Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BealineV953

Re: BA cancels LHR-CHS for rest of 2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:12 pm

BA777FO wrote:
tonystan wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

As for thinking the company was close to going bust in 2009, wow! Even history has proved this was far from the truth! Move on!

Okay, apologies this off topic but this needs to be addressed.

As for 2009 - the airline was close to going below £1bn cash - below which credit card companies would have withheld payments and suppliers would have demanded payment upfront rather than a month in arrears. That would have technically made the company insolvent.

I'm done with this here though, happy to continue it via PM.

In early 2009, IIRC February / March, revenue had all but dried up, BA was down to around six weeks of cash and was at very serious risk of going down the same path as Swissair and Sabena.
A huge amount of work was done to save the company. In particular, the Procurement team worked day and night to renegotiate contracts with suppliers to slow and delay the rate at which cash was flowing out of the company. History shows that this worked.
Ever since childhood, when I lived within sight of London Airport, I have seldom seen a plane go by and not wished I was on it.”
With apologies to Paul Theroux - ‘The Great Railway Bazaar’

dcajet

Re: British Airways route updates

Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:08 pm

BA777FO wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
dcajet wrote:

BA3XXX usually refer to cargo flights. Are they operating passenger services to Brazil or the regular BA 246/7 flt #s are being used for cargo as well?

BA 246/7 are the regular pax flights. Open for sales.

The BA246/7 flights this month are cargo only. The only longhaul flights carrying passengers, apart from repatriation flights, are: LAX, ORD, IAD, JFK, BOS and HKG as well as the odd SIN now carrying passengers too. Everything else longhaul is cargo or charter/repatriation.

Interestingly there's a cargo flight to Salt Lake City today on the 787-8

Thank you, that's what I thought.
Keep calm and wash your hands.

izbtmnhd

Re: BA cancels LHR-CHS for rest of 2020

Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:33 am

LAX772LR wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:
MSY, PDX, etc. are easily accessible through the existing OW hubs. It is what it is for now.

And yet, they just reconfirmed PDX being launched, and MSY has received no notification at this time that their flight will not be returning, so......

Looks like the OW hubs win the round against PDX. Still no word about MSY, PIT, BNA, AUS, etc. either.

Andy33

Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:11 am

Since the US government does not currently permit transatlantic passenger arrivals at these airports, with no end date for the policy, what does anyone expect BA to do? Advertise flights anyway, allow the poorly informed to book and then tell them the flights are cancelled? I admit some other airlines are advertising flights for 2021 that are impossible in 2020, with no certainly that things will be any different then. Maybe they're trying to bounce the respective governments into action.

Westerwaelder

Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:01 am

Andy33 wrote:
Since the US government does not currently permit transatlantic passenger arrivals at these airports, with no end date for the policy, what does anyone expect BA to do? Advertise flights anyway, allow the poorly informed to book and then tell them the flights are cancelled? I admit some other airlines are advertising flights for 2021 that are impossible in 2020, with no certainly that things will be any different then. Maybe they're trying to bounce the respective governments into action.

That's not quite the reason though. BA happily announce service resumption to MCO, TPA, BWI - none of which are currently open to flights from Europe.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-22jul20/

izbtmnhd

Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:59 pm

Andy33 wrote:

Please read through this thread. PDX was discussed during the height of the pandemic with closures in place.

SANFan

Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm

I'm just curious about SAN. I haven't seen any mention of our city lately and if/when we might expect to see Speedbird's return to our skies.

Can anyone offer any updates on San Diego's status with BA these days? (I apologize if I missed any posts on this topic.)

bb

dcajet

Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm

In changes to its long haul schedule filed this week, BA is returning in September to 3 of its 5 Latin American destinations: EZE, GRU & MEX. However, GIG and SCL continue to be suspended.

fcogafa

BA starting LHR-MCO

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:11 pm

Starting 25th October in addition to LGW flights. No short haul at LGW until at leat November

https://www.turningleftforless.com/news ... m=facebook

skipness1E

Re: BA starting LHR-MCO

Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm

You make that sound like growth in the market!!!! :)

TC957

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:18 pm

Just have to hope that us Brits will be allowed to travel to the US by then otherwise starting that service will be a waste of time.

FLALEFTY

Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:44 pm

This is welcome news!

I wonder if Virgin Atlantic will restart MCO service, but move it to LHR? MCO was a huge market for them, pre-pandemic.

x1234

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 pm

Lots of businesses and conferences with worldwide visitors in Orlando. This is the same reason BA moved LAS to LHR for the connections.

LH748

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:14 pm

If BA would move the TPA service to LHR too I'd have a really nice choice of BA flights to Florida
For connecting passengers LGW services are basically useless due to the lack of BA connections within Europe
306 310 318 319 320 321 333 343 388 ATR72 733 737 738 739 743 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 77W 788 CRJ7 CRJ9 E170 F100 MD11 RJ1H
AA AB AC AF AK AZ BA DE DL EW FD FR HF HG IB IR MF KU LH LT LX OD TG TK TP UA VJ VN WN W6 YP YW

FLYKTPA

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:17 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
This is welcome news!

I wonder if Virgin Atlantic will restart MCO service, but move it to LHR? MCO was a huge market for them, pre-pandemic.

VS already announced LHR-MCO a month or two ago.
Huge fan of Tampa International Airport

BA744PHX

Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:34 pm

x1234 wrote:
Lots of businesses and conferences with worldwide visitors in Orlando. This is the same reason BA moved LAS to LHR for the connections.

That a negative, when BA started LAS it was originally from LHR in 2009, LGW was added in 2012 to compliment its service. References below

Heathrow 2009
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2009/oct/2 ... ondon-las/

Gatwick 2012
https://lasvegassun.com/news/2012/oct/2 ... e-las-veg/

Cointrin330

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:29 am

Doubtful this route will launch. November is still relatively far off, but I just don't see the status quo changing until well after year end.

Brickell305

Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:44 am

x1234 wrote:

This has nothing to do with business. O&D is battered right now so the route will benefit from connections. Those are limited at LGW so while there’s slack at LHR, it makes sense to run a flight from there.

SueD

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:13 am

x1234 wrote:

Conference industries are deceased and resting with the choir invisible

Gregd75

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:28 am

dcajet wrote:
In changes to its long haul schedule filed this week, BA is returning in September to 3 of its 5 Latin American destinations: EZE, GRU & MEX. However, GIG and SCL continue to be suspended.

BA have been flying into MEX for some weeks now, but Cargo only. How do we know that these September flights will have passengers, or continue to fly cargo only?

My point is that we don’t know if BA is returning to MEX, or continuing what they’ve been doing now for some time. Cargo only flights using BA242/243.

stl07

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:25 am

I wonder who is gonna be on this flight? You British will lose a lot of my respect if you want to come here of all places
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

davidjohnson6

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 am

On 01 Sep 2020, seats are available for purchase on BA243 from LHR nonstop to MEX. Prior to that date BA's app offers only connections via Madrid. There is of course the possibility that this may change between now and 01 Sep

chonetsao

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:27 am

stl07 wrote:
I wonder who is gonna be on this flight? You British will lose a lot of my respect if you want to come here of all places

Don't worry, it will only happen when both side have controlled the situation.

BA has to publish winter schedule like all other airlines. But whether the flight will operate, or people will travel on this flight, is still far far off from certain. The chance of this flight being operated in 2020 is slim. However, again, airlines have to publish the winter schedule to show their intentions. They will cancel the flight as the situation becomes clearer and the dates are closer.

So chill bro/sis, chill.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:45 am

chonetsao wrote:
However, again, airlines have to publish the winter schedule to show their intentions.

Why? What, or who, obligates a carrier to publish a schedule more than three or four weeks in advance of operating date?

Cointrin330

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:37 am

Brickell305 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

This has nothing to do with business. O&D is battered right now so the route will benefit from connections. Those are limited at LGW so while there’s slack at LHR, it makes sense to run a flight from there.

The connectivity part at LHR over LGW makes sense, but BA will have no feed on the MCO end and Florida is one of the major US hotspots for COVID19 at the moment, so neither the business traveler nor the bucket and spade traveler are likely booking trips to/from and there are restrictions on both ends. This route may have been announced but it will likely be suspended if the situation either does not improve or worsens.

jomur

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:14 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
x1234 wrote:

The connectivity part at LHR over LGW makes sense, but BA will have no feed on the MCO end and Florida is one of the major US hotspots for COVID19 at the moment, so neither the business traveler nor the bucket and spade traveler are likely booking trips to/from and there are restrictions on both ends. This route may have been announced but it will likely be suspended if the situation either does not improve or worsens.

It may not operate in the short term but it will going forward. People DO and ARE still making plans to go back to Florida when it safe to do so. I have moved my November trip to April next year.

jomur

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:15 pm

fcogafa wrote:
Starting 25th October in addition to LGW flights. No short haul at LGW until at leat November

I doubt both LGW flights will be operating. The LHR times are the same as the later flight from/to MCO...

BA777FO

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:27 pm

jomur wrote:
fcogafa wrote:

I doubt both LGW flights will be operating. The LHR times are the same as the later flight from/to MCO...

The plan was 1 daily from LGW plus 1 daily from LHR. Although at this rate I doubt either will fly.

skipness1E

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:58 pm

SANFan wrote:
I'm just curious about SAN. I haven't seen any mention of our city lately and if/when we might expect to see Speedbird's return to our skies.

Can anyone offer any updates on San Diego's status with BA these days? (I apologize if I missed any posts on this topic.)

bb

My flight for Sep was cancelled out, B744 too :(

chonetsao

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:09 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
chonetsao wrote:
However, again, airlines have to publish the winter schedule to show their intentions.

Why? What, or who, obligates a carrier to publish a schedule more than three or four weeks in advance of operating date?

Let us see, Heathrow Airport Authority who oversees Heathrow slots allocation who would like to understand airline's intention of utililises slots? British Cilvil Aviation Authority and Air Traffic Control who would appreciate Airlines to publish schedule early so they can plan for winter season? And British Airways sales team and managemrmt team who wants to make some sales to keep cash flow going in order to keep the airline going? And maybe you did not understand international flight's sales cycle start with 2 to 3 months before the seasonal start instead of 4 weeks?

d8s

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:38 pm

skipness1E wrote:
You make that sound like growth in the market!!!! :)

Thanks Debbie Downer...right now, any addition IS growth in the market.

Cointrin330

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:52 pm

jomur wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

It may not operate in the short term but it will going forward. People DO and ARE still making plans to go back to Florida when it safe to do so. I have moved my November trip to April next year.

Great that you have moved your trip (you're not unique in that sense, as most have put off non essential travel, largely into 2021), but the issue here is an October 25th launch for a route that probably will be pushed off until 2021.

jomur

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:11 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
jomur wrote:
Cointrin330 wrote:

Great that you have moved your trip (you're not unique in that sense, as most have put off non essential travel, largely into 2021), but the issue here is an October 25th launch for a route that probably will be pushed off until 2021.

I wouldn't call it a new route per say, just a transfer and BA will have idea of potential bookings with, I suspect, people will/are moving bookings over, so not a problem on that front. Whether it operates is open to debate and outside of BA's control if the travel still isn't allowed but they still have to plan for the future. October is still too far to know what will be happening.

Qantas59

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:22 pm

BA began MCO back in 1985. For the first several years via MIA, BDA or MAN. Does anyone know when BA first began nonstop service to MCO? I assume this would have been from LGW. Cheers.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png

dcajet

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm

Gregd75 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

BA have been flying into MEX for some weeks now, but Cargo only. How do we know that these September flights will have passengers, or continue to fly cargo only?

My point is that we don’t know if BA is returning to MEX, or continuing what they’ve been doing now for some time. Cargo only flights using BA242/243.
'

Yes, we know. From September onwards those destinations are open for passenger tickets sale. Of course, things may change based on the pandemic evolution.

Mistral1

Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:22 pm

[code][/code] Hope BA doesn't axe GIG & SCL.

LAX772LR

Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:09 pm

SANFan wrote:
Can anyone offer any updates on San Diego's status with BA these days?

Considering that data chart from 2019's rare glimpse into per-route airline prosperity, and SAN's position as the top yielding single-frequency between N.Am and LHR..... I'd be shocked to not see it return on the side of sooner than later. May be more to it though than simple demand.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

SANFan

Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:33 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
SANFan wrote:
Can anyone offer any updates on San Diego's status with BA these days?

Considering that data chart from 2019's rare glimpse into per-route airline prosperity, and SAN's position as the top yielding single-frequency between N.Am and LHR..... I'd be shocked to not see it return on the side of sooner than later. May be more to it though than simple demand.

Thanks for your response. Yes, to the best of my knowledge, BA's SAN-LHR flight has been a successful one, for both pax and cargo. I would be really shocked if it didn't return as soon as possible and at a daily frequency (which it has been since it started.) Just not yet sure when that might be. The biggest unknown is what a/c will be used now that the Queen (747) is no longer an option...

bb

LAX772LR

Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:21 am

SANFan wrote:
The biggest unknown is what a/c will be used now that the Queen (747) is no longer an option...

AUS and SAN swapped back and forth with the 744 depending on season.

BA was prepared to forego F in AUS and use the A35K. I'm wondering if they would've eventually done the same for SAN, or put the 77W in instead?

There's also the option of the 78X, though I'd suspect that performance issues might be at hand. I would've called the 789 too small, at one point; but considering COVID, maybe that's now an option too?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Gregd75

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:36 am

dcajet wrote:
Gregd75 wrote:
dcajet wrote:

'

Yes, we know. From September onwards those destinations are open for passenger tickets sale. Of course, things may change based on the pandemic evolution.

Aha Now that makes more sense.

The post said ‘returning’ to MEX. Now we all know that BA returned to MEX a long time ago. As of September BA will fly passengers again.

SANFan

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:53 am

LAX772LR wrote:
SANFan wrote:
The biggest unknown is what a/c will be used now that the Queen (747) is no longer an option...

AUS and SAN swapped back and forth with the 744 depending on season.

BA was prepared to forego F in AUS and use the A35K. I'm wondering if they would've eventually done the same for SAN, or put the 77W in instead?

There's also the option of the 78X, though I'd suspect that performance issues might be at hand. I would've called the 789 too small, at one point; but considering COVID, maybe that's now an option too?

Yes, the seasonal swap with AUS was a thing thru 2019 but SAN was supposed to be converting to year-round 747 Speedbird service beginning this last March (sigh)... for as long as the Queen remained in the fleet of course. To the best of my knowledge, premium seating to/from SAN has sold very well.

There had also been some chatter over the past year or so that BA was looking at perhaps using different (slightly smaller?) a/c with added frequencies on the SAN route. Depending on how the slot situation at Heathrow stands once the COVID-dust settles, at some point we could maybe see more than 1 daily flight on BA...

bb

dcajet

Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:01 am

Gregd75 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Gregd75 wrote:

'

The post said ‘returning’ to MEX. Now we all know that BA returned to MEX a long time ago. As of September BA will fly passengers again.

Not to be pedantic, but I think it was abundantly clear we were talking about the return of passenger-carrying ops. BA never stopped flying to either of the 3 stations, using the regular flight #s, but carrying cargo instead. Some of those flights were used as repatriation ones too. EZE has been seeing daily cargo services with both the 787-8 & 9 for some time now.

LH658

Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:30 am

ISB restart in August, 3 weekly flights.

seansasLCY

Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:24 am

BA have announced that they will remove the A318 from the fleet which I assume means the end of LCY-JFK.

BA777FO

Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:51 am

seansasLCY wrote:
BA have announced that they will remove the A318 from the fleet which I assume means the end of LCY-JFK.

It will for a while. Given the situation, there will be changes to scope that ordinarily would have been defended with vigour. However, it'll mean Citiflyer ordering A220s for LCY ops with potential in an all J config to make the east coast USA and Middle East nonstop. 2025ish onwards will be inferesting from a network perspective.

Arion640

Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:49 am

BA777FO wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

It will for a while. Given the situation, there will be changes to scope that ordinarily would have been defended with vigour. However, it'll mean Citiflyer ordering A220s for LCY ops with potential in an all J config to make the east coast USA and Middle East nonstop. 2025ish onwards will be inferesting from a network perspective.

Really? Is that really needed with Cross rail coming in?

BA777FO

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:02 pm

Arion640 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
seansasLCY wrote:

After landing at LCY, in an hour you can be in an office in Canary Wharf. An hour after landing at Heathrow, especially T5C, you're lucky to make it curbside an hour after landing. It'd be a niche, all J config, so supply would be tailored to demand.

Gregd75

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:30 pm

dcajet wrote:
Gregd75 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
'

Not to be pedantic, but I think it was abundantly clear we were talking about the return of passenger-carrying ops. BA never stopped flying to either of the 3 stations, using the regular flight #s, but carrying cargo instead. Some of those flights were used as repatriation ones too. EZE has been seeing daily cargo services with both the 787-8 & 9 for some time now.

Not really abundantly clear, but I get your point. We cannot assume that when someone writes 'returns to MEX' it is clear to everyone as there leaves plenty of room to interpret the information differently. At no point is passenger-carrying service mentioned, and the thread is titled BA route updates - not BA passenger-carrying route updates.

So, to be absolutely crystal clear, BA returns to passenger service from September. Thankyou!

chonetsao

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:50 pm

BA777FO wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

After landing at LCY, in an hour you can be in an office in Canary Wharf. An hour after landing at Heathrow, especially T5C, you're lucky to make it curbside an hour after landing. It'd be a niche, all J config, so supply would be tailored to demand.

I would like to argue a stop in Dublin by Aer Lingus or AA then transfer to BA LCY flight can do the trick. Since now IAG has Aer Lingus and DUB, there is no need for LCY non stop to USA if DUB can serve the needs. Although IAG and AA needs to work out details to further shorten the transit time in DUB for US-DUB-LCY connection.

BA777FO

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:36 pm

chonetsao wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I would like to argue a stop in Dublin by Aer Lingus or AA then transfer to BA LCY flight can do the trick. Since now IAG has Aer Lingus and DUB, there is no need for LCY non stop to USA if DUB can serve the needs. Although IAG and AA needs to work out details to further shorten the transit time in DUB for US-DUB-LCY connection.

I know there's pre-clearance at DUB, but a non-stop flight will always be more appealing to premium passengers than a stop over. A DUB stop over saves no time versus a non-stop into Heathrow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos