Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SCQ83
Topic Author

Volotea announces 15 new routes for Summer 2020

Wed May 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Among the current air apocalypse, some positive news. Volotea is launching 15 new routes starting in July 2020. All but two involve the Balearic Islands. No press release yet but those routes are already bookable.

- Alicante to IBZ, MAH and PMI
- Bilbao to CDT and VLC
- Granada to IBZ and MAH
- Málaga to MAH
- Santiago de Compostela to IBZ and MAH
- Seville to MAH
- Valencia to MAH and PMI
- Zaragoza to IBZ and MAH

https://www.europapress.es/turismo/tran ... 70636.html

Volotea anuncia una nueva ruta aérea de Sevilla a Menorca a partir del día 3 de julio y desde 9 euros

mxaxai

Re: Volotea announces 15 new routes for Summer 2020

Wed May 20, 2020 5:23 pm

Aren't flights to the Balearic Islands subsidised by the Spanish government?

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 5:37 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Aren't flights to the Balearic Islands subsidised by the Spanish government?

The Spanish government pays 75% of the flight for residents in the Balearic & Canary Islands from their region to the rest of Spain. So in a 60 euro ticket Alicante-Mallorca, a resident of Mallorca pays 15 EUR and a resident of Alicante pays 60 EUR.

Those routes involve mostly Ibiza and Menorca which have a very small population (about 80% of population in the Balearic Islands live in Mallorca). But those routes are a product of COVID. This summer Menorca and Ibiza are going to be a ghost town so they are trying to lure some Spanish domestic tourism. With the added bonus that Ibiza and Menorca are on a regular year very expensive for many Spanish tourists, but this year they could be enjoyed with a heavy discount.

argentinevol98

Wed May 20, 2020 7:22 pm

The routes make sense to me. I could see Spaniards heading over to the Baleares this summer if things are cheaper on the islands, which, due to likely low demand from the (normally) wealthier German and British tourists could well be the case.

On a separate note I would have really liked an ALC-IBZ flight on Volotea back when I lived in Murcia. I'm fairly certain I would have taken advantage of it at some point if the fares were well-priced.
"He sospechado alguna vez que la única cosa sin misterio es la felicidad, porque se justifica por sí sola"-Jorge Luis Borges

continental004

Wed May 20, 2020 7:52 pm

Makes sense. As tourists from the UK, Germany and the rest of Europe are discouraged from heading to Spain this summer, Volotea is taking advantage of the similarly captive Spanish domestic market.

eastafspot

Wed May 20, 2020 9:44 pm

SCQ83 wrote:
All but two involve the Balearic Islands.

One of them is a French domestic, Montpellier (MPL) to Figari (FSC) - its 3rd destination in Corsica.

https://www.midilibre.fr/2020/05/20/mon ... 896296.php

I guess this service might happen on Friday or Saturday. Once or twice a week...
Fly with Air Burundi, Air Tanzania, Golden Wings Aviation, Kenya Airways, RwandAir and Uganda Airlines...Jumuiya ya Afrika mashariki !

airlittoralguy

Wed May 20, 2020 9:51 pm

Volotea is also adding Caen CFR to Nice NCE , twice a week from July to October. This is Volotea 7th destination served from Caen
Normandie : La r�©unification, maintenant ! http://www.mouvement-normand.com/

oldJoe

Wed May 20, 2020 10:07 pm

continental004 wrote:
Makes sense. As tourists from the UK, Germany and the rest of Europe are discouraged from heading to Spain this summer, Volotea is taking advantage of the similarly captive Spanish domestic market.

I hope the spanish people will take the chance to visit their islands !

CWL757

Wed May 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I've heard they're due to open bases in TFS and LPA next year with ACE potentially following in 2022. Don't know how accurate it is but good luck to them! With the loss of MON, GMI, TCX etc along with Ryanair's regular tantrums, I believe there is certainly a gap that needs filling in the market, particularly to the UK as at the moment BY & LS have too much of a monopoly imo.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 10:17 pm

airlittoralguy wrote:
Volotea is also adding Caen CFR to Nice NCE , twice a week from July to October. This is Volotea 7th destination served from Caen

You are right. It looks indeed like they are applying the same "domestic boost" to islands/southern coast in France and Italy. Some new loaded routes are:

France:

- Beauvais to BIA
- Brest to NCE
- Caen to NCE
- Lille to BIQ and PGF
- Lyon to AJA, BIA and FSC
- Montpellier to FSC
- Rennes to AJA, BIA, BIQ and FSC
- Strasbourg to BIQ

Italy:

- Pescara to OLB
- Trieste to OLB, PMO and SUF
- Turin to AHO, CTA and SUF

debonair

Wed May 20, 2020 10:23 pm

Competition is most urgently needed, after IAG decision to take over AirEuropa! Hope VOLOTEA will stand ground in the domestic market!

SCQ83
Topic Author

Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 pm

CWL757 wrote:
I've heard they're due to open bases in TFS and LPA next year with ACE potentially following in 2022. Don't know how accurate it is but good luck to them! With the loss of MON, GMI, TCX etc along with Ryanair's regular tantrums, I believe there is certainly a gap that needs filling in the market, particularly to the UK as at the moment BY & LS have too much of a monopoly imo.

I feel Volotea will do well in the post-COVID world and they will grow to become a more relevant regional player. Like in every crisis there will be losers (bankrupcties) but also it will be the chance to some airlines to grow. I bet the biggest winner in Europe will be Wizz Air; it could be their opportunity to blossom in Western Europe.

lesfalls

Wed May 20, 2020 11:47 pm

How come BIO to CDT and VLC? They are both in the same vicinity and serving the same region. Strange strategy as they also fly to MRS from CDT while flying to over 6 destinations from VLC. Wonder if it has to do with slot times or threatning AENA to lower prices at VLC otherwise they will move to CDT (which is one of the few privately owned airports in Spain, owned by a Canadian company).
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

onwFan

Thu May 21, 2020 4:59 am

Is this related to the slots/routes that IB/UX were in discussions to transfer to Volotea in preparation for the merger? There were some articles that suggested Volotea opening four new bases in Spain.

usdcaguy

Thu May 21, 2020 5:31 am

Would like to see Volotea attempt service from Clermont-Ferrand, which is also close to Vichy. CFE lacks direct service to southern France, and train connections are no longer as plentiful they used to be. It can take over seven hours and two connections to travel from Clermont-Ferrand to Nice Ville by train, a distance of only 247nm.

SCQ83
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 6:20 am

lesfalls wrote:
How come BIO to CDT and VLC? They are both in the same vicinity and serving the same region. Strange strategy as they also fly to MRS from CDT while flying to over 6 destinations from VLC. Wonder if it has to do with slot times or threatning AENA to lower prices at VLC otherwise they will move to CDT (which is one of the few privately owned airports in Spain, owned by a Canadian company).

It seems CDT-BIO is subsidised and it substitutes the planned CDT-MRS which will not operate this summer.

As for VLC-BIO those are two of the largest cities in Spain. The route is currently flown also by Air Nostrum and Vueling.

onwFan wrote:
Is this related to the slots/routes that IB/UX were in discussions to transfer to Volotea in preparation for the merger?.

No. It is also not clear that this merger will happen anyway.

EL-AL

Thu May 21, 2020 6:42 am

Volotea didn't refund my cancelled flight in March, nice to know they have enough money for expansion but not enough to pay back customers few dozens Euros for cancelled flights.
every day is a good day to fly

A380MSN004

Thu May 21, 2020 8:03 am

It's interesting to notice that Volotea didnt make any statement during the lockdown over Spain/Italy/France, the 3 biggest markets of Volotea.

Is their employment model is such flexible ? (A la Ryanair)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos