Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic

Re: British Airways network updates

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:47 am

without having to search 8 pages any MCO updates?

davidjohnson6

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:14 am

Try using the Search box - enter MCO in the white box at the top of your screen and then press the button with the arrow pointing to the right. It will then return any mentions of MCO on this thread

hpff

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:37 am

Still haven't seen any articles about how BA will be impacted by the planned four-week lockdown, though it looks like airlines are scrambling to cancel flights from the UK since overseas travel isn't allowed and overnighting somewhere that isn't your home is also not allowed. It's not going to be pretty.

IndianicWorld

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:23 pm

hpff wrote:
Still haven't seen any articles about how BA will be impacted by the planned four-week lockdown, though it looks like airlines are scrambling to cancel flights from the UK since overseas travel isn't allowed and overnighting somewhere that isn't your home is also not allowed. It's not going to be pretty.

Given the levels of cases being experienced across Europe, it’s certainly not going to be easy, but the thought that this was going to somehow be manageable without tough decisions is hard to comprehend.

There’s really no real light at the end of the tunnel for Airlines or businesses in general until a safe and effective vaccine is rolled out across the world. There will be outbreaks and restrictions that will continue to affect confidence, but doing nothing isn’t a solution either.

Certainly would be an airline execs nightmare trying to steer a company through this.

STUIAN

Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:59 pm

crownvic wrote:
without having to search 8 pages any MCO updates?

If it help my flight LHR/MCO/LHR departing 16th December for 14 nights has been cancelled by BA and offered a voucher, so no flights until after Christmas at least.

jomur

Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:22 pm

hpff wrote:

Advise against overseas travel is for England only and it has to be voted on by Parliament before coming law. In theory it should.not effect Scotland and Northern Ireland or Wales after its lockdown ends on the 9th November.

chonetsao

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:03 pm

IndianicWorld wrote:
Certainly would be an airline execs nightmare trying to steer a company through this.

Yet Qantas comes up so many innovative idea to get extra revenue, albeit not enough to steer through the crisis.

Sell amenity sets and pyjamas with cash and points, brilliant.
Sell memorabilia from the retiring B747, brilliant.
Sell going-nowhere-scenic flight at several thousands dollars in business class, brilliant.

Nileblue

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:20 pm

Can anyone shed some light on why BA changed the flight number on the Cairo route from BA154/155 to BA400/401 with the start of W20 last week? The former has been used for decades. Just interested to know.

ZuluTime

Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:51 pm

It has indeed been the BA155 for more than 30 years.

Looks like CAI is changing to short-haul Airbus equipment. Although it's still on the 787 in the short term, it's being sold as Economy and Business with no World Traveller Plus or Club World on it any more. Shifting the flight numbers from long-haul to short-haul flight number range seems to be a sign that this is permanent - just as they moved Moscow from the old BA872 to BA23x numbers when the equipment changed.

And the Moscow numbers have gone back to BA8xx for next summer as well.

Definitely the end of the road for the mid-haul A321s then.

Bhoy

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:29 pm

jomur wrote:
hpff wrote:

Advise against overseas travel is for England only and it has to be voted on by Parliament before coming law. In theory it should.not effect Scotland and Northern Ireland or Wales after its lockdown ends on the 9th November.

And how many overseas flights do BA have from Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales? :roll:

jomur

Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:35 pm

Bhoy wrote:
jomur wrote:
hpff wrote:

And how many overseas flights do BA have from Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales? :roll:

My comment was aimed at the no international travel bit, nothing to do with BA having international flights from Scotland or any other part of the UK.

marcogr12

Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:43 pm

Are there restrictions for inbound foreign travellers too, flying to LON or MAN?
Flying is breathing..no planes no life..

speedbird52

Re: British Airways flight lands in Lahore after 40 years

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:02 pm

RemoFlyer wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Breathe wrote:
Any idea on the state of the toilets on that flight?

Very odd question.

Not that odd if you've ever experienced a flight to or from the subcontinent.

Worst bathroom etiquette I have seen tends to always be in Western countries. You will not catch a Pakistani person dead using the bathroom and not washing their hands. For Western folks that's almost normal.

AIR MALTA

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:39 pm

ZuluTime wrote:

Looks like CAI is changing to short-haul Airbus equipment. Although it's still on the 787 in the short term, it's being sold as Economy and Business with no World Traveller Plus or Club World on it any more. Shifting the flight numbers from long-haul to short-haul flight number range seems to be a sign that this is permanent - just as they moved Moscow from the old BA872 to BA23x numbers when the equipment changed.

So does that mean BoB on flights to CAI and DME?
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

RvA

Re: British Airways flight lands in Lahore after 40 years

Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:47 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
RemoFlyer wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Very odd question.

Not that odd if you've ever experienced a flight to or from the subcontinent.

Worst bathroom etiquette I have seen tends to always be in Western countries. You will not catch a Pakistani person dead using the bathroom and not washing their hands. For Western folks that's almost normal.

Almost normal? Almost 40 years in the western world and I can count on one hand how many times I have seen people not wash their hands what are you talking about.

xwb777

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:53 pm

AIR MALTA wrote:
ZuluTime wrote:

Buy On Board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

concordeforever

Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:28 am

ZuluTime wrote:

Looks like CAI is changing to short-haul Airbus equipment. Although it's still on the 787 in the short term, it's being sold as Economy and Business with no World Traveller Plus or Club World on it any more. Shifting the flight numbers from long-haul to short-haul flight number range seems to be a sign that this is permanent.

As a widebody at the moment we are receiving between 10 and 18 AKE's and PMC's of vegetables inbound to London everyday.

Nileblue

Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:25 pm

xwb777 wrote:
AIR MALTA wrote:
ZuluTime wrote:

Buy On Board

Thank you all.

Quite a surprising move for a route like Cairo - I’d understand if this happened on a hypothetical route to SSH or HRG but not CAI.

I’m however interested to know whether they secured approval from the Egyptian Civil Aviation Authority (ECAA) to offer a BOB service. Current Egyptian regulations stipulate that airlines cannot offer a “LCC” service to Cairo which includes BOB. That is why the likes of Jazeera Airways & Air Arabia offer a complimentary meal service on their respective flights to Cairo (BOB on the remainder of their networks). In fact it was this reason, along with lack of business class, why the ECAA did not approve easyJet’s request to operate LGW-CAI in the past.

Andy33

Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:17 pm

Nileblue wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
AIR MALTA wrote:

Buy On Board

Thank you all.

Quite a surprising move for a route like Cairo - I’d understand if this happened on a hypothetical route to SSH or HRG but not CAI.

I’m however interested to know whether they secured approval from the Egyptian Civil Aviation Authority (ECAA) to offer a BOB service. Current Egyptian regulations stipulate that airlines cannot offer a “LCC” service to Cairo which includes BOB. That is why the likes of Jazeera Airways & Air Arabia offer a complimentary meal service on their respective flights to Cairo (BOB on the remainder of their networks). In fact it was this reason, along with lack of business class, why the ECAA did not approve easyJet’s request to operate LGW-CAI in the past.

There are a couple of differences. Firstly BA has no BOB services at all in operation at the moment due to COVID precautions - economy passengers on shorthaul get an absolutely minimal but complimentary snack bag, and secondly the Airbus operated shorthaul routes all now have business class, which even now has complimentary meals and drinks and might perhaps meet the ECAA requirements to differentiate from LCC. They're supposed to be negotiating with new partners to restart BOB in shorthaul economy but there's no sign that the negotiations are complete, let alone that a start date has been set.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:49 pm

Anyone have a list of all long haul routes BA will be operating this winter season?

I know it will be 52 long haul routes (at least for the month of November), according to this, but would like to see a full list.
us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Special

Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:19 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
Anyone have a list of all long haul routes BA will be operating this winter season?

I know it will be 52 long haul routes (at least for the month of November), according to this, but would like to see a full list.

https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... gibraltar/
You could check this out

MAH4546

Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:18 pm

Special wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

You could check this out

Crazy. So what’s even left? I think it’s down to:

JFK, LAX, Miami, Dulles, O’Hare, Toronto
India, Nigeria, Johannesburg
São Paulo
Hong Kong and China
a.

B747forever

Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:40 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
Special wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

You could check this out

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

Seems SEA survived this round of cuts.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Special

Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 am

MAH4546 wrote:
Special wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

You could check this out

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

And Accra (Ghana)

Aircellist

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:37 am

And YUL
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

LH658

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:54 am

Special wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
Special wrote:

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

And Accra (Ghana)

IAH, DXB, ISB, and LHE.

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:57 am

MAH4546 wrote:

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

No SFO? Wow!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

MAH4546

Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:50 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

No SFO? Wow!

It’s gone for a November but more shockingly so is Boston.
a.

LAX772LR

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:04 am

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
No SFO? Wow!

but more shockingly so is Boston.

Yikes.

And IINM, several charts posted here and elsewhere showed SAN as BA's highest yielding N.Am route per segment... yet, it's not either, apparently. :(
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

fcogafa

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:45 am

A lot of A320s have been ferried to Gatwick this week, are they restarting there?

factsonly

Fri Nov 06, 2020 9:53 am

British Airways operational performance compared to other airlines in the first week November 2020:

Early November 2020 compared to first week november 2019:
- Widerøe operated at -15%
- Pegasus -26%
- KLM -46%
- Turkish Airlines -53%
- British Airways -67%
- Ryanair -71%
- Air France -73%
- Wizz Air -75%
- Lufthansa -76%
- easyJet -89%

And for actual number of flights:

- Turkish Airlines was the airline with the highest number of flights with 591 flights, showing a decrease of -5% over 2 weeks with -32 flights.
- Ryanair (511 flights, -5%, -25 flights),
- KLM (366, -4%, -17),
- Lufthansa (360, -19%, -87),
- SAS (338, -1%, -5),
- Widerøe (330, +2%, +5),
- Pegasus (319, -0%, -1),
- Air France (304, -38%, -188),
- British Airways (297, +1%, +4)
- DHL Express (286, +1%, +4).

https://www.eurocontrol.int/sites/defau ... 112020.pdf

SueD

Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:29 am

Aren’t the US points of entry for international traffic still restricted aside from the individual personal travel restrictions both sides of the ocean ?

TC957

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:00 am

MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

São Paulo
Hong Kong and China

No SFO? Wow!

It’s gone for a November but more shockingly so is Boston.

SFO & BOS will be back 3 Dec after UK lockdown over.
SEZ route is also having a month-long suspension 10 Nov - 10 Dec.

BealineV953

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:02 am

fcogafa wrote:
A lot of A320s have been ferried to Gatwick this week, are they restarting there?

According to basource (usually reliable) the A320s that recently ferried from LHR to LGW went there to be stored.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

MAH4546

Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:22 am

LAX772LR wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
No SFO? Wow!

but more shockingly so is Boston.

Yikes.

And IINM, several charts posted here and elsewhere showed SAN as BA's highest yielding N.Am route per segment... yet, it's not either, apparently. :(

Yeah but I mean, there’s no demand right now for the leisure nor business travel that filled it, as you know.

And if you look at what routes are restarting it’s not the holiday routes, it’s the VFR stuff. For example, Miami has El Al, Aeroflot and Qatar all back, but not KLM, Alitalia or SAS. And other big gateway airports similar.
a.

mercure1

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:16 pm

BA shelves plans for Australia flight relaunch in December.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... ts-to-2021
mercure f-wtcc

JannEejit

Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:34 pm

fcogafa wrote:

GLA has been receiving around six A319/A320 fleet per day since end of last week for storage. The previously stored A321 CEO fleet has been slowly making it's way to Madrid for winter storage, with (I think ?) four still remaining as I write. I'm told locally that upwards of thirty narrow body fleet will reside at GLA, pending future developments.

yulexpansion

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Aircellist wrote:
And YUL

It looks like they cancelled YUL.

Aircellist

Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:56 pm

yulexpansion wrote:
Aircellist wrote:
And YUL

It looks like they cancelled YUL.

Oh, you are right. I had seen it not long ago, but it seems it was before november…
"When I find out I was wrong, I change my mind. What do you do?" -attributed to John Maynard Keynes

MrHMSH

Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:29 pm

Not confirmed, but it seems that BA intends to use the 787 on LHR-SIN-SYD (BA15/16), if they do indeed resume flying to SYD next year.

http://simpleflying.com/british-airways-787-sydney/

A333MSPtoAMS

Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:52 am

SueD wrote:
Aren’t the US points of entry for international traffic still restricted aside from the individual personal travel restrictions both sides of the ocean ?

No. That ended in October. All international airports can now receive international flights as they had done previously.
As of Dec 2019 I've flown 457,440 miles on 270 flights on 54 airplane types with 60 airlines traveling thru 104 airports. I've visited 60 countries.
http://cronkflies.com

louA340

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:16 pm

BA has been using the A35K for the LHR-ACC route in place of the 772 for the last week. Is this just for the busy Christmas period or it's going to be permanent?

Opus99

Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:29 pm

louA340 wrote:
BA has been using the A35K for the LHR-ACC route in place of the 772 for the last week. Is this just for the busy Christmas period or it's going to be permanent?

It is permanent for the winter season

andrew1996

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:11 pm

MrHMSH wrote:
Not confirmed, but it seems that BA intends to use the 787 on LHR-SIN-SYD (BA15/16), if they do indeed resume flying to SYD next year.

http://simpleflying.com/british-airways-787-sydney/

It seems like they are really intent on resuming SYD, albeit they have constantly pushed it back because of various travel regulations. I wonder if they might instead initially in the recovery serve SIN only through BA15/16 and allow it to be daily since the current SIN flight is like 4X weekly? SQ on the other hand is currently flying double daily to LHR, albeit with A359s than their A388/77W fleet.

How was SYD performing for BA before COVID-19? SYD seemed like a challenge for aircraft utilization because it is a long flight LHR-SIN-SYD AND the plane sits on the ground in SYD all day before returning to SIN so they must need a few frames to serve SYD alone. However, I cant imagine BA ever leaving SYD unless it was a significant lose maker

x1234

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:14 pm

Better put the B789 on LHR-SIN-SYD and lower the fuel burn. Remember the 789 has lower fuel burn that the A351. There isn't much cargo anyways and the majority transits the Gulf or Asian countries anyways. Africa and Middle East is similar. The highest yielding cargo right now is the Americas where there's limited low price competition.

JumboMaiden

Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:47 pm

x1234 wrote:
Better put the B789 on LHR-SIN-SYD and lower the fuel burn. Remember the 789 has lower fuel burn that the A351. .

The A350 couldn't go that distance from a passenger viewpoint. BA went cheap with the tiny galley arrangement so 350 is not able to
store the equipment and catering needed on that length of sector.
Maybe someone knows if the crewmours are true about refitting them?

andrew1996

Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:10 pm

JumboMaiden wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Better put the B789 on LHR-SIN-SYD and lower the fuel burn. Remember the 789 has lower fuel burn that the A351. .

The A350 couldn't go that distance from a passenger viewpoint. BA went cheap with the tiny galley arrangement so 350 is not able to

Is there no place in the galley to store two sets of hot meal on the A350s? That basically restricts the A350 to transatlantic to the east coast.
I think a greater detterance to putting a A350 for SIN/SYD at least post recovery is the lack of first class too

MrHMSH

Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:32 am

andrew1996 wrote:
JumboMaiden wrote:
x1234 wrote:

Is there no place in the galley to store two sets of hot meal on the A350s? That basically restricts the A350 to transatlantic to the east coast.
I think a greater deterrance to putting a A350 for SIN/SYD at least post recovery is the lack of first class too

There is the option to store two sets of hot meals, but BA elected not to choose it. Judging by the routes they use their A35Ks on they weren't ever intending to use it to fly any further than India or US West Coast. I wonder if they regret that now, the A35K would be a good candidate for longer range routes.

I'm not sure BA would refit them with the larger galleys, but they could change the future orders to accommodate them. When the time comes for 77E replacement I think BA may well go for more A35Ks configured for longer haul spec, not sure the A359 would fit in though, seems like the larger A35K or 787s optimised for shorter routes (BA's bread and butter) are better-suited.

FromCDGtoSYD

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:55 am

andrew1996 wrote:

How was SYD performing for BA before COVID-19? SYD seemed like a challenge for aircraft utilization because it is a long flight LHR-SIN-SYD AND the plane sits on the ground in SYD all day before returning to SIN so they must need a few frames to serve SYD alone. However, I cant imagine BA ever leaving SYD unless it was a significant lose maker

Before covid it was largely relying on the huge traffic between LHR and SIN. There seemed to be a lot of connecting premium traffic but having been in SIN for a long time, I recall BA being the cheapest on the route (after Scoot) in economy and business. That being said, for Singapore pax the timing was pretty good, allowing for a full night on the outbound and late arrival into Changi to head straight home for the night.

I do recall many people here quoting BA saying the route started turning a profit when it changed to mixed fleet.

Opus99

Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:59 am

MrHMSH wrote:
andrew1996 wrote:
JumboMaiden wrote:

I think a greater deterrance to putting a A350 for SIN/SYD at least post recovery is the lack of first class too

There is the option to store two sets of hot meals, but BA elected not to choose it. Judging by the routes they use their A35Ks on they weren't ever intending to use it to fly any further than India or US West Coast. I wonder if they regret that now, the A35K would be a good candidate for longer range routes.

I'm not sure BA would refit them with the larger galleys, but they could change the future orders to accommodate them. When the time comes for 77E replacement I think BA may well go for more A35Ks configured for longer haul spec, not sure the A359 would fit in though, seems like the larger A35K or 787s optimised for shorter routes (BA's bread and butter) are better-suited.

77E IMO will most likely go to the -10. They don’t need the range and or size of either Of the A35K. They need the size of the 359 but not the range. The -10 is the perfect aircraft for their network and BA were really impressed by its cargo capabilities and of course its efficiency at the load it’s able to carry over the 7-9hr hauls. Which about 97% of the routes the 777 does at BA. Whatever cannot be done will be carried over by the 35K or the 787. The 35K is very well placed to be a 747 replacement and or a 300ER replacement down the line which is what is what bought for.

It will of course with IAG come down mainly to price seeing as that will be the main factor here as there are many available aircraft to fill the role of the 77E. And of course BA seems to have a favouritism for Boeing wide bodies. This is just my opinion anyway. So we have to wait and see

But what would MOST likely end up happening

787-10 4 class routes
A350-900 3 class routes (which tend to be longer in BA’s case)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos