Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Qatar Airways cabin crew to wear hazmat suits

Tue May 19, 2020 3:50 pm

Well, this should do wonders for passenger confidence....

“ Qatar Airways is one of several airlines to introduce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) suits for its cabin crew in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
From now onwards, all flight attendants for Qatar's flag carrier will wear a hazmat suit over their uniforms, along with safety goggles, gloves and a mask during flights.”

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

enilria

Re: Qatar Airways cabin crew to wear hazmat suits

Tue May 19, 2020 3:54 pm

The industry is screwed

rida79

Tue May 19, 2020 4:26 pm

This is great news. I am not a crew member nor am I working in the aviation industry, but I do believe that these people need protection and therefore I am glad they'll be wearing PPE gear.

nws2002

Tue May 19, 2020 5:09 pm

It is a bit excessive, but likely mostly to create comfort among crew and passengers. A mask/face covering and gloves would likely be just as effective.

USAirALB

Tue May 19, 2020 5:10 pm

Unless they are to receive training on how to properly doff the PPE to eliminate contamination this is simply a placebo effect and has the potential to increase exposure.
RJ85, F70, E135, E140, E145, E70, E75, E90, CR2, CR7, CR9, 717, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 753, 762, 772, 77E, 77W, 789, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 343, 359, 388

LAXintl

Tue May 19, 2020 5:11 pm

Increasing number of foreign airlines crews do wear such.

Here are two Chinese airlines at LAX.

Air China if I recall correctly

Hainan
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

catiii

Tue May 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Hasn't Air Canada been doing this for a while? https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-ca ... -1.5521769

slcdeltarumd11

Tue May 19, 2020 7:07 pm

It's gonna be a while until flying is "fun" again

Sam chui video is becoming accurate.

MaksFly

Tue May 19, 2020 7:20 pm

I would think that the lack of oxygen caused by wearing the masks would be a bigger hazard and danger than any possible COVID.

9Patch

Tue May 19, 2020 7:27 pm

I pity the poor cabin crew having to wear hazmat suites on a long-haul flight.
I can barely stand to wear a face mask for a short trip to the grocery store.
For a while I was donning latex gloves to go grocery shopping, but I can't stand the way they make my hands sweat, so I don't anymore.

Dominion301

Tue May 19, 2020 7:57 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

“ Qatar Airways is one of several airlines to introduce Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) suits for its cabin crew in light of the coronavirus pandemic.
From now onwards, all flight attendants for Qatar's flag carrier will wear a hazmat suit over their uniforms, along with safety goggles, gloves and a mask during flights.”

It’s not surprising given how Qatar’s outbreak proportionally is worse than the USA.

nordikcam

Tue May 19, 2020 8:13 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

It’s not surprising given how Qatar’s outbreak proportionally is worse than the USA.

But a fatality rate nil...wel officialy !

AWACSooner

Tue May 19, 2020 8:43 pm

Might as well pack it in folks...

IFlyVeryLittle

Tue May 19, 2020 8:48 pm

Probably easier to just pull a dry cleaning bag over every passenger as they sit.

bombayduck

Tue May 19, 2020 8:50 pm

It is all well and good that the flight attendants are going to use PPE. It will probably scare passengers at first until they get used to this. But what is going to protect passengers from each other.?

timesnaps

Tue May 19, 2020 9:03 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
....hazmat suit over their uniforms...

another logic defying measure! let these people wear jogging pants and T-shirts! will be uncomfortable enough in that PPE without the need for a uniform underneath

Kilopond

Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Too bad they don't come up with something like the Braniff International "space bubbles" - that was a rain protection gear for stewardesses.

hiflyeras

Tue May 19, 2020 9:20 pm

I think it's ridiculous. If it has come to this then shut it all down.

usa330300

Tue May 19, 2020 9:23 pm

rida79 wrote:
This is great news. I am not a crew member nor am I working in the aviation industry, but I do believe that these people need protection and therefore I am glad they'll be wearing PPE gear.

Not necessary.

airhansa

Tue May 19, 2020 9:28 pm

I'm not quite sure what the future for the Gulf carriers actually is, because there's going to be very little demand for intercontinental travel and furthermore anyone can travel through legacy carriers due to depressed demand and lower ticket prices.

Dominion301 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1104 ... habitants/

That isn't true according to deaths per capita. Qatar is far down the list whereas the Untied States is near the top (note that Brussels includes all possible cases included those that have not been tested, the opposite of the Canadian system where a case is only listed after two positive tests have been carried out).

SurlyBonds

Tue May 19, 2020 9:35 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

From where I stand, I'm a LOT more confident about using service providers -- whether that's an airline or my local grocery store -- that are treating the public health crisis seriously and are giving workers the personal protective equipment they deserve. Kudos to Qatar Airways.

smokeybandit

Tue May 19, 2020 9:41 pm

That's extreme overkill. I mean extreme.

PowerJet

Tue May 19, 2020 10:03 pm

I hear They're also doing that at AirAsia. Such a strange world we live in these days.

Cointrin330

Tue May 19, 2020 10:31 pm

This is all well and good until there are effective therapeutics or hopefully, a vaccine, but these suits don't do anything to protect passengers. What if a cabin crew wearing one, hands a drink to the gentleman in 21B. The person in 21C breathes on the sleeve of the cabin crew (through normal exhaling) as the drink is passed. Then the cabin crew serves 22C and potentially passes the virus to the next person. The person in 21C may be asymptomatic or has been exposed but not showing symptoms yet.

hiflyeras

Tue May 19, 2020 10:38 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
This is all well and good until there are effective therapeutics or hopefully, a vaccine, but these suits don't do anything to protect passengers. What if a cabin crew wearing one, hands a drink to the gentleman in 21B. The person in 21C breathes on the sleeve of the cabin crew (through normal exhaling) as the drink is passed. Then the cabin crew serves 22C and potentially passes the virus to the next person. The person in 21C may be asymptomatic or has been exposed but not showing symptoms yet.

You win the Nobel Prize for something...for clarity? Thank you.

debonair

Tue May 19, 2020 10:40 pm

PHILIPPINE AIRLINES having beautiful hazmat suits, designed by Edwin Tan. Way to go Qatar!

747megatop

Tue May 19, 2020 10:55 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:

:scratchchin: :scratchchin: how are they going to do their business in the restroom?

joeblow10

Tue May 19, 2020 11:27 pm

nws2002 wrote:
It is a bit excessive, but likely mostly to create comfort among crew and passengers. A mask/face covering and gloves would likely be just as effective.

Does nobody think this actually causes more discomfort among passengers? How does it make you feel to see FAs wearing this gear and you're back in coach, less than 3 feet from the guy in front of you, with nothing but a (likely) cloth mask...

I don't care, but your average traveler very well might

smflyer

Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 am

How is this supposed to protect the flight attendants? This is a respiratory virus, having on your skin does nothing. Try washing hands and not snorting your work clothes?

myki

Wed May 20, 2020 1:08 am

Suggest changing the title.

PPE and Hazmat suits are two different things. Clickbait?

Dominion301

Wed May 20, 2020 1:29 am

airhansa wrote:
I'm not quite sure what the future for the Gulf carriers actually is, because there's going to be very little demand for intercontinental travel and furthermore anyone can travel through legacy carriers due to depressed demand and lower ticket prices.

Dominion301 wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

http://www.statista.com/statistics/1104 ... habitants/

That isn't true according to deaths per capita. Qatar is far down the list whereas the Untied States is near the top (note that Brussels includes all possible cases included those that have not been tested, the opposite of the Canadian system where a case is only listed after two positive tests have been carried out).

I was referring to confirmed cases per 1M population. USA is currently about 4,750 while Qatar is over 12,000.

trex8

Wed May 20, 2020 2:44 am

LAXintl wrote:
Increasing number of foreign airlines crews do wear such.

Here are two Chinese airlines at LAX.

Air China if I recall correctly

Hainan

Shouldnt they have removed their PPE on leaving aircraft or are they more worried about catching it in LA?

usflyer msp

Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 am

joeblow10 wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Does nobody think this actually causes more discomfort among passengers? How does it make you feel to see FAs wearing this gear and you're back in coach, less than 3 feet from the guy in front of you, with nothing but a (likely) cloth mask...

I concur. If things are so bad that the crew needs a hazmat suit, the passengers need them too. There should be an attendant to sanitize the toilet after every use as well.

FlyingElvii
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 4:34 am

joeblow10 wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Yes....
Which was the point of my original sarcastic remark. Whoosh....

santi319

Wed May 20, 2020 4:37 am

I find it hilarious, but honestly of all airlines in the world to pull a stunt like this it wouldve been Qatar.

How about they start by giving their flight attendants descent health care and no discipline for calling sick...

You can’t make this up..

ua900

Wed May 20, 2020 5:14 am

Kilopond wrote:
Too bad they don't come up with something like the Braniff International "space bubbles" - that was a rain protection gear for stewardesses.

You're onto something. Maybe we can revive space themes and get served by "real" astronauts. :o That way flying can become cool again, my kids would love it and it would go well with the recent UA Star Wars amenity kits, they can even start serving astronaut ice cream since that's more sanitary than the sundae with one's favorite toppings. Beats being watched by ICU hospital staff / CSI types for the duration of one's stay in the flying hospital. :D

joeblow10 wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Many of us thought the same thing when seeing masks pop up a couple of months ago and now one can't even go to Costco without one.

Much like the masks being mandatory, perhaps the airlines could also issue a Tyvek suit along with the mask and once everyone has one everyone will sorta feel ok. I used one of those a couple of years ago for painting around the house, couldn't have been more than around $5. LH was able to issue pajamas and eyeshades on my last flight with them in February, it's a small step from there. Especially if it means the difference between people becoming confident to fly again vs. empty planes.

trex8 wrote:
Shouldn't they have removed their PPE on leaving aircraft or are they more worried about catching it in LA?

From the looks of it, they are getting ready to board. But yeah, that two day LA beach layover/cruising down the boulevard just wouldn't be the same with that garb. :raincloud:

enilria wrote:
The industry is screwed

My first thought as well. Maybe I'll run into them in two weeks when LH does LAX-MUC again. I'll be sure to wear a couple of leis with my face covering, the same for my daughters. It will go well with their pink camo masks. Maybe someone will come up with cheerful Tyvek suits next, just like they did with the masks.
2020: AMS | BRU | DEN | DFW | EWR | FRA | IAH | LAX | MCO | MUC | ORD | PTY | SFO | TXL

Tuan

Wed May 20, 2020 5:33 am

In a repatriation flight from Moscow, two VN cabin attendants got infected, even with full medical-grade PPE and limited service in-flight. I cannot imagine the risk to cabin crews if they do not have PPE.

B777LRF

Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 am

The message I'm getting is "This is not a safe environment, so we're dressing our staff up in full-body PPE. Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy the flight."
Signature. You just read one.

Jomar777

Wed May 20, 2020 9:11 am

Looks that they are going to a decontamination center like those films we watch. I am all for protection but could they at least not come up with a transparent one to ease off tension on passengers?
Also, this might protect the crew - which is good since they do many more rotations than the ordinary passenger - but might make it worse for the passenger itself since this suit has more surfaces where the virus can impregnate. This would potentially mean having to disinfect the suit very often (probably once or twice on a medium hall flight) to avoid increased risk of infection.
Also, the photos of those Chinese Crew crossing the Airport already on their suits is highly concerning since those will certainly be contaminated before even boarding the flight which defeats the whole system

F27500

Wed May 20, 2020 11:28 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:
nws2002 wrote:

Yes....
Which was the point of my original sarcastic remark. Whoosh....

LOL .. he said "Whoosh" .. that was funny!

F27500

Wed May 20, 2020 11:32 am

And how absolutely idiotic .. these crews putting on all that PPE long before hey get on the airplane. Its a dumb placebo-effect idea anyway, but for this to have any credibility at all, the PPE would be donned ON the plane .. and doffed (removed) before exiting. Wearing those silly suits on the bus to the airport, through the terminal , etc ... are you really accomplishing anything there other than collecting and transmitting the germs you picked up once you finally get on the plane ? Just silly. Its like these fools putting on their rubber gloves before leaving the house .. getting in their car .. wearing the same gloves through the supermarket .. then the drug store ,, then the liquor store .. then coming home with them still on. Estupido.

davidjohnson6

Wed May 20, 2020 11:55 am

F27500 - plenty of what happens in aviation is about theatre, and trying to give the impression to the gullible masses that their safety really is an airline's top priority (it's high on the list, but profitability comes higher)

Cabin crew on board in hazmat suits is just another piece of theatre but I think it's giving the wrong impression to pax

flyjay123

Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 pm

F27500 wrote:
And how absolutely idiotic .. these crews putting on all that PPE long before hey get on the airplane. Its a dumb placebo-effect idea anyway, but for this to have any credibility at all, the PPE would be donned ON the plane .. and doffed (removed) before exiting. Wearing those silly suits on the bus to the airport, through the terminal , etc ... are you really accomplishing anything there other than collecting and transmitting the germs you picked up once you finally get on the plane ? Just silly. Its like these fools putting on their rubber gloves before leaving the house .. getting in their car .. wearing the same gloves through the supermarket .. then the drug store ,, then the liquor store .. then coming home with them still on. Estupido.

Same outcome in both your scenarios above; Staff are protected not passengers! If passengers want protection they should wear their own full PPE. Incidentally - its the only way I would step onto an aircraft in the current climate.

Same concept with gloves; I don't give a dam where I spread it outside my home when wearing them, but those gloves come off at my door step before I enter and protect inside my home! .... My safely is paramount, and my responsibility, and your's is your's!

jumpseat67

Wed May 20, 2020 3:42 pm

After reading the above posts, I will say it again like I said yesterday. The Dog and Pony show continues...

macsog6

Wed May 20, 2020 5:03 pm

I, for one, would like to see some empirical evidence, not merely an opinion, as to likelihood of contracting Covid-19 whilst on a commercial aircraft. Putting the cabin crew in Hazmat suits gives me the impression that such an event has a high probability, but without data to support such impression, it becomes merely an opinion. We have enough opinions, where is the evidence?
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex

TangoandCash

Wed May 20, 2020 5:26 pm

macsog6 wrote:
I, for one, would like to see some empirical evidence, not merely an opinion, as to likelihood of contracting Covid-19 whilst on a commercial aircraft. Putting the cabin crew in Hazmat suits gives me the impression that such an event has a high probability, but without data to support such impression, it becomes merely an opinion. We have enough opinions, where is the evidence?

I would love to be proved wrong, but I strongly suspect there is none. Data that is, no idea about risk.

ER757

Wed May 20, 2020 5:47 pm

Good Lord - if QR really thinks this is the level they need to go to in order to protect their crew, then just ground the whole fleet. If they're dressing up their crew like that and letting the pax just get on with a mask, it says "we don't care nearly as much about you as our employees." Bad message being sent IMO

Etika

Wed May 20, 2020 6:02 pm

In all of those pictures the staff are wearing surgical masks. Those masks will not stop the virus. It makes all of the rest of the equipment utterly useless as the main route for infection (breath) is practically unprotected considering the times the staff are spending in the plane.

If this was truly about protecting the staff and not just a show, they would need FFP2 or FFP3 class masks. Of course, those are more expensive, practically impossible to obtain in numbers the airlines would need and probably too uncomfortable to use on a plane for long enough periods.

In any case, the staff in the pictures are practically no more protected against the virus than they would be in their regular uniforms.

GlobalAirways

Wed May 20, 2020 6:30 pm

My two ¢'s... 1) If passengers are high risk (or someone they love) then don't fly. The same goes for crew. 2) What they are wearing does not truly protect them. 3) High-end/premium airlines will suffer the most if they cannot provide a differentiated service from the LCC's. 4) How uncomfortable for them to wear for a 12 hour + flight. That's worst then the four hours my ER nurse friends are currently doing suited up.
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone

LH748

Wed May 20, 2020 6:49 pm

Qatar does what Qatar does best: play master and slave and force their remaining crews into some extreme working conditions without any benefit. Maybe al-Baker just finds it amusing to see the crews all wrapped up :duck:
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos