. There are still 18 B777-300ER on order on Boeing's backlog.

Which is pretty interesting how many B777-300ER are extremely young.

Exeiowa

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:42 pm

At this point I am thinking that Boeing would make more money selling 787s instead of 777X to the same airlines but as they have already bet on this horse its a bit late.

StTim

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:03 pm

I agree the 777x is looking increasingly the wrong plane at the wrong time.

It will continue to burn money for years to come, if it is ever profitable.

Boeing is in a world of hurt at the moment with 737Max and Covid. The only really profitable plane they currently have is the 767 - who would have thought that.

It is also certainly not rosy at Airbus but I think they are in a better place and will also support their suppliers better.

Opus99

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:14 pm

StTim wrote:

Boeing is in a world of hurt at the moment with 737Max and Covid. The only really profitable plane they currently have is the 767 - who would have thought that.

It is also certainly not rosy at Airbus but I think they are in a better place and will also support their suppliers better.

767? I think you mean 787!

BrianDromey

Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:23 pm

Opus99 wrote:
StTim wrote:

767? I think you mean 787!

I think he is referring to the deferred costs issue the 787 has. The 787 does generate cash however, which will be important for Boeing. They really need to get the MAX back and flying, if only to deliver what they have already built.

StTim

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:32 pm

I doubt the 787 is making money at current production rates.

xwb777

Emirates drops FLL

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:17 pm

In the airline’s latest schedule updates, it has been revealed that FLL will be permenantly dropped. The route was previously set to resume on 02SEP2020 with 4 weekly flights served by the B777-200LR

Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-04aug20/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blerg

Re: Emirates drops FLL

Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:18 pm

I think I read on here that this was one of their weaker routes. Anyone know more on this?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos