Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11
 
lalib
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:48 am

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:05 pm

KingOrGod wrote:
zeke wrote:

Even after being terminated don’t they go into 25% basic pay, free health care and accommodation until they leave the country ?

That’s the UAE sponsorship visa conditions isn’t it ?.


I worked in a rich neighbouring emirate, and some time ago (before corona) when my contract was summarily terminated, they didn't even give me the agreed notice period. They terminated my visa and I had 8 days to sell up and leave otherwise face arrest. They play their own game there and one should realise they have no conscience with a lot of stuff. Play with fire, get burned. It's the ME all over. No ethics.


Doesn't happen with all companies and they are not that unreasonable. I worked for EY for 2 years plus. I got made redundant in 2017. They were lenient before canceling my visa as I was scrambling to find another job. Once I found something after 3 - 4 months I asked them to cancel it and it was done.
 
Sokes
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Emirates Retires First A380

Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:50 am

CriticalPoint wrote:
Second the US is not a market for the A380 because of the hub structure we have. You can get to Tokyo on US carriers from:

LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA/SLC/DEN/IAH/DFW/MSP/ORD/
DTW/EWR/JFK/IAD/ATL

Airlines that have A380s had a single or double hub structure so they could fill the seats.

I learnt something.
I always wondered why it's not mostly used transpacific.
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
Sokes
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:02 am

Revelation wrote:
smartplane wrote:
A buyback does not make the OEM a lease holder. They would be a beneficial owner if invoked, and have a contingent liability until invoked, expires or retired.

Ahh, the old buyback clause. The ghost of John Leary may end up haunting the house of Airbus.

Can you expand on that?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24294
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:56 pm

Sokes wrote:
Revelation wrote:
smartplane wrote:
A buyback does not make the OEM a lease holder. They would be a beneficial owner if invoked, and have a contingent liability until invoked, expires or retired.

Ahh, the old buyback clause. The ghost of John Leary may end up haunting the house of Airbus.

Can you expand on that?

We know Airbus is buying back 6 A380s from LH. We do not know if other such buyback arrangements exist. We do know Airbus used guarantees on resale value and buyback clauses to help sell A340-NGs ( ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... 4E20131205 ). Both A380 and A340-NG sales happened while Leahy was at Airbus.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
Sokes
Posts: 1610
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:48 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Revelation wrote:
We know Airbus is buying back 6 A380s from LH. We do not know if other such buyback arrangements exist. We do know Airbus used guarantees on resale value and buyback clauses to help sell A340-NGs ( ref: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airb ... 4E20131205 ). Both A380 and A340-NG sales happened while Leahy was at Airbus.

I think Bombardier did the same with business jets. It's an attractive policy. It increases bonuses for today's management.
Considering that Bombardier was family controlled I may be wrong, but I think risk management should be left to lessors.

Such type of contracts make it rather impossible for an average investor to come to an investment decision. Moreover as the annual report won't tell how these guarantees look like.
But why should the owners know?
Why can't the world be a little bit more autistic?
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:15 am

To provide a quick update on things at EK:

It looks like Emirates has yet to receive it's government injection:

DUBAI - Emirates needs a bailout from its sole shareholder, the Dubai government, to survive the corona crisis, CEO Tim Clark said in an interview with FlightGlobal. He does not mention a deadline, but says he will need the money "sooner than later".


On the point of how initial A380 operations are fairing:

Clark says he is satisfied with the occupancy rate on A380 flights. This is enough to cover the operational costs and make a little profit. The A380 is now being deployed to six airports, including Schiphol, but he expects more routes soon.


https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/c ... 73.article

In terms of the A380 situation, LHR, CDG, CAI, CAN, and YYZ are the sole A380 operations right now. AMS was dropped on account of the low load factors on the route. A380 flight deck crew are having to take a mandatory 1 month unpaid leave sometime between now and November. No further redundancies have been made since July.

Operationally, over 70 destinations are operating at varying frequencies. I think the biggest challenge is creating connecting opportunities. A lot of the prime feed markets EK has relied on, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and India are mostly closed off to all international travel. EK's operations to Australia are heavily restricted too, limited to just 35, 25, and 45 seats allowed to be sold inbound to SYD, BNE, and PER respectively.
 
Western727
Posts: 1773
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
To provide a quick update on things at EK:

It looks like Emirates has yet to receive it's government injection:

DUBAI - Emirates needs a bailout from its sole shareholder, the Dubai government, to survive the corona crisis, CEO Tim Clark said in an interview with FlightGlobal. He does not mention a deadline, but says he will need the money "sooner than later".


On the point of how initial A380 operations are fairing:

Clark says he is satisfied with the occupancy rate on A380 flights. This is enough to cover the operational costs and make a little profit. The A380 is now being deployed to six airports, including Schiphol, but he expects more routes soon.


https://www.flightglobal.com/networks/c ... 73.article

In terms of the A380 situation, LHR, CDG, CAI, CAN, and YYZ are the sole A380 operations right now. AMS was dropped on account of the low load factors on the route. A380 flight deck crew are having to take a mandatory 1 month unpaid leave sometime between now and November. No further redundancies have been made since July.

Operationally, over 70 destinations are operating at varying frequencies. I think the biggest challenge is creating connecting opportunities. A lot of the prime feed markets EK has relied on, South Africa, Saudi Arabia and India are mostly closed off to all international travel. EK's operations to Australia are heavily restricted too, limited to just 35, 25, and 45 seats allowed to be sold inbound to SYD, BNE, and PER respectively.


Thank you, Airlinerdude. My family of 4 was booked last March for IAH-DXB to visit my expat sister and her family who live near AUH. Needless to say, we rescheduled the trip to US Thanksgiving week (last week of November). Recently my sister advised that it would likely not be worth going then, given how strict the Emiratis are with quarantines, closures and such. In any case, my only chance to fly on the 380...has now been downgauged to a 77W for the dates of 20-29 November. :banghead:

My sister believes we should reschedule to March of 2021, and then if things do not improve, summer of 2021. We must use the ticket by 17 Nov 2021, which is the 2-year mark from when we purchased the Economy Saver tickets. I'm tempted to just request a refund at this point, so that we have more flexibility.
Jack @ AUS
 
Retaliation
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:02 pm

brilondon wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Emirates had deep pockets and would be able to weather this storm if any airline could. I guess there are limits to how much cash they have.



Dubai is a bubble inflated by a constant tourists inflow, So is Emirates as they contributed a huge (some say up to 66%) in Dubai's Economy. Once the Love song stopped playing their world turned upside down.
Someone from the airline community said the guy who is responsible for such disastrous planning is busy in firing people from the same airline he made wrong decisions for.
Moka Kakaa a.
 
emiratesdriver
Posts: 291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:04 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:19 pm

Retaliation wrote:
brilondon wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Emirates had deep pockets and would be able to weather this storm if any airline could. I guess there are limits to how much cash they have.



Dubai is a bubble inflated by a constant tourists inflow, So is Emirates as they contributed a huge (some say up to 66%) in Dubai's Economy. Once the Love song stopped playing their world turned upside down.
Someone from the airline community said the guy who is responsible for such disastrous planning is busy in firing people from the same airline he made wrong decisions for.


‘‘Twas ever thus” Emirates isn’t alone in this regard.
 
Retaliation
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:52 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:07 pm

emiratesdriver wrote:
Retaliation wrote:
brilondon wrote:
I'm kind of surprised at this. I thought Emirates had deep pockets and would be able to weather this storm if any airline could. I guess there are limits to how much cash they have.



Dubai is a bubble inflated by a constant tourists inflow, So is Emirates as they contributed a huge (some say up to 66%) in Dubai's Economy. Once the Love song stopped playing their world turned upside down.
Someone from the airline community said the guy who is responsible for such disastrous planning is busy in firing people from the same airline he made wrong decisions for.


‘‘Twas ever thus” Emirates isn’t alone in this regard.


Right, Emirates competes only with 2 more carriers with somehow similar circumstances.
I hope you won't compare it with Western carriers. Time will tell where EK stands compared to the other two.
Moka Kakaa a.
 
Airlinerdude
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:07 am

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:54 am

COO Al Redha says Emirates will be serving 143 destinations by next summer:

Dubai state carrier Emirates Airline will serve all of its 143 destinations by the summer of 2021, with the frequency of flights depending on demand, the company’s chief operating officer said this week.

...

Al-Redha said the relaxation of rules helped the airline, which is “definitely” seeing a positive trend. “If I compare our performance now with a month ago, we have almost doubled the number of passengers we have been carrying on board our aircraft.” He said the airline’s performance in July and August has been “better than what we have expected earlier.”


https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/emirate ... -2021.html

Interesting to see such an optimistic outlook for Summer 2021. As at March 31, 2020 Emirates had 158 destinations, 16 of these were freight-only destinations. Emirates had plans to start PEN on April 9, 2020, however this destination did not officially launch for obvious reasons. It's not clear whether 143 destinations excludes these freight destinations or not.
 
Western727
Posts: 1773
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
COO Al Redha says Emirates will be serving 143 destinations by next summer:

Dubai state carrier Emirates Airline will serve all of its 143 destinations by the summer of 2021, with the frequency of flights depending on demand, the company’s chief operating officer said this week.

...

Al-Redha said the relaxation of rules helped the airline, which is “definitely” seeing a positive trend. “If I compare our performance now with a month ago, we have almost doubled the number of passengers we have been carrying on board our aircraft.” He said the airline’s performance in July and August has been “better than what we have expected earlier.”


https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/20/emirate ... -2021.html

Interesting to see such an optimistic outlook for Summer 2021. As at March 31, 2020 Emirates had 158 destinations, 16 of these were freight-only destinations. Emirates had plans to start PEN on April 9, 2020, however this destination did not officially launch for obvious reasons. It's not clear whether 143 destinations excludes these freight destinations or not.


Intriguing. My family's trip to DXB (to visit my expat sister and her family) from IAH in November just got downgauged from a 380 to a 77W. I'm bummed, because the way things look that was likely my only chance to fly on the 380. Of course, if COVID forces our hand we will postpone the trip to March, or even summer 2021. Fingers crossed that IAH will get upgauged back to the 380 by then.
Jack @ AUS
 
Vladex
Posts: 471
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:26 pm

EK has restarted A380 flights to Toronto. I couldn't believe it when I saw it again considering there is about 20% of regular traffic, Bad news for an anti A380 club.


Image
Image
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 24294
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:46 pm

Some interesting stuff from Sir Tim Clark via FG on A380neo:

“With the winglets changing, propulsion and gear in some cases, this was an aeroplane that I think was going to be absolutely brilliant,” he says.
...
“Had the Trent XWB, as the baseline engine for the A380neo, been developed to where Rolls told us it would be, we were talking about a step-change in consumption – the usual thing about a 12-14% in fuel [burn].”

Clark says that despite undertaking much work with Airbus on the proposed variant, “events overtook us and that was the end of that”.

Ref: https://www.flightglobal.com/proposed-a ... 99.article

STC is incredibly loyal to A380. It'll be interesting if that loyalty remains once he is retired.

Bad job on the journo for not pushing him on what "events", other than sanity prevailing, overtook the A380neo.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
WorldFlier
Posts: 385
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: Rumour: Emirates to decommission 40% of A380 fleet

Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:25 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
It is a question to which an answer is known.

Way to much normalization here of Emirates and their employment practices.

I have a big problem with the fact that they are looking at anyone 60 and over and firing them.

Who gives a damn about their plane plans when they treat humans like garbage.


I will not fly any ME3, ever. Period. Anyone who does supports this system.
  • 1
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
  • 11

Who is online

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos