Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
FlyingElvii
Topic Author
Posts: 773
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 4:32 am

Twitter showing pics of a completely darkened Sears Tower/Willis Tower against the Chicago skyline.
Anyone have an idea what is going on in United Ops? On a normal day, this would be airline mega-doom, but with things as they currently are?

https://twitter.com/MarParNews/status/1 ... 2480215040
 
United1
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Twitter showing pics of a completely darkened Sears Tower/Willis Tower against the Chicago skyline.
Anyone have an idea what is going on in United Ops? On a normal day, this would be airline mega-doom, but with things as they currently are?

https://twitter.com/MarParNews/status/1 ... 2480215040


UA has at least one backup site (actually two IIRC) for the NOC so probably not that big of a deal right now. There are lots of folks working from home so may not be that many UA people affected.

It went out on Monday around 4AM so if this is the first we are hearing about it this is a non event for UA ops.

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/d ... s/2274130/

EDIT: Here is story about the impact on UA because of the power outage at Willis. In short there wasn't any impact to flights and folks working from home as well as the old NOC in Elk Grove are handling operations.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/commerc ... e-flooding
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 5:25 am

this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 7748
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 10:54 am

strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 12:44 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


Prior to COVID-19 a brand new back up facility was being built in Arlington Heights Illinois, that facility is almost complete however right now all construction across the airline including Arlington Heights has been halted. The original plan was once the Arlington Heights facility came online Elk Grove facility would be torn down, however I'm not sure if UA was going to keep the Elk Grove village site and build a something new or sell the land after the buildings were demolished.

Also there is a back up facility in downtown Chicago just a few blocks away from Willis Tower. Prior to COVID-19 the downtown facility would have served as the immediate backup facility until employees could reach Elk Grove Village. The back up site in downtown can handle about 75% of UA's operation prior to COVID-19 so even if there would have been no crisis the airline still would have been up and running.

Also if it really became necessary and something happened to Willis Tower and our Elk Grove site UA could run the airline from Houston but that means the downtown backup site would have to carry the load for a longer period of time until the necessary employees arrive in Houston. So there are multiple contingency plans in place should anything happen to any of our sites.
 
Exeiowa
Posts: 327
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:49 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 1:06 pm

In these days of COVID-19 the idea that they need the Willis tower site would probably be the one questioned so that they could be in a place where they can have more room for employees and less on one site....
 
ILikeTrains
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 1:32 pm

jayunited wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


Prior to COVID-19 a brand new back up facility was being built in Arlington Heights Illinois, that facility is almost complete however right now all construction across the airline including Arlington Heights has been halted. The original plan was once the Arlington Heights facility came online Elk Grove facility would be torn down, however I'm not sure if UA was going to keep the Elk Grove village site and build a something new or sell the land after the buildings were demolished.

Also there is a back up facility in downtown Chicago just a few blocks away from Willis Tower. Prior to COVID-19 the downtown facility would have served as the immediate backup facility until employees could reach Elk Grove Village. The back up site in downtown can handle about 75% of UA's operation prior to COVID-19 so even if there would have been no crisis the airline still would have been up and running.

Also if it really became necessary and something happened to Willis Tower and our Elk Grove site UA could run the airline from Houston but that means the downtown backup site would have to carry the load for a longer period of time until the necessary employees arrive in Houston. So there are multiple contingency plans in place should anything happen to any of our sites.


Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 1:39 pm

ILikeTrains wrote:
Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.


I am a city dweller born and raised so I have no idea what part of Arlington Heights all I know is UA purchased the old Motorola campus in Arlington Heights. As long as I don't have to drive out there I don't care, I love my 10 minute commute to work. Well the 10 minute commute was before COVID-19.
 
ILikeTrains
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:18 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 1:55 pm

jayunited wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:
Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.


I am a city dweller born and raised so I have no idea what part of Arlington Heights all I know is UA purchased the old Motorola campus in Arlington Heights. As long as I don't have to drive out there I don't care, I love my 10 minute commute to work. Well the 10 minute commute was before COVID-19.


Yea thats on the north end of the town. That commute on the Kennedy would be absolutely awful for you.
 
CALMSP
Posts: 3186
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:18 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm

gone are the days of the Cold War bunker north of Houston as the backup, that place was insane!!
 
User avatar
macsog6
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 5:10 pm

UA seems to be a slow learner about basement flooding in Chicago. In April, 1992, whilst working on a bridge over the Chicago River, a wall was breached and several building's basements were flooded. This seems to indicate that no remedial action was in place to prevent flooding from disrupting operations, as it obviously did.
Sixty Plus Years of Flying! "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Saint Ex
 
ZBA2CGX
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:09 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 5:50 pm

jayunited wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:
Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.


I am a city dweller born and raised so I have no idea what part of Arlington Heights all I know is UA purchased the old Motorola campus in Arlington Heights. As long as I don't have to drive out there I don't care, I love my 10 minute commute to work. Well the 10 minute commute was before COVID-19.


That would probably be the 1455 Building that Nokia (formerly Motorola) occupied. It should have all the power, telecom requirements that United needs for operations.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1337076 ... 384!8i8192

Article to the daily Herald
https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... y-complete

Good luck with the commute from the city, hopefully you can get the train from downtown to Arlington Park. The commute is a killer otherwise.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 6:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove to move to rove facility.


all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?

what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!
 
ytib
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:22 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove to move to rove facility.


all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?

what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!


They looked at other options last year, and ended up extending the least at Willis.

https://www.willistower.com/media/news/ ... llis-tower
318, 319, 320, 321, 332, 333, 388, 707, 717, 722, 732, 733, 734, 73Q, 735, 73G, 738, 7M8, 739, 752, 753, 742, 74L, 744, 762, 763, 772, 77L, 77W, 789, 142, CN1, CR2, CR7, DC8, DH2, DH8, D8Q, D10, D95, EM2, ER3, ER4, E70, 100, J31, M11, M83, M88, M90, SF3
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 6:25 pm

ILikeTrains wrote:
jayunited wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


Prior to COVID-19 a brand new back up facility was being built in Arlington Heights Illinois, that facility is almost complete however right now all construction across the airline including Arlington Heights has been halted. The original plan was once the Arlington Heights facility came online Elk Grove facility would be torn down, however I'm not sure if UA was going to keep the Elk Grove village site and build a something new or sell the land after the buildings were demolished.

Also there is a back up facility in downtown Chicago just a few blocks away from Willis Tower. Prior to COVID-19 the downtown facility would have served as the immediate backup facility until employees could reach Elk Grove Village. The back up site in downtown can handle about 75% of UA's operation prior to COVID-19 so even if there would have been no crisis the airline still would have been up and running.

Also if it really became necessary and something happened to Willis Tower and our Elk Grove site UA could run the airline from Houston but that means the downtown backup site would have to carry the load for a longer period of time until the necessary employees arrive in Houston. So there are multiple contingency plans in place should anything happen to any of our sites.


Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.

1200 E. Algonquin Road !
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 6:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
ILikeTrains wrote:
jayunited wrote:

Prior to COVID-19 a brand new back up facility was being built in Arlington Heights Illinois, that facility is almost complete however right now all construction across the airline including Arlington Heights has been halted. The original plan was once the Arlington Heights facility came online Elk Grove facility would be torn down, however I'm not sure if UA was going to keep the Elk Grove village site and build a something new or sell the land after the buildings were demolished.

Also there is a back up facility in downtown Chicago just a few blocks away from Willis Tower. Prior to COVID-19 the downtown facility would have served as the immediate backup facility until employees could reach Elk Grove Village. The back up site in downtown can handle about 75% of UA's operation prior to COVID-19 so even if there would have been no crisis the airline still would have been up and running.

Also if it really became necessary and something happened to Willis Tower and our Elk Grove site UA could run the airline from Houston but that means the downtown backup site would have to carry the load for a longer period of time until the necessary employees arrive in Houston. So there are multiple contingency plans in place should anything happen to any of our sites.


Ooh what part of Arlington Heights? Im a native to that area.

1200 E. Algonquin Road !

the ops center is the 4 story building on the Back of the Main Building.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 7:23 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove to move to rove facility.


all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?

what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!

That campus sucked the big one. Garbage cafeteria food, bad access to transit. I was told when we moved that we were spending $40M just on routine maintenance there. Anytime it rained the ceilings would leak. Sure it is/was nice to have FA training on site, etc but the workspace itself is a POS.

BTW, isn't there still a backup NOC in GUM?
 
Confuscius
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:29 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 7:30 pm

The flood waters must have been quite high.
Ain't I a stinker?
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 8:05 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
That campus sucked the big one. Garbage cafeteria food, bad access to transit. I was told when we moved that we were spending $40M just on routine maintenance there. Anytime it rained the ceilings would leak. Sure it is/was nice to have FA training on site, etc but the workspace itself is a POS.

BTW, isn't there still a backup NOC in GUM?


Oh my lord I totally forgot about Guam and also isn't there is a small facility somewhere in London UK. Both the Guam and London facilities are holdovers from Continental. Having said that I'm not sure when the last time both the Guam and London facilities were last tested. All the Chicago facilities and even the Houston facility are regularly tested just in case they ever have to be stood up.
Last edited by jayunited on Wed May 20, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 8:15 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!


What you are saying about Elk Grove is absolutely correct and parking in downtown Chicago is expensive but personally I believe the NOC at Willis is a thousand times better than Elk Grove.

However the Elk Grove facility is extremely old those buildings were built when people didn't think twice about asbestos and lead paint. (On a serious note UA has invested a lot money in cleaning up the campus.) The reason why UA purchased the Arlington Heights campus was because the monthly maintenance cost at our Elk Grove campus was no longer feasible the only feasible option is to demolish the entire campus. Again I don't know if UA's intends to keep the land and rebuild something else or sell the land after they demolish the campus. Like it or not the Elk Grove Village campus is living on borrowed time and will be torn down whenever the Arlington Heights campus is done.
 
drdisque
Posts: 1269
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:57 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 8:34 pm

Jay must have worked in the North Building in Elk Grove, because it was much newer. The rest of the complex (South Building and Training Center) was indeed a dump and falling apart. It was costing UA as much to maintain the building as the rent at Willis cost. Especially when you considered that UA was paying way too much in rent at 77 W Wacker and the airline was able to get out of that lease to sublet it to ADM.
 
User avatar
hOMSaR
Moderator
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:47 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 pm

macsog6 wrote:
UA seems to be a slow learner about basement flooding in Chicago. In April, 1992, whilst working on a bridge over the Chicago River, a wall was breached and several building's basements were flooded. This seems to indicate that no remedial action was in place to prevent flooding from disrupting operations, as it obviously did.


Completely different scenarios. The 1992 flood was because they accidentally damaged the wall of a century-old freight tunnel system which was directly connected to the basements of many of the older buildings downtown, resulting in the river water draining directly into it.

This weekend’s flooding was due to a massive rainstorm that brought the Chicago River to its highest level in 60 years.

Not sure what UA is supposed to learn other than...nature happens sometimes.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.
 
Confuscius
Posts: 3710
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2001 12:29 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 12:17 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Twitter showing pics of a completely darkened Sears Tower/Willis Tower against the Chicago skyline.

The building's name is spelled Willis but pronounced as Sears. :scratchchin:
Ain't I a stinker?
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 12:23 am

Rdh3e wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?

what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!

That campus sucked the big one. Garbage cafeteria food, bad access to transit. I was told when we moved that we were spending $40M just on routine maintenance there. Anytime it rained the ceilings would leak. Sure it is/was nice to have FA training on site, etc but the workspace itself is a POS.

BTW, isn't there still a backup NOC in GUM?

I actually worked there and I didn't see any of that. When did you actually Work there and When have YOU been back to the building? I worked there Before the new computer canter was built in the West Parking lot. Were you even AT United?
 
aircountry
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 3:16 am

Jeff Smisek should stay in Houston as UA HQ and he picked Chicago and now look at willis tower screwed up. Too late and cant do anything to move back to Houston. Jeff is no longer work there and new CEO Oscar and Kirby still staying UA HQ in Chicago and no plan to move back to Houston.
They looked at other options last year, and ended up extending the least at Willis.

https://www.willistower.com/media/news/ ... llis-tower <-----its done and it mean cant move out of Chicago after 14 years.
 
n9801f
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:29 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 4:55 am

Confuscius wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:
Twitter showing pics of a completely darkened Sears Tower/Willis Tower against the Chicago skyline.

The building's name is spelled Willis but pronounced as Sears. :scratchchin:

Best quote of the day! Thanks for a great laugh! :lol:
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
what makes you think they had to spend anything? the Entire NOC is already there in Elk Grove. We never needed to Move TO the Willis were it not for a previous CEO not wanting to have to commute there everyday. We OWN that Campus and the Computer Center next door. And? We parked for Free!! It's on Algonguin Road and covers an entire city Block. There's nothing there we didn't have down town and it has it's OWN cafeteria. We never had to go out if we didn't want to. and it houses the flight attendant training center as well with class rooms and overnight facilities. As a matter of Fact? The Willis is the duplicate "showpiece"! We could get rid of THAT and not miss a beat!!

That campus sucked the big one. Garbage cafeteria food, bad access to transit. I was told when we moved that we were spending $40M just on routine maintenance there. Anytime it rained the ceilings would leak. Sure it is/was nice to have FA training on site, etc but the workspace itself is a POS.

BTW, isn't there still a backup NOC in GUM?

I actually worked there and I didn't see any of that. When did you actually Work there and When have YOU been back to the building? I worked there Before the new computer canter was built in the West Parking lot. Were you even AT United?

I worked there until my department was moved downtown to Willis. I'm sure people who live in the suburbs are nostalgic for that easy commute, but that was essentially the only good thing about it (and it was a massive negative for anyone that wanted to live in the city).
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 2:24 pm

aircountry wrote:
Jeff Smisek should stay in Houston as UA HQ and he picked Chicago and now look at willis tower screwed up. Too late and cant do anything to move back to Houston. Jeff is no longer work there and new CEO Oscar and Kirby still staying UA HQ in Chicago and no plan to move back to Houston.
They looked at other options last year, and ended up extending the least at Willis.

https://www.willistower.com/media/news/ ... llis-tower <-----its done and it mean cant move out of Chicago after 14 years.

Actually, Glen Tilton made it a condition of the merger that the airline be headquartered in Chicago.
 
UA444
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
aircountry wrote:
Jeff Smisek should stay in Houston as UA HQ and he picked Chicago and now look at willis tower screwed up. Too late and cant do anything to move back to Houston. Jeff is no longer work there and new CEO Oscar and Kirby still staying UA HQ in Chicago and no plan to move back to Houston.
They looked at other options last year, and ended up extending the least at Willis.

https://www.willistower.com/media/news/ ... llis-tower <-----its done and it mean cant move out of Chicago after 14 years.

Actually, Glen Tilton made it a condition of the merger that the airline be headquartered in Chicago.

The HQ was never going to be in Houston. UA was the acquiring carrier and had received tons of tax breaks and incentives to move the HQ to 77. W Wacker in 2006, and then got a screaming deal to move their network ops into the Sears Tower in 2009. There would’ve been huge penalties to pay if they broke that agreement by moving their HQ to HOU
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
I worked there until my department was moved downtown to Willis. I'm sure people who live in the suburbs are nostalgic for that easy commute, but that was essentially the only good thing about it (and it was a massive negative for anyone that wanted to live in the city).


Although I haven't met a single person who believes the Elk Grove Village campus is better than Willis Tower I know and work with a lot of coworkers who were willing to put up with Elk Grove Village because the commute from the suburbs to the city is absolute torture. Before I came to Willis Tower for years I commuted from the south side of Chicago to O'Hare my total daily mileage roundtrip was 70 miles. I went through several cars over the span of 18 years of commuting. Since there is alway traffic in Chicago a 20 minute commute becomes an hour or more, and if it snows it becomes 2.5 hours. I'll never forget the blizzard of 2011 that nearly shut down the entire city, it took me over 5 hours to get home (I was still living on the south side working at O'Hare) I literally sat in the car in front of my house for at least 30 minutes my nerves were so frayed I literally couldn't move. I understand the pain people in the suburbs experience daily driving into the city.

The moment UA announced they would be splitting the NOC back in late February all my coworkers who live in the northern and western suburbs were first to volunteer to go back to Elk Grove. Not because Elk Grove is this great place but simply because the commute on both I90 (Kennedy Expressway) and/or I290 (Eisenhower Expressway) sucks.

One thing I do not miss is the daily commute to O'Hare after 18 years of that daily grind I've had enough.
 
Rdh3e
Posts: 3621
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 5:25 pm

jayunited wrote:
. I understand the pain people in the suburbs experience daily driving into the city.

With the exception of night shift NOC no one should be driving to Willis.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 5:38 pm

well? Of all places to find out what's happened to the Willis Tower? I saw it on the Science channel last night. When they repaired the Bridge coming out of the union station? They drove new pilings. the utilities in that area are run underground in tunnels. the new Bridge pilings caused the tunnel to leak and flood taking out whatever power the tunnel is supplying. They did the bridge work in 2014-2015 to both bridges North and south of the Union Station entrance. which is also North and south of Willis Tower. does anybody know if the power to the Boeing Building is also out? I think the Wells Street Bridge is right next to the Building..
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Thu May 21, 2020 5:53 pm

jayunited wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
I worked there until my department was moved downtown to Willis. I'm sure people who live in the suburbs are nostalgic for that easy commute, but that was essentially the only good thing about it (and it was a massive negative for anyone that wanted to live in the city).


Although I haven't met a single person who believes the Elk Grove Village campus is better than Willis Tower I know and work with a lot of coworkers who were willing to put up with Elk Grove Village because the commute from the suburbs to the city is absolute torture. Before I came to Willis Tower for years I commuted from the south side of Chicago to O'Hare my total daily mileage roundtrip was 70 miles. I went through several cars over the span of 18 years of commuting. Since there is alway traffic in Chicago a 20 minute commute becomes an hour or more, and if it snows it becomes 2.5 hours. I'll never forget the blizzard of 2011 that nearly shut down the entire city, it took me over 5 hours to get home (I was still living on the south side working at O'Hare) I literally sat in the car in front of my house for at least 30 minutes my nerves were so frayed I literally couldn't move. I understand the pain people in the suburbs experience daily driving into the city.

The moment UA announced they would be splitting the NOC back in late February all my coworkers who live in the northern and western suburbs were first to volunteer to go back to Elk Grove. Not because Elk Grove is this great place but simply because the commute on both I90 (Kennedy Expressway) and/or I290 (Eisenhower Expressway) sucks.

One thing I do not miss is the daily commute to O'Hare after 18 years of thaand we needet daily grind I've had enough.

they SPLIT the NOC? REALLY?? Hell !! I lived 10 minutes away from Elk Grove and had it not been for driving to the Willis Tower? I'd STILL be working! The tower was nice, If you worked day shift. but working a 12 hour shift? No! 6A-6P on days and 6P-6A on midnights. It was grueling with the Drive to and From in Schaumburg.
TOMC is hard on an easy day. though not having to go to the Willis? Would have been a God send! Once the restaurants closed downtown? the place was dreadful!
Cars were broken into in the parking Garage. and we needed people to escort some of the women to their cars becase of the A$$holes that sometimes roamed the Area. I never went down there if I didn't have to. That's not even a place I wanted to visit if I didn't have to. While I loved my time at United? That's a place I could have done without!!
 
aircountry
Posts: 86
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:43 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Fri May 22, 2020 5:37 am

Rdh3e wrote:
aircountry wrote:
Jeff Smisek should stay in Houston as UA HQ and he picked Chicago and now look at willis tower screwed up. Too late and cant do anything to move back to Houston. Jeff is no longer work there and new CEO Oscar and Kirby still staying UA HQ in Chicago and no plan to move back to Houston.
They looked at other options last year, and ended up extending the least at Willis.

https://www.willistower.com/media/news/ ... llis-tower <-----its done and it mean cant move out of Chicago after 14 years.

Actually, Glen Tilton made it a condition of the merger that the airline be headquartered in Chicago.


I remembered Glen Tilton told Jeff to pick either Chicago or Houston and Jeff choosed Chicago is United Headquarter and former Houston mayor Annise Parker tried to convinced Jeff with incentive package to stay in Houston and Jeff ignored her. He didnt respect her thats how so many Houstonain got angry at Jeff and told him to get out. They know he is a money hungry and greedy and they called his name is Jeff $mi$ek. I'm glad Jeff is out of but not happy United still stay in Chicago and wont move back to Houston.
 
jayunited
Posts: 2765
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
they SPLIT the NOC? REALLY?? Hell !! I lived 10 minutes away from Elk Grove and had it not been for driving to the Willis Tower?


Yes United has been running a split operation for few months now. The concern was if a person infected with coronavirus walked into the Willis Tower the entire building would then need to be shut down for at least 24 hours for deep cleaning. I don't know if you remember back in late February there were several downtown skyscrapers shut down because an employee with Coronavirus show up to work. Splitting the NOC was UA's way to protect the airline operations center if a UA NOC employee showed up with coronavirus who knows how many employees would then be forced into a mandatory 14 day quarantine for possible exposure. So the split was to protect the airline just as it turns out coronavirus isn't what shut down Willis Tower flooding did. As far as I know to-date no NOC employee has tested positive for Coronavirus at either location.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 596
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Fri May 22, 2020 2:29 pm

Surprising UA dont build their own HQ building near ORD like DL/AA/WN
 
PHLCVGAMTK
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sat May 23, 2020 9:56 am

Rdh3e wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
We parked for Free!!

bad access to transit.


And there, in eight words, is a hard (mostly) generational divide over what makes a good workplace and commute. For a company like UA, normally what the senior (read: older) management figures want would dominate, but I'm sure that at the scale of the company, they encountered what many others have and will continue to encounter: it's much, much harder to recruit desirable talent in the drive-only suburbs, than it is a block and a half from the L.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 am

PHLCVGAMTK wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
We parked for Free!!

bad access to transit.


And there, in eight words, is a hard (mostly) generational divide over what makes a good workplace and commute. For a company like UA, normally what the senior (read: older) management figures want would dominate, but I'm sure that at the scale of the company, they encountered what many others have and will continue to encounter: it's much, much harder to recruit desirable talent in the drive-only suburbs, than it is a block and a half from the L.


0the Area near and around the Willis Tower was $1700-3300mo rents. Walking to and from? Damn near impossible. there were markets, Apartments and Stores all near the Elk Grove facility. I lived in Rolling Meadows and Schaumburg while I was based in Chicago. I don't think Downtown Chicago is any less expensive than where I was before they transferred Maintenance Control from SFOLM to WHQLM. There are guys driving in from Northern Indiana and Southern Wisconsin to work at the Willis just to have affordable housing. They're in no better shape there than I was at SFOLM with my 33 mile drive in while at SFOLM. And? I didn't have Snow!! My winter Dress I could wear all year along! 0
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 4:06 am

jayunited wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
I worked there until my department was moved downtown to Willis. I'm sure people who live in the suburbs are nostalgic for that easy commute, but that was essentially the only good thing about it (and it was a massive negative for anyone that wanted to live in the city).


Although I haven't met a single person who believes the Elk Grove Village campus is better than Willis Tower I know and work with a lot of coworkers who were willing to put up with Elk Grove Village because the commute from the suburbs to the city is absolute torture. Before I came to Willis Tower for years I commuted from the south side of Chicago to O'Hare my total daily mileage roundtrip was 70 miles. I went through several cars over the span of 18 years of commuting. Since there is alway traffic in Chicago a 20 minute commute becomes an hour or more, and if it snows it becomes 2.5 hours. I'll never forget the blizzard of 2011 that nearly shut down the entire city, it took me over 5 hours to get home (I was still living on the south side working at O'Hare) I literally sat in the car in front of my house for at least 30 minutes my nerves were so frayed I literally couldn't move. I understand the pain people in the suburbs experience daily driving into the city.

The moment UA announced they would be splitting the NOC back in late February all my coworkers who live in the northern and western suburbs were first to volunteer to go back to Elk Grove. Not because Elk Grove is this great place but simply because the commute on both I90 (Kennedy Expressway) and/or I290 (Eisenhower Expressway) sucks.

One thing I do not miss is the daily commute to O'Hare after 18 years of that daily grind I've had enough.

Well? Noplace is perfect. I know guys who would have killed their Mothers to get the Tech-ops crew down to IAH and they might have won too.
Had IAH Not been isolated by a lousy thunderstorm that flooded the Access roads for weeks at a time. But? Kinda late to cry over spilt milk. the BOD of United pretty much made it clear that United was the Name of the Company and Chicago was the Home of the airline, Unfortunately? They didn't commit to Elk Grove Village, although? The New Computer Center there is right next to the old WHQ. So I doubt either will be going anywhere anytime soon. And Chicago is loving it having both United, Boeing and more fortune 500 Companies moving downtown. I have to admit though. I did love lunchtime on day shift at the Willis. the Female scenery was fantastic!
 
strfyr51
Posts: 4899
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 7:20 am

jayunited wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


Prior to COVID-19 a brand new back up facility was being built in Arlington Heights Illinois, that facility is almost complete however right now all construction across the airline including Arlington Heights has been halted. The original plan was once the Arlington Heights facility came online Elk Grove facility would be torn down, however I'm not sure if UA was going to keep the Elk Grove village site and build a something new or sell the land after the buildings were demolished.

Also there is a back up facility in downtown Chicago just a few blocks away from Willis Tower. Prior to COVID-19 the downtown facility would have served as the immediate backup facility until employees could reach Elk Grove Village. The back up site in downtown can handle about 75% of UA's operation prior to COVID-19 so even if there would have been no crisis the airline still would have been up and running.

Also if it really became necessary and something happened to Willis Tower and our Elk Grove site UA could run the airline from Houston but that means the downtown backup site would have to carry the load for a longer period of time until the necessary employees arrive in Houston. So there are multiple contingency plans in place should anything happen to any of our sites.

IN the parking lot of the Old Elk Grove facility sits the Brand new computer Center United paid "Skillions" of Dollars to build. There are 3 other buildings on that facility
The flight attendant Training center and conference rooms, the Old headquarters building and the 4 story office building where the old OPS center is. No doubt the old corporate building could use some revamping as it hasn't been maintained in Years to any great extent and there was corrosion around all the floor to ceiling windows in the 2 story main building when I was there last so I would not doubt that place needs a revamp. Rumor had it that United owned another office building at or near Arlington Heights Ave not far from I-90 though I never saw the site. though I heard it was near the exit at Arlington Heights Exit, There were New Buildings all around there being built while I was there. south of I-90. the Bus from ORD ran right by there and right to here. from Schaumburg Transit station. I took ot a few times before I retired to visit my new home in California so I woul0000000000dn't have to park at ORD..
 
Arion640
Posts: 3058
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:15 pm

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 1:17 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
this is but another reason to NOT let go of the Elk Grove facility.


It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend in duplicate costs for 'safety'. Is any sane person arguing we should go back to 3-person crews to fly widebodies in case two pilots get sick?


Depends how much UA would lose in brand damage and cancelled flights.
 
DFW17L
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 6:13 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
Well? Noplace is perfect....


Oh, I don't know, maybe...

Image
 
United1
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Sun May 24, 2020 7:03 pm

DFW17L wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Well? Noplace is perfect....


Oh, I don't know, maybe...

Image


AAs new headquarters is very pretty and using sprawling to describe it does not do the term justice. However....think about the differences between Chicago and Dallas during the winter. Do you want a large spread out HQ you either walk or drive between or a vertical one linked by elevators? AAs HQ was also very expensive to build...office space downtown Chicago/Houston is actually fairly reasonable.

Both the Smith Street and Algonquin Road Offices were becoming rather dated and neither were large enough to accommodate the combined airline. The Willis (pronounced Sears...I absolutely love that) Tower allowed UA to consolidate the Wacker St HQ, Algonquin Road NOC/offices and some of the Smith Street operations together. UA also consolidated its remaining Houston operations into a new building on Main.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/new ... ntown.html
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
UA444
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Mon May 25, 2020 8:39 pm

United1 wrote:
DFW17L wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Well? Noplace is perfect....


Oh, I don't know, maybe...

Image


AAs new headquarters is very pretty and using sprawling to describe it does not do the term justice. However....think about the differences between Chicago and Dallas during the winter. Do you want a large spread out HQ you either walk or drive between or a vertical one linked by elevators? AAs HQ was also very expensive to build...office space downtown Chicago/Houston is actually fairly reasonable.

Both the Smith Street and Algonquin Road Offices were becoming rather dated and neither were large enough to accommodate the combined airline. The Willis (pronounced Sears...I absolutely love that) Tower allowed UA to consolidate the Wacker St HQ, Algonquin Road NOC/offices and some of the Smith Street operations together. UA also consolidated its remaining Houston operations into a new building on Main.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/new ... ntown.html

What a colossal waste of money to pacify Houston.
 
United1
Posts: 4153
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 9:21 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Mon May 25, 2020 9:02 pm

UA444 wrote:
United1 wrote:
DFW17L wrote:

Oh, I don't know, maybe...

Image


AAs new headquarters is very pretty and using sprawling to describe it does not do the term justice. However....think about the differences between Chicago and Dallas during the winter. Do you want a large spread out HQ you either walk or drive between or a vertical one linked by elevators? AAs HQ was also very expensive to build...office space downtown Chicago/Houston is actually fairly reasonable.

Both the Smith Street and Algonquin Road Offices were becoming rather dated and neither were large enough to accommodate the combined airline. The Willis (pronounced Sears...I absolutely love that) Tower allowed UA to consolidate the Wacker St HQ, Algonquin Road NOC/offices and some of the Smith Street operations together. UA also consolidated its remaining Houston operations into a new building on Main.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/new ... ntown.html

What a colossal waste of money to pacify Houston.


Huh? I'm sure it was far cheaper to rent space in a new office tower, kit it out properly and was far less disruptive than trying to remodel Smith St. It was also far less disruptive to UA employees lives then forcing them to move to Chicago or making them find new jobs.

UA has 1000's of employees in Houston and always will...why not give them a nice place to work? Everything does not have to be centralized in Chicago...pmUA even followed that model with DENTK and the SFO jet base.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!
 
UA444
Posts: 2992
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: Chicago River Flooding Causes Willis Tower (United Airlines HQ) to lose power.

Mon May 25, 2020 9:50 pm

United1 wrote:
UA444 wrote:
United1 wrote:

AAs new headquarters is very pretty and using sprawling to describe it does not do the term justice. However....think about the differences between Chicago and Dallas during the winter. Do you want a large spread out HQ you either walk or drive between or a vertical one linked by elevators? AAs HQ was also very expensive to build...office space downtown Chicago/Houston is actually fairly reasonable.

Both the Smith Street and Algonquin Road Offices were becoming rather dated and neither were large enough to accommodate the combined airline. The Willis (pronounced Sears...I absolutely love that) Tower allowed UA to consolidate the Wacker St HQ, Algonquin Road NOC/offices and some of the Smith Street operations together. UA also consolidated its remaining Houston operations into a new building on Main.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/new ... ntown.html

What a colossal waste of money to pacify Houston.


Huh? I'm sure it was far cheaper to rent space in a new office tower, kit it out properly and was far less disruptive than trying to remodel Smith St. It was also far less disruptive to UA employees lives then forcing them to move to Chicago or making them find new jobs.

UA has 1000's of employees in Houston and always will...why not give them a nice place to work? Everything does not have to be centralized in Chicago...pmUA even followed that model with DENTK and the SFO jet base.

I’d just personally like to see them spend that money to bring back some more of the overseas (mainly HKG) maintenance Stateside or some of the mainline employees at some of the out stations. Or a museum. Probably not going to happen

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos