Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AAlaxfan
Topic Author

UA: Kirby to become CEO this week.

Tue May 19, 2020 2:29 am

According to this Instagram post, Oscar Munoz is going to step down as CEO later this week with Scott KIrby becoming the new CEO. Munoz will remain Chairman of the Board.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAVZUrfDDYX ... _copy_link
Grumpy. Not a dwarf, not an attitude. It's a lifestyle.

TonyBurr

Re: UA: Kirby to become CEO this week.

Tue May 19, 2020 2:33 am

I am very sorry to hear this. Kirby is not the person you need at a time like this. He is the death knell of this airline.

kabq737

Tue May 19, 2020 2:44 am

TonyBurr wrote:
I am very sorry to hear this. Kirby is not the person you need at a time like this. He is the death knell of this airline.

He has no chance to succeed with attitudes like that underneath him. People have to give him respect and a chance. There is zero chance of success if the very employees who are instrumental to that plan refuse to give it a try or give him a chance.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46

TonyBurr

Tue May 19, 2020 2:59 am

I will "give him respect" when he shows he deserves it, it does not come automatically. The same with support for his work. As a passenger, I do no like what he has done, especially to his decisions with the elite flyers. So, he has already made his "mark" known, and I cannot support him.

jumpseat67

Tue May 19, 2020 3:17 am

Does anyone at all realize that this plan was announce back on 12-5-19 for this to happen this week? Anyone at all?

Amwest2United

Tue May 19, 2020 3:23 am

jumpseat67 wrote:
Does anyone at all realize that this plan was announce back on 12-5-19 for this to happen this week? Anyone at all?

I am betting not, most like to fire 1st ask questions later
Life is what happens to you while you making plans to live it!

DeltaPSCFlyer

Tue May 19, 2020 4:00 am

jumpseat67 wrote:

Yes, this is old news. But then a lot has happened since then, so it got lost in the headlines.

LCDFlight

Tue May 19, 2020 4:08 am

Kirby has proven he has the goods, which is why he and Doug were put in charge of AA and why Kirby was put in charge of UA. This isn't his first rodeo. He understands the fundamentals... balancing a big airline system, acquiring or retiring fleets, justifying growing or winding down business lines. If those decisions aren't made right, employees will not have a good workplace and customers won't get a competitive value, and the business will weaken. Kirby is known as a guy with a sharp pencil. This can benefit employees. In particular, investors need to believe there is a leader who understands decisions and isn't dithering or inept. Hence Kirby.

Munoz has been an honorable CEO who will go down as a spirit leader of the company. People should remember what he did. There aren't many like him.

intotheair

Tue May 19, 2020 4:38 am

Yes, this is old news. The only new news is that Brett Hart was named last week as president.

Scott Kirby is the best thing to happen to United in a very long time. I think he understands the challenges ahead and knows exactly what to do to make sure UAL can weather the storm and return to its former prestige.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 380 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 CRK Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN

TWA772LR

Tue May 19, 2020 4:47 am

Brett Hart is becoming President and from what I hear from a lady I work with who used to work under him is that he is a people-person like Oscar. He should complement Kirby nicely being the yin to his yang.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

KFTG

Tue May 19, 2020 5:56 am

Maybe his first act as CEO will be to reinstate M&A employee pay to 100% in the spirit and intent of the CARES act.
This will allow the 30% or so of M&A employees htiting the streets come 01Oct to have the largest cash cushion as possible.
You know, because we’re all “in this together”, and all.
Maybe.

kordcj

Tue May 19, 2020 8:56 am

KFTG wrote:
Maybe his first act as CEO will be to reinstate M&A employee pay to 100% in the spirit and intent of the CARES act.
This will allow the 30% or so of M&A employees htiting the streets come 01Oct to have the largest cash cushion as possible.
Maybe.

Did you realize that the CARES act didn’t cover 100% pay? There was a $1B+ gap between what was given and full pay. I’m sure any person who was laid off with nothing from other entities would be happy to get 70% pay for 6 months. Be grateful for what you did get instead of what you didn’t.
The most obvious proof for intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't tried to contact us.

MIflyer12

Tue May 19, 2020 9:55 am

KFTG wrote:

Yeh, because hurrying to blow through UA's cash and borrowing ability is just what they want to do right now. Money has to come from somewhere. It's not coming from operating earnings.

silentbob

Tue May 19, 2020 10:37 am

jumpseat67 wrote:

In all fairness, December of 2019 feels like a decade ago.

ericm2031

Tue May 19, 2020 11:30 am

kordcj wrote:
KFTG wrote:
Maybe.

Did you realize that the CARES act didn’t cover 100% pay? There was a $1B+ gap between what was given and full pay. I’m sure any person who was laid off with nothing from other entities would be happy to get 70% pay for 6 months. Be grateful for what you did get instead of what you didn’t.

Plus I think those who got hours cut can still collect unemployment for those hours

Polot

Tue May 19, 2020 11:33 am

As mentioned this has been known since December. I wouldn’t hold your breath on any sudden changes (good or bad), Kirby has likely already been leading UA’s response to Covid behind the scenes, certainly Oscar would have been keeping him in the loop. Kirby was being groomed to be the next CEO from the get go.

Ziyulu

Tue May 19, 2020 11:41 am

I hope he brings back meals on domestic flights.

jayunited

Tue May 19, 2020 12:30 pm

KFTG wrote:
Maybe.

As a management employee at United Airlines that is the dumbest thing Kirby could do. I have no idea whether or not I will have a job but restoring M&A employees pay would do more damage to to United that what has already been done.

We have all known about the possibility of layoffs since February when UA pulled down a huge portion of the international schedule. Any UA employee who still had blinders on had those blinders ripped off the first week in March when the bottom fell out of the domestic market. You should have been preparing then and reducing all personal non-essential, discretionary spending just in case the unexpected happened. One thing about working in this industry that I learned years ago while on the ramp is you always live within your means or slightly below because you never know when the tide will change. I saw it on the ramp when UA filed for bankruptcy people who lived above their means (depending on overtime) lost a lot, and now here we are again people in management living above their means now finding themselves in financial straits and wanting to blame United Airlines.

Prior to COVID-19 Kirby was doing a great job, from the moment he was hired here at UA, he came in with one goal to grow the airline and he delivered on that promise. Even when Wall Street thought UA's plan was a bit more than the domestic market could take Kirby proved them wrong. Yeah he was in the mist of s skirmish with ALPA over scope but any person who have been with UA since bankruptcy knows UA pilots will not give in on scope and every President/CEO has always tried Kirby was no different he had to try.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos