Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

UA to partner with the Cleveland Clinic and Clorox

Thu May 21, 2020 9:14 am

Unable to link but just saw this:

United is partnering with these companies in
what looks like one of the most forward thinking and innovative programs to ensure the cleanest, most sanitary passenger cabins and most importantly safest travel experience possible

Excellent idea, both of these companies have sterling reputations in the field of health and sanitation, this is exactly the kind of approach needed to reassure the public and encourage them to start traveling again
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Leej

Re: UA to partner with the Cleveland Clinic and Clorox

Thu May 21, 2020 10:18 am

All wonderful - until the filthy sneezing germ-ridden non-handwashing public turn up!

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 11:26 am

Leej wrote:
All wonderful - until the filthy sneezing germ-ridden non-handwashing public turn up!

Well

That’s what it’s for..
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

MIflyer12

Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm

One can have some fun with their branding...

United CleanPlus, is that like state park pit toilet clean plus?

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/ne ... l?page=all

elbandgeek

Thu May 21, 2020 1:14 pm

Normally I would make a "what stage of capitalism is this" joke about getting a corporate sponsor for basic cleaning practices but if I were a company hemorrhaging cash I'd sell ad space on my forehead if I had to.

dtw2hyd

Thu May 21, 2020 1:17 pm

Clorox is ok, but hospitals don't have good track record in keeping places sanitary.

Didn't Boeing develop a self-cleaning toilet?
All posts are just opinions.

alasizon

Thu May 21, 2020 1:22 pm

The procedures don't sound any different than what AA is doing. So the question becomes, what benefit is there for UA to go down this route? It is likely more costly since they are paying for dedicated Clorox supplies and I don't think passengers are going to perceive a value difference in a plane cleaned by Clorox versus a plane cleaned by industrial or medical grade disinfectant. In fact, a lot of passengers might find the generic disinfectant as a higher grade since they associate Clorox with household goods and aren't aware of Clorox's industrial grade arm.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

codc10

Thu May 21, 2020 1:29 pm

alasizon wrote:
The procedures don't sound any different than what AA is doing. So the question becomes, what benefit is there for UA to go down this route? It is likely more costly since they are paying for dedicated Clorox supplies and I don't think passengers are going to perceive a value difference in a plane cleaned by Clorox versus a plane cleaned by industrial or medical grade disinfectant. In fact, a lot of passengers might find the generic disinfectant as a higher grade since they associate Clorox with household goods and aren't aware of Clorox's industrial grade arm.

It's a co-brand marketing agreement. United probably gets a significant volume discount on Clorox supplies in exchange for discounted advertising space and product placement in airports, on board, etc.

YYZYYT

Thu May 21, 2020 1:41 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
One can have some fun with their branding...

United CleanPlus, is that like state park pit toilet clean plus?

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizwomen/ne ... l?page=all

I can see it now - choosing from Economy Clean, Clean Plus or Business First Clean cabins...

catiii

Thu May 21, 2020 1:42 pm

alasizon wrote:
The procedures don't sound any different than what AA is doing. So the question becomes, what benefit is there for UA to go down this route? It is likely more costly since they are paying for dedicated Clorox supplies and I don't think passengers are going to perceive a value difference in a plane cleaned by Clorox versus a plane by industrial or medical grade disinfectant. In fact, a lot of passengers might find the generic disinfectant as a higher grade since they associate Clorox with household goods and aren't aware of Clorox's industrial grade arm.

They don't sound any different than what ANYONE is doing. Delta Clean, JetBlue's Safety from the Ground Up, etc are all basically the same. It's just UA's turn to get a branded program out there.

Good cobrand though.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu May 21, 2020 1:45 pm

It would probably be better if they just went about this as an industry. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Its naive to think we are going to have airline trying to brag about who is cleaner than other.
Its also naive to think that corporate travel buyers are going to think, "well we are only going to let our employees fly XYZ because of their perceived cleaning protocol"

Even more so with the evolving research that is alledgedly showing the virus isn't easily transmitted from surfaces...FWIW.

fun2fly

Thu May 21, 2020 2:27 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
It would probably be better if they just went about this as an industry. A rising tide lifts all boats.

Its naive to think we are going to have airline trying to brag about who is cleaner than other.
Its also naive to think that corporate travel buyers are going to think, "well we are only going to let our employees fly XYZ because of their perceived cleaning protocol"

Even more so with the evolving research that is alledgedly showing the virus isn't easily transmitted from surfaces...FWIW.

It's marketing 101. Family in Omaha reads this, then plans their trip to Florida. "I remember UA has this super clean plane program with Clorox, let's fly them."

UA is trying to calm the fears of the flying public so they can get some additional passengers and this is one of the ways they have employed to do so. It's a good scheme and may move some people off the couch onto UA.

Now, if Clorox and CCF could join forces to clean all other aspects of the travel experience like the airports, terminals and bathrooms...

catiii

Thu May 21, 2020 2:28 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

They tried to create an industry standard through A4A. One carrier in Atlanta didn't want to participate.

CaptainObvious1

Thu May 21, 2020 3:15 pm

fun2fly wrote:
It's marketing 101. Family in Omaha reads this, then plans their trip to Florida. "I remember UA has this super clean plane program with Clorox, let's fly them."

UA is trying to calm the fears of the flying public so they can get some additional passengers and this is one of the ways they have employed to do so. It's a good scheme and may move some people off the couch onto UA.

Any marketing can be spun...

I can't find any Clorox products at the store, oh yeah United uses them all. If less people fly United then maybe I can get Clorox wipes for my home. Yes very far fetched, but the public can and will change any marketing message to be what they want to hear.

With that said it is a good marketing move with a benefit to all and hopefully will help wipe away the fears of germs while flying.

ordbosewr

Thu May 21, 2020 3:29 pm

CaptainObvious1 wrote:
fun2fly wrote:

I can't find any Clorox products at the store, oh yeah United uses them all. If less people fly United then maybe I can get Clorox wipes for my home. Yes very far fetched, but the public can and will change any marketing message to be what they want to hear.

With that said it is a good marketing move with a benefit to all and hopefully will help wipe away the fears of germs while flying.

Was just at the grocer store here and they had all clorox products except wipes.
There was an article on how Clorox has increase production of wipes and will have like X times capacity by the summer, but even then they may not meet the 'new' demand levels. It is not a simple process to produce sanitizer wipes, evidently. (need to see the how it's made segment.

Last I will say is that the updated CDC guidelines from yesterday make this all seem questionable, but in reality it is only for one reason, to make customers feel comfortable so they will buy tickets to fly. (and of course make sure employees feel safer working)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/hea ... 232748002/

DL747400

Thu May 21, 2020 3:47 pm

catiii wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

They tried to create an industry standard through A4A. One carrier in Atlanta didn't want to participate.

Mind if I ask what is your source for this statement?
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

TVNWZ

Thu May 21, 2020 3:58 pm

Im waiting for the Clorox cocktail. Clorox and OJ... :yuck:

United1

Thu May 21, 2020 4:11 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Im waiting for the Clorox cocktail. Clorox and OJ... :yuck:

You first...:)

Much like all of the airlines, and for that matter virtually every employer in the world, UA is trying to make its customers and employees feel safer. Much like DL advertised that customers would be given a Purell wipe with their pre packaged snacks UA is doing the same thing but with a Clorox wipe.

If it helps prevent infections and ensures UA has a stable supply line for disinfectants seems like it's worth it to me. I'm also sure it's low cost to UA (either through discounted travel or ads onboad) so win win.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

jayunited

Thu May 21, 2020 4:50 pm

CaptainObvious1 wrote:

Clorox not only provides household cleaning supplies they also supply cleaning products to many corporations and office buildings. Many of those office buildings are not empty so Clorox probably has a lot of commercial cleaning supplies in stock that they aren't selling. We saw the same thing with toilet paper, couldn't find it in the store but there were plenty of commercial rolls sitting in warehouses across the U.S. with no were to go because office building were closed. With more people being at home and working from home, household cleaning supplies are in demand but it takes time for companies to produce the kind of capacity needed. Clorox in a recent interview stated household supplies would be in short supply until at least June or even July.

United partnering with Clorox is a marketing spin to let passengers know we are doing everything we can to provide clean aircraft which also includes electrostatic sprayers. Whether or not people use Clorox in there house or not most people know Clorox means clean. That is what UA is trying to emphasize here and really all airlines are in their own way are trying to reassure customers that aircraft are being cleaned before each flight.

MKIAZ

Thu May 21, 2020 4:54 pm

It's all marketing. They can run fancy ads and say how much they're doing to clean the aircraft and get people to think it's ok to fly again. The aircraft is the least of my worries. It's the hundreds of people on it that are the problem! From what the experts are saying COVID transmission in the vast majority of cases is from person to person, surface to person transmission is very very rare.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Thu May 21, 2020 5:49 pm

The bathrooms and train in DEN are bigger risk places than on a UA 737.

catiii

Thu May 21, 2020 6:04 pm

DL747400 wrote:
catiii wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Mind if I ask what is your source for this statement?

An A4A meeting I was in when the conversation was had.

alasizon

Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 pm

jayunited wrote:

Clorox not only provides household cleaning supplies they also supply cleaning products to many corporations and office buildings. Many of those office buildings are not empty so Clorox probably has a lot of commercial cleaning supplies in stock that they aren't selling. We saw the same thing with toilet paper, couldn't find it in the store but there were plenty of commercial rolls sitting in warehouses across the U.S. with no were to go because office building were closed. With more people being at home and working from home, household cleaning supplies are in demand but it takes time for companies to produce the kind of capacity needed. Clorox in a recent interview stated household supplies would be in short supply until at least June or even July.

The majority of Clorox (and Lysol's) commercial products (that were applicable) were snapped up by early-April. Even just sourcing existing commercial supplies became a pain. Clorox makes a handful of products that two different cleaning vendors of ours used for restroom and facility cleaning and they were unable to provide what they needed. Even green works supplies were out of stock.

We've run out of soap and hand sanitizer more times than I can count because we just can't get the supplies.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

strfyr51

Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm

Leej wrote:

This might be a great place to start, that they be sanitized for the while they're flying. Nobody will ever agree with everybody, Especially ME, But?
Since you gotta start somewhere? why not here? I use Chlorox wipes at home, and other than my hands being dry as a desert? I'm doing fine. Good Move!

kjeld0d

Thu May 21, 2020 8:12 pm

MKIAZ wrote:
It's all marketing. They can run fancy ads and say how much they're doing to clean the aircraft and get people to think it's ok to fly again. The aircraft is the least of my worries. It's the hundreds of people on it that are the problem! From what the experts are saying COVID transmission in the vast majority of cases is from person to person, surface to person transmission is very very rare.

In the past they would simply say "we're cleaning our cabins with a bleach solution". Idle marketing department justifies their existence by announcing "partnership with clorox and the cleveland clinic".

I'm picturing a team of professors inspecting and debating the cleanliness of every toilet and table tray.

By the way, I partner with Shell and Toyota as errand-running providers. I also partner with Costco as a trusted nutritional provider.