Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

usflyer msp

Re: Emirates drops FLL

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:51 am

OB1504 wrote:
Lootess wrote:
Also all the hoopla about name recognition of FLL vs MIA isn't true at-all, Southwest has been living off of FLL forever, and if you are working/taking a cruise you will know FLL is the place to fly. not MIA. As long as the cruise industry is shot, FLL suffers the same fate.

Southwest overwhelmingly caters to domestic passengers who are more likely to be aware of Fort Lauderdale. Not so for the intercontinental carriers. Miami is much better known internationally.

Toinou wrote:
Some people mentioned interesting counterexamples to what I said, but I'm still not totally convinced:
- Multiple airports in a city air frequently covered in an area-wide search, for example by using the LON code. Is there such a thing in the case of Miami/Fort Lauderdale? (Real question, I have no idea, but I looked and couldn't find.)

No, there’s no single code for searching for flights to/from all of the South Florida airports. At least not yet.

There technically is a code for all South Florida Airports, QMI. Most people and even travel agents don't know this and I believe SABRE is the only GDS that recognizes it, so it basically gets very little use. LA Area also has one, QLA and so does the Bay Area, QSF.

Sokes

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:02 am

Revelation wrote:
smartplane wrote:
A buyback does not make the OEM a lease holder. They would be a beneficial owner if invoked, and have a contingent liability until invoked, expires or retired.

Ahh, the old buyback clause. The ghost of John Leary may end up haunting the house of Airbus.

Can you expand on that?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

LUKAS10

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:11 am

I'd say there many different factors playing important role in the fact this route hadn't been successful. However, one of them is the above-mentioned awareness. People outside the US/Canada don't know where FLL is. I helped my mum to book a ticket from PRG to Miami. There were very low fares on Norwegian so recommended her that connection. She was absolutely confused because she wanted to go to Miami, not to some place she couldn't even pronounce. Everybody knows Miami but FLL is unknown to a vast majority of Europeans/rest of the world. FLL should use Miami in its name, something like Miami - Fort Lauderdale International Airport to attract traffic from Europe.
Anyway, my mum flew to Miami even though her accommodation was closer to FLL :D
I actually never understood why EK had a need to fly to Florida (both MCO & FLL). Covid-19 only shows which routes really make sense to keep and which were a failure even before.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:43 am

chonetsao wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
I was honestly shocked to see EK try service to FLL. "Fort Lauderdale" might be well known to Americans and Canadians, but probably far less so to Indians and Saudi Arabians. Sure, the airport is centrally located in the South Florida metropolitan area, but wouldn't many O&D pax - especially those at the front of the plane - want to be arriving as close to ritzy South Beach as possible (that is, at MIA)?

FLL was a big cruise ship traffic end station (pre Covid19 of course). India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Philippines provide many of the cruise ship crew members that are on 6 months contract need to be flown constantly to fill the ship jobs. However, the construction in Miami cruise ship terminus by big shipping companies now is almost completed, more ships have been shifted to Miami. even without Covid19, the future of FLL cruise traffic is projected to be lower than its peak 3 to 5 years ago when Miami started the cruise terminal constructions. Post Covid19, FLL is certainly on track to loose more traffic as ship company retire ships early and consolidate in the Miami new facility.

One connection from the Port of Miami to MIA will make you run to Port Everglades for all future cruises.

Just one time.

Miami can build a palace for its port. It will never beat the convenience of FLL to Port Everglades

chonetsao

Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:29 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
I was honestly shocked to see EK try service to FLL. "Fort Lauderdale" might be well known to Americans and Canadians, but probably far less so to Indians and Saudi Arabians. Sure, the airport is centrally located in the South Florida metropolitan area, but wouldn't many O&D pax - especially those at the front of the plane - want to be arriving as close to ritzy South Beach as possible (that is, at MIA)?

FLL was a big cruise ship traffic end station (pre Covid19 of course). India, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand and Philippines provide many of the cruise ship crew members that are on 6 months contract need to be flown constantly to fill the ship jobs. However, the construction in Miami cruise ship terminus by big shipping companies now is almost completed, more ships have been shifted to Miami. even without Covid19, the future of FLL cruise traffic is projected to be lower than its peak 3 to 5 years ago when Miami started the cruise terminal constructions. Post Covid19, FLL is certainly on track to loose more traffic as ship company retire ships early and consolidate in the Miami new facility.

One connection from the Port of Miami to MIA will make you run to Port Everglades for all future cruises.

Just one time.

Miami can build a palace for its port. It will never beat the convenience of FLL to Port Everglades

You argument seems to place Miami Cruise port in somewhere not convenient to reach to. Well, that is not true. Miami cruise port might be a little bit further from Miami airport than Poer Everglades to FLL, but the opening of Port of Miami Tunnel really have reduced travel time significantly. From MIA terminal D to Miami cruise port Terminal B is 16 minutes door to door. From FLL Terminal D to FLL terminal 24 is roughly 10 minutes. I would doubt anyone consider 16 minutes is vastly inconvenience.

Cruise ship companies certain realise where the money is, that is why all majors including NCL, CCL and RCL invested in its hub terminal in Port of Miami. Port of Miami provided a host of solutions to accomodate cruise lines.

Port Everglades by comparison, is restricted to its terminal underdevelopment as well as the time slot restrictions due to sand banks on its channel to the ocean. That means big cruise ships has a specific window of opportunity to leave the berth, sort like in New York due to the bridge height restrictions.

That doesn't mean FLL will be finished. Princess and HAL that is baby boomers majority onboard, still prefers FLL due to customer preferences (live nearby). But for family cruises, short vacation cruises and home port cruises, the future is (or was going to be) Miami and Orlando.

PS

I cruise from MIA and FLL frequently. 5 years ago I like FLL, but since then it is MIA as preference due to the superior terminal facilities. The opening of the PoM channel really made a difference.

MIflyer12

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:39 pm

LUKAS10 wrote:
I actually never understood why EK had a need to fly to Florida (both MCO & FLL).

Why do carriers fly to both Frankfurt and Zurich? They're both big metro areas ~400km apart. Florida is not small: not in population, land area, or tourist appeal.

jfklganyc

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:52 pm

chonetsao wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
chonetsao wrote:

Just one time.

You argument seems to place Miami Cruise port in somewhere not convenient to reach to. Well, that is not true. Miami cruise port might be a little bit further from Miami airport than Poer Everglades to FLL, but the opening of Port of Miami Tunnel really have reduced travel time significantly. From MIA terminal D to Miami cruise port Terminal B is 16 minutes door to door. From FLL Terminal D to FLL terminal 24 is roughly 10 minutes. I would doubt anyone consider 16 minutes is vastly inconvenience.

Cruise ship companies certain realise where the money is, that is why all majors including NCL, CCL and RCL invested in its hub terminal in Port of Miami. Port of Miami provided a host of solutions to accomodate cruise lines.

Port Everglades by comparison, is restricted to its terminal underdevelopment as well as the time slot restrictions due to sand banks on its channel to the ocean. That means big cruise ships has a specific window of opportunity to leave the berth, sort like in New York due to the bridge height restrictions.

That doesn't mean FLL will be finished. Princess and HAL that is baby boomers majority onboard, still prefers FLL due to customer preferences (live nearby). But for family cruises, short vacation cruises and home port cruises, the future is (or was going to be) Miami and Orlando.

PS

I cruise from MIA and FLL frequently. 5 years ago I like FLL, but since then it is MIA as preference due to the superior terminal facilities. The opening of the PoM channel really made a difference.

I’ve been on close to 30 cruises.

No one books a cruise based on terminal facilities at a port.

They remember things like convenience, access, and cost/ease of parking.

In Florida, Port Canaveral is the big winner by a wide margin.

Miami is at the bottom of the list

EK at FLL was always an odd choice. I would think they belong in Miami if they need to fly to South Florida at all.

But emirates is in big trouble like British Airways.

they don’t really have domestic flying. they are totally dependent on crossing borders with their flying.

that doesn’t work now. And it won’t work anytime soon.

I would expect a lot of secondary destinations will be cut

Revelation

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Sokes wrote:
Revelation wrote:
smartplane wrote:
A buyback does not make the OEM a lease holder. They would be a beneficial owner if invoked, and have a contingent liability until invoked, expires or retired.

Ahh, the old buyback clause. The ghost of John Leary may end up haunting the house of Airbus.

Can you expand on that?

We know Airbus is buying back 6 A380s from LH. We do not know if other such buyback arrangements exist. We do know Airbus used guarantees on resale value and buyback clauses to help sell A340-NGs ( ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... 4E20131205 ). Both A380 and A340-NG sales happened while Leahy was at Airbus.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Sokes

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Revelation wrote:
We know Airbus is buying back 6 A380s from LH. We do not know if other such buyback arrangements exist. We do know Airbus used guarantees on resale value and buyback clauses to help sell A340-NGs ( ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... 4E20131205 ). Both A380 and A340-NG sales happened while Leahy was at Airbus.

I think Bombardier did the same with business jets. It's an attractive policy. It increases bonuses for today's management.
Considering that Bombardier was family controlled I may be wrong, but I think risk management should be left to lessors.

Such type of contracts make it rather impossible for an average investor to come to an investment decision. Moreover as the annual report won't tell how these guarantees look like.
But why should the owners know?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?

OA412

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:18 pm

Please stay on topic. Florida vs. Massachusetts GDP is not germane to this topic.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

SCQ83

Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:34 pm

It seems Malta, Porto and St Petersburg (Russia, not FL) are closed until Summer 2021 for now

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -mar-2021/
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -mar-2021/

clrd4t8koff

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:27 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Never made sense to fly to FLL. When they return to South Florida it will certainly be to MIA.

If EK couldn’t make FLL work with partner B6 then how exactly do you think they’ll ever make MIA work? MIA has minimal market to Asia outside Israel. QR with their OW partner AA has cancelled MIA indefinitely. Heck, even LY has dropped MIA.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:26 pm

FLL was fine for EK since this flight was geared towards cruise workers and package booked people head back to ME/Africa/Asia. Their company books all of it and they sit on chartered buses. EK didn't want MIA expenses or they would have chosen it. Reality is the cruise industry is zero for a while, says nothing except that industry is dead so the flight is not needed.

IMHO Emirates is going to cancel alot more cities then this, just wait. This was just one that had to go first as cruising is dead now. International long haul is going to be bad for a few years, expect lots of route and city cancellations as this continues.

usflyer msp

Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:43 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
MIA/FLL/S Fla are an absolute disaster right now. They don’t even have non-stop flights to CDG, FCO, SVO, MXP or BCN. ALL were popular non-stop markets. This is in addition to other European markets like AMS, DUB & KEF. What a fall from grace!

MIA/FLL are gross and crime ridden cities. I’ve never understood the allure. Now we’re seeing how bad it really is. International service has been gutted there and FLL. But this is probably best for another forum so I’ll leave it at this.

....every international gateway airport in the US is a disaster right now. The SoFLa airports are not special in that regard. Due to the SE USA's inability to control COVID and the subsequent collapse of tourism and cruising, the SoFla airports may take longer to recover but they do not really stand out in any other respect right now.

by738

Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:10 pm

surprised it lasted this long even without covid impact

Airlinerdude

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:15 am

To provide a quick update on things at EK:

It looks like Emirates has yet to receive it's government injection:

DUBAI - Emirates needs a bailout from its sole shareholder, the Dubai government, to survive the corona crisis, CEO Tim Clark said in an interview with FlightGlobal. He does not mention a deadline, but says he will need the money "sooner than later".

On the point of how initial A380 operations are fairing:

Clark says he is satisfied with the occupancy rate on A380 flights. This is enough to cover the operational costs and make a little profit. The A380 is now being deployed to six airports, including Schiphol, but he expects more routes soon.

https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/c ... 73.article

In terms of the A380 situation, LHR, CDG, CAI, CAN, and YYZ are the sole A380 operations right now. AMS was dropped on account of the low load factors on the route. A380 flight deck crew are having to take a mandatory 1 month unpaid leave sometime between now and November. No further redundancies have been made since July.

Operationally, over 70 destinations are operating at varying frequencies. I think the biggest challenge is creating connecting opportunities. A lot of the prime feed markets EK has relied on, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and India are mostly closed off to all international travel. EK's operations to Australia are heavily restricted too, limited to just 35, 25, and 45 seats allowed to be sold inbound to SYD, BNE, and PER respectively.

Western727

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
To provide a quick update on things at EK:

It looks like Emirates has yet to receive it's government injection:

DUBAI - Emirates needs a bailout from its sole shareholder, the Dubai government, to survive the corona crisis, CEO Tim Clark said in an interview with FlightGlobal. He does not mention a deadline, but says he will need the money "sooner than later".

On the point of how initial A380 operations are fairing:

Clark says he is satisfied with the occupancy rate on A380 flights. This is enough to cover the operational costs and make a little profit. The A380 is now being deployed to six airports, including Schiphol, but he expects more routes soon.

https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/c ... 73.article

In terms of the A380 situation, LHR, CDG, CAI, CAN, and YYZ are the sole A380 operations right now. AMS was dropped on account of the low load factors on the route. A380 flight deck crew are having to take a mandatory 1 month unpaid leave sometime between now and November. No further redundancies have been made since July.

Operationally, over 70 destinations are operating at varying frequencies. I think the biggest challenge is creating connecting opportunities. A lot of the prime feed markets EK has relied on, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and India are mostly closed off to all international travel. EK's operations to Australia are heavily restricted too, limited to just 35, 25, and 45 seats allowed to be sold inbound to SYD, BNE, and PER respectively.

Thank you, Airlinerdude. My family of 4 was booked last March for IAH-DXB to visit my expat sister and her family who live near AUH. Needless to say, we rescheduled the trip to US Thanksgiving week (last week of November). Recently my sister advised that it would likely not be worth going then, given how strict the Emiratis are with quarantines, closures and such. In any case, my only chance to fly on the 380...has now been downgauged to a 77W for the dates of 20-29 November. :banghead:

My sister believes we should reschedule to March of 2021, and then if things do not improve, summer of 2021. We must use the ticket by 17 Nov 2021, which is the 2-year mark from when we purchased the Economy Saver tickets. I'm tempted to just request a refund at this point, so that we have more flexibility.
Jack @ AUS

Retaliation

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm

brilondon wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Emirates had deep pockets and would be able to weather this storm if any airline could. I guess there are limits to how much cash they have.

Dubai is a bubble inflated by a constant tourists inflow, So is Emirates as they contributed a huge (some say up to 66%) in Dubai's Economy. Once the Love song stopped playing their world turned upside down.
Someone from the airline community said the guy who is responsible for such disastrous planning is busy in firing people from the same airline he made wrong decisions for.
Moka Kakaa a.

emiratesdriver

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Retaliation wrote:
brilondon wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Emirates had deep pockets and would be able to weather this storm if any airline could. I guess there are limits to how much cash they have.

Dubai is a bubble inflated by a constant tourists inflow, So is Emirates as they contributed a huge (some say up to 66%) in Dubai's Economy. Once the Love song stopped playing their world turned upside down.
Someone from the airline community said the guy who is responsible for such disastrous planning is busy in firing people from the same airline he made wrong decisions for.

‘‘Twas ever thus” Emirates isn’t alone in this regard.

Retaliation

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Retaliation wrote:
brilondon wrote:

‘‘Twas ever thus” Emirates isn’t alone in this regard.

Right, Emirates competes only with 2 more carriers with somehow similar circumstances.
I hope you won't compare it with Western carriers. Time will tell where EK stands compared to the other two.
Moka Kakaa a.

dcajet

Emirates axes MEX

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:26 pm

Another Latin destination axed by Emirates: Mexico City. It is no longer available for sale. MEX was the latest addition in the region (2019) to the EK network. It was the subject of controversy at the time as it included a 5th freedom leg between MEX and BCN, that did not make Aeromexico happy at all.

Emirates has also suspended EZE, GIG and SCL, leaving GRU as their only destination in Latin America.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

SCQ83

Re: Emirates axes MEX

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:35 pm

:D . I recall how nuts the Catalan government got to grant 5th freedom flights to MEX to build their "long haul hub" (despite not having a single local long-haul carrier other than LEVEL).

I wouldn't be surprised that Aeromexico now drops Barcelona too, which at best of times was a marginal route (only restarting it in 2019) to focus in Madrid.

IrishAyes

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:00 pm

such a mess --- all the drama that started over this route and seemed to continue in perpetuity between DL, EK, and AM.

noticeably, TK has not resumed any of its South American ops to my knowledge, either.

aviator2000

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Sad news... Sadly, I’ve got the feeling this will become the rule rather than the exception in the coming years

Cointrin330

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:16 pm

This really isn't surprising given the fact that these are long, thin routes and COVID19 has decimated all but essential travel full stop. North (USA) and South America remain two of the largest hotspots for the virus and the Emirates business model as it existed pre-COVID19 does not work in the current environment. I would think the carrier's overall size will shrink by 60%-65% for a good long time.

dcajet

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:17 pm

IrishAyes wrote:
such a mess --- all the drama that started over this route and seemed to continue in perpetuity between DL, EK, and AM.

noticeably, TK has not resumed any of its South American ops to my knowledge, either.

Turkish will be returning to GRU & EZE with the winter schedule, Oct 25th, Equipment has been changed to the A350-900; used to be 77W.

dodgers702

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:21 pm

What a bummer but after EZE, GIG and SCL getting the axe I expected MEX to be next as the resumed flight date kept getting pushed back. Just disappointed after the drama this route created just to have EK axe it only after a few months of operation (pandemic or not). Lets see what TK decides to do since i believe has not resumed any flights to Latin America.

Ishrion

Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:41 pm

dcajet wrote:
Another Latin destination axed by Emirates: Mexico City. It is no longer available for sale.

I’m still seeing it available for booking from December 1 and onward. EK255 with the 777-200LR.

xwb777

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Just did a quick search for flights in June 2021, the flights showed up being operated with the B77L.

dcajet

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:59 pm

Been told flight's not coming back; flight schedules are being updated.

santi319

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:08 pm

Its really concerning the amount of traffic drop MEX has received since the new president took office. Could Mexico be headed towards more isolation when it comes to being a global economic player?

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:26 pm

santi319 wrote:
Its really concerning the amount of traffic drop MEX has received since the new president took office. Could Mexico be headed towards more isolation when it comes to being a global economic player?

I think you would struggle to parse out political effects from COVID effects. Mexico has $400 Billion in exports, and is similarly large in imports. Those are trade values about 2x Brazil's.

dcajet wrote:
Another Latin destination axed by Emirates: Mexico City. It is no longer available for sale. MEX was the latest addition in the region (2019) to the EK network. It was the subject of controversy at the time as it included a 5th freedom leg between MEX and BCN, that did not make Aeromexico happy at all.

Emirates has also suspended EZE, GIG and SCL, leaving GRU as their only destination in Latin America.

That, and TK's absence, says the problem is the Latin American market and lack of demand to relevant destinations.

dcajet

Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:48 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

That, and TK's absence, says the problem is the Latin American market and lack of demand to relevant destinations.

TK is returning to EZE & GRU in late October with the A359. Not sure about TK's other regional destinations (BOG/PTY/CCS/HAV).

I'd argue the above statement is more relevant to EK & QR; there will be little demand for the foreseeable future for them and the destinations they best serve from South America (China, Bali, India, Thailand, the Gulf). Turkish does very well with connections via IST to places like TLV and Europe, so demand will be less of an issue to them. Same for Ethiopian, which btw, is also returning to both EZE & GRU. QATAR has no date for the resumption of services to EZE and is selling tickets connecting via GRU with AR or LA flying the EZE/AEP- GRU sector.

usdcaguy

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:25 am

I really struggle to see where the demand between Mexico and the Middle East, Africa or the Indian subcontinent is. Even TK flying from Istanbul seems like a real stretch. With European carriers already flying to most of those places, I don't really see the relevance for the ME4 in Latin America apart GRU, GIG and EZE.

LH658

Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:56 am

So what about PTY Lol.

Gregd75

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:08 am

Emirates is still operating cargo flights, so this is clearly related to covid-19 collapse of passenger traffic.

It was a new route, before the pandemic started and it didn’t have the opportunity to mature. It’s a shame, but unsurprising. Not related to the president at all..

Airlinerdude

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:54 am

COO Al Redha says Emirates will be serving 143 destinations by next summer:

Dubai state carrier Emirates Airline will serve all of its 143 destinations by the summer of 2021, with the frequency of flights depending on demand, the company’s chief operating officer said this week.

Al-Redha said the relaxation of rules helped the airline, which is “definitely” seeing a positive trend. “If I compare our performance now with a month ago, we have almost doubled the number of passengers we have been carrying on board our aircraft.” He said the airline’s performance in July and August has been “better than what we have expected earlier.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/emirate ... -2021.html

Interesting to see such an optimistic outlook for Summer 2021. As at March 31, 2020 Emirates had 158 destinations, 16 of these were freight-only destinations. Emirates had plans to start PEN on April 9, 2020, however this destination did not officially launch for obvious reasons. It's not clear whether 143 destinations excludes these freight destinations or not.

hohd

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:00 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
I really struggle to see where the demand between Mexico and the Middle East, Africa or the Indian subcontinent is. Even TK flying from Istanbul seems like a real stretch. With European carriers already flying to most of those places, I don't really see the relevance for the ME4 in Latin America apart GRU, GIG and EZE.

Biggest difference is requirement of transit visas for those flying from Africa or Indian subcontinent when using European carriers (KLM is the exception for some countries like India). For a person from Bangladesh to go to South America, it is more convenient to use Middle East or Turkish carriers than European carriers which has the additional hassle of getting a transit visa.

Western727

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
COO Al Redha says Emirates will be serving 143 destinations by next summer:

Dubai state carrier Emirates Airline will serve all of its 143 destinations by the summer of 2021, with the frequency of flights depending on demand, the company’s chief operating officer said this week.

Al-Redha said the relaxation of rules helped the airline, which is “definitely” seeing a positive trend. “If I compare our performance now with a month ago, we have almost doubled the number of passengers we have been carrying on board our aircraft.” He said the airline’s performance in July and August has been “better than what we have expected earlier.”

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/emirate ... -2021.html

Interesting to see such an optimistic outlook for Summer 2021. As at March 31, 2020 Emirates had 158 destinations, 16 of these were freight-only destinations. Emirates had plans to start PEN on April 9, 2020, however this destination did not officially launch for obvious reasons. It's not clear whether 143 destinations excludes these freight destinations or not.

Intriguing. My family's trip to DXB (to visit my expat sister and her family) from IAH in November just got downgauged from a 380 to a 77W. I'm bummed, because the way things look that was likely my only chance to fly on the 380. Of course, if COVID forces our hand we will postpone the trip to March, or even summer 2021. Fingers crossed that IAH will get upgauged back to the 380 by then.
Jack @ AUS

usdcaguy

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 pm

hohd wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

Biggest difference is requirement of transit visas for those flying from Africa or Indian subcontinent when using European carriers (KLM is the exception for some countries like India). For a person from Bangladesh to go to South America, it is more convenient to use Middle East or Turkish carriers than European carriers which has the additional hassle of getting a transit visa.

That's true and is one of the reasons why the ME4 have done so well. But how often does someone from Bangladesh travel to places like Mexico or Panama, and at what price? It would be helpful to see the demand for travel in those markets.

ER757

Re: Emirates: 777X further delayed until 2022, considering to convert more orders to 787

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:07 pm

EK7777 wrote:
Even more 777X to be swapped for 789s:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... 787-orders

The renderings in the article are interesting - is the EK logo painted on the tips of the wings? Looks that way. VS has theirs painted red, maybe EK is taking a cue

Opus99

Re: Emirates: 777X further delayed until 2022, considering to convert more orders to 787

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:13 pm

ER757 wrote:
EK7777 wrote:

The renderings in the article are interesting - is the EK logo painted on the tips of the wings? Looks that way. VS has theirs painted red, maybe EK is taking a cue

I believe that’s for the 777X

kimbra

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:25 pm

Panama is a good place to do ship crew change and many of them are from India etc

Vladex

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm

EK has restarted A380 flights to Toronto. I couldn't believe it when I saw it again considering there is about 20% of regular traffic, Bad news for an anti A380 club.

Revelation

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:35 pm

EK7777 wrote:

The article suggests EK and Boeing have agreed on the quantity EK wants to swap, but doesn't say if that's more or less than any previous quantity. They also say they are still negotiating delivery dates.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

x1234

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:36 pm

People don't like flying the long way and ANA & AM already fly MEX-NRT and AM also flies MEX-ICN non-stop both ways now. The difference is that in Brazil the continent is so far east that its faster to fly via DXB to Asia. How is TK doing in MEX? They can offer cheap fares to Europe as IST is in Europe versus DXB. Also the flight has a stop in BCN making transit to Asia 1 stop a non-starter.

VV

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:45 pm

The article also says they are discussing with Airbus.

Any idea on the subject of discussion?
A380? A350? A330neo?

LAX772LR

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:49 pm

kimbra wrote:
Panama is a good place to do ship crew change and many of them are from India etc

And yet, they couldn't get service started there during good times...
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

9Patch

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:54 pm

StTim wrote:
I doubt the 787 is making money at current production rates.

Probably the only plane making money now is the A320 family.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos