Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

c933103
Topic Author

Chinese aviation market international capacity restriction

Thu May 21, 2020 2:15 pm

According to report [1], some airlines like Delta, United and Asiana are planning to restore capacity and oncrease frequency on flights to China. However, the report said the Chinese aviation body CAAC just issued a new notice which claim the "Five One policy", which mean each airlines (both domestic and international carriers) can only operate 1 routes to any countries with the frequency of 1 flight per week, will continues, and another analysis think wording in the report[2] indicates the restriction will last until at least October.
However, these reports mentioned that as demand continues to recover, some foreign airlines have already sold much more tickets than the capacity/frequency they're allowed to operates, causing CAAC to restate in their notice that they banned airlines from selling tickets before their operation plan are approved by them.
----
Is there any way for airlines to serve the demand, which is apparently make up of mostly people who try to return to China, in the current situation when supply have been capped at a much lower level than the demand is at?

1. https://wap.eastmoney.com/news/info/det ... 1491865248 (Chinese)
2. https://finance.sina.cn/2020-05-19/deta ... 223.d.html (Chinese)
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Meow Meow Meow! Meow Meow Meow Meow!

LAXintl

Re: Chinese aviation market international capacity restriction

Thu May 21, 2020 2:35 pm

The restriction of 1 weekly frequency was issued in mid-March as an epidemic control measure and has been in place since the commencement of IATA S20 schedule period - March 29th.

The regulation has restricted Chinese airline foreign operations as well, so its not just foreign airlines that have limited frequencies.

I understand its likely this will be lifted in the coming month as indeed there is significant demand for seats that cannot be met and Chinese carriers themselves are very anxious to return to markets that had to be dropped as result.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

c933103
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 3:55 pm

LAXintl wrote:
The restriction of 1 weekly frequency was issued in mid-March as an epidemic control measure and has been in place since the commencement of IATA S20 schedule period - March 29th.

The regulation has restricted Chinese airline foreign operations as well, so its not just foreign airlines that have limited frequencies.

I understand its likely this will be lifted in the coming month as indeed there is significant demand for seats that cannot be met and Chinese carriers themselves are very anxious to return to markets that had to be dropped as result.

According to my understanding, the demand will not be lifted anytime soon, as China doesn't want to declare its border as closed to any particular country nor do they want to suspend air travel to any individual countries yet they don't want any significant amount of potential patient that carries the virus from Wuhan flown back to China while wanting to maintain an image that their international air travel market is still open
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

LAXintl

Thu May 21, 2020 5:26 pm

Per Air China U.S. management they expect restrictions to be lifted in June to allow for much needed additional frequencies.

c933103
Topic Author

Thu May 21, 2020 5:45 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Per Air China U.S. management they expect restrictions to be lifted in June to allow for much needed additional frequencies.

The notice say carriers need to continually follow the requirement and apply their schedule ahead of time accordingly, with the June and July plan to be submitted within May, August plan to be submitted in June, September plan to be submitted in July, and so on for months thereafter. Some of those Chinese media thus concluded that it mean at least until September and thenafter carriers will still need to follow the Five One policy.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

Aither

Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 pm

Considering the Chinese airlines were making big losses on international routes, not flying these routes could help a bit the bottom line.
Never trust the obvious

nname

Thu May 21, 2020 11:11 pm

Aither wrote:
Considering the Chinese airlines were making big losses on international routes, not flying these routes could help a bit the bottom line.

Check their ticket price right now. The supply are so limited that people are willing to pay anything to get back. I can't imagine they're loosing money on international routes right now.

YVR-CAN and XMN had been going for about $9000CAD one-way economy and are still selling out. YVR-CTU is much cheaper at $4500CAD but the next availability is in August.

Now AC just updated their schedule and join in to run 1x weekly YVR-PVG starting June. Seems like the flights are already mostly sold out both directions for the month since opened for reservation a few hours ago.

c933103
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 am

"U.S. accuses China of blocking American flights and demands action": https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/23/us- ... ction.html
It have apparently become a new flash point between the United States government and Chinese government.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

workhorse

Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 am

What are the requirements regarding the seating in China? Do Chinese airlines apply the "no middle seats" policy??

c933103
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 2:46 pm

workhorse wrote:
What are the requirements regarding the seating in China? Do Chinese airlines apply the "no middle seats" policy??

According to my understanding, China have limited international flight load factor to 75% and requested airlines to have a few empty rows on the back, so that passengers with special situation on the flight can be isolated there, but no other particular restrictions on seat assignment
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

janders

Sun May 24, 2020 2:49 pm

Per DOT filing OST-2020-0052

During a call on May 14, 2020, the Department addressed with the CAAC the inability of U.S. carriers to resume scheduled passenger service and exercise their full bilateral rights, emphasizing that the CAAC Notice established restrictions for U.S. carriers that are inconsistent with the Agreement. In response, the CAAC informed the Department that China is considering removing the March 12 schedule pre-condition; however, the restriction to once-weekly service on one route to China would remain in place.

Sounds like U.S. airline service will resume soon.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

kdonohue

Sun May 24, 2020 3:26 pm

nname; YVR-CAN and XMN had been going for about $9000CAD one-way economy and are still selling out. YVR-CTU is much cheaper at $4500CAD but the next availability is in August.

And in recent weeks that YVR-CAN flight has been on an A380, so lots of capacity.

workhorse

Sun May 24, 2020 3:37 pm

c933103 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

According to my understanding, China have limited international flight load factor to 75% and requested airlines to have a few empty rows on the back, so that passengers with special situation on the flight can be isolated there, but no other particular restrictions on seat assignment

OK, thanks. And on domestic? Business as usual?

c933103
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 3:51 pm

workhorse wrote:
c933103 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

There doesn't seems to be any particular restriction on domestic flight, and capacity are now restoring progressively, although I might have missed something.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

Vicenza

Sun May 24, 2020 4:22 pm

c933103 wrote:
"U.S. accuses China of blocking American flights and demands action": https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/05/23/us- ... ction.html
It have apparently become a new flash point between the United States government and Chinese government.

China, and any other sovereign country, has the right to restrict flights in a given situation irrespective of what the US (or again any other country) 'wants'.

c933103
Topic Author

Sun May 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Vicenza wrote:
c933103 wrote:

China, and any other sovereign country, has the right to restrict flights in a given situation irrespective of what the US (or again any other country) 'wants'.

The problem stated in the article is that China is now allowing Chinese carriers to fly to the United States while banning United States carriers from doing the same.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

Dieuwer

Sun May 24, 2020 5:27 pm

This will end only one way: A Total Ban on Chinese carriers flying to the US.

workhorse

Sun May 24, 2020 5:50 pm

c933103 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
c933103 wrote:

There doesn't seems to be any particular restriction on domestic flight, and capacity are now restoring progressively, although I might have missed something.

I see, thanks.

I thought, with so much widebodies (77Ws, 330s...) left without work because of international travel restrictions, it could make sense to use them on domestic runs and make people sit further from each other. Fuel is cheap now.

sincx

Sun May 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

that's the opposite of what the US government is asking for--the US government is very reasonably asking for US carriers to be treated similarly to Chinese carriers by China

right now Chinese carriers can each fly 1 weekly flight to/from the US (at very high fares), for about 6 flights per week, but US carriers have 0 flights

i think the most likely resolution is that UA, DL, and AA will be given the same number of weekly flights as the Chinese carriers have now, so 2 flights per week for each

United1

Sun May 24, 2020 10:20 pm

Vicenza wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The Chinese do have that right but the catch is Chinese carriers are being allowed to operate to the US without frequency restrictions by the US. If the Chinese don't allow UA, DL and AA to restart flights in a commercially viable manner the US also has the right to ban the Chinese carriers from operating. That would be bad for both countries so wouldn't it be better to find a mutually agreeable solution so both countries get what they "want."
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

LAXintl

Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm

The problem is U.S. airlines had already stopped serving China by March 12th, which is the baseline schedule period that China adopted to determine what routes and carriers may resume using the new 1x weekly criteria.

Chinese carriers never stopped their U.S. service, so when the look back to March 12 is performed, they still maintain their U.S. route rights.

workhorse

Sun May 24, 2020 10:28 pm

United1 wrote:
If the Chinese don't allow UA, DL and AA to restart flights in a commercially viable manner the US also has the right to ban the Chinese carriers from operating.

They will allow. Their concern is not to deny the US carriers their right flying to China, but to have (for the time being) as little inbound passengers as possible, be it on US, Chinese or Martian airlines.

747cllipper747

Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Basically sounds like no one knows when service will start up! Everyone can conjecture here but where is it written... from Chinese as well as US counterparts. Does this exist? I have friends waiting to return to USA booked on UA & DL but so far seems not happening ... they want to return mid June... anyone?!

United1

Sun May 24, 2020 10:38 pm

workhorse wrote:
United1 wrote:
If the Chinese don't allow UA, DL and AA to restart flights in a commercially viable manner the US also has the right to ban the Chinese carriers from operating.

They will allow. Their concern is not to deny the US carriers their right flying to China, but to have (for the time being) as little inbound passengers as possible, be it on US, Chinese or Martian airlines.

I have no doubt the Chinese will allow the US3 to restart flights but the question is when. I'm sure that restricting travel because of the virus is the primary Chinese motivation but that being said why are they allowing Chinese carriers to operate but preventing US carriers? Why pick an arbitrary date after the US carriers had stopped operating to decide on who has the right to operate US-China flights? Why not follow the bilateral agreement and allow both sides to operate flights...even if the number of flights is restricted.
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

workhorse

Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 pm

United1 wrote:
workhorse wrote:
United1 wrote:

I have no doubt the Chinese will allow the US3 to restart flights but the question is when. I'm sure that restricting travel because of the virus is the primary Chinese motivation but that being said why are they allowing Chinese carriers to operate but preventing US carriers? Why pick an arbitrary date after the US carriers had stopped operating to decide on who has the right to operate US-China flights? Why not follow the bilateral agreement and allow both sides to operate flights...even if the number of flights is restricted.

The US carriers have handed on a golden plate to the Chinese autorities a reason to curtail their flights by cutting their service very early in the pandemic. Now that they've sensed there's a lot of dough to be made they want back. Fine! They'll have their flights back, on the same terms as the national carriers. Case closed.

blandy62

Sun May 24, 2020 10:59 pm

Dieuwer wrote:

With the current administration, it is likely.

Now if I understand well, the current restriction is not only about the US3, it is the same to European airlines....

Aesma

Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am

From the article posted upthread, the Trump administration complained about this the same day it slapped sanctions on dozens of Chinese firms. Diplomacy is really not a concept they grasp.

nname wrote:
Aither wrote:

Check their ticket price right now. The supply are so limited that people are willing to pay anything to get back. I can't imagine they're loosing money on international routes right now.

YVR-CAN and XMN had been going for about $9000CAD one-way economy and are still selling out. YVR-CTU is much cheaper at $4500CAD but the next availability is in August.

I would consider taking a cargo ship...
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

lightsaber

Mon May 25, 2020 12:54 am

United1 wrote:
Vicenza wrote:
c933103 wrote:

The Chinese do have that right but the catch is Chinese carriers are being allowed to operate to the US without frequency restrictions by the US. If the Chinese don't allow UA, DL and AA to restart flights in a commercially viable manner the US also has the right to ban the Chinese carriers from operating. That would be bad for both countries so wouldn't it be better to find a mutually agreeable solution so both countries get what they "want."

Agreed.

Either China reciprcocates or the flights are cut.

Every nation has a right to insist on equal access.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

airhansa

Mon May 25, 2020 6:29 am

How do these flights relate to Hong Kong and Macau? Hong Kong and Macau should be allowed to fly an unlimited number of international flights, but would they be allowed to fly an unlimited number of Mainland China flights? Also, an alternative might be to ferry passengers via ship/train from Macau/HK to the Mainland onto domestic flights.

sincx

Mon May 25, 2020 6:57 am

airhansa wrote:
How do these flights relate to Hong Kong and Macau? Hong Kong and Macau should be allowed to fly an unlimited number of international flights, but would they be allowed to fly an unlimited number of Mainland China flights? Also, an alternative might be to ferry passengers via ship/train from Macau/HK to the Mainland onto domestic flights.

Hong Kong is not allowing anyone in unless they have a Hong Kong residency ID. Not even air-side transit is allowed.

airhansa

Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm

sincx wrote:
airhansa wrote:

Hong Kong is not allowing anyone in unless they have a Hong Kong residency ID. Not even air-side transit is allowed.

Yes, but I presume that Hong Kong and Macau will open up before the foreign carrier restrictions are lifted. Would the solution then be to fly passengers to Hong Kong or Macau, then train (or ferry) them across the border onto domestic flights? I'm quite sure both KLM and Lufthansa should be able to handle air-rail connections.

United1

Mon May 25, 2020 3:17 pm

workhorse wrote:
United1 wrote:
workhorse wrote:

The US carriers have handed on a golden plate to the Chinese autorities a reason to curtail their flights by cutting their service very early in the pandemic. Now that they've sensed there's a lot of dough to be made they want back. Fine! They'll have their flights back, on the same terms as the national carriers. Case closed.

A bit narcissistic victim blaming the airlines for cutting service during the height of the pandemic in China don't you think? Either way you still haven't answered my question...why arbitrarily, and unilaterally, pick a date after the US carriers had stopped operating to decide on who has the right to operate flights? It's case closed when the Chinese government decides to start operating under the bilateral again.

c933103
Topic Author

Mon May 25, 2020 4:59 pm

airhansa wrote:
Yes, but I presume that Hong Kong and Macau will open up before the foreign carrier restrictions are lifted. Would the solution then be to fly passengers to Hong Kong or Macau, then train (or ferry) them across the border onto domestic flights? I'm quite sure both KLM and Lufthansa should be able to handle air-rail connections.

Hong Kong airport used to offer through ferry connection to Mainland China without the need of passing through Hong Kong's custom and border check, however that service was cancelled by Guangdong local government of Mainland China since it brought in too many infected Chinese nationals back from Western countries at the time, and remaining passengers unable to transit using ferry were constrained at Hong Kong Airport until both side reached and agreement to carry them back using specifically designated buses and the closure of Hong Kong Airport from transit traffic. To resume such service, it's probably necessary to first get approval and understanding from the Guangdong provincial government in the Mainland China which is probably not something as easy as it seems.
Otherwise, since Hong Kong currently requires all inbound travellers to quarantine for 14 days, and Mainland China travellers trabsiting through Hong Kong without specific visa/travel document can only stay in Hong Kong for 7 days, they would not be able to observe the quarantine within their legally allowed period of visa free transit time and thus would be rejected from entering Hong Kong.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

c933103
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2020 2:23 am

sincx wrote:
airhansa wrote:

The government of Hong Kong just announced that transfer at Hong Kong Airport will be allowed again from June 1 onward
https://news.now.com/home/local/player? ... efer=Share
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

mercure1

Wed May 27, 2020 2:49 pm

Reported CAAC will allow tripling of international flights effective June 1

https://skift.com/2020/05/27/china-mull ... l-flights/
mercure f-wtcc

c933103
Topic Author

Sun May 31, 2020 2:53 am

c933103 wrote:
sincx wrote:
airhansa wrote:

The government of Hong Kong just announced that transfer at Hong Kong Airport will be allowed again from June 1 onward
https://news.now.com/home/local/player? ... efer=Share

https://m.mingpao.com/fin/instantf2.php ... e=20200530
Chinese residents travelling from/to Mainland China will be excluded from the reapproval of transit passengers, according to Cathay.
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!
Nya! Nya! Nya! Nya!

kithytom

Sun May 31, 2020 10:18 pm

Any news from Singapore regarding transfer?

janders

Sun May 31, 2020 11:05 pm

Singapore allows transfers effective June 2nd

https://skift.com/2020/05/20/singapore- ... s-in-june/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

kithytom

Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:27 am

janders wrote:
Singapore allows transfers effective June 2nd

https://skift.com/2020/05/20/singapore- ... s-in-june/

It said airlines should submit their proposals for transfer lanes. apparently nothing heard from any airline on any approved flights..

Midwestindy

Trump Admin to bar Chinese Airlines from flying to US

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:39 pm

It appears the previous topic was deleted
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/tru ... ng-to-u-s/

This order will go into effect on June 16 and marks an increased escalation of tensions between the US & China. Trump’s administration on May 22 accused the Chinese government of making it impossible for U.S. airlines to resume service to China and ordered four Chinese carriers to file flight schedules with the U.S. government. The order applies to Air China, China Eastern Airlines Corp, China Southern Airlines Co, Hainan Airlines Holding Co, and others

Personally I feel as if this could be good news for airlines like JAL, ANA, and KE
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Polot

Re: Trump Admin to bar Chinese Airlines from flying to US

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Personally I feel as if this could be good news for airlines like JAL, ANA, and KE

Eh, the situation will probably resolve itself quickly. The Chinese airlines themselves have been pressuring the Chinese government to relax their rules more. If they don’t have access to the US market that pressure will just increase.

nine4nine

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:47 pm

This is great. We shouldn’t be rolling over for China like most other nations do. There has never been a reciprocal balance with anything regarding China, all very one sided in their favor, always has been and always will.

Will also be a huge boost financially to other struggling Asian carriers not owned or propped up by the govt for passenger connectivity throughout the region.
717, 727-100, 727-200, 732, 733, 734, 735, 73G, 738, 739, 742, 748, 752, 753, 762, 763, 772, 77W, 787-10, DC9, MD80/88/90, DC10, 319, 220-300, 320, 321, 321n, 332, 333, CS100, CRJ200, Q400, E175, E190, ERJ145, EMB120

zakuivcustom

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:48 pm

You beat me to this by second.

Same thing on Reuters:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN23A248

I agree with Polot - this is basically pressuring rhe Chinese aviation authority to stop their BS. Of course, with US-China relation being extremely cold right now, there could be surprises ahead.

eurotrader85

Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:53 pm

Good news for CX as well. HKG just opening up for transit again and they could do with the pax, all be it small atm.

I read this morning that Hong Kong, and by extension can maybe assume China as well, is looking to open up its borders to foreign visitors (other than between Hong Kong, Macau, Mainland China and Taiwan) on September 18th, while 7th July is being touted by Hong Kong to open up to each other (Taiwan will of course have its own view). If that's true the dearth of trans pacific traffic will be brutal.

lhrnue

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm

I see some Airbus orders on the horizon.

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:08 pm

lhrnue wrote:
I see some Airbus orders on the horizon.

Exactly. Next move is that China will forbid their airlines from purchasing Boeing aircraft. Good news for Airbus, bad news for the EU, which refuses to play hardball with China.

For all of his faults, I appreciate Trump standing up to China. I just question his motivation.
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

kalvado

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:18 pm

I am living under the flight path to JFK, and see a lot of Chinese planes flying into NYC; CA981 PEK-JFK 773 just flew overhead. Those contrails really give a new meaning to the word "lifeline"...
My biggest question is if US stocked up enough masks for such harsh action...

GEUltraFan9XGTF

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:22 pm

kalvado wrote:
I am living under the flight path to JFK, and see a lot of Chinese planes flying into NYC; CA981 PEK-JFK 773 just flew overhead. Those contrails really give a new meaning to the word "lifeline"...
My biggest question is if US stocked up enough masks for such harsh action...

Well, they just need to make them here, employ Americans, and limit our own exports. Seems easy enough?
© 2020. All statements are my own. The use of my statements, including by journalists, YouTube vloggers like "DJ's Aviation", etc. without my written consent is strictly prohibited.

enilria

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:26 pm

nine4nine wrote:
This is great. We shouldn’t be rolling over for China like most other nations do. There has never been a reciprocal balance with anything regarding China, all very one sided in their favor, always has been and always will.

Will also be a huge boost financially to other struggling Asian carriers not owned or propped up by the govt for passenger connectivity throughout the region.

I completely agree. The mainstream media is going to treat this as the President creating trade tensions, but the reality is that if they don't allow our airlines to land we have to return the favor. There really is no other course of action.

LAXintl

Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:31 pm

Sour grapes for the U.S. They are now upset because China few days ago allowed 8 nations to resume service based on health status. U.S. was not one of them.

The CAAC baseline service requirement of March 12 still stands, and with the U.S. which had zero passenger flights to China at the time, so there is no baseline schedule to work up from when resuming service.