Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Francoflier

Re: Qatar Airways cabin crew to wear hazmat suits

Sun May 31, 2020 2:46 pm

What's so freaking complicated about wearing a mask, washing your hands and not touching your face? Covering your body from head to toe with PPE does little to protect you and sweet nothing to protect others without using it the proper way, which is pretty much impossible outside of a medical facility, much less in a freaking airplane.

These kind of extreme knee-jerk reactions are becoming ridiculous and a sign that humanity is doomed. Not from any virus, but by our own inability to think and react with reason and logic rather than raw emotions to any extraneous event.
We don't give a single crap about the possibility of a pandemic for decades despite all kinds of expert knowledge and advice, then proceed to run around like headless chickens in fear and panic when it happens.
FFS, just send in the asteroid and end this pitiful insanity already.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

9Patch

Sun May 31, 2020 5:24 pm

So is this actually happening or is it FAKE news?

gregn21

Sun May 31, 2020 11:03 pm

Lol

Sun May 31, 2020 11:20 pm

How are these suits disposed of when the crew arrive at their destination? Even though they are not full blown Hazmat suits, they'd still be classified as Biomedical Waste, wouldn't they?

Dieuwer

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:17 pm

QR clearly does not have its priorities in order.
Delivering 12 INFECTED PASSENGERS to Greece, but wearing Hazmat suits onboard??

Draken21fx

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:26 pm

I wonder what happened here...

So basically a flight arrived and 12 out of 91 were tested positive. All of them will quarantine in hotels on the expense of the Greek government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/covid-19-greece-quarantines-all-passengers-from-qatar-flight

A few hours later Greece decides to ban Qatar Airways for a couple of weeks.

https://simpleflying.com/qatar-airways-greece-ban/

It seems that they are only thermal screening in Doha which wouldnt have picked up the ~80% of asymptomatic patients.

Also, although it is a small sample, it is pretty scary to see that 13% of passengers on a flight were positive. Wonder if countries are rushing to open a bit too soon. Hope it doesn't bite in the back Med countries like Greece, Italy, Spain and France and we end up having a second wave mid summer.

I personally would not have expected such a high percentage.

airhansa

Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Draken21fx wrote:

So basically a flight arrived and 12 out of 91 were tested positive. All of them will quarantine in hotels on the expense of the Greek government.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/03/covid-19-greece-quarantines-all-passengers-from-qatar-flight

It seems that they are only thermal screening in Doha which wouldnt have picked up the ~80% of asymptomatic patients.

Also, although it is a small sample, it is pretty scary to see that 13% of passengers on a flight were positive. Wonder if countries are rushing to open a bit too soon. Hope it doesn't bite in the back Med countries like Greece, Italy, Spain and France and we end up having a second wave mid summer.

More importantly, two people flying from Australia tested positive of the Coronavirus, in a country that is deemed to be safe from spread. If the people are infected and still positive, it must be recently caught but after two days (so not during the flight).

Draken21fx

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:04 pm

airhansa wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:

More importantly, two people flying from Australia tested positive of the Coronavirus, in a country that is deemed to be safe from spread. If the people are infected and still positive, it must be recently caught but after two days (so not during the flight).

Yeah doesnt make much sense and also imagine on how many could have been infected during the flight of the two passengers from Australia.

Also it is a pretty scary thought what could happen if a couple of cases slip through the cracks on every flight. It doesnt need to be as high as 13%. Greece as an example hasnt been hit hard due to early lockdown but for sure Greece's health system cannot cope as well as other European countries' did. Even if you establish safe corridors there is no guarantee than someone wouldn't have flown connecting through some hub and this example is showing us that there is no proper testing at least in Doha.

And before we start blaming Qatar I wouldnt think that it is in the best financial interest of any of the big airlines which are based on a hub/transit model to have proper tests in place. As long as the passengers are not stopped somewhere while travelling they are someone else's problem and expense. Strange times we are living in.

chonetsao

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:09 pm

airhansa wrote:
Draken21fx wrote:

Yes that is scary. I hope the report would tell us where are all the 12 pax originated from. So far we only know 2 are from Australia.

It has been confirmed temperature check is not enough months ago. It is also suggested some of the tests are inaccurate due to false pasitives and false negatives. It also has something to do with test methods.

Some country persue the strategy of testing only people with symptoms and I am afraid that is not helping. There are too many asymptomatic around and could cause more future travel disruption.

So the hazmat suit won't help. Airlines like EK and QR needs to have a solution that is shared by global communities. Test, test and test. Travellers need to be tested before and after travel if we want to go back to normal slowly. Otherwise the incident like Athens will happen every day. Thus the choice is either all countries come to agreement to allow herd immunity which could or may take 3 generations to develop, or come up with agreement together to have test facilities for travellers before and after travel. The aviation future needs a global solution. I am afraid the hazmat is not enough.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos