Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ua900
Topic Author

Libyan Airlines A330 and a smaller second Libyan plane at TXL today?

Sun May 17, 2020 5:54 pm

Noticed a Libyan A330 and another Libyan plane parked near the old Air Berlin area at TXL today. Looks like they came in as LAA 172 and 176 and left as LAA 173 and 177 repositioning back to Misrata.

Does anyone know whether they are related to the recent Libya conference in Berlin or whether something else brought them to Berlin?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/LAA ... /HLMS/EDDT
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

mxaxai

Re: Libyan Airlines A330 and a smaller second Libyan plane at TXL today?

Sun May 17, 2020 6:01 pm

I noticed today that there are daily scheduled flights between Istanbul and Misrata. The route very deliberately avoids EU airspace. Always: Southbound until south of Crete, then a 90° turn westbound until north of Misrata, and another 90° turn southbound for the approach to Misrata. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... a#247f20e3

ua900
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Ishrion wrote:

Nice source, but with Libya only having 65 cases and 3 deaths shouldn't the Covid evacuations (the term used by the twitter poster AG34934021) go the other way since Germany has 177k cases with over 8k deaths? It seems somewhat counterintuitive to evacuate *into* an area that has 2700x the number of infections and deaths as the area that one evacuated *from*.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

smokeybandit

Sun May 17, 2020 6:24 pm

Libya hasn't really done any testing so it's tough to know how bad it actually is there.

tu204

Sun May 17, 2020 6:33 pm

mxaxai wrote:
I noticed today that there are daily scheduled flights between Istanbul and Misrata. The route very deliberately avoids EU airspace. Always: Southbound until south of Crete, then a 90° turn westbound until north of Misrata, and another 90° turn southbound for the approach to Misrata. https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airc ... a#247f20e3

Those carry the mercenaries in from Turkey along with other cargo ;)
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

tu204

Sun May 17, 2020 6:37 pm

smokeybandit wrote:
Libya hasn't really done any testing so it's tough to know how bad it actually is there.

I'm going to guess they had only those 65 tests ;)

But the fact that they are a bit isolated right at the moment will of course help them out. Now the other fact that since Gaddafi was murdered their healthcare system went to shit, no oil revenues coming in right now would make any large scale pandemic have some serious effect.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

ahj2000

Sun May 17, 2020 7:59 pm

tu204 wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Acutally seems (from flightaware, realize it's not a great source) that Mitiga (current replacement for Tripoli Airport, if anyone's wondering) recieves several daily flights from the outside world, especially Tunis. Istanbul, Amman, and Alexandria all seem to have frequent flights as well.
A country in ruin has to get its supplies soemwhere...
-Andrés Juánez

ua900
Topic Author

Sun May 17, 2020 8:55 pm

smokeybandit wrote:

Thanks, that explains it.

asuflyer

Sun May 17, 2020 11:14 pm

Last week two Libyan aircraft were heavily damaged to due a rocket attack at Mitiga Airport an 5A-LAU an A330 and an A320 5A-LAQ which had returned from IST after a repatriation flight. The repatriation flights are now continuing from Misrata.

https://simpleflying.com/libyan-airlines-rocket-attack/

tu204

Mon May 18, 2020 4:37 am

ahj2000 wrote:
tu204 wrote:
mxaxai wrote:

Acutally seems (from flightaware, realize it's not a great source) that Mitiga (current replacement for Tripoli Airport, if anyone's wondering) recieves several daily flights from the outside world, especially Tunis. Istanbul, Amman, and Alexandria all seem to have frequent flights as well.
A country in ruin has to get its supplies soemwhere...

The Libyan conflict is an interesting and unusual one in that there is a certain level of cooperation between the warring parties. Also it's interesting that Matiga receives civilian (and semi-civilian) flight despite having attack UAV's based there and being within artillery range, hence the occasional shelling.

Misrata gets the regular flights to/from Turkey because of long time cultural ties to Turkey. Remember Libya's eithnic makeup.

As far as supplies go, Libya doesn't produce much in terms of consumer goods, but most those come in through the land borders. The stuff coming in on those flights, to both sides would be a bit more sinister.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos