Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

hohd

Re: BA cancels LHR-CHS for rest of 2020

Fri May 22, 2020 6:51 pm

All the first tier cities are already operational or soon will be (may be as soon as June) which includes New York, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, DFW, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle.

Others are second tier, might take longer to restart. (Aus, Phx, Den, San Diego, Baltimore, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa etc.). Although PHX might come back sooner as it is a hub to hub.

And Charleston, New Orleans and Pittsburgh which may be in the 3rd tier, may not ever return.

IrishAyes

Fri May 22, 2020 6:56 pm

Hahah. Whoever considers IAH, DFW, and even AUS to be "third-tier" markets has been living in a box.

DFWLHR is 4-5x per day on OneWorld/JV IAG in good times. Canceling BA metal out of there is akin to withdrawing from a major market like SEA, LAX, MIA, ORD, BOS, etc.

IAHLHR is 2x per day in good times on BA in addition to 2X UA IAHLHR. Not a chance in hell.

AUS was a smashing success out of the gate. Up-gauged to a 744 for a minute and then eventually a 77W IIRC with even more premium capacity. BA has had tremendous success with niche markets like BNA, MSY, AUS that compelled them to take risks with CHS and PIT.

CLT704

Fri May 22, 2020 7:09 pm

hohd wrote:
All the first tier cities are already operational or soon will be (may be as soon as June) which includes New York, Boston, Washington, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, DFW, Houston, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Seattle.

Others are second tier, might take longer to restart. (Aus, Phx, Den, San Diego, Baltimore, Charlotte, Orlando, Tampa etc.). Although PHX might come back sooner as it is a hub to hub.

And Charleston, New Orleans and Pittsburgh which may be in the 3rd tier, may not ever return.

I'm curious, since when did BA start flying to CLT again?

Arion640

Fri May 22, 2020 10:57 pm

skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
I think you need to remember the furlough scheme ends in Oct and many of those on it become unemployed the next day. The Chancellor said last week we are heading for the biggest recession in living memory. So, no, the return to normal won’t resemble the same level of activity by quite some way.
All of that means that airlines will have to retrench. For example, AA flying B777s out of CLT/PHL-LHR looks ambitious IMHO. Expect all the new US routes flown by BA on the B788 to be dropped. The A380 will, IMHO, not return this year to BA if at all. You’re looking at a collapse in medium term demand the likes of which we haven’t seen. That’s before existing incomes get slashed by higher taxes to lay for all the borrowing. I forget that a lot of peeps on here have never seen a real recession like the 70s or 80s.

Just don’t see it myself.

We’ll have a recession like 2008 for sure but BA still flew the vast majority of their schedule.

You’ll be surprised how quickly things will come back.

I think, honestly that’s delusional. BA are cutting 12,000 staff. This isn’t like 2001 or 2008.

Except there’s no underlying problem like the 2008 crash. We’ll see a V shaped recovery, perhaps a deep and sharp one. People will want to get back to their daily lives as quickly as possible.

The markets really don’t think we’re seeing a massive recession, they’re on the way back up already.

BA have wanted an excuse to get rid of staff for a long while, now here is the perfect opportunity. Most will be re-employed on a new cheaper contract!
1973-2020

PHLspecial

Sat May 23, 2020 6:37 am

hohd wrote:

PHL might not be tier 1 city then because service for BA won't start until July

BA777FO

Sat May 23, 2020 7:07 am

skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
I think you need to remember the furlough scheme ends in Oct and many of those on it become unemployed the next day. The Chancellor said last week we are heading for the biggest recession in living memory. So, no, the return to normal won’t resemble the same level of activity by quite some way.
All of that means that airlines will have to retrench. For example, AA flying B777s out of CLT/PHL-LHR looks ambitious IMHO. Expect all the new US routes flown by BA on the B788 to be dropped. The A380 will, IMHO, not return this year to BA if at all. You’re looking at a collapse in medium term demand the likes of which we haven’t seen. That’s before existing incomes get slashed by higher taxes to lay for all the borrowing. I forget that a lot of peeps on here have never seen a real recession like the 70s or 80s.

We’ll have a recession like 2008 for sure but BA still flew the vast majority of their schedule.

I think, honestly that’s delusional. BA are cutting 12,000 staff. This isn’t like 2001 or 2008.

BA won't cut 12,000 staff. This is a "don't let a good crisis go to waste" moment - a final opportunity to push through getting rid of Eurofleet and Worldwide cabin crew who are paid more than most of the FOs on the A320 (even some longhaul DEP FOs too!) and possibly outsource ground handling at LHR like at LGW with GGS. All above-wing staff are being proposed to be essentially TUPEd to GGS, which is just below wing at the moment. 12,000 was a worst case scenario - it was their opening salvo and among some departments the local figures have already been shown to be unworkable.

I know fleet plans have been changing on a weekly basis and will no doubt change again with the government's foolish quarantine policy but the A380 was planned to return in September. The 747 will soon be doing some South African repatriation flights.

I remember back in 2009 - some of the best performing routes back then were the longhaul leisure destinations from LGW - it'll the same this time around. It's no wonder the latest plan had MCO as a daily flight from July, double daily in August and Tampa as a 5x week with meaningful returns to UVF, ANU and CUN.

BA is well placed to take advantage of the return to normality - European rivals will be saddled with debt, as will US carriers. BA also has one of the more flexible fleets with the ability to add and withdraw capacity quite quickly. For now, the 77W is bringing in useful and substantial amounts of cash from cargo. Competition from Virgin and Norwegian will be substantially lower and while the likes of PIT and CHS won't come back this summer, I'd be surprised if they're not back by summer 2021.

TUGMASTER

Sat May 23, 2020 9:00 am

BA777FO wrote:

For now, the 77W is bringing in useful and substantial amounts of cash from cargo.

As I understand it, the profit from these flights is made by IAG cargo, and not BA.
They are just paid the operating costs, with IAG Cargo being the Company that benefits, and shows on the yearly returns at IAG Mansions.

Junglejames

Sat May 23, 2020 10:24 am

skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Is that just like how they may not restart Gatwick ops? Oh wait......

BA said they may have to cut up to 12000 jobs, and may not restart Gatwick.
Well the threat to Gatwick never lasted long, and I suspect 12000 is massively exaggerated

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Johnwaynebobbet

Sat May 23, 2020 11:33 am

BA777FO wrote:
BA won't cut 12,000 staff. This is a "don't let a good crisis go to waste" moment - a final opportunity to push through getting rid of Eurofleet and Worldwide cabin crew who are paid more than most of the FOs on the A320 (even some longhaul DEP FOs too!) and possibly outsource ground handling at LHR like at LGW with GGS. All above-wing staff are being proposed to be essentially TUPEd to GGS, which is just below wing at the moment. 12,000 was a worst case scenario - it was their opening salvo and among some departments the local figures have already been shown to be unworkable.

Lets hope they take advantage of the situation and get some cruise pilots lined up, that would help the bottom line when good times return.

Brickell305

Sat May 23, 2020 1:13 pm

Junglejames wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

Well the threat to Gatwick never lasted long, and I suspect 12000 is massively exaggerated

Did they announce definitively that LGW would not be cut?

BA777FO

Sat May 23, 2020 1:28 pm

Johnwaynebobbet wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

Lets hope they take advantage of the situation and get some cruise pilots lined up, that would help the bottom line when good times return.

Cruise pilots would be more expensive than FPPs anyway ;)

BA777FO

Sat May 23, 2020 1:40 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

For now, the 77W is bringing in useful and substantial amounts of cash from cargo.

As I understand it, the profit from these flights is made by IAG cargo, and not BA.
They are just paid the operating costs, with IAG Cargo being the Company that benefits, and shows on the yearly returns at IAG Mansions.

That's not true. IAG Cargo performs centralised functions but the annual results breakdown total IAG Cargo revenue per op-co. That's the whole point of IAG - they provide a streamlined centralised operation for functions that can be centralised (such as offering customers more choice of routes and freight products) but revenues are allocated to each op-co. BA made £711m in cargo revenues last year, just under ¾ of total IAG Cargo revenues.

Westerwaelder

Sat May 23, 2020 4:43 pm

BA777FO wrote:
skipness1E wrote:
Arion640 wrote:

I know fleet plans have been changing on a weekly basis and will no doubt change again with the government's foolish quarantine policy but the A380 was planned to return in September. The 747 will soon be doing some South African repatriation flights.

I remember back in 2009 - some of the best performing routes back then were the longhaul leisure destinations from LGW - it'll the same this time around. It's no wonder the latest plan had MCO as a daily flight from July, double daily in August and Tampa as a 5x week with meaningful returns to UVF, ANU and CUN.

BA is well placed to take advantage of the return to normality - European rivals will be saddled with debt, as will US carriers. BA also has one of the more flexible fleets with the ability to add and withdraw capacity quite quickly. For now, the 77W is bringing in useful and substantial amounts of cash from cargo. Competition from Virgin and Norwegian will be substantially lower and while the likes of PIT and CHS won't come back this summer, I'd be surprised if they're not back by summer 2021.

You sound quite relaxed about your colleagues in the cabin losing their jobs? I am sure your statement about being paid more than FOs might be true for the top of their pay scale compared to pilots at the beginning of their career. If you are one of the pilots being let go, the Daily Mail or The Sun might be taking on staff with a sensationalist nature...

BA777FO

Sat May 23, 2020 5:09 pm

Westerwaelder wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

You sound quite relaxed about your colleagues in the cabin losing their jobs? I am sure your statement about being paid more than FOs might be true for the top of their pay scale compared to pilots at the beginning of their career. If you are one of the pilots being let go, the Daily Mail or The Sun might be taking on staff with a sensationalist nature...

Not at all, I think they're being treated terribly. No one should have their contract ripped up and it goes to show that employee rights in the UK are way below par. They're also being badly let down by Unite though. Unite are refusing to negotiate claiming they couldn't possibly when on furlough but that's not the case. Unite is also spreading misinformation saying all 42,000 employees are having their contracts ripped up, again, not true.

I'd be surprised if pilots are made compulsory redundant. There'll be voluntary packages, some pilots will take temporary secondmenta back to the RAF but CR, unlikely. They couldn't crew the operation before this all kicked off.

Not sure what you're saying I said was sensationalist though. It was factually correct, although I should have clarified it was Eurofleet and Worldwide CSDs and CSLs as opposed to maincrew.

Arion640

Sat May 23, 2020 5:27 pm

BA777FO wrote:
Westerwaelder wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

Not at all, I think they're being treated terribly. No one should have their contract ripped up and it goes to show that employee rights in the UK are way below par. They're also being badly let down by Unite though. Unite are refusing to negotiate claiming they couldn't possibly when on furlough but that's not the case. Unite is also spreading misinformation saying all 42,000 employees are having their contracts ripped up, again, not true.

I'd be surprised if pilots are made compulsory redundant. There'll be voluntary packages, some pilots will take temporary secondmenta back to the RAF but CR, unlikely. They couldn't crew the operation before this all kicked off.

Not sure what you're saying I said was sensationalist though. It was factually correct, although I should have clarified it was Eurofleet and Worldwide CSDs and CSLs as opposed to maincrew.

Does the RAF have a pilot shortage then?
1973-2020

BA777FO

Sat May 23, 2020 5:30 pm

Arion640 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
Westerwaelder wrote:

I'm not sure - there may be a shortage of experience that ex-officers can provide. Not all roles will be flying jobs but the number going across from BA to the RAF will be 3 figures (I'd imagine low 3 figures) and they've been in a 3 way discussion with BA, RAF & BALPA for a little while now. It will be temporary, not a permanent move.

Arion640

Sat May 23, 2020 5:33 pm

BA777FO wrote:
Arion640 wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

I'm not sure - there may be a shortage of experience that ex-officers can provide. Not all roles will be flying jobs but the number going across from BA to the RAF will be 3 figures (I'd imagine low 3 figures) and they've been in a 3 way discussion with BA, RAF & BALPA for a little while now. It will be temporary, not a permanent move.

Interesting, thanks.

It’s time to buy IAG shares, could make a nice little investment.
1973-2020

SANFan

Sat May 23, 2020 5:34 pm

chrisp390 wrote:
Rumor is the route was a very bad performer.

Please clarify which route you are referring to.

bb

Junglejames

Sat May 23, 2020 6:57 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Junglejames wrote:
skipness1E wrote:

Did they announce definitively that LGW would not be cut?
Was mentioned on here somewhere.

Wacko55

Sat May 23, 2020 8:08 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
    Tech isn’t slipping by this depression, we’re only at it’s infancy. Budgets have only begun to shrink and expenditures for tech are second only to labor at most organizations. Changes are coming for all sectors.

Maryland hasn’t yanked the subsidy yet. If they do, I agree BWI is in trouble. Yet if it stands I stick by my prediction BWI will be back before most other secondary US markets, even AUS.

Austin will be okay....

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news ... s_headline

stl07

Sun May 24, 2020 10:44 pm

lhrnue wrote:
    With introducing a 14 day quarantine for arriving passengers in the UK (excluding the common travel area) from 8th of June, the British government just killed the British aviation and holiday industry.

And saved their citizens' lives, ya know, the more important part of their job. Now there will be brits left to take the flights next year
    Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
    Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

LAX772LR

Mon May 25, 2020 6:12 am

izbtmnhd wrote:
    AUS is not coming back for a long time no matter how it performed in 2019. Same goes for MSY, PIT and PDX. I don’t see CHS ever coming back.
    hohd wrote:

Many of you don't seem to realize that some of the "3rd tier" routes actually performed better on yield basis than many of BA's longstanding routes, including several superhubs.

Of course there's many more factors than just yield (e.g. available fleet, traffic flows, connections, contracts, tourism strength, etc) that weigh in favor of the large connecting hubs.

That, and until business travel in the post-COVID era can be indemnified against the possibility of infection during travel, we'll likely see int'l business lag far behind int'l leisure and ethnic/VFR traffic; thus no one really knows at this point how and through what means the airlines will respond. Not even the airlines themselves.

IrishAyes wrote:
    BA has had tremendous success with niche markets like BNA, MSY, AUS

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:
    I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos