Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

Etihad lands at TLV for the first time

Tue May 19, 2020 9:04 pm

An all white Etihad A330 chartered by UAE AID landed at TLV bringing supplies for Palestine. The Israeli and Emirati governments worked together to make this flight possible. This is the first time an Etihad aircraft has landed in Israel.

https://twitter.com/JackyHugi/status/12 ... 4638013448

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-isra ... SKBN22V2R8

rampbro

Re: Etihad lands at TLV for the first time

Tue May 19, 2020 10:42 pm

Sometimes humanity wins out, even in the most challenging conditions.

Side note: I would have been mercilessly upbraided by my lead for looking at my phone on a ramp. This was 10+ years ago though - has that changed, or is the gentleman in the photo in for a ride?

debonair

Tue May 19, 2020 11:03 pm

rampbro wrote:

True! But I am curious to know, if the ETIHAD titles were removed especially for this flight due to the conflict?

NozPerry

Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 pm

debonair wrote:
True! But I am curious to know, if the ETIHAD titles were removed especially for this flight due to the conflict?

From what I can see online it was painted White with Saudia decals when it was leased to them last year and was subsequently stored.
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

Noise

Tue May 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Israel and UAE ties are relatively strong, yet covert. I am not at all surprised and I am very happy to see this :)

smi0006

Tue May 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Brilliant to see a bit a little bit of humanity and coordination to ease suffering if only that’s what comes out of this mess,
rampbro wrote:
Sometimes humanity wins out,
even in the most challenging conditions.

Side note: I would have been mercilessly upbraided by my lead for looking at my phone on a ramp. This was 10+ years ago though - has that changed, or is the gentleman in the photo in for a ride?

Lots of Loading reports are now viewable on devices, along with electronic LIR readback, perhaps it’s simply his duty phone?

RogerMurdock

Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:04 pm

Now a 789 in regular livery en route https://www.flightradar24.com/ETD9607/24a94698

myki

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:19 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
Now a 789 in regular livery en route https://www.flightradar24.com/ETD9607/24a94698

I am assuming they are taking the 'back roads' because with the destination being TLV they can't get overfly rights of Saudia Arabia. Would that be right?

Also, good to see that this time happy to fly loud and proud in full EY livery. Hopefully there will be some pictures soon.

Hmmm, potential new destination? :stirthepot:

Varsity1

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:40 pm

myki wrote:
RogerMurdock wrote:

I am assuming they are taking the 'back roads' because with the destination being TLV they can't get overfly rights of Saudia Arabia. Would that be right?

Also, good to see that this time happy to fly loud and proud in full EY livery. Hopefully there will be some pictures soon.

Hmmm, potential new destination? :stirthepot:

KSA and Israel have existing non-public defense agreements. It's likely there will be more cooperation in the future given the shared concern for another nation in the region.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

davidjohnson6

Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:41 pm

Apparently more aid is being sent...
https://onemileatatime.com/etihad-airwa ... te-israel/
Not sure the planned recipients are that happy though...
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-israe ... KKBN23G1WS

planeguy

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:06 pm

We're certainly living in interesting times. There's no time like now to be a spotter.

jbs2886

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:08 pm

debonair wrote:
rampbro wrote:

That was literally my first thought, too.

VSMUT

Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:27 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
debonair wrote:
rampbro wrote:

That was literally my first thought, too.

I'm guessing it's white because it was permanently phased out from Etihad service recently. It's just convenient they still had it when this job came up.

asuflyer
Topic Author

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:10 am

aemoreira1981

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:26 am

The first one was painted white only because A6-EYP will soon be delivered to Altavair AirFinance, but they probably haven't found a lease customer. (EY is simplifying to 3 groups: A320 family, A380, and B777/B787.) Most of the A330 fleet is still parked at AUH...which has been used for lease returns before for leased planes; A6-EYP is owned until Altavair takes possession.

That one in regular EY livery was the next flight shows that sometimes necessity changes things. As for the KSA, I'm surprised they didn't allow overflight over their airspace...unless KSA airspace is closed for all overflight.

entdoc

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:13 am

Since each direction was maybe 4 hours did the same crew work it RT?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOGA10

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:23 am

smi0006 wrote:
Brilliant to see a bit a little bit of humanity and coordination to ease suffering if only that’s what comes out of this mess,
rampbro wrote:
Sometimes humanity wins out,
even in the most challenging conditions.

Lots of Loading reports are now viewable on devices, along with electronic LIR readback, perhaps it’s simply his duty phone?

Loading staff at TLV use a sort of smartphone with a 'walkie-talkie' function on it, where they send each other voice messages instead of direct talking. I'm sure they can use it for other stuff too!
And it's quite common to see ground staff on their personal phone during a turn around, especially when they are waiting for the luggage to arrive or something similar. Normally they would hide a bit more than this though ;-).
I wanna go back upstairs!

AshFlops

Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 pm

This is clearly a cover for Etihad to perform proving flights from AUH to TLV. I expect Etihad to start flying to TLV once the industry recovers with passenger flights. The TLV market connecting through AUH/DXB is too big to ignore. I was expecting Emirates or Gulf Air first, but Etihad sees this as a big business opportunity. The amount of TLV traffic to India, Singapore, Australia, NZ, is too much to pass up. This is long overdue.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Wouldn't there be a need for some sort of minimal *explicit* state recognition or diplomatic relations (not just the behind-closed-doors stuff that happens right now) between Israel and the UAE before regular non-stop passenger flights can happen ?
I'd be very happy if regular passenger flights between TLV and AUH (or DXB) really was to happen - and people in the 2 countries can communicate, meet and exchange ideas better with each other

Edit - that said, I found this - https://www.timesofisrael.com/uae-said- ... 2020-expo/
Last edited by davidjohnson6 on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RogerMurdock

Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:24 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Wouldn't there be a need for some sort of minimal *explicit* state recognition or diplomatic relations (not just the behind-closed-doors stuff that happens right now) between Israel and the UAE before regular non-stop passenger flights can happen ?

I imagine there would have to be some sort of consular services to allow each other to accept each other's passport holders as visitors. Though in tricky situations this is sometimes handled as an office in neutral third country's embassy.

AshFlops wrote:
This is clearly a cover for Etihad to perform proving flights from AUH to TLV.

The flights might also be a cover to send some secret military tech the other way. Would explain the lack of coordination with Palestinian authorities for the aid shipment.

Toinou

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:11 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
I'd be very happy if regular passenger flights between TLV and AUH (or DXB) really was to happen - and people in the 2 countries can communicate, meet and exchange ideas better with each other

Edit - that said, I found this - https://www.timesofisrael.com/uae-said- ... 2020-expo/

I guess that "some sort" of thing is needed but it can probably be handled in a creative way, like many countries already did with Taiwan.
Even if the question of Israel is frequently used as a rhetorical tool in Middle Eastern politics, it doesn't go much further in many countries. There is no real action on this topic. I tend to think that the first step in establishing some kind of relationship with Israel will be the hardest but once a country will have taken the risk, many other may follow, having the excuse of not being "the first one" to cross the Rubicon.
In fact, a little step already happened with AI flights, but it doesn't seem to be enough, it probably needs to be a direct, explicit, move from an Arab nation (and air transport may well be either the driving force or the pretext).

myki

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:23 pm

Toinou wrote:
In fact, a little step already happened with AI flights, but it doesn't seem to be enough, it probably needs to be a direct, explicit, move from an Arab nation (and air transport may well be either the driving force or the pretext).

There are already flights from Arab nations - Egypt (4D as a wet-lease under MS with TLV the only destination) and Jordan (RJ) ... and if flights open up to any of the other airlines in the region, I'd guess that RJ would be the ones with most to lose, and perhaps to a lessor extent TK. Which airline is going to get first (well, second)-move advantage? If not EY/EK, could it be WY? Oman seems to be the 'Switzerland' of the region being buddy-buddy with Qatar, so they may extend the olive branch from Muscat across to Tel Aviv.

Watch and see ...

Toinou

Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Jordan and Egypt are out of the move I described as they already have official (albeit limited) relationships with Israel. It would probably need to be a Gulf state to be of any effect.
Oman may be a good candidate and I guess they already have some kind of relationship with Israel (https://www.france24.com/en/20190701-is ... -spy-chief). But they've always had a special place in the Arab world, so it may not be enough.

VSMUT

Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:43 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:
AshFlops wrote:
This is clearly a cover for Etihad to perform proving flights from AUH to TLV.

The flights might also be a cover to send some secret military tech the other way. Would explain the lack of coordination with Palestinian authorities for the aid shipment.

Very likely. It was reported late last year that UAE had purchased Israeli UAVs, and in April that the UAE had purchased some sort of Israeli missile system that they were going to supply to some allies in Libya.

LH748

Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:49 pm

As long as Islamic fundamentalists have even a tiny bit of influence on the Gulf countries or rather the Islamic countries in the world as a whole we won't see any normalization.
Yes there's some undercover cooperation but officially all those countries want to see Israel being destroyed.
I'm surprised the Israelis allowed EY to land at TLV and that they even considered it instead of AMM
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

AshFlops

Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:29 pm

LH748 wrote:
As long as Islamic fundamentalists have even a tiny bit of influence on the Gulf countries or rather the Islamic countries in the world as a whole we won't see any normalization.
Yes there's some undercover cooperation but officially all those countries want to see Israel being destroyed.
I'm surprised the Israelis allowed EY to land at TLV and that they even considered it instead of AMM

Israel would jump at any opportunity to have Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air, or Gulf Air fly to TLV. Of course they allowed it, why on Earth wouldn't they? Israel has been pushing for normalization for decades.

myki

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:09 am

AshFlops wrote:
LH748 wrote:

Israel would jump at any opportunity to have Emirates, Etihad, Oman Air, or Gulf Air fly to TLV. Of course they allowed it, why on Earth wouldn't they? Israel has been pushing for normalization for decades.

It would have to be like-for-like ... Israel might be happy to have an EY plane land in TLV, would the United Arab Emirates be please to have an EL plane land in AUH? Hmmmm ...

AshFlops

Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:39 am

El Al wouldn't fly to DXB or AUH because there isn't any feed. AUH and DXB serve as hubs for ET and EK and could take an enormous amount of traffic from TLV to SIN/MNL/AUS-NZ via these hubs. The same way that El Al doesn't fly to IST, but TK flies multiple times a day from TLV-IST.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:27 am

Syria and Iran definitely won't grant flyover rights to Israeli airlinrs. It is extremely unlikely that Iraq would grant flyover to Israeli airlines. Saudi Arabia has granted flyover rights to Air India to when flying India-Israel, but not to El Al. Yes I know there is the odd private flight with rights that makes a technical stop in Jordan, but I'm talking about public nonstop commercial flights...

Until one of these 4 countries grants flyover rights to Israel airlines while Etihad has Iraqi flyover rights when going between Israel athe UAE, then Israeli airlines are at a significant disadvantage. I don't think you will see El Al in Abu Dhabi any time soon