Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ishrion
Topic Author

Rumor: Delta to Convert Some Planes to All Delta One Suites

Mon May 18, 2020 12:57 am

Just another rumor... not really sure what to make of it.

We’ve learned that Delta Air Lines is considering converting some of its aircraft to all an-Delta One seating configuration for some overseas routes.

This information comes to Rene’s Points from a reliable and well-placed source.

https://renespoints.boardingarea.com/20 ... ardingArea

ikramerica

Re: Rumor: Delta to Convert Some Planes to All Delta One Suites

Mon May 18, 2020 1:00 am

I wondered about something like that. Not sure if enough business pax are going to be available.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

questions

Mon May 18, 2020 1:02 am

“This information comes to Rene’s Points from a reliable and well-placed source.”

slcdeltarumd11

Mon May 18, 2020 1:09 am

Sounds insane at first but if you offer none of the luxury amenities and it's really just the seat at say random number 700 each way I bet you there is demand between some large cities like nyc-lax. Sounds crazy but in a weird way I could see it working as the luxury items like expensive wine and food prblounge access or baggage could not be included in the suite price. Advertise it well plane normally holds 170 now only 40 (just example) people are paying for safety it's a crazy time I could actually see this . Two months ago the idea would be laughable

questions

Mon May 18, 2020 1:10 am

ikramerica wrote:
I wondered about something like that. Not sure if enough business pax are going to be available.

Highly questionable source.

It may very well be that this is being analyzed as a potential product. One of many ideas being analyzed right now. It would be for travelers on key, high margin routes who would be willingly to pay a large premium for a less densely configured plane. With private jet service on an upswing for well heeled travelers, Delta may think they can capture some of the market. First mover may be advantageous. But it would be expensive to operate and a questionable potential market size.

If it’s being analyzed to determine whether or not a business case exists, whoever let it leak should be fired.

KlimaBXsst

Mon May 18, 2020 1:40 am

One has to ask, why pay for space when you have it in the coach cabin already for 1/4th the price.

In a time of tight budgets, can high priced cabins be justified for a small or large businesses bottom line?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

jayunited

Mon May 18, 2020 1:44 am

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
Sounds insane at first but if you offer none of the luxury amenities and it's really just the seat at say random number 700 each way I bet you there is demand between some large cities like nyc-lax. Sounds crazy but in a weird way I could see it working as the luxury items like expensive wine and food prblounge access or baggage could not be included in the suite price. Advertise it well plane normally holds 170 now only 40 (just example) people are paying for safety it's a crazy time I could actually see this . Two months ago the idea would be laughable

The seat would cost a lot more than $700 dollars if only 40 were onboard instead of the usual 170, just using your example. Think about all of the cost involved even if you stripped all the luxury amenities out the airline still has to cover its cost and hopefully make a profit.

SQ tried an all business class layout but even they on their A359ULRs have some economy seats. I'm not saying it could not be done but I do think it would be nearly impossible for Delta to turn a profit on a flight operating in an all business class layout.

jfk777

Mon May 18, 2020 1:46 am

Seems something unlikely at an a US3 airline, wouldn't surprise if Singapore or Cathay did something like this.

Is Delta really going to fly an A350 with 75 Delta One passengers to say Johannesburg or Sydney ?

flyby519

Mon May 18, 2020 1:53 am

How much would it cost to change the cabin on a typical WB to all D1 seats?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 18, 2020 1:59 am

The rumor could be as simple as taking 75H / 75S and selling blocks of 3 seats in Y and flying them from JFK to Europe and calling it all Delta One. Even 763s could as well with one pac per block of seats.

No way they would be able to do hard product seat conversions.

KFTG

Mon May 18, 2020 2:20 am

You mean they're taking United's 767 high-J config and doing the same?

deltairlines

Mon May 18, 2020 2:26 am

As soon as I saw the words Renes Points, all credibility was shot. Renes Points is a well-known joke on Virginia Avenue...he is basically persona non grata there.

jetblueguy22

Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 am

I could maybe see DL doing a JFK-LAX/SFO kind of set up on the A321. But an all Delta One? I don't know how successful they'd be with it. But then again, maybe some people will pay a premium just to get on a plane and be a little less worried about COVID.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

rrbsztk

Mon May 18, 2020 2:28 am

Would this necessarily be a wide body? Or are they (if indeed they are considering/contemplating this) looking asst converting narrownbodies (or even A220s)?

NW

Mon May 18, 2020 2:53 am

deltairlines wrote:
As soon as I saw the words Renes Points, all credibility was shot. Renes Points is a well-known joke on Virginia Avenue...he is basically persona non grata there.

Absolutely, he's known for spreading false information like a wildfire.

n7371f

Mon May 18, 2020 4:41 am

This is a ridiculous rumor.

strfyr51

Mon May 18, 2020 4:54 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The rumor could be as simple as taking 75H / 75S and selling blocks of 3 seats in Y and flying them from JFK to Europe and calling it all Delta One. Even 763s could as well with one pac per block of seats.

No way they would be able to do hard product seat conversions.

eh? Care to explain why NOT?

ZuluTime

Mon May 18, 2020 8:56 am

I wouldn't laugh this one out - but think more about A220s and the possibility for London City-JFK with them (and maybe some others like JFK-SNA if DL can obtain slots at SNA). Odyssey Airlines - which hasn't managed to get airborne - had some exclusivity arrangement over the airfield performance and mod kits with Bombardier for the CS100 to fly LCY transatlantic operations but I seem to recall that agreement had a sunset clause. There's also the small matter that Odyssey has racked up big debts even before it started and its latest accounts show it has no money, so any contract with Bombardier/Airbus is likely to be void on that count anyway.

It may well be that the concept on the table is an all-Delta One configured A220 on LCY-JFK.

chonetsao

Mon May 18, 2020 9:49 am

I kinda of think it could be done. Since now DL is going to retire all the B777 that are refitted with D1 seats. And it would be so much of a waste to throw all those seats away as they only fit in B777. They could theoretically keep 2-3 B777 for short term and move all D1 seats onto the aircraft. They could also leave the last section of the aircraft for cargo.

It is an option but I just do not see it happening.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Mon May 18, 2020 11:11 am

The amount of time money and effort to do mods and get certifications renders it a moot point in the near term to do hard product conversions.

tphuang

Mon May 18, 2020 11:14 am

It seems unlikely in a time we are entering into a depression with 20% unemployment rate. Outside from JFK-LHR, can't see where else this would work. It seems like DL is trying to reduce fleet complexity at this point.

enilria

Mon May 18, 2020 11:16 am

Ishrion wrote:

We’ve learned that Delta Air Lines is considering converting some of its aircraft to all an-Delta One seating configuration for some overseas routes.

I'm sure they are looking at it. Here's the problem. There's leisure traffic. There's zero business traffic. With UK adding 14 day quarantine there won't be any. If Europe follows there is no travel till that ends.

MIflyer12

Mon May 18, 2020 11:26 am

Maybe they're looking at this to replace the (very old, but generally lightly utilized) 75C charter fleet.

JohanTally

Mon May 18, 2020 11:44 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
Maybe they're looking at this to replace the (very old, but generally lightly utilized) 75C charter fleet.

This is what I'm thinking. The aircraft currently being used for the NBA Charters being replaced and utilized for scheduled all business class service when it's not being chartered.

sxf24

Mon May 18, 2020 12:15 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Although Delta operates this fleet, they no longer own it.

avek00

Mon May 18, 2020 12:24 pm

If it comes to pass, I expect Delta will seek FAA approval to ship low risk cargo on existing Economy seats, and just use the existing Delta One cabins as they are. Technical aspects aside, the idea is not entirely far-fetched when you consider European airports will almost certainly introduce capacity metering restrictions of some kind as longhaul services resume, and there's little economic upside n carrying Y pax across oceans until we're closer to normalcy.
Live life to the fullest.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Mon May 18, 2020 12:55 pm

You don't get it. Whether it's COVID, some other pandemic, or climate change, the prevailing trend will be to separate society in many ways, including those who can travel to the real place, experience it without crowds, and receive a luxurious experience, versus those who will have to settle for the "Zoom" version or 3DVR version of that experience, including home delivery of "authentic foreign cuisine" for your microwave.

What if what we are experiencing now is a permanent sea change in restricting travel to just the global elites? How do we do that? We create "first class" only planes. Where the average price for a TATL ticket was say $1,000 during high season, it will now be $6,000 per person, including new amenities like "all first class" planes, health screenings upon departure and arrival, branded PPE made by Louis Vuitton.

Your new future is here. Delta is just buying into it.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

raylee67

Mon May 18, 2020 1:32 pm

I think this is worthy for Delta to test it out.

International travel will not just open up and go back to normal. There will be restrictions. Different countries will put in different restrictions, be it health screening or quarantine requirement. "Travel Bubble" is one of them, e.g. Baltic, Aus-NZ, all-EU, etc. The other one that has been floated in some countries is that they will open to "business travelers" only. This makes sense because it will limit the number of travelers greatly but it will bring in the high rollers. So if your country or city is a premier business destination, you may get only 10% of normal incoming traffic but 40% of the travel income. Virus follows people, not money. Each additional person you allow into your country increase the chance of virus coming in proportionally, regardless of high much money that person is spending in your country. Naturally, country will want the top spenders if they are only allowing in a limited number of people. You essentially get the best of both worlds. With that context, it makes sense to fly high-end business-class only flights.

If Delta is really doing this, they may limit it to a small number of 757 and 767, where they will fly to major business destinations only such as HND, ICN, LHR, CDG, FRA and AMS from their primary US gateways and also primary business destinations such as SEA, BOS, ATL and JFK.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

MIflyer12

Mon May 18, 2020 1:51 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:
You don't get it. Whether it's COVID, some other pandemic, or climate change, the prevailing trend will be to separate society in many ways, including those who can travel to the real place, experience it without crowds, and receive a luxurious experience, versus those who will have to settle for the "Zoom" version or 3DVR version of that experience, including home delivery of "authentic foreign cuisine" for your microwave.

That's your opinion. It certainly isn't worthy of being presented as objective fact. If flying means Delta One-grade separation everywhere the global traveler count is going to drop from ~4.5 Billion a year to maybe a few hundred million. Price elasticity of demand shows few people are willing to pay 5x the price.

airhansa

jfk777 wrote:
Seems something unlikely at an a US3 airline, wouldn't surprise if Singapore or Cathay did something like this.

Is Delta really going to fly an A350 with 75 Delta One passengers to say Johannesburg or Sydney ?

CX has a lot of potential in leveraging its premium brand to offer BA1-esque flights from HKG. Then use the more nimble Cathay Dragon brand with pricing range similar to Brussels Airlines to better compete with low cost airlines and Chinese airlines.

SQ seems to be doing fine so I don't want to tell it to do anything, but I agree that it also has potential.

British Airways offers a horrendous product but it's BA1 flights idea, along with it's departure location from LCY and pre-clearance in Ireland, is a wonderful product idea.

airhansa

jfk777 wrote:

CX has a lot of potential in leveraging its premium brand to offer BA1-esque flights from HKG. Then use the more nimble Cathay Dragon brand with pricing range similar to Brussels Airlines to better compete with low cost airlines and Chinese airlines.

SQ seems to be doing fine so I don't want to tell it to do anything, but I agree that it also has potential.

British Airways offers a horrendous product but it's BA1 flights idea, along with it's departure location from LCY and pre-clearance in Ireland, is a wonderful product idea.

MIflyer12

Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm

JohanTally wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

This is what I'm thinking. The aircraft currently being used for the NBA Charters being replaced and utilized for scheduled all business class service when it's not being chartered.

I don't believe the 75Cs found their way into scheduled passenger service.

Bricktop

Mon May 18, 2020 2:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

That's your opinion. It certainly isn't worthy of being presented as objective fact. If flying means Delta One-grade separation everywhere the global traveler count is going to drop from ~4.5 Billion a year to maybe a few hundred million. Price elasticity of demand shows few people are willing to pay 5x the price.

Yes, it's his opinion but I can see a lot of reality in it. COVID has changed just about every business, and I think a lot of people will not be prepared to pay even 20% more to do the kind of discretionary travel they did in the past. Even people with jobs feel poorer now. This kind of layout will not be the norm by any means, but along with the massive contraction that I believe will continue for several years, I can see a few routes being able to support this. But make no mistake, a lot of middle income Americans won't be seeing Paris/London/Barcelona any time soon.

Cubsrule

Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm

Bricktop wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

Yes, it's his opinion but I can see a lot of reality in it. COVID has changed just about every business, and I think a lot of people will not be prepared to pay even 20% more to do the kind of discretionary travel they did in the past. Even people with jobs feel poorer now. This kind of layout will not be the norm by any means, but along with the massive contraction that I believe will continue for several years, I can see a few routes being able to support this. But make no mistake, a lot of middle income Americans won't be seeing Paris/London/Barcelona any time soon.

Of course people with jobs feel poorer. That's called recession, and for those of us old enough to have been in the working world between 2008 and 2012 it's nothing new. But it's reasonbly certain that one way or another, COVID-19 won't be a concern in 3-5 years, and it's just about as certain that the economic situation will be much better then too. What makes this shock some sort of permanent change?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ahj2000

Mon May 18, 2020 2:45 pm

The only way I could see DL doing something like this is if they were to replace their old VIP charter jet. IIRC, it was a 752, and if those are going to be would down, it would seem likely that it would need a replacement. 321?
-Andrés Juánez

DL747400

Mon May 18, 2020 3:01 pm

jayunited wrote:
SQ tried an all business class layout but even they on their A359ULRs have some economy seats. I'm not saying it could not be done but I do think it would be nearly impossible for Delta to turn a profit on a flight operating in an all business class layout.

Prior to COVID19, this was a true statement for SQ, but you need to remember that all of the old business models are now toast. Whether anything resembling the past ever returns is yet to be seen. The future is completely uncharted territory. Airlines will need to plan their routes, fleets, network and onboard hard product around revenues which are completely unknown at this point.

IF the DL rumor is true, it would seem to me that DL are trying to flip this whole situation upside down by creating demand and corresponding revenues around a tested product which passengers like and are willing to pay for more personal space, increased privacy and physical barriers to separate themselves from their fellow travelers. These are attributes which international long haul travelers have always wanted. Perhaps a larger percentage of passengers will expect and demand this type of product in a post-COVID19 world. Lower the pricing and you may have something that a much larger number of people are willing to pay for when they fly.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

kavok

Mon May 18, 2020 3:03 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
The amount of time money and effort to do mods and get certifications renders it a moot point in the near term to do hard product conversions.

Exactly. Folks, there will be a day when many people are willing to travel in coach across the ocean again. For some, that day will come much sooner than others. Obviously just about everyone would prefer Delta One over Coach, but very few are willing to pay for it. That was the case 3 months ago, and that will be the case a year or two from now. Maybe travel will be down in the next couple of years, but that doesn’t mean the people that are flying will only choose Delta One.

It’s not worth the effort to make this change. The only exception I could see is that maybe there are enough spare wide-bodies sitting around that it might make enough sense to create a few “international charters” where the whole plane is configured that way. And again, the economics of that are more due to the value in creating some charter planes from birds that would otherwise be heading to the desert.

IFlyVeryLittle

Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 pm

If the idea is to compete with NetJets or Wheels Up for an exclusivity thing while charging a little something less, but still make the "elite" tromp through the same airports and wait in the same lines as the great unwashed, whats the point? Some things just sound more authoritative when someone writes them down, but do we know this is anything more than "Hey, Bob, what if we tried this...."

AA747123

Mon May 18, 2020 3:30 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
I could maybe see DL doing a JFK-LAX/SFO kind of set up on the A321. But an all Delta One? I don't know how successful they'd be with it. But then again, maybe some people will pay a premium just to get on a plane and be a little less worried about COVID.

The ex- AA 321T will be offered by the banks at deep discounts, so I am sure DL can pick them up. The ex-AA321T have only 102 seats

tphuang

Mon May 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Bricktop wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

So you are agreeing with MIflyer12 that there will be fewer traveler willing to pay such a premium rather than more since we are in the middle of a recession.

tphuang

Mon May 18, 2020 3:46 pm

AA747123 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

The ex- AA 321T will be offered by the banks at deep discounts, so I am sure DL can pick them up. The ex-AA321T have only 102 seats

did I miss something, ex-A321T? When did these A321T get taken from AA?

chonetsao

Mon May 18, 2020 3:51 pm

AA747123 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

As far as I know, AA still has its A321T. Where are those AA ex-A321T coming from?

DL747400

Mon May 18, 2020 3:58 pm

tphuang wrote:

You already know this, but there are a number of folks who believe that it is only a matter of time before AA files for bankruptcy or collapses. See this other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446411
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

tphuang

Mon May 18, 2020 4:45 pm

DL747400 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

You already know this, but there are a number of folks who believe that it is only a matter of time before AA files for bankruptcy or collapses. See this other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1446411

I'm in that camp, but I was just surprised someone wrote A321T is already gone. At this point, I'm not really sure how many airlines are going to be able to take those aircraft off banks hand. If DL wanted air frames, it can just unpark some of its aircraft.

davescj

Mon May 18, 2020 4:49 pm

It isn't completely crazy. MartinAir at one time ran an AMS - IAH- AMS service for KLM (it was the only flight I could not get DL mile credit on). They ran an all J service on a 737. I could see DL doing something similar for high J routes (JFK-LHR, CDG, AMS, that kind of thing). It might be a way to squeeze some value out of a 757 fleet or an older 737 fleet moving toward A3xx fleet.
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

JohanTally

Mon May 18, 2020 5:12 pm

AA747123 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

Obviously AAs financials are worse off than all the other major US airlines but to pretend that they have already defaulted and are having planes repossessed is a bit premature. DL would have to rip the AA321T down to an empty shell and then install their own interior. I'm not sure how that would save any money versus using aircraft they already have on hand or on order. The AA321T might end up being one of AAs more successful aircraft if the concept of social distancing continues long term. Traffic is picking up significantly faster than anticipated and AA is in a situation where they might have to bring back stored planes and employees on leaves of absence much sooner than earlier thought.

enilria

Mon May 18, 2020 8:33 pm

GEUltraFan9XGTF wrote:

What if what we are experiencing now is a permanent sea change in restricting travel to just the global elites? How do we do that? We create "first class" only planes. Where the average price for a TATL ticket was say $1,000 during high season, it will now be $6,000 per person, including new amenities like "all first class" planes, health screenings upon departure and arrival, branded PPE made by Louis Vuitton.

Your new future is here. Delta is just buying into it.

The problem is that globetrotting "elites" are more likely infected than the coach passengers who travel infrequently...so, makes little sense.

TW870

Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 pm

enilria wrote:
Ishrion wrote:

I'm sure they are looking at it. Here's the problem. There's leisure traffic. There's zero business traffic. With UK adding 14 day quarantine there won't be any. If Europe follows there is no travel till that ends.

I am sure they are not looking at it, especially given that this whole thread is sourced in only one subjective document. Certifying a reconfiguration of any aircraft is highly time consuming and highly capital intensive. Until the virus is controlled due to treatment and vaccine, cash conservation is going to be the goal. Then, once the virus is controlled, the airlines will gradually rebuild. This idea that there are going to be massive capital outlays to put everyone in plastic bubbles is not consistent with either epidemiology (the virus will not dominate us forever) or airline economics (airlines don't reconfigure to match demand for the pit of a black swan event).

DDR

Mon May 18, 2020 9:08 pm

AA747123 wrote:
jetblueguy22 wrote:

LOL. AA is still in business and no planes have been repo’d. Nice troll post.

panamair

Tue May 19, 2020 8:10 am

While reconfiguring planes to be all Delta One is probably an exaggeration and someone's imagination gone wild, the premise that people will value more space and comfort in this pandemic age and may be willing to pay more for it is not untrue and as the linked article below says, Delta is certainly exploring it. It may be something as simple as just keeping planes no more than 60% filled and giving people more room throughout the aircraft.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusiv ... 50573.html

".....Delta Air Lines Inc <DAL.N> will keep planes no more than 60% full through at least July, adding more flights to its schedule than demand would usually justify, people familiar with the matter said. The move is part of a longer-term bet that CEO Ed Bastian highlighted to investors last month: that consumers' perceptions of safety will be instrumental in reviving more routine travel, and that they will be willing to pay a premium for comfort....."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos